A Taurus 1911 is fine too?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

A Taurus 1911 is fine too?

Post by Panzercat »

So I'm finally in the position to make a purchase I've been putting off-- A budget 1911. Something stainless that looks good. Problem is I couldn't have picked a worse time to go looking for the thing since all the pistols in the sub-$700 category are becoming harder and harder to come by. My first choice was an American Classic II in hard chrome. Reviews are nearly unanimously positive and demand mirrors that fact. Sold out everywhere I look physically and on the interwebs. In fact, a lot of the budget chrome has all but dried up, so I've given my budget a little leeway.

I've managed to stumble across a Taurus PT 1911... In stock amazingly enough. It's a fine looking pistol, if slightly edgier than the ones I've been looking at. After shipping and xfer fees, I'll probably be looking at $680. I almost want to jump on it, save the fact I've never owned a Taurus and their rep is almost as bad as Hi-Point in some places on the net. Gunblast has good things to say about it, but that's gunblast for you. Can anybody here weigh in with their own take on this piece?

The second thing I'm concerned with is what this gun is actually on the inside. Is it a 1911 or does it deviate considerably from what most of the community would consider one? It may sound silly, but I want a 1911 on the inside too, not just some companies interpretation of one if that makes any sense.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by Panzercat on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Re: A Taurus 1911 is fine too?

Post by edwardyoung »

I've had several Taurus 1911s. All of them ran fine. The only 'problems' I've had with them are the Taurus safety hammers and the Series 80-type firing pin safety. Neither caused functional problems. I just can't abide any firing pin safety abomination on a 1911, or the Taurus hammers. Luckily, a standard 1911 hammer drops right in. I still ended up trading them away, because of the firing pin safety, primarily. I understand that the Series 80-thing isn't a problem for more enlightened 1911 aficionados. Just not my bag, baby. Also, the heads on Taurus grip screws are a little bigger around than others. Other than that, all 'real' 1911 parts will fit a Taurus with a little fitting, just like all other 'real' 1911-pattern pistols.

Here's one I actually owned twice
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

If all you can get for now is one, I recommend a new Glock in .45acp.....A better value for launching .45s, and it's top notch, not a budget model....You can find a new one out the door for much less than your 700 bucks....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

BlaineG wrote:If all you can get for now is one, I recommend a new Glock in .45acp.....A better value for launching .45s, and it's top notch, not a budget model....You can find a new one out the door for much less than your 700 bucks....
I'll go digging for a plastic pistol some other time :p
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Panzercat wrote:
BlaineG wrote:If all you can get for now is one, I recommend a new Glock in .45acp.....A better value for launching .45s, and it's top notch, not a budget model....You can find a new one out the door for much less than your 700 bucks....
I'll go digging for a plastic pistol some other time :p
That sounds...so...tawdry :lol: :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Buy it, shoot it, look back in two years and say " what the heck was I worried about "
I like mine.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I bought one when they first appeared, probably have 1500 or so rounds through it, never has stuttered.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

You're VERY close to Ruger 1911 money here. Why not just get the Ruger and be done with it?

To me a value priced 1911 is a $399 gun, not $600+...
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

olyinaz wrote:You're VERY close to Ruger 1911 money here. Why not just get the Ruger and be done with it?

Rugers seem just as hard to find. It's crazy. While I agree budget is closer to your price range, I'm going to have a tough time finding chrome at $399.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My budget 1911 45 is marked Charles Daly and was made in the Phillipines. $400 out the door. 4" barreled version with Novak sights, Swenson safeties, skeleton hammer and trigger, big beavertail, port lowered and dimpled, beveled magazine well. I did have to change the recoil spring for a 21 pounder but it has run without a stutter since. Came with 2 eight round magazines but I usually keep Wilson/Rogers in it. This is the best value I've ever found in a 1911.
It is blued but if I gave a fig for shiny I would have it Metalloyed. Probably just the frame group and have a two tone like my other 1911s.
I think this is made by Armscorp but I could be wrong.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Panzercat wrote:
olyinaz wrote:You're VERY close to Ruger 1911 money here. Why not just get the Ruger and be done with it?

Rugers seem just as hard to find. It's crazy. While I agree budget is closer to your price range, I'm going to have a tough time finding chrome at $399.
They're out there, but you have to catch them while they're in stock. Johnny on the spot. The Ruger is the way to go IMO. They have them at my local shops right now, so I suspect that availability must be improving everywhere also.

If you can cool your jets for a spell, keep an eye on Centerfire Systems and Bud's Gun shop. They have Rock Island (Philippines) and TISAS (Turkish) 1911s from time to time for some VERY good prices, often in satin nickel or stainless, and both of those 1911s get good marks for their value and function.

But get the Ruger! Or a Springfield. :D
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Go over on the Ruger forum and try and find a Ruger. For the kind of money you are going to spend, I think you could get a Ruger for just maybe $50 or so, more. They will shoot (No, you can't have mine!!).

I was looking for a 9mm 1911 pistol, but everyone was out of what I was looking for , so ended up with a Taurus stainless. Mags are junk, so bought aftermarket mags, they work great. Have maybe 300rnds thru it, no problems so far.

Get the Ruger 45. You will be happy you did.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
steve817
Levergunner 1.0

Post by steve817 »

When I started shopping for a 1911 I was going to get a Taurus 1911DT. It was about that time the SR1911's were introduced. Only time I saw the SR1911 on the shelf at Academy I didn't have the cash to get it but it was $639.00 . So I ended up getting one at a gun show. Both shoot very well.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

No Taurus 1911 experience (but I have 2 revolvers that are just great), but I purchased an "entry level" 1911 that I could not be happier with. A Rock Island Armory 1911, plain jane parkerized model. I've put prolly 2k rounds through it, 90% cast lead handloads, and narry a hic-up that wasn't my fault. I replaced the sights, bought extra (premium) magazines, and "target trigger". I've played aound cleaning up the innards (nothing major) and I can keep 7 in a 2" group at 20 yards, when I do my part. None of my work, "modifications", were necessary, just wanna play with my 1911! Like a 10-22 you can do hundreds of things to one to "customize"it for your needs/likes. I got mine for about $400 out the door...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...