Philippines 2013

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Philippines 2013

Post by 6pt-sika »

We took our niece Cecil to Yellow Cab today for pizza at lunch time !

She is last year college at Xavier University here in Cagayen de Oro City !

We got 18" Pepperoni , mushrooms and extra cheese . Seems to be a crowd favourite since I got it there a few years back !

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Congratulations 6pt! May you enjoy a long, happy marriage.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Griff wrote:Congratulations 6pt! May you enjoy a long, happy marriage.

Thank you sir !

And I hope so as well !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Went to Bigby's tonight for dinner , I don't care for it much but it's Babygirl's favourite . So what kinda daddy would I be if we didn't go there once before I left !

Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Heartfelt congratulations 6pt, you all look very happy :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Borregos wrote:Heartfelt congratulations 6pt, you all look very happy :D :D

Thank you sir and yes we are !

But when I get ready to leave early sunday morning I expect that will change a good bit !
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Glad your trip and vows went well. Babygirl looks like typical kid with he phones. The pizza is amazingly delicious looking. How is the 17 year old in the last year of college?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
alukban
Levergunner

Post by alukban »

Congrats!

I haven't been back to the ol' birth country since '97 meself :)

If you need me to translate anything they're saying behind you back... :lol:
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

3leggedturtle wrote:Glad your trip and vows went well. Babygirl looks like typical kid with he phones. The pizza is amazingly delicious looking. How is the 17 year old in the last year of college?
Babygirl as I call her is 28 !

Last year of college niece is almost 21 , the 17 year old niece is first year college !

We have three nieces and one nephew that are all 17 and first year college . And Cecil who is 20 now is last year college !

Philippino kids go to 11 years of school where as we go 12 in the states .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The pizza at Yellow Cab rivals ANY I've had in the USA .

Now when I come over and need a little something USA style I either go to yellow Cab for pizza or Max's Chicken for old homestyle fried chicken like they made in the USA 30-40 years ago !
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

Hi,6pt. I'll be heading back to Zamboanga next month to see my fiance for the 2nd time. I guess now you need to transfer to terminal 3 at the Manila airport. How bad is it? lol I have a 5 or 6 hour layover to catch the flight down to Zamboanga. I'm starting the Fiance K-1 visa. The USCIS just accepted my application, so now just see how it goes and how long it takes.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mran1126 wrote:Hi,6pt. I'll be heading back to Zamboanga next month to see my fiance for the 2nd time. I guess now you need to transfer to terminal 3 at the Manila airport. How bad is it? lol I have a 5 or 6 hour layover to catch the flight down to Zamboanga. I'm starting the Fiance K-1 visa. The USCIS just accepted my application, so now just see how it goes and how long it takes.

There's a shuttle bus that will take you from terminal 1 to terminal 3 for 20 pesos . When you come out of terminal 1 just ask one of the little guys wearing a police style cap where to catch the shuttle bus to take you to terminal 3 !

My first two trips I flew PAL from Cali to CDO and terminal 2 is only for PAL domestic and international . So it was a matter of going thru immigration and customs then walking out the international termanil up the steps and into the domestic terminal . Going from terminal 1 to 3 you will have to take your bags with you as you are changing carriers .

But with 5 hours even as slow as it is here you will have plenty time .

I'm leaving CDO sunday morning here at about 11AM and will arrive termanil 3 about 1PM then I need to get to terminal 1 get my boarding passes and wait for the Emirates flight to DuBai at 5PM . Eight hours to DuBai , then 3 hour layover and 13 hours back to Dullus and the land of the supposed FREE LOL's .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Mran1126 , I will pass along some words of advice another Amercan guy gave me in the Manila airport the first time I came here in 2008 !

He asked me if I had been here before and I told him this was my first trip out the USA . He responded to me , "Your not in Kansas anymore Toto" . Then he told me not to drive unless I had to and the little guys in the police hats worked at their own pace , not an American pace . He also said under no reason to loose your temper . He said a couple of his expat friends had and the little guys imposed fines to get all their available monies and then had them kicked outta the country .

So far I've had no run ins with anybody other then some smart butt Euro trash and Koreans . But then most people think Americans are loud and pushy so what can we do LOL's !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Babygirl asked if we could go to Yellow Cab tonight for dinner !

So what was I to do , we went and I had pizza two days in a row . Actually not a bad thing :lol:

Babygirl likes Yellow Cab for two reasons !

1. The Pizza

2. The Internet

And she was busy downloading stuff the entire time we were there !

Lea couldn't handle pizza two days in a row and got hot wings instead !

The pizza !

And some more random pics at Yellow Cab !

