Rust Buckets

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Rust Buckets

Post by edwardyoung »

Here's the thread about the dug-up 1911. Amazing, really. I spent several hours reading and watching when I first discovered it.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=669817
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Dang I'm jealous. I like ugly old guns.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

So Perry, are you going to see what you can do with the Charter Arms? I had a friend who filled in some deep pits on a 1911 slide with J-B Weld and sanded it smooth then coated it with one of the oven cured epoxy finishes (I think from Brownells) dark matte gray came out looking pretty good.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

damienph wrote:So Perry, are you going to see what you can do with the Charter Arms? I had a friend who filled in some deep pits on a 1911 slide with J-B Weld and sanded it smooth then coated it with one of the oven cured epoxy finishes (I think from Brownells) dark matte gray came out looking pretty good.
The Charter is soaking as I type (seems funny saying "as I speak") That chunk missing out of the trigger gaurd might be a problem. But itseems I've read about removing trigger gaurds for faster sumthin. The Charter caught the worst of the rust but I was skeptical on theS&W too.
Heck JB might be a solution for the Smith but beings I have the parts coming, might as well use them.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Perry,

The Charter Arms grip frame is aluminum, and it fits all of their non-derringer revolvers. I believe that a pin & a screw hold it in place. Here is one:

It might be cheaper to get a parts kit, for your gun, as the grip frame that I am showing has a starting bid of $45.00!:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =330087243

Also, the grips from any Charter Arms revolver will fit any other Charter Arms revolver.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thats good to know,that thing is so rusty can't even see any lines that would indicate it was a seperate piece. I am going to let it soak a couple days also and see what happens. I just can't see it turning out like the Smith though but We'll see. Thx for the tip.
Perry
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well temptation overcame Me. I had to take Her out for a test drive.
First let Me splain My reasoning. In order to see if the firing pin would strike the primer I pulled the bullets from a couple rounds (american eagle by Federal, 130 grn hardball.) When I pulled the bullets there didn't seem to be much powder in them. So what would U do ? So I took it up to My place today to try it out. I loaded 6 rnds in it and fired the first 2 single action and the rest double action. I must say this Gun has a sweet trigger on both single and double action. The rust didn't seem to have any affect on the sear. The reason for the nice trigger might be due to the fact that it belonged to Sacramento Sherriffs dept years ago. Don't know if They allowed tuning on issued duty Guns or not.
I moved the screws on the sight quite a bit so that now it shoots minute of 55 gallon drum. I ran 24 rounds through it wth no misfortune (ie) I have all My digits. Only problem I encountered was that the empty brass was hard to extract. Might have to work on the cylinder a little more.
Now lo and behold when I got Home the parts kit I got from GB was in the mailbox. They are very nice parts with little blue wear but certainly better that what it now looks like. My delemna now is whether or not to swap the parts. Which brings up a question if You have stayed with Me this long, this barrel is pinned. Does the barrel screw off or is it pressed on ?
I have already had 2 offers to buy and My Wife asked Me if it kicks. Well actually No, not to Me. The parts kit came with a set of rubber grips which would enhance the feel quite a bit. This would make a super nice Truck Gun and a good shooter.
Thats My Report, hope U stayed with Me.
Perry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hmmm... I seem to be missing the pictures of the completed gun I'm SURE you posted! :twisted: :P :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

You have to drive the pin out and the barrel screws out.
Get someone with a frame wrench and vise to do this.