pennies

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

pennies

Post by Sigmar »

Since I'm known for stupid questions here goes another one. However this was asked of me and I didn't have an answer. Can you mold bullets out of pennies ?
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Re: pennies

Post by Hawkeye2 »

No. Pennies are made of zinc with a thin copper wash.
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

what about pre-1983 pennies, were made of 95% copper and 5% zinc.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

With the proper dies, you might be able to "draw" the copper pennies, to make a bullet jacket, and then swage a bullet with the appropriate caliber dies.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Okay, how about this. In the past muzzle loading shotguns were loaded with all sorts of stuff, rocks, nails, rock salt, what have you. And folks have been known to load some interesting things into shot shells. So, for a short range proposition how about using those pennies in either a muzzle loading or shot shell of 10 ga? The diameter of a penny is .750 in, and the inside diameter of a 10 ga (no choke) is .775 in.

Hmm, I wonder what would be cheaper, a slug of lead or one from melted pennies? Of course the penny slug would be lighter, but for up close and personal...
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Remember those toy guns sold in drug stores and places that shot little plastic disks? Several years ago, a friend and I wanted to make a steel and aluminum version that would shoot pennies (oriented like a frisbee) - we were going to call it "the Lincoln Launcher" :lol:
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

It would be interesting to see how a stack of pennies would fly after leaving a shotgun barrel, using one of those high speed cameras to film it. What about a stack of appropiate sized washers from a 12 gauge?

Kevin
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Mac in Mo wrote:It would be interesting to see how a stack of pennies would fly after leaving a shotgun barrel, using one of those high speed cameras to film it. What about a stack of appropiate sized washers from a 12 gauge?

Kevin
FWIW Mythbusters did dimes and washers. Didnt work very good, but mind is not to sure. However a length of chain shot out of cannon worked real good.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

jeepnik wrote:Okay, how about this. In the past muzzle loading shotguns were loaded with all sorts of stuff, rocks, nails, rock salt, what have you. And folks have been known to load some interesting things into shot shells. So, for a short range proposition how about using those pennies in either a muzzle loading or shot shell of 10 ga? The diameter of a penny is .750 in, and the inside diameter of a 10 ga (no choke) is .775 in.
I thought about dimes in a 12 gauge but figured my luck they'd get stuck and blow the barrel up.

OTOH - plastic sabots (shotgun wad type or pistol-bullet-in-muzzleloader type or 223-in-308 type have always been potential vehicles for 'shot' loads ranging from bb shot to pea gravel or whatever).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

3leggedturtle wrote:
Mac in Mo wrote:It would be interesting to see how a stack of pennies would fly after leaving a shotgun barrel, using one of those high speed cameras to film it. What about a stack of appropiate sized washers from a 12 gauge?

Kevin
FWIW Mythbusters did dimes and washers. Didnt work very good, but mind is not to sure. However a length of chain shot out of cannon worked real good.
Now are you talking about two balls chained together from one cannon, or the one that used two balls chained together with each ball being shot out of separate barrels? I know the two barrel job didn't work too well. Killed more gunners than enemy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

They put about a 6foot length of chain in 1 cannon and shot at a target. Tore the silhouettes almost in half
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

Thunder50 wrote:With the proper dies, you might be able to "draw" the copper pennies, to make a bullet jacket, and then swage a bullet with the appropriate caliber dies.
what about solid ball made from them as you would lead?
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Alice ( Milla Jovovich ) loaded quarters in her shotgun shells in Resident Evil: Afterlife. Made hash out of the baddies. :mrgreen:

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
44-40 Willy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 44-40 Willy »

Don't know if the story is true or not, but Billy the Kid supposedly killed a deputy with a shotgun loaded with dimes. Considering what a dime was worth back then, it was some pretty expensive shooting if true.
44-40 Winchester. Whacking varmits and putting meat on the table since 1873.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

44-40 Willy wrote:Don't know if the story is true or not, but Billy the Kid supposedly killed a deputy with a shotgun loaded with dimes. Considering what a dime was worth back then, it was some pretty expensive shooting if true.
not true...just a myth...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPbGvjslY6A

This fellow has shot a lot of different things out of a 12 GA even dimes.

Good slow motion stuff as well.

--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sometimes he uses rocks-------------?????????????????
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ES59LtA7XE8
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

so much for my question :roll:
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Sigmar wrote:so much for my question :roll:
well, I guess if you have a use for zinc bullets, you could make them out of pennies. Probably still illegal (destroying currency) if you worry about such things.

I think copper would stick to your bullet mold, as it melts at a much higher temp than zinc and lead alloys. Copper and alloys like brass are more typically investment cast - a refractory plaster (called investment) mold is made around a wax positive, and the wax is burned out in a furnace - also pre-heating the mold. Once the wax is gone, molten metal is poured into the mold, and once it cools the mold is smashed to reveal the casting.
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

jeepnik wrote:Okay, how about this. In the past muzzle loading shotguns were loaded with all sorts of stuff, rocks, nails, rock salt, what have you. And folks have been known to load some interesting things into shot shells. So, for a short range proposition how about using those pennies in either a muzzle loading or shot shell of 10 ga? The diameter of a penny is .750 in, and the inside diameter of a 10 ga (no choke) is .775 in.

Hmm, I wonder what would be cheaper, a slug of lead or one from melted pennies? Of course the penny slug would be lighter, but for up close and personal...
Check out "The Rifle and Hound in Ceylon" http://books.lakdiva.org/riflehound/chap03.html by Samuel White Baker, chapter 3 'Bull Buffalo Receives His Small Change.'
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

You can do whatever you want to a penny.. Or any other currency or coin.. Drill it; mill it; melt it; hammer it, bend it... no problem.. You just can't attempt to use it as Money, after it has been mutilated...
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Sigmar
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Sigmar »

92&94 wrote:
Sigmar wrote:so much for my question :roll:
well, I guess if you have a use for zinc bullets, you could make them out of pennies. Probably still illegal (destroying currency) if you worry about such things.

I think copper would stick to your bullet mold, as it melts at a much higher temp than zinc and lead alloys. Copper and alloys like brass are more typically investment cast - a refractory plaster (called investment) mold is made around a wax positive, and the wax is burned out in a furnace - also pre-heating the mold. Once the wax is gone, molten metal is poured into the mold, and once it cools the mold is smashed to reveal the casting.
thx
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've done the dimes. Does lots of damage to underbrush around your target.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS