Auction Weakness 1-S&W Lemon Squeezer [updated-RangeReport]

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Auction Weakness 1-S&W Lemon Squeezer [updated-RangeReport]

Post by FatJackDurham »

I was at the Merrill's auction in Williston, VT, all day Saturday, hoping to score a Rolling Block No. 5 7mm, that had been mislisted as a .25 cal. While waiting, this other lot came up. A S&W 38 hammerless in "As Found" condition....

They had already sold a similar First Model, but this one, no one wanted. The auctioneer kept dropping the opening bid: $100where$50where$25whatamIbid$25where$20! So I raised my paddle. Heck, for $20, it looked like an interesting project. Sure enough, when I cashed out, it turned out the gun was rusted and frozen. They couldn't even open it to clear it. No wonder no one wanted it. Well, I spent four hours working on it today after soaking it in Blaster overnight.

By the way, Blaster is useless. It did nothing. I wish I had tried that automatic transmission fluid mix I read on this forum. Anyway, I'll say this, Messieurs Smith and Wesson sure love their tiny little pins. I finally got it apart enough to start cleaning and polishing it. I couldn't get the firing ping out, nor could I separate the extractor, the screw head was just to tight. But here is the exploded parts for it. Later this week I'll soak it in rust dissolver, then I thought I would try brake fluid to get rid of the plating, though that might only work on chrome, and this must certainly be nickel plating right? Serial is 107924, making it a Third Model, made 1890 - 1898. Probably 1897, since the Model 4s started at 116000 in 1898, right?

Despite the exterior crud, the bearing surfaces of the pins and all are very smooth. It was the lateral rust on the parts that had it all bound. And the bore is pretty good, though the muzzle might be too rusted. We'll see.

[update]

Done with the springs and took it to the range. Gun shoots high and left at 12 yards. If I aim at the barcode, I can hit the center target.

Last edited by FatJackDurham on Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: Auction Weakness 1 - S&W Lemon Squeezer

Post by Sixgun »

Man! You don't fool around when you take something apart! Personally, when I get something like that I soak it for a week before I even attempt to turn a screw, and yes, I like PB Blaster or Kroil.

I've had a mess of those S&W Lemon Squeezers over the years and they have all been very good shooters with no issues.

$20? Highway robbery. :D Nice snag!---------------6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Really? I'll give Blaster the benefit of the doubt then. I like it for curing the rust blue.... and it doesnt leave a residue like WD40....

I plan to rust blue this when done. Have you ever take then split slot nuts off of these? Is their a special tool? I tried to make one, but it kept breaking and I didn't want to bugger the bolt slots.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Great project and thanks for the pics!
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

FatJackDurham wrote:Really? I'll give Blaster the benefit of the doubt then. I like it for curing the rust blue.... and it doesnt leave a residue like WD40....

I plan to rust blue this when done. Have you ever take then split slot nuts off of these? Is their a special tool?
Jack,
No...no...and double no ..................for using PB Blaster, WD-40 or ANY oil that has a solvent in it for curing rust blue! It will dissolve the blue..................Always........use a non solvent oil like Rem-Oil. After the last boiling, let it sit for a day or 2 then heat it up so its hot to the touch and then spray 'till the cows come home.

On that tool...yes, they make one but I never fooled or bought one. I just did what you did....make one........and if it is too hard to remove, leave it be.----------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Once again, Sixgun, thanks for all the tips... I will definitely review them before I do my next rust bluing.......
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

OH! OH! I see the parts needed to fix MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:OH! OH! I see the parts needed to fix MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
FJD, I'd hold out for $30 plus shipping... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Auction Weakness 1 - S&W Lemon Squeezer [Update]

Post by FatJackDurham »

Griff wrote:OH! OH! I see the parts needed to fix MINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't laugh.

http://youtu.be/JgMU9_tF4xE

I broke all the leaf springs after I put it back together. They were too brittle....
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Auction Weakness 1 - S&W Lemon Squeezer-update youtube v

Post by Griff »

Sorry 'bout that. I'm missing some parts, but haven't seen a good diagram to know what is missing.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Auction Weakness 1 - S&W Lemon Squeezer-update youtube v

Post by FatJackDurham »

Chicoine himself sells some parts with a diagram

http://www.oldwestgunsmith.com/gunparts/swhome.htm

also,

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacture ... -38377.htm

numrich has some. I am getting two springs from Numrich, and have email Choicoine about the others. You know, i thought you were kidding. If i had known you were serious, i would have sold you this gun at cost .... If i cant get the other two spings, do you really need parts? I could cancel my numrich order...
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Okay, after emailing Mr. Chicoine, he doesnt sell parts any more, but referred me to Jack First, a company that makes obsolete parts.

However, I remembered that I have Chicoine book on antique firearms, and it explained how to remove the firing pin. I was able to remove it and determine the spring was salvageable, so now i am down to needing one spring.....
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I made a new spring for the Lemon Squeezer. When I picked up my Roller from the gunsmith, he gave me a chunk of spring steel and told me how to make a spring. I bought two springs for the mainspring and trigger spring, and I salvaged the firing ping spring. So, the only spring left was the cylinder stop spring, which is the one I had to make.

Below, the new spring is in along the lower grip strap. The broken spring is below and the leftover chunk of spring steel (will make a new extractor for my Roller)

From the quarter, you can see better how the spring tips up onto the lever that reaches through the trigger and up to stop the cylinder from spinning.

The original spring had a half moon under the wide flat leaf spring that was pinned in. I knew I don't have the skills to grind a perfect wide leaf spring out of the spring steel, so I opted for an narrower, thicker spring in the same vein as a winchester style extractor. Then, I tempered it per the instructions from my gunsmith. That is why it is so sooty here.