Emergency bags, what do you carry?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Emergency bags, what do you carry?

Post by sore shoulder »

This subject just came up in the good Dr's minimalist thread, thought it might be a fun thread of its own.

I live in a remote region of the Rockies, and we have traveled long distances weekly (over 100 miles over 11,000 ft passes) for years and years (yes, we go through vehicles often).

I began putting things in the vehicles as a just in case contingency like some non perishable food items, warm clothes and boots, gloves, blankets, water etc. Then I began considering if at some point the roads were bad, car went into a drift on a detour (some can be pretty rugged and remote if the interstate or hiways close) and it was required to walk out ( I think this was prompted by the guy who got lost and stuck with his wife and baby in the Sierras) maybe we should have it in a bag or knapsack. ( I'm purposely avoiding the common prepper word for this, humor me :lol: )

So the knapsack started with basic hiking essentials since we already had a bunch of those. I was a scout as a boy and always made sure we all had some basic essentials for just in case. So each sack got a few ziplock bags with certain things.

Since I've accumulated a few extra they all have a few MRE's, but there are other high calorie non perishables that work, dried salami, sardines, raisins and nuts comes to mind, Im sure you guys have a few ideas.

Then hat, gloves, scarf, wool socks, lightweight but warm fleece coat.

Water filtration-I found bottles that have a quality built in filter as you drink it.

Then several ways to start fires, lighter, matches, firestarters (wax and sawdust) lockback knife, space blanket, first aid kit, compass, state map, glow sticks, flashlight, candles.

Theres a few other things but none of this adds up to very much weight, I bought some inexpensive medium sized internal frame packs at WalMart so they could be dedicated for the vehicles instead of using our hiking sacks.

In addition the cars all have a small container with hatchet, duct tape, wet wipes, kleenex, feminine products, folding shovel, folding saw and small tool kit. Then at least one sleeping bag or blanket, I responded to a few accidents with the FD where people were about to freeze to death in their stalled cars, also the shovel can be used to dig out snow from around the exhaust if its still running, seen that problem too, or even dig the car out if possible.

I'll be honest, I've used this stuff to help others more than I've needed it for myself.

So what do you guys carry if anything?
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Emergency bags, what do you carry?

Post by 2ndovc »

I just re-did my Jeep bag about two weeks ago. Here in OH I really don't have to worry about being stuck/ hiking for days but it's always possible to be in a ditch for a day or two.

In the back of my Jeep I have insulated rubber boots and an H&R 18 1/2" barrel 12 gage and 50 rounds of ammunition. Plus two blankets, a tow strap and a boonie hat. Along with various hand tools.
In my back pack I have several gel fuel packs, a small survival kit that has multiple items in a water proof container such as lighters, matches, Maglite Solitaire, bandages, compass, Case pocket knife, etc. Also in my pack are wool socks, wool hat, wool scarf. Glock Field Knife. Large flashlight and spare batteries. More 12 gage rounds, a box of .223's and 50 rounds for my CCW/.380. Canteen and a few MRE's.
Overkill probably for Northern Ohio but I do travel once and awhile and you never know.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Given the fact that I catch two or three mice PER WEEK in the mousetraps I keep on the floor of the back seat (and no, I don't eat in my car or ever keep chicken or goat feed in it overnight), I can't keep ANYTHING that isn't in screw-top 5-gallon pails or ammo-cans (try explaining to the traffic officer why your vehicle registration looks like confetti... :oops: ).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

I hear ya AJ, the packs come in at night for that reason. And you reminded me I need to put a couple traps in the truck tonight. Spring has sprung.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a simular situation in N.M.
I carry the basics as you do.
Laugh if you want, but kotex make good battle dressings.
I invested heavily in vehicles, none of them are stock, I expect them to keep me from such, but I still carry the kit.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Mescalero wrote: Laugh if you want, but kotex make good battle dressings.
No laughing here, all our med kits have cheap maxi pads, sterile and highly absorbent.
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You would be surprised at how many guys can not bring themselves to buy them.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Real men aren't afraid to buy feminine products. :lol:

I have a wife and daughter. :cry:
11B30
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I never even gave it a second thought,
did I mention my mind does not function normally?
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I have a tool bag of some basic hand tools in my vehicle that does not come out. I carry a rifle, currently it's been my win 94, and two handguns, usually a 45 and a 380. I carry a hand axe. I have a full hiking pack which has clothes, fire, water purification, shelter, sleeping bag, food and first aide kit. I carry lots of ammo. I use the same pack to hike the Appalachian trail. I have boots and a water proof jacket.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a steel box that stays in the back of the truck... it contains correct size radiator hose, spare clamps, a length of fuel hose, clamps for that, u-joints and a slip yoke, one pair of wheel bearings each for a front or rear wheel issue, tire patches, and a couple tubes of JB Weld. In a bag under the rear seat are a full set of chains for all six tires.

