Need a hand with picking the next one...Savage 23D?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Need a hand with picking the next one...Savage 23D?

Post by awp101 »

The shop where I picked up the Bearcat got me to thinking about the next acquisition.

I've been thinking about a full size, steel 1911 for range work. My Para LTC has an alloy frame and I don't like to hot rod it for obvious reasons. It's never given me a moments trouble and I'd like to keep it that way. :mrgreen: The shop has a couple of imports (both probably from the PI which is fine by me) in the $500-600 range but the .45 is a Commander style and the full size is 9mm. The Commander is closer to my HD/occasional CCW but the 9mm is of interest because I can swap in a .38 Super barrel. And I likes me some .38 Super. :mrgreen:

Then I saw on the wall a Savage 23D in .22 Hornet with a Fecker scope. :shock: Total cost would run about $675 OTD and would have to be on layawake. I like the Hornet, I like the old rifles such as the Savage, I like Savage rifles in general but I know next to nothing about the Fecker.

The scope has a 4 digit starting with either a 6 or 8 IIRC (is it the model or serial number?), has a 3/4" eyepiece and the objective is 1"-1.25". The lenses seem dirty but undamaged but I couldn't figure out how to adjust the focus or magnification (or what magnification it might be). There is a ring about mid-way down the tube that rotates but didn't seem to adjust anything focus or magnigfication-wise and there was a scale of sorts that looked like it went from 2 up to 16 (a 2-16x scope maybe?)

From what I can tell, it's priced at the top end of "right" given the combination but the scope unknowns are stopping me at the moment.

Speaking of combinations...the thread on the Baikal O/U combos got me to looking at them again. I found a nicely priced NIB .410/.22WMR but I can't say I use either caliber very much (as in, at all :lol: ).

The older Savage combos (there's that Savage link again) interest me but I need more info. What models were there (were there different models besides the 24?) and what gauge/caliber combos were there? Going rate nowadays? I think a 20/.22H or 20/.357 would be a real fun-time combo! :mrgreen:

So, talk (errr, type) to me. The 1911 isn't high on my list right now. Is the 23D worth looking at again? Maybe one of the combos instead? My uses would be fun time range shooting and looking at it fondly....

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Need a hand with picking the next one...Savage 23D?

Post by 2ndovc »

My Dad had a Model 24 in .222 Rem over a 3" 20 gage barrel. It was a really fun gun, I was really ticked when he sold it!
I always thought a .233/ 12 gage would be darned useful!

By the way there's a really nice 23D over in the classifieds! If I hadn't bought some Dude's Rolling block I'd be all over it!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Here's mine, it previously belonged to a guy who was a stockmaker for Weatherby when they were being made in California, hence the inlays and checkering in the stock. A lady who knows about such things tells me they are real ivory but I dont know for a fact. It shoots very well indeed, quite close to my CZ 527, shoots either .223 or .224 bullets with no discernable difference, Lil Gun powder sure makes the Hornet hum. I would grab that rifle you describe without further thought, the scope will go for almost that much.

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

2ndovc wrote: By the way there's a really nice 23D over in the classifieds! If I hadn't bought some Dude's Rolling block I'd be all over it!

jb 8)
Yeah, yeah, yeah but can a .32-20 match the mighty whatever you settle on? :wink: :lol:

jn, no kidding on the scope? I figured it was about half the total cost... :shock:

If it'll hang with a 527, I'd have no problems with it. The 527 Hornet I had was mucho fun.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Oh! Didn't catch that it was a Hornet. Two different animals, but as much as I like the Hornet my all time fav is the .32-20!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
wm
Senior Levergunner

Post by wm »

My Savage 23 22LR is my favorite plinking rifle....I'm not sure if knowing that helps you in anyway but I'd buy another 23 in rimfire or centerfire for the right price.

Somewhere around here I have a Bishop aftermarket stock for a centerfire 23 I picked up years ago expecting to snag one eventually.

Wm.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Depending on the power, that scope scope is worth $500 - $700. :wink: The power is usually stamped around the eye piece or on the locking ring.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

jdad wrote:Depending on the power, that scope scope is worth $500 - $700. :wink: The power is usually stamped around the eye piece or on the locking ring.
Yup. Check completed sales on ebay and GB.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

I thought about checking the auctions but without the model, etc I wasn't sure how useful that would be. I'll try and get back next week to see if I can find out more about it.

If nothing else, it would look at home on the .218 Bee Cadet project... :twisted:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

The scope looks a lot like this one:

If it's still there when I get back there next week, it'll go on layawake as my "quitting reward" (so far 1 week with a cigarette...)
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at