Gunsmithing book?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Greg_M
Levergunner

Gunsmithing book?

Post by Greg_M »

I'd like to learn about Gunsmithing and was wondering if anyone would care to recommend a specific book. Mostly I want to learn about lever actions at this point. I'd like to learn about blueing and how actions work and basic tools etc.
Mostly Marlins are my favorite if that makes a difference
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Re: Gunsmithing book?

Post by 765x53 »

"Gunsmithing" by Roy Dunlap is the place to start.
http://www.amazon.com/Gunsmithing-Stack ... unsmithing

Also, the NRA assembly guides are a necessity.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... y%20guides
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

I also like Roy Dunlap's book, although it is kinda "Old School:" you may also want look for a more modern book with some of the present materials and tools that he didn't have. Have a look at some of the gunsmithing videos that are available, too. Many are listed on the online catalog of Midway USA, for example.

Dunlap was an "original"! I have his WWII book "Ordnance Went Up Front" about his experiences as an Ordnance sergeant in North Africa, Italy, and the South Pacific. A very good read if you can find it. He discusses and evaluates all Allied and Axis small arms in his usual salty manner and has a peculiarly "old guy" take on the war that I've heard from several vets who went in 'way after they were 18. If you are an "Officer and Gentleman by an Act of Congress," you may not like what he has to say about US officers in general.... I've heard that elsewhere, too, tho.

For would-be or actual gunsmiths, the book also included P.O. Ackley's "blow up" testing of all common military bolt actions. Some surprises there, at least in 1945. And some of the myths that Ackley busted STILL persist, like the extreme strength of the US 1917 Enfield action and the extreme weakness of the Italian Carcano!
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

Also NRA Gunsmithing Guide Updated edition and the GunKinks series from Brownells.
Pierre
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I've pulled a lot of good tips from "Accurizing the Factory Rifle" by M.L. McPherson. And it's easily available.

And hey, Welcome to the Forum to Mike Armstrong. Like the lady mosquito, we always like to have new blood show up!
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

McPherson's is a great book full of knowledge.

"Gunsmithing made easy" by Bryce Towsley is a good basic book with lots of pictures. He covers triggers,cutting off and crowning barrels, polishing chambers and bores. Plus some levergun projects. Not a big book but it covers a lot of basics very well. It's $12 on Amazon well worth it.
Greg_M
Levergunner

Post by Greg_M »

So far I have bought

Bob Brownell's Gunsmith Kinks

and

Marlin Firearms: A History of the Guns and the Company That Made Them

I might wait a bit before buying more so the "significant wife" doesn't ask too many questions
8)
soon 2 retire
Levergunner 2.0

Post by soon 2 retire »

I hope you have a kindle because I just downloaded Roy Dunlap's book Gunsmithing for free. It's real hard to beat free.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA
Don't look back something might be gaining on you.
-Leroy "Satchel" Paige
Greg_M
Levergunner

Post by Greg_M »

soon 2 retire wrote:I hope you have a kindle because I just downloaded Roy Dunlap's book Gunsmithing for free. It's real hard to beat free.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA

The wife does :)

PS
I read the reviews on Amazon and noticed the main complaint is about it being "outdated"....
I am also an astronomer and a machinist and my favorite reference book for astronomy oriented devices is a compilation of articles from Scientific American circa 1925. Grind your own glass (nothing comercial was available) and make molds of sand for pouring aluminum and brass for casting telescope mounts. Old? Yes. But there is a wealth of information in the "old books". Maybe not device specific, but deffinately technique specific.

Soon as the wife gets home I'll have her download it for me
Thanks
G
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

earlmck wrote: And hey, Welcome to the Forum to Mike Armstrong. Like the lady mosquito, we always like to have new blood show up!
Well leave it to old senile earlmck to notice one new forum member when we really have two new fellows here on the same thread. Anyway, big welcome to Greg_M, who started this gunsmith book topic: got a feeling this is a stump you can enjoy sitting on Greg...
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Thanks for the welcome, guys! I used to yap on this forum quite a bit back in the day when I lived in upstate NYS and actually worked for a living, but lost all contact, along with my computer, when I moved to CA to retire. From one anti-gun state to another, for sure, but I'm good at getting along with the authorities--have lived in 8 different states and "never indicted."

Now that I'm retired, I read and participate in several forums and decided to get back on this one instead of just lurkin'. If I get too windy (count on it), just shut me down.

Been passing my levers to my kids, but still have a few and still shoot them regularly. Just wish it didn't involve such a long drive! On the other hand, I can go on a Tuesday when all the gangbangers are doing whatever it is that they do when they aren't waving AKs around.
Greg_M
Levergunner

Post by Greg_M »

soon 2 retire wrote:I hope you have a kindle because I just downloaded Roy Dunlap's book Gunsmithing for free. It's real hard to beat free.

Bob in Friday Harbor, WA

Not free no more.
Glad I got it downloaded.
Downloaded it from the Kindle to my Linux PC, but can't ead it there, but can store it