The knapsack contains the essentials, energy bars, water and first aid, along with some spare ammo.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

things not mentioned yet.

hydraulic jack. just as useful at straightening out a bent bumper as doing an oil change or brake job.

folding shovel in the chain pack. a starter battery that is also a compressor. spool of tie wire. zip ties.

scissors and basic socket set. very sharp hatchet in the pack, and a folding stainless blade saw. much better for making fires with squaw wood. long duration candles. they come in tins. antacids. no-doz. gatorade. for snow times something to melt snow and heat water in. never eat snow or drink cold water if you are stuck outside in the cold, has to be heated past body temp.

for the house and boat I have a kelly kettle. will boil a liter + of water in 5+ minutes using any solid fuel. this melts snow, purifies water, heats food. for the boat a thermos for cooking. put in rice and boiling water and stick inside a rolled up sleeping bag. the rice will cook. can do this with beans as well, or make a stew or cook grains like oats.
for the boat charcoal. it lasts forever. it can be dried out. it provides great heat for its weight and doesn't have the issues of green wood.

Frank, you should probably have show shoes and some plastic sleds for the snow times. A lot easier to move stuff on sleds.

I got a t.v. blanket, jacket liner, and snow pac boots from Wiggy's to test their claims and I like that insulation a LOT. They claim it doesn't lose its insulating ability even when it's wet. I will get their arctic sleeping bag when I go north. Their stuff compresses a lot and relofts in a way that down won't.
Satisfied so far.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

In my job I occassionaly have to take one of the other people somewhere so I had an issue with my small backpack being camo and a canteen hanging off of it. This past weekend I bought a black version of the israeli bag. It looks like a gym bag/black tool bag BUT it has straps hidden in a zippered compartment and a waistbelt setup. I have 2 MRE's,8 pouches of oatmeal, a canteen,water bottle with filter, canteen cup,K BAR, gerber multi tool, a waterproof container for fire starting material,space blanket(the 2 person ones that are thicker) windup radio,chainsaw chain that is cut open with handles, hammock (small keeps me off the ground and built in mosquito netting) 550 cord, flashlight, batteries,poncho,socks and underwear,pretty serious first aid kit(I am a Nurse you know) a south american police trade-in stainless taurus in 38 with a 4 inch barrel that I got for $140, and 100 rounds of ammo, tools,emergency repair tape(great stuff), duct tape.

A tip for you...forget about sutures anymore, get a package of the superglue single use tubes(4 or 5 in a little plastic case) not only can you fix stuff on the car, your gear, ect, but remember how it sticks your fingers together when your trying to fix something, well it holds cut skin like a champ.

I was on a hunt in WAY Northern Quebec and the guides traded me skinning and qurtering all 8 of our caribou for 5 packs of sutures I had in my first aid kit, after the cutting was done the one guy asked if I was gonna be able to get more? I said Nah I haven't used those things in years I always use superglue now....the look on his face was priceless, he knew he had been had :lol:
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Wiggy's, Googled and saved, thanks. :mrgreen:

Some of that list I did mention, some of it I left out to keep from being long winded, some of it I forgot. I carry a large action packer in the truck with most of that stuff, jack etc and more lol. A good tire repair kit for one.

You reminded me that all the packs have the trioxane stove and tabs, and all the packs have a military 1qt with the canteen cup and water purifier tablets.

I like the sled idea, I've loaded tools on them to drag around the property. I've used snowshoes before, and planned on getting some sooner or later. :lol:

The thermos cooking is a great idea! I'm going to try that.

I was just thinking about your boat, and building a fire, and wondering how the boat was coming along.

I've been working on my old Coleman canoe that got wrapped around a rock years ago, its ready to go I think this year, but I still want a kayak. When I was in Hawaii I was very drawn to the kayaks, and the catamarans also. Who knew I liked the ocean? :lol:
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

fordwannabe, 550 cord! lol how did I forget that, I cant walk around the house or shop without tripping over some.

