Shooting .44 Specials out of a .44 Mag 1892?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Shooting .44 Specials out of a .44 Mag 1892?

Post by steve817 »

When I mentioned in a post a little while back that the 240 gr magnum soft points I was shooting out of my 1892 were beating me to death, someone mentioned trying .44 specials out of it which I did. My shoulder was thankful however the bullets were hitting way high at 50 yards. By way high I mean about 8 inches. Is this normal? Is it the overall length of the cartridge affecting the bullet path or what? I did expect some change but nothing like this. After moving my rear sights down as far as they will go, it still shoots about 2 inches high at 50 yards, I can deal with that but when I threw some magnum rounds in again, they were shooting about 6 inches too low as a result.

In that same post JohndeFresno suggested magnum hulls using lighter loads. I guess that will be my next step. But still want to hear what others think about what is going on here.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Shooting .44 Specials out of a .44 Mag 1892?

Post by Griff »

More than likely, it is the slower bullet is taking longer to travel thru the barrel... resulting in recoil have more effect on your trajectory than the much faster magnum rounds.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

I expected if anything at all the special rounds to hit lower than the magnum rounds.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

What you are seeing is the result of lower velocity. It means a whole new trajectory, caused by several factors, and will occur whether you use Special cases or Magnums for your .44 Special-level loads. If you settle on the slower load as your chosen standard, you'll need to readjust your rear sight lower, and possibly switch to a higher front sight if there's insufficient adjustment in the rear.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

steve817 wrote:I expected if anything at all the special rounds to hit lower than the magnum rounds.
Aye, it's counter-intuitive, but... that time in barrel is just enough longer that it allows the recoil to have a major effect on the trajectory.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Out of my 1894 Trapper, I saw hardly any change to POA/POI between .44 mag and .44 specials at 25-50 yard ranges, if anything the specials were a hair lower (though within the margin of error for my shooting abilities). Now, for plinking, I load my mag cases to special levels and am GTG -- no sight adjustment necessary.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

here's another possibility. with the magnum loads you are anticipating recoil and moving the barrel down as you touch off the shot. recently saw a super slow-mo video of someone doing exactly that. at 1200 frames per second the playback is long enough to see every phase of the process. he pulled the muzzle down at every shot.

I don't know what the difference in lock time is in the first 20 inches of movement, anyone have that info?

I agree that using mag brass for the lighter load makes sense.

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Faster loads shoot lower in many guns, pistol and rifle. Barrel is pointing at a higher angle when the bullet exits the barrel as Griff said. Lock time refers to the time for the firing pin to strike the cartridge after the trigger is pulled I believe and irrelevant here.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Maybe the Specials are losing velocity as the bullet jumps to get into the rifling and gas escapes by. I think trying the Mag cases with light loads is a good place to start and then if you cant move the sights more you may have to adjust the projectile weight to get the impact where you want it.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yep, I tailord a rabbit load at 38special levels in 357 cases to the point they are a similar height at 50 to the magnum loads.
Super sonic trials shot to low so I kept trimming back untill muzzle lift gave the bullet some help so to speak (longer barrel time).

You are witnessing the effects of longer barrel time!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

sorry OS, I was thinking of the travel time in the barrel. For clarity I'll just refer to it as travel time in the barrel.

normally, in my carbines, the heavier bullets print higher at close ranges, all else being equal, meaning without altering the sights. I don't know what the travel time in the barrel is for the various loads that I have observed this with. I see it with hand guns too. I don't know what the travel time is in those barrels either.

I am sceptical that recoil can alter the POI of a bullet much at all because, in the high speed videos I've watched, the bullet is away before the gun reacts. It would help if we knew the travel time in the barrel though... :D