a levergun and a submarine and memorial day

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

a levergun and a submarine and memorial day

Post by Grizz »

Saw a Cary Grant movie today, Destination Tokyo, made in 44. Anyone seen it?

The shore party doing recon on the Tokyo waterfront ahead of the Doolittle raid is packing a Winchester 94, I think. It's handed down to the shore boat from the sub and carried ashore strapped to radio gear.

I'm thinking the premise is made up, but is it fact? Was there a sub in Tokyo bay before the raid?

Good movie. Blurry parts here and there but a decent memorial to the submariners and the dangers they endured.

As a civilian I would like to thank my family members who served and lived and died in wars, I would like to thank all the servicemen who went, those who came back, and those who could not. Your valor is appreciated. Your sacrifices are mourned. And thanks also to those who are serving now, may you survive intact, and may your tribe increase.

God Bless,

Mr and Mrs Grizz
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: a levergun and a submarine and memorial day

Post by Griff »

IMDB sez made in 1943. And I doubt that any such information would havve become public at that early date. Since the stated purpose of the raid was to de-moralize Japan's citizens and bolster our own, I suspect a great deal of cooperation was given to the production company.

And, as a vet, I humbly accept, your thanks, and heartilly echo your sentiments for all those that served before, while and since I did! Image Image
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Model 52B
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Model 52B »

I own a copy on DVD. I've read extensively about the Doolittle raid and submarine operations in the Pacific and I've never seen anything to indicate we had a submarine in Tokyo Bay during the raid.

On January 7th 1942 the USS Pollack sank a freighter off the entrance to Tokyo Bay and the area around the entrance was a regular patrol area throughout the war. However US submarines did not start entering the actual bay until 1944, and at one point in 1945, we had enough command of the naval situation that a US sub actually engaged targets with it's gun while inside the bay.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I think I recall seeing the USS Pollack plaque at Pearl Harbor earlier this year.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Grizz, I've seen the movie several times in the past but actually was flippin channels today and saw the part you just described-with the leverguns being handed down to the rubber raft. Can't say I ever caught sight of those Winchesters before.
Would these leverguns actually have been used in a situation like this?

And, God bless all those who served in the military to protect our liberties, especially those in "The greatest generation."
It saddens me that our country has sunk to the level of our enemies we fought during WW2.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Model 52B,

My thought too is that part is fiction. But might it have been psy-ops against the Japanese to inch them toward surrender?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Grizz wrote:Model 52B,

My thought too is that part is fiction. But might it have been psy-ops against the Japanese to inch them toward surrender?
Good point. The Winchester 92 would have sort of a John Wayne effect on the enemy. :twisted:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

That's funny Doc, I was thinking along the lines of the Japanese finding out when the movie came out that our subs were penetrating their defenses in 41... it was all fiction but by then the couldn't be sure. I think they never tumbled to the fact that their crypto was read all the way through.

UncleBuck, I don't know how common lever guns might have been on subs, but they have their place and I think the Navy did have some in inventory, although I can't document that. Probably a good fit for farm kids who find themselves using a radio from a small cove near Tokyo, even if it is just a movie.
Eye-Bite!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Eye-Bite! »

It's a movie and not a Documentary. Kinda like the line in the movie Animal House.... "Remember when the Germans Bombed Pearl harbor"
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Eye-Bite! wrote:It's a movie and not a Documentary. Kinda like the line in the movie Animal House.... "Remember when the Germans Bombed Pearl harbor"
that's true, but it does include the Doolittle raid showing the historic footage. hollywood plays large with the truth. in its day it was meant as entertainment with a propaganda sidebar.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Eye-Bite! wrote:It's a movie and not a Documentary. Kinda like the line in the movie Animal House.... "Remember when the Germans Bombed Pearl harbor"
What do you mean?
That movie was a play by play documentary of my collage career.
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

IN Blaine Pardoe's book "Lost Eagles" I read that in the early days of military aviation in the America military (i.e. WWI) areial observation crews who were only issued pistols were found they were out gunned by other planes and ground forces had purchased by mail order winchester rifles model 94

Now I think it is funny that they picked the winchester mod 94 a hunting rifle shooting a non standard cartridge (a 1895 carbine in 30-06 would seem to make more sense) maybe it was the price and availibility at the time.

I also found that the Royal Flying Corps used the winchester mod 94 in military service during the early days of world war one. There was also a special model of the 94 ordered by a reserve or home guard unit in pacific coast of Canada.

I also recall seeing pictures of Phillipine guerillas using Winchester 94 but these were probably not mil issued......a case of whatever was handy was dandy.

My neighbor said US Coast Guard units had Winchester 94s they used on sharks when rescuing downed pilots.......he said they were left over from running down bootleggers bringing in rum during prohibition.