.45-70 Taurus/BrazTech/Rossi Rio Grande Warranty Issues

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

.45-70 Taurus/BrazTech/Rossi Rio Grande Warranty Issues

Post by Pete44ru »

I ran across this Taurus/Braztech/Rossi warranty thread elsewhere, and thought it pertinent here.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... s-Braztech

While the warranty issues are what they are, I'm wondering why this poster even bought the rifle in the first place - was he so excited to find it that he never inspected it prior to purchase ?

Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: .45-70 Taurus/BrazTech/Rossi Rio Grande Warranty Issues

Post by Stan in SC »

I almost ordered one from my distributor last week.Now I am glad I didn't.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Yeah, buying Rossi is a roll of the dice these days. :|
Luckily mine found a loving home that didn't mind a project.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

I've never had to do anything to mine but shoot it and clean it since I bought it new in '99
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
joec
Levergunner

Post by joec »

I've had a Rossi 92 in 45 Colt for 3 years now. I got it and seemed to work fine. Got it home, cleaned it and ran some snap caps through it with it not feeding. Called Rossi, fed ex picked it up an hour and half later. The 6th business day gun was returned and working perfectly. Put 1000 rounds through it then picked up the Steve Gunz tuneup DVD, kit and safety plug as well as a set of Gunslinger springs from Brownells. I've since put well over 3000 rounds through it from black powder to 300 gr heavy hunting loads.

I picked up a Rio Grande 45-70 5 months ago and again brought it home and cleaned it. I compared it at Bud's (brick and mortar location) to a pair of Marlin's. Now the marlins felt like the action was filled with sand on both guns. Nice looking wood however not fitted real well. Neither came with a big loop nor scope rail and both where better than $700 each. The Rio on the other hand was smooth as silk and when I tore it down at home it was the best internally finished gun I've owed in well over 40 years of buying guns. I only had to relieve the loading gate as it would take off a finger tip but also did a few minutes of polishing as well. I've now put about 400 rounds through it using black powder and several smokeless powders using 405 gr up to 535 gr bullets. I walked out of Bud's with it for $486 including a Bushnell Banner D-D 1.5-4.5x32mm scope mounted. I might add that included 6% sales tax also in the $486. I would call it an excellent gun however like any maker they get a dud once in a while. I've had bad S&W, Rugers, Winchesters, Remington and others through the years. However I will say Taurus and Rossi seem to get a lot of bad reviews mostly by people that get one bad gun and post. However I'm willing to bet for every complaint their are 50 who are happy with their buy. Oh and I also have a few Taurus guns also but all hand guns.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I agree that Rossi's got the Model 92 down pat - but since their Rio Grande model's a relatively new item, it only seems reasonable that there'd be some teething problems.

I wouldn't advise ordering a Rio Grande sight-unseen (PIF, of course); but buying a Rio in person might be feasible, after a good/close inspection - which (evidently) the fella with the warranty issues either didn't do, know what to look for/at, or plain missed the issues with his rifle.

IOW, caveat emptor.........................

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Taurus has had a bad rep with QC and CS for over 20 years, and proven it repeatedly.

Rossi, while inexpensive, generally made guns that work.

I was not amused when Rossi was bought up by Taurus.
44shooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 44shooter »

Taurus has a bad reputation for quality and a terrible reputation for customer service. Taurus proudly advertises their Limetime Warranty. They don't tell you that you are likely to need it for the rest of your life. Rossis are Tauri! Let the buyer beware indeed.

And who puts white line spacers on stocks in the 21st century?

Seriously, I admire Taurus for their inovation. I was particularly interested in the five shot small frame bigbore revolvers they use to make. But, there are so many negative reviews out there, I think I will stick to S&W and Ruger revolvers. As for leverguns, buying used is probably your best bet today except for Uberti and Miruko.

Oh Taurus also loves to catalog models that they do not actually produce.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

The only issues I've had with my .410 Rio Grande are (A) a weak extractor (I ended up blowing mine up with a hot load... but I replaced it with a Marlin Stainless Extractor right quick)

and (B) the .410 barrel turned in the receiver when I tried to drift in a new front sight. Getting it realigned (without the proper bench tools) was a serious PITA.

Other than that, it's been a fine, if rough, Marlin .410 knockoff.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!