Colt Python anib- Finale

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Colt Python anib- Finale

Post by pwl44m »

One of My gun stores called Me yesterday and said He just put out 2 Pythons. Both 4 in barrels and blue.
One is anib dated 1971. Beautiful Gun and desirable, 2 gs asking price. I think it will be there a while then maybe I will make an offer. Then again that might be a good price according to GB. I caint seem to find what guns "sold" for. Asking prices are higher than 2 gs for nib. What say Ye ?
Other one is pretty well used by the appearance. Still has a lot of blue but looks to have been cleaned a lot. Blue wear isnt in the usual places for a carry gun (holster wear on barrel and cylinder) And a lot of varnish gone off the grips. He is calling it 75%. It might have 75% blue but overall it is not a 75% gun in My estimation. Manufactured in 1968. Price $750.
I wasn't going to waste Ur time with this but when I saw the other CARP keep coming to the top I thought what the heck. I haven't had a Python in a long time.
Perry
Last edited by pwl44m on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt Python anib

Post by FWiedner »

I have a 4" Python in my Dad's safe. I'd wanted one for years before I finally found that one.

It's a beautiful, but delicate thing, with a trigger that's smooth like no other revolver that I own.

For several years it was my favorite.

I eventually bought a 4" GP100 and put the Python in the safe because full power .357 loads seemed to be shaking the poor thing apart.

Not to go on a tangent, but I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the Ruger.

I 'loaned' the Python to my Dad because he liked it (a lot) but with him being a fan of .32s, I was pretty sure that he'll never put a round through it.

I miss the Python, but I'll see it again someday. I hope. :lol:

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I had a roller sear installed in my 4" Python. There used to be a retired Trooper in Florida who did this modification and I wanted to compete with my duty gun. Asked him make the single action trigger pull 4 lbs while he was installing the roller sear for the double action. It came back with both pulls at 4 lbs.!!! You just can't imagine how great it is. I put a set of Hogue grips on it too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

In working the actions on both, the used one actualy felt smoother.
@ FW, I also have a GP100 4in that is shall We say as smooth as the Python.
Don't know that I need another Safe Queen but We will see.
@ MM, what is this roller sear U speak of ?
Perry
Mike Hunter
Member Emeritus

Post by Mike Hunter »

Python is awfully nice, but as some have noted the lock work is a bit delicate, and not many folks around still know how to work on Colt’s double hand locking mechanism.
I had a 4in python in “Ultimate” stainless, my wife shot it and decided it was hers.
The one for $750 might be a good deal if it not beat to death, if you pass, I might be interested

V/R

Mike
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My WAG: They won't be there very long, if somebody that knows what they're looking at happens by - even @ $2K for the NIB example.

If you really want a Python, I'd suggest you move on the used one, tuit' suite'....................

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

$750 plus 350-400 for a full Colt rebuild /re-finish equals a pretty cheap, and darn nice snake these days :D
----- Doug
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

Reminds me of one of my great regrets.......it was late 90's & a local shop had gotten in from an LEO's estate and a well used Colt Python. It was scratched and worn but action was ultra smooth, timing perfect, and it locked up great. Price was $150 including some partial boxes of ammo, holsters and speedloaders. I said no, thought about it over night and went back a couple days later and it was gone.

I've always regretted letting that one get past me.

Wm
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I'm feeling a little Coercion here. Arenn't U Guys supposed to tell Me it is a piece of junk and the price is too high and I should just walk away, walk away Perry. On the other hand a complete rebuild don't sound bad. I called the store Fri but My Guy was busy and He never called Me back. Thought about calling all day yesterday and the time just got away. Tues will be My next shot. I know U Guys r pulling for Me.
Perry
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

In the last 6-8 months we've sold a pair of Python's . One was a blued 6" that was made in the 60's . Blueing was about 95% and I had actually fired the gun in a couple PPC matches 25 years ago ! The guy we were selling it for is a good friend that I've known for maybe 30 years .

Anyway the blued one with no box , the original grips and a set of Hogue aftermarket grips went for $1800 .

The other we had was made n the 90's and was NIB stainless and 4" , that one went for $3000 .This one we were selling for a guy that had a shop back a few years and this was one of several guns he had set back . We've moved a couple other things for him that were NIB from the 80's and 90's that brought a small mint on GB .i

So I suppose it's a matter of how bad you want something or rather how much money you're willing to part with . The NIB stainless one we got $3000 for would surely drop in price ALOT if they new owner decided to shoot it . Where as the used blued one if taken care of shouldn't drop much if at all and just might increase in value .

Don't get me wrong with what I'm about to say , as I've always liked the look of a Python . But in actual use I don't care for the cylinder release on any Colt double action for that matter it's completley backwards to a Smith or Ruger revolver . With a Smith or Ruger it's easy to pop it open one handed with your firing hand still holding the gun by he grip . With a Colt I find I need to hands for the same operation .And to do so the gun needs to change position in my shooting hand .

Truely a small matter to some folks , but on the other hand something i never cared for just the same !
Last edited by 6pt-sika on Sun May 26, 2013 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

(maybe I'll talk you out of it) (grin)

Pythons are nice, but two large for one? I refuse to have a gun that I can't shoot and I'd rather have one that's beat up, scratched and worn but something I won't worry to lose value if I run some rounds through it.

Maybe, maybe I'd consider the other one, but I don't see $750 on a beat up gun, even a Colt Python. And a revolver, they are just not in favor these days.

So saying, I've shot both. Pythons when set correctly have amazing lockwork. However at the price of that precision come delicacy. Keep shooting those fire-breathing .357 rounds and you will rattle things loose. Sad too, it's such a beautiful gun.

I was just out yesterday with my Ruger GP100 (4 inch) and multiple boxes of leftover .38 and .357 rounds, all my old reloads and box remnants. Rounds were light load wadcutters to, "whoa, what was that?!?

Yes, the trigger is not quite as nice. Yes, it has all that stupid writing on the side. But I had a great time and the dirt clods downrange didn't know the difference.

And I know I"ll have to shoot a trashcans full of hot load brass, or get excessively, excessively stupid (Rugers are good for single stupid, you have to be double stupid) before I shoot one loose or blow it up.

It's stainless, got a nice set of pretty wood Hogue grips on it (wife picked 'em out!) and I'm perfectly happy with it.

For the difference in the price between the Ruger and Python, You can buy a lot of reloading components.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Didn't phase Me a bit wescoger, Ur gonna have to try sumpthin else. I have 2 Trooper Mk 3s, 1 in 357 and 1 in 22, both 8in barrels and I have a GP100 that is like new. I wouldn't look for a Python but since the Guy called Me and looking it sparked My interest. Don't get Me wrong- I appreciate Ur input.
@ 6pt, I totally agree with Ur disdain for the cyl release on a Colt, while I can do it with one hand it is quite diff than the others saving the DW which I really don't care for and I caint tell U why. The prices U mention are pretty much what I found on GB so the prices on these might be OK. But at any price I still will have to try My hand at Jewing. This town really isn't geared for high prices so maybe they will still be there Tuesday.
Perry
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

pwl44m wrote:I'm feeling a little Coercion here. Arenn't U Guys supposed to tell Me it is a piece of junk and the price is too high and I should just walk away, walk away...
We can't help it - we just LOVE spending YOUR money... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well they're still there, they said someone offered $3000 out the door for both and called back later to say something came up and couldn't let go of the money. Yea right. any how I offered $550 for the used one. They are consignment Guns so they have to call the Owner.
Went back to another store to look at a 94 they have. They haven't cleaned it yet so don't know if the bore will clean up. But they did have a nice little Win mod 12 in 20 gauge for $600. Will post more when I know more.
Perry
Came back to add that the new one is said to be unfired. They belonged to the consigners Dad.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

Keep dealing, I think the 3 grand was a bluff.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Birdman wrote:Keep dealing, I think the 3 grand was a bluff.
Yea kinda what I was thinking. 3000 out the door would only be saving about $25. What kind of offer is that. I was thinking of offering 2gs.
Like I said this aint the town for that kind of money. I'll wait and call Their bluff.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Colt Python anib- Finale

Post by pwl44m »

Went back in yesterday and they were both gone (thk U Lord). The Guys says "U snooze U lose" I said I don't consider it a loss. I have unfired safe Queens and to spend $3000 on some more. Not at this point in time, I have other interests. I only have 1 regret and that is that someone here expressed interest and I didn't turn Him on to it. Sorry Mike Hunter.
Perry
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

pwl44m wrote:Went back in yesterday and they were both gone (thk U Lord). The Guys says "U snooze U lose" I said I don't consider it a loss.
I take the Zen approach. If I talk myself into it and it's still there, it was meant to be. If I talk myself into it and it's gone when I get there, then it wasn't meant to be.

Saves me a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

awp101 wrote:
pwl44m wrote:Went back in yesterday and they were both gone (thk U Lord). The Guys says "U snooze U lose" I said I don't consider it a loss.
I take the Zen approach. If I talk myself into it and it's still there, it was meant to be. If I talk myself into it and it's gone when I get there, then it wasn't meant to be.

Saves me a bunch of wailing and gnashing of teeth... :lol:
Not only that, but seems when buy a toy, you find 6 others in the next 4 days you would have rather bought.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

AWP & 3 leg, That's the way I look at it, didn't have My name on it. And I am looking at something else. I don't like the cylinder release on a Colt anyhow. :lol:
Perry
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was just down at my buds and he told me the same thing, but added that Anaconda's are also at the 2-G mark and.................this I could not believe......King Cobras are at the $1,200 mark.--------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..