Tommorrow will be the big post wedding party at our hotel . Looks as if it'll only be 30-35 folks . Hopefully all will have a nice time !
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

Thanks for the pointers, 6 pt. I leave on March 18th from Seattle. Flight from Seattle to Korea is 10 or 11 hours. Then about 4.5 hours to Manila.
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Remember the Phillipines is the ONLY country in the world where you CAN NOT get a divorce. When they say 'Til death do us part' they mean it. If a marriage goes sour there is only one way out.

Wife and I went to a birthday party tonight . Six 'Canos' and six Filipina brides and a lot of kids. Everyone was happy and had a great time though I mostly ate American food (enchiladas, spaghetti, lasagne, fried chicken. Seventeen years and I still can't get used to their cooking except a few specialty items. They are very friendly and warm people. Treat the women with courtesy and respect and they will return a thousand fold. I just celebrated 17 years. My only regret ever is that we didn't meet 15 years sooner.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BAGTIC wrote:Remember the Phillipines is the ONLY country in the world where you CAN NOT get a divorce. When they say 'Til death do us part' they mean it. If a marriage goes sour there is only one way out.

Wife and I went to a birthday party tonight . Six 'Canos' and six Filipina brides and a lot of kids. Everyone was happy and had a great time though I mostly ate American food (enchiladas, spaghetti, lasagne, fried chicken. Seventeen years and I still can't get used to their cooking except a few specialty items. They are very friendly and warm people. Treat the women with courtesy and respect and they will return a thousand fold. I just celebrated 17 years. My only regret ever is that we didn't meet 15 years sooner.
Nope no divorce but you can get an annulment !

We got her previouse marriage annuled !
It took almost 3 years to get it done and cost about $3500 , even though her ex was already married to another woman and had 2-4 kids !
Whats a "cano" ?
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I've been home now about 2 hours !

Here are some pics from the reception thing saturday !

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well from what I've heard since I've been home we accomplished what I had hoped !

Everyone had a good time at the reception !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Now if I can rid myself of the sinus cold I acquired somewhere all will be good !

Also if those that read this don't mind please say prayers for my wife to have a full recovery from a detachment of her retina !

The prognosis is pretty positive but spirtual help never hurts !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Found some pics on my DigiCam from the last night I was in CDO !

The wife and Babygirl in the taxi !

Babygirl holding The Captain (Gavin) while his grandfather looks on !

The Captains grnadmother Maravic .

The Captain and his mother Marie Ann !

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

6pt-sika ,

"Cano" is their version of Americano only it isn't specific to Americans. It refers to all 'Whites' whatever their nationality or language.

If it cost $3,500 to get an annulment it is unlikely that the ex- is remarried. $3,500 is a lot to most Filipinos. However adultery is the national passtime. Marriages go bad there just like here and since most can't afford an 'annulment' they find someone else and start anew off the books.

I suspect divorce will be legal in a few years as bills are introduced fairly often but can't get past the Catholic political lobby but every attempt they make a little more progress. It is like Gay Marriage controversy here. The religious zealot cam fight and scream all they want and in the long run they will lose just like they lost the slavery and women's rights issues.

Too bad you could not have brought her here as fiancee. I was able to in 1995/1996 and it only took 5-6 weeks. I too was 'unemployed', on disability, but as long as you can show ability to support her without her becoming a welfare burden they did not seem to care. Of course that was all pre-9/11.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BAGTIC wrote: If it cost $3,500 to get an annulment it is unlikely that the ex- is remarried.

He was remarried , his present wife has an uncle thats a Judge there . If you know someone or have a little money you'd be amazed what you can do in the Philippines !

My wife went to the place for such records and got copies before she went to court for her annulment .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mran1126 wrote:Thanks for the pointers, 6 pt. I leave on March 18th from Seattle. Flight from Seattle to Korea is 10 or 11 hours. Then about 4.5 hours to Manila.
You're welcome !

I wish I was heading back with you !

Just instead of going to Zambounga I'd go to CDO !

Your flight from Manila to Zambounga shouldn't be more then 90 minutes .
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

I've started the fiancee process. Mine is being processed in California and I checked on the time frame for it. It says the California processing takes about 5.5 months. So, if everything goes ok, she could be here sometime in late summer. Here are some pictures of my fiancee.

pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

6PT, CONGRATS! Please don't interpret this as raining on your parade/s, upcoming. It's just that you, and perhaps others here, may not realize it yet.

You need to prepare for the prejudice she will face here in the US from those immigrants from the North (Luzon), who are NOT Bisayan. My bud's Nanay from Manila expressed it this way (HER words), "Our Vizayan there are like your Mexicans, here (in AZ)". :( Almost EVERY Filipino I meet here will say they are FROM Manila, even though they originally aren't. However, that only works for so long. My g/f explained that their Bisayan accents and phrasing are a give-a-way, much like a southern accent is noticeable to those of us w/o one.

Even among those of the same region, there is often a wariness about meeting other Pinoy. Because, the dark side of the culture is full of gossiping(chismosa) about one other. This includes outright backstabbing where one can gain advantage over another. Ask, or research, about the Pinoy 'Crab Mentality'. My most recent ex was Visayan, and I got her here on a fiance' visa in just 4mos from filing, in early '08. Let's just say that she was not a true Pinay, and we didn't work out. :roll:

However, my current g/f is from the North, and also speaks Ilocano. She has the loyalty, and the patience, and the heart of gold that we all heard about before we went to the Fils. She's also got the temper, too.....which is part of the package, nationwide.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Prayers up on the eye.

Congrats sir!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

pneuby wrote:6PT, CONGRATS! Please don't interpret this as raining on your parade/s, upcoming. It's just that you, and perhaps others here, may not realize it yet.

You need to prepare for the prejudice she will face here in the US from those immigrants from the North (Luzon), who are NOT Bisayan. My bud's Nanay from Manila expressed it this way (HER words), "Our Vizayan there are like your Mexicans, here (in AZ)". :( Almost EVERY Filipino I meet here will say they are FROM Manila, even though they originally aren't. However, that only works for so long. My g/f explained that their Bisayan accents and phrasing are a give-a-way, much like a southern accent is noticeable to those of us w/o one.

Even among those of the same region, there is often a wariness about meeting other Pinoy. Because, the dark side of the culture is full of gossiping(chismosa) about one other. This includes outright backstabbing where one can gain advantage over another. Ask, or research, about the Pinoy 'Crab Mentality'. My most recent ex was Visayan, and I got her here on a fiance' visa in just 4mos from filing, in early '08. Let's just say that she was not a true Pinay, and we didn't work out. :roll:

However, my current g/f is from the North, and also speaks Ilocano. She has the loyalty, and the patience, and the heart of gold that we all heard about before we went to the Fils. She's also got the temper, too.....which is part of the package, nationwide.

My wife had already told me how some of the folks from PI operate when they go to a different country . I think she ran into it some when she worked in Kuwait and Brueni . She has several close friends here that are from Mindanao and have told her how it is over here .

My wife spent a fair amount of time at her brothers house in Pasig before she went abroad to work almost 20 years ago , so she's well versed in Tagalog the national language .

It amazed me in past trips talking with Philippino's on the way there . they would ask me where I was heading in their country and when I would say Mindanao their eyes would get very wide and they'd say they had never been there and were scared to go . Which I kinda think was a crock on their part .
I've seen a pile of muslims and actually talked with a few while there and in transit . And other then two all have very rather pleasent and cordial . Now they were kinda outta their element so that should be taken in consideration as well .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

mran1126 wrote:I've started the fiancee process. Mine is being processed in California and I checked on the time frame for it. It says the California processing takes about 5.5 months. So, if everything goes ok, she could be here sometime in late summer. Here are some pictures of my fiancee.

Congrats sir !

She is quite easy on the eyes !

My wife also looks at this forum and asked me to tell you congrats as well .
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

Thank you for your comments. My first trip to the Philippines was quite pleasant. I didn't run into any kind of problems in Mindanao. Everyone was very nice there. I only saw one other European looking guy when I was in Zamboanga. He was also from the US, but married to a Filipina and living there. Only 2 weeks to go until my 2nd trip there. I don't think they see many of us there walking around and going to stores. I was like a celebrity wherever I went, LOL.

BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

We have been lucky in regards to prejudice from other Filipinos or Americans. We have met a few Filipinos here who don't want to socialize with other Filipinos but I'm not certain why. I suspect some may have had bad experiences with 'backbiters' while others are concerned with integrating with large American society and not becoming part of an isolated clique.

Northern Filipinos better get used to Visayans as Visayans speakers now outnumber Tagalog speakers. Visayas is the 'baby belt' of the Philippines and that is not expected to change soon.

With the exception of a very few in-laws I have not met any Filipinos that were not likeable. Of course like everything else intra-family conflicts exagerate most problems. Most Filipinos are polite, modest, hard working. Not given to boasting or showing off. Reminds me of Americans in my youth.
mran1126
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mran1126 »

Yes, most Filipinos are hard working and modest. My fiance is a college graduate there but like most of the Philippines, she makes almost nothing at her job as a College accounting clerk. Very poor country. When we get her here in the US she might decide to work here too. She won't need to, but can if she wants. I don't think she will have any trouble assimilating here in the US. It's going to be a very different , and hopefully good life for her here.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

6pt-sika wrote:.. when I would say Mindanao their eyes would get very wide and they'd say they had never been there and were scared to go . Which I kinda think was a crock on their part .
Same thing I got from Filipinos before I left the US! Mindanao is HUGE, and the lion's share of the nastiness is in the deep central south. I landed in the far Northeast, and had an absolute wonderful time there. Of course, the side-trip to Cebu was memorable, also. It's a sad fact of the poverty there that most don't ever travel very far from their own part of the country.