As to sutures, I have some in one pack, but I had come to understand it's better to pack a wound than stitch it up and seal in bacteria. Any thoughts?
11B30
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I was just thinking about your boat, and building a fire, and wondering how the boat was coming along.
just started back on it, finally getting warm enough to use epoxy. lots more to do but it has a bottom on and would float if I threw it in. the cabin deck is a major project after taping all the inside seams to waterproof and reinforce all the joints. then flip over to finish the bottom, add the keelson, glass for water tight and structural strength. build all the innumerable details. can't wait to pick up Mrs Grizz from work and run over to Ivar's for fish and chips on the seattle waterfront, and camp out on the back tack.

for heat I plan to eventually scratch build a wood heater for winter survival, but for summer runs I have a wok that I fill with sand and gravel and use it for a fire pit so I can cook on board. I have a coleman gas stove that I will probably carry but might not use or need it. A backup though.

everywhere on the inside passage there is alder growing to the water and hanging over it. you can whack that off for decent fire wood. downed trees everywhere in the guard timber for quick access to hemlock and spruce limbs, good cook wood.

will probably incorporate some form of rain water collection into the deck, but it's pretty easy to nose up to waterfalls and fill up there.

as far as kayaks go, a guy is off on a pretty ambitious trip right now. first link is the tracking map. second link is his web site with his plan. very intense actually.

https://share.delorme.com/bobvollhaber

http://beav-alaskaadventure.blogspot.com/

I bought the plans to this sailing canoe. Something to tow behind the put-put.

http://www.duckworksbbs.com/plans/jim/p ... /index.htm

an easy build and very burdensome and reliable as a traveling boat. some good vids on utube.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Not counting my daily carry, My "emergency bag gun" (the rest of the stuff, knife/water filter/water, etc is pretty standard, in a standard milspec ruck) is a "snakecharmer" .410 with a variety of ammo from 3" heavy slugs (for a .410 anyway) to Buck to birdshot and a green-laser designator.

Not a combat gun for sure, but in a survival scenario it's small, handy and versatile.

If there's room, (and there usually is) I bring this one too:

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

As far as leaving a wound open or suturing/superglueing it...kinda depends on the wound. I always have a small bottle of alchol and another of hydrogen peroxide in my first aid kit. IF it is a clean wound made with a sharp knife, tool, or stone, clean and superglue it up. If it is a nasty wound with a lot of debris in it clean with alcohol cover with bandage then later use the HP and if it foams a lot keep cleaning until little foaming, then superglue or cover and repeat, every situation is a little different.
NEVER I REPEAT NEVER SUTURE/SUPERGLUE AN ANIMAL BITE OF ANY KIND! KEEP IRRIGATING AND COVERING WITH A CLEAN BANDAGE UNTIL YOU CAN SEE A DOC.

The stuff I mentioned in the black bag is in my CITY CAR, my truck has a bunch more stuff in it because it is the one most likely to be in a off road/hunting/fishing scenario.
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

In my day pack I keep fire starter, water tablets, hatchet, folding saw, paracord, compass, knives and sharpener, emergency blanket, extra ammo and extra socks etc. plus a basic first aid kit. If Iam going for a longer time or ahorse back I take a expanded first aid kit thats for people and stock includes a surgeons kit, blood expander, sutures, blood stop, bug spray, small tin of bag balm and inject-able pain killers get the kind that doesnt need refrigeration, talk to your country doctor (vet) youd be surprised at the drugs made for animals that work for people too. One thing that works for a good antibiotic is sulfa powder (feed store) it works as a blood stop too you can bandage or sew it up also. danny
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm fortunate(?) enough that I keep a Rescue/Extrication/EMT bag in my truck at all times... so my "survival" kit carries none of that stuff.

What I REALLY have to think about/build is a kit that I can carry on my Motorcycle for when I use it to commute &/or the limited Road Trips I take...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Man! With a list like that, what more is there? You have it pretty well covered but............you live out West where things can go bad fast. here in the East, I'm more concerned with 2 legged predators. When I'm hunting elk in Colorado, there's always a 2 day supply of food & water along with nuts, etc in my "bug-out bag" :D (there! I said it)

My biggest fear when tooling around in the mountains is a breakdown of my vehicle. As long as I have a fairly new vehicle with a FULL tank of petrol, I feel like I can overcome most issues with the bare minimum like blankets, extra food, compass or gps (extra batteries) drinking supplies, and always...always...............a few extra tins of Skoal :D Anything more is paranoia from watching too much TV. This is no longer 1874.

As for guns, I'm never out of reach of a good revolver and a handy levergun is not much farther away.

