New Reloading Bench

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

New Reloading Bench

Post by Griff »

With the collapse of my old kitchen style base cabinets a month or so ago, I've been working to disassemble and rebuild my reloading bench. I was going to take the old cabinet bases and rebuild them... using some marine grade plywood I was saving for another project.

Last week I was down in the town just south of me, and dropped into a contractor's surplus yard to see what they had. My carpentery skills best left to the art of "framing"... houses, not pictures! And, lo; they build their own cabinets there... the prices being well below those big box stores, and solid wood, thru and thru... no cheap particle board.

So today, I went and picked up my new cabinet bases... loaded 'em up in the p/u

then unloaded them and now I have to figure out how to arrange them number the bench!

So I'll have better cabinets to support the bench, and instead of just two 30" bases, I'll have 2 36" bases and a 24" wide stack of drawers for those tools that have had to sit on top of the bench!

Back at it tomorrow! Hopefully it'll be cooler, was 77ºF here today. Warmish to be workin' out in the barn!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Re: New Reloading Bench

Post by KirkD »

I'm envious! Nice!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool and lots of storage space. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I don't know if I have a picture, but for my 'top' I put one of 3/4" plywood on top of the cabinets, then 2x6's 16" o.c. to give me an additional 5-1/2" rise, then another 3/4" plywood 'top'. I angled the cuts on the 2x6's so the top plywood is about 2" farther out towards me than the lower one, and 'inletted' another 2x6 laid flat to give a really sturdy clamping or mounting surface.

This ALSO gives me a handy place to tuck a box of taps/dies, extra c-clamps, a hammer, short saw, or whatever. It's like a row of 5" tall and 14" wide 'cubbies' two feet deep all across under the work surface. I'd say it helps 'declutter' the benchtop, but my inherent cluttering-skills overwhelm anything with less power than a black hole... :oops:

I highly recommend doing that.
Last edited by AJMD429 on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Cant wait till I retire from this gun club and settel into my own garage and get to projects like yours :mrgreen:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Doc,

Between the muddaubers and wasps, "cubby-holes" are just what I try to avoid! I keep trying to get the wife to let me inside... but she's got the house all "planned out"... and my future reloading room is on the back burner!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Here's mine, built this about 30 years ago, couple of frieght-damaged bases for cheap at the lumber yard, piece of molded counter top the same way, I glued up a piece of 7/8 chipboard to the bottom of the counter top and then glued/screwed the top on to the bases. Has served me well.

jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

JReed wrote:Cant wait till I retire from this gun club and settel into my own garage and get to projects like yours :mrgreen:

Garage!!! :o :shock:

That's what the third bedroom is for, converting to a gun room. :D
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

I was wondering what was transpiring. Good to see You are back on it. Those bases should give You plenty of storage. Will You use a regular countertop or plywood? You have some BIG mud daubers if they can fill 5x14 cubby hole.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Nice find Griff! Your gonna have the nicest reloading bench in Texas. Mine looks like a mess, those drawers look like the ticket. Time for me to head downstairs and tidy up.
Jnyork I plan to copy your shelf system.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

pwl44m wrote:I was wondering what was transpiring. Good to see You are back on it. Those bases should give You plenty of storage. Will You use a regular countertop or plywood? You have some BIG mud daubers if they can fill 5x14 cubby hole.
Perry
Like jnyork and ajmd, I use a ¾" piece of plywood as a base/cover over the cabinets, then apply a molded counter top for smooth, finished, easily cleaned surface. One of my old pieces has warped slightly and may need to be replaced. Edited to corrrect:My old bench was 16' long, but by moving an old refrigerator I gained an extra 2', so the new bench will be 18' long. Opposite this is the 20' bench that is used for shotshell loading and woodworking projects. But with 4 presses and casting pot, it can get crowded with extra tools and all the tubs of brass clutterin' the top. The extra space in the cabinet means I can move them down into storage, out of the way.

Look up cluttered in the dictionary... it'll have this picture:
Last edited by Griff on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Griff,
If you'd hang a shelf on the wall above the bench you could sorta spread the clutter out. Gotta take a picture of mine so you'll know I'm even more cluttered than you even with lots of shelves and cabinets. Looks like you're doin' great.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet score! 8)
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: New Reloading Bench - Updated Progress

Post by Griff »

Made a serious dent in the project today. I guess, since I didn't build the first one in just one day, I shouldn't expect the new one to go quite as easily. The one will be anchored to the wall much better. More storage space, and since the refrigerator there quit working, new powder keg also!

Base cabinets are progressing nicely, have two installed, leveled six ways from Sunday and now have a coat of satin polyethelene in a light maple.

Oh yeah, new shelf for the radio and chargers! Now that stuff won't be clutterin' up the bench... but, a new radio might be in order! This one is a bit frazzled... tuner doesn't work, antenna falls out, and you really have to play with it to get the volume knob to work! I think I might have gotten my use out of it... It's been out there in the barn for 20+ years, and in my garage in CA for at least 10 before that!

Still need to seal the #3 unit, but it's in position, leveled and aligned with the other two. A ¾" underlayer for the countertop, and 18' of new countertop. Trying to estimate where I want the various reloaders (4) and accessory equipment, such as lubri-sizers (2), powder measure stands (2) and spacing for them is probably the problematic. Don't want to feel cramped, and yet have leg space under each reloader.

Maybe two days of more work. Still need to figure out the best method of mounting the far end of the bench to the supporting structure of the barn (10" round pole). What's done so far is solid as a rock! Also bought two new 8' flourescent fixtures for mounting directly over the bench; light won't be a problem!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

That is looking good Griff :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

3rd day of progress... this not working can get tiring! A morning trip to Wal-Mart netted a new radio tho'! :P :P

Bases all mounted, the framework installed and the underlayer cut and fit:

The finish countertops installed.

Sarting installation of the machinery:

A single RCBS RockChucker and Dillon 550B look kinda lonely in that 18' of workbench. But, I predict it'll seem cramped pretty fast.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

jnyork wrote:
JReed wrote:Cant wait till I retire from this gun club and settel into my own garage and get to projects like yours :mrgreen:

Garage!!! :o :shock:

That's what the third bedroom is for, converting to a gun room. :D

Agree 100%

:mrgreen:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Griff !, is that a special leveling foam or just plain foam that works great for that App. Never thot of that.
Looking Good
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Perry,

The foam is really just insulating foam, mainly there to keep bugs and mice from building nests under the cabinets. Which is what really destroyed the former cabinets... but I shouldn't think that you should expect 20+ years of life from fiberboard in what is basically an uncontrolled environment!

For the actual leveling, we used cedar wedges, then mounted treated 2x4s or 4x4s to sides as the actual weight bearing members. Those were then fitted with the cross bracing and the top of the cabinets to keep creepy crawlies out. The original cabinets never had any problems with bugs inside them, just underneath, hence the foam this go round. Hopefully the bugs don't like this stuff!

I'll take a pic this afternoon to show off the finished bench. Along with some close-ups of how I've mounted some of the equipment that's not needed all the time, but needs to be fairly solidly mounted.

Spent much of the afternoon yesterday getting rid of the clutter on the bench that sits along the outside wall, LO AND BEHOLD, found 2K primers I didn't know I had! Small pistol, bringing that total to 4K! But, since the only small pistols rounds I load for are .25Auto and .38Spl/.357Mag. I've got plenty of those, it's those pesky large rifle and pistol that I need to order!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I've decided to only mount the RockChucker and two Dillon 550s. The RockChucker (obviously), can do anything the RCBS Jr. can do, and this gives me a better layout for setting up scales, powder measures, lubri-sizers. The powder measure stands and lubri-sizers will have the ability to mount and dismount with ease so I only need to mount what's needed, when needed. Pics later.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Man, just look at all that bench space! I'd have it cluttered in two days.
And Griff, I'll swap you ALL of my snow and fog for a single day of 77.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Man, just look at all that bench space! I'd have it cluttered in two days.
And Griff, I'll swap you ALL of my snow and fog for a single day of 77.
Yep, it gets cluttered fast. After moving everything back that had been stacked 6' high on the other workbench:

Readjusted my dies for the RockChucker vs the RCBS Jr. and loaded 5 rounds of 7mmRemMag that TxPete had sent me several years back. Don't know why I've been hoarding this nickel brass, as it sure looks pretty!
Guess what the price label sez that can of 4064 cost me?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Your smokin' Griff! Looks great. Mount all of the presses you have......comes in handy when your tinkerin'.......plus, when visitors come, you will really look like you know what your doing. You will be the "Big MaHoff" of handloading in your circle of pards. :D ------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Great job Griff, I really like the layout. I hope to build something like that someday.

Dave B
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well... the shotshell bench is also rebuilt. I can't believe how much the rear end of this bench had sagged. But... I guess a lot of rearends sage with age!

From the other end.

The finished and cleared reloading bench.

Casting station.

And just so you don't think it wasn't a LOT of work... the trash pile of stuff that was the old bench, under and on top of both!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Dang Griff, thats quite a pile. Save yourself a lot of work and do what I do....light a match and let her go! :D ------6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Sixgun wrote:Dang Griff, thats quite a pile. Save yourself a lot of work and do what I do....light a match and let her go! :D ------6
Not while its INSIDE!!!! The bucket on the tractor will make short work of it... A 3 yard dumpster is in my future!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Nice job, next time your in Calgary you can organize my bench! Heck you've inspired me enough I might go down an put up some shelves myself. Enjoy.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The last of the work in the shop is done. I had one 8' flourescent fixture and two 4' ones, a two bulb and a 4 buld that only had two that worked.

3 new 8' fixtures and a bit of re-wiring and it's all done... except for the tash p/u!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Does it get cold out there in the winter?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Mescalero wrote:Does it get cold out there in the winter?
Yep. That's why the propane heater!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ah,
Missed the bottle.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Griff, why do you tie down the handles on the shotgun reloaders? Isn't that just keeping tension on the springs?
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Griff, Bloomburge says that Mountian Dew is too big for you.
Nice cabinets though, I wish I had room to set up something that big. :mrgreen:
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

alnitak wrote:Griff, why do you tie down the handles on the shotgun reloaders? Isn't that just keeping tension on the springs?
You beat me to it, I was going to ask the same question :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

How hot in the summer?
The Lord Bless You

Terry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

alnitak wrote:Griff, why do you tie down the handles on the shotgun reloaders? Isn't that just keeping tension on the springs?
If you look closely, you see the red shells (old AA or Activ hulls) at each station, them and handle in the down position keeps the paper wasps and mud-daubers from building nests in the dies! Same reason neither of the Dillons have tool heads set up. Barns aren't quite the controlled admosphere I'd really like! I keep hoping my son will move out of his room!
41 Redhawk wrote:How hot in the summer?
Upwards of 115ºF! Box fan is around the corner. Wish I could afford one of these:
Port-a-Cool 1600!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Oh yeah, moved all the powder out of the house and into the new storage:

How the tools that get changed out are mounted.

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

COSteve wrote:I'd love to have the room for a bigger one but this one has done the job for the past 10 years and over 178,000rds.

And I'm jealous of yours... but could NEVER keep it that neat!!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
41 Redhawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 41 Redhawk »

Upwards of 115ºF! Box fan is around the corner.
Box Fan!!! I'd never survive that. I'll stay in my air conditioned spare bedroom thank you very much. :mrgreen:
The Lord Bless You

Terry