The most important thing to have along is the proper attitude and mindset. If your mind gets lost, you lose, even with a fully equipped and heated cabin.----------------------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

I have what I call my EDC bag and a separate day bag for hunting. I live in a semi-populated rural area so I don't concentrate on so-called wilderness survival gear. Besides a gun and spare ammo, my EDC bag contains a variety of things for both everyday life and for when things go bad:

- Rain coat
- LED Flashlight
- LED headlamp
- 3 spare AAA batteries (both lights use em)
- 2 bandanas
- stocking cap
- spare wool socks
- spare gloves
- Med kit including Ibuprofen, roll-aids, toothbrush, Prilosec, allergy tabs, aspirin, small bottle of soap, small bottle of shampoo, etc
- 2 pack, 72" boot laces
- hand wipes (courtesy of Outback Steakhouse)
- TP
- 6 in one screwdriver
- duct tape
- fake Swiss Army knife
- spare pens and black Sharpie
- business cards
- White electrical tape
- small gun cleaning kit.
- matches and spare lighter.
- last but not least....... for when things go bad........ or for when I'm just in the mood.......... 3 airplane size bottles of Captain Morgan.
- Thinkin about adding pliers and maybe some water tabs.

Like I said, this is not a wilderness survival bag. It's for when things go bad in my area or, with an added change of clothes, good enough for a quick over-nighter. Workin outdoors much of the time I always leave the house in appropriate clothes, boots and outerwear so don't need much there and shelter isn't an issue. Even if I was forced to "camp" out an abandon farm building is usually within a mile or two. I'll also be changing a few things up with spring/summer around the bend.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:In a bag under the rear seat are a full set of chains for all six tires.
Which Six tires do you chain on a semi...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

You know, my Jeep bag has grown and shrank over the last thirty years. I'd have to go and look to get an accurate inventory. But basically, first aid supplies, fire starting stuff. some MRE's, water purification kit, shelter making stuff, a fixed and folding knife (oh, I still keep my Skatchet in there), a small boxed spinning reel and rod (not really for emergencies, just so I always have a fishing rig :mrgreen: ), and of course my "Perfect Jeep Gun" and ammo. There's a bunch of stuff that fits into one group, that will sorta drift into others.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Sixgun wrote:The most important thing to have along is the proper attitude and mindset.
you took the words right out of my mouth. :wink:

also, one of my new favorite sayings, the more you know the less you need.
the rest is just comfort level. :idea:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

pokey wrote:
Sixgun wrote:The most important thing to have along is the proper attitude and mindset.

You mean that my (non-bugout) EMT/Extrication Bag + a few particulars (including gun(s)) is probably enough? ;)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Some of us at work have discussed creating a Bug in Bag, which would be a Bag to get home on, if we were at work, 20 to 30 miles from home and experienced something like an EMP disaster or whatever, and end up needing to walk home.

It things were pretty bad, I could see taking a day or two to get home. I live in a rural area, but work in town. Sometimes our imagination runs a little bit wild. However, we have pretty much ruled out having a long gun, because it's too hare to hide in a ready state, so something like a Glock with a few extra mags and a backpack with some first aid meds, and maybe some extra clothes for bad weather, and somekind of food bars, etc. Water bottle, flashlight, matches, and and I have thought that somekind of floatation device because I have to cross a river and what if the bridge is blocked, or too dangerous to cross, and I don't swim very well, so as you can see, even 20 or 30 miles could be difficult under the right circumstances.
NRA Life Member, Patron
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

Old Ironsights wrote:
pokey wrote:

You mean that my (non-bugout) EMT/Extrication Bag + a few particulars (including gun(s)) is probably enough? ;)
more than enough.

really, everything is mission dependent.
if you are making for "home", even a wet cold night 20 mile sneak, you should make it with what's in your pockets
and the clothes on your back.
change the objective and your requirements may change as well.jmho. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

pokey wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
pokey wrote:

more than enough.

really, everything is mission dependent.
if you are making for "home", even a wet cold night 20 mile sneak, you should make it with what's in your pockets
and the clothes on your back.
change the objective and your requirements may change as well.jmho. :wink:

You nailed it when you mentioned a "night 20 mile sneak". Cold and wet are what they are, but the night sneak is exactly what the old Sarge kept pounding into us all those years ago down in Florida. Read my sig line.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AJMD429 wrote:
Griff wrote:In a bag under the rear seat are a full set of chains for all six tires.
Which Six tires do you chain on a semi...???
IIRC at least the outside duals on the drive wheels (4) and the Steer wheels (2).
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Just the act of putting together an emergency knapsack indicates and/or builds proper mindset. Victims don't prepare and aren't paying attention to their surroundings.
11B30