new rossi 357

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

new rossi 357

Post by silverback57 »

well, after much deliberating, research and gnashing of the teeth, i finally pulled the trigger on a rossi 357 20 inch. I wanted a blued gun as they just say lever gun to me but had to settle on a SS model. it came in today!!!!!
I must have gotten lucky as the action didn't seem to rough. the action is a little stiff but thats to be expected as it is new. i haven't even cleaned it yet. i can already feel it getting better after cycling the action a few times .. the steve young dvd already arrived so now it begins.

i don't know what others are concerned about the 20 inch barrel. In fact i had to measure it before i left as the whole weapon seemed uber small. yes i can see where a carbine length may be a little easier.... say getting in and out of a car but i think clearing confined spaces shouldn't be that much of a problem.

I really like the feel of this weapon as it reminds me of playing cowboys and indians. there is definitel something inherently pleasing about handling a mostly steel weapon.

Oh yeah the stainless....nice... i think i have a new vision of a lever gun. still i may one day get it coated.
Now i can't wait to clean it up and take it to the range. I may do that before i do the steve dvd.

Now i am waiting on a beater marlin 39d.

the addiction continues
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
Arminius
Levergunner 2.0

Re: new rossi 357

Post by Arminius »

I have its brother.

.357, 20", SS.

Replaced the mag spring with one of real SS and the plastic plug with an Alu one.

Cycles .357 real fine, 38 not.

I´ll try Cowboy loads, .357 and .38 next.

Still, for me the "near ultimate ITSHTF" gun. Would be nice in any car I own ... one 92 / .357 and 50 rds of ammo ... hardly any ( social? ) problem it might not improve upon. And LOTS of fun to shoot!

( I simply should start reloading again, and crank out .357 lenght .38 + P level loads )

HAVE FUN!

Hermann
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I have an older pre-safety stainless Rossi in 357, or at least I did until the Lady decided it was her gun! Great little rifles and you'll be very happy that you got Steve's DVD. It's a night and day difference once you go through the rifle as Steve shows. Enjoy!

Eric
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

my 1971 old beater marlind 39d came in today. sweeet!!!!
"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave arriving in an attractive well preserved body, better to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, favorite beverage in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, screaming WAA HOO - What a Ride!"
JP_TX
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JP_TX »

I have the blued version of your rifle. I'm 6'2" and yes the rifle seems tiny and light; almost toy like.

Oh and one more thing. It is the most accurate rifle I own.

With either factory or my hot 2400 and H110 mag loads. At 50yards, 125grn rem and sierra soft points print one ragged hole by the magazine load running about 2000fps. So do 158grn rem soft points with open sights. Easily a 75 yard whitetail killer. It is so not a toy gun.

If only my other rifles were this accurate right out of the box the money I've spent on range ammo for them would have paid for this little beauty.

And you're right, it's stiff when new, just keep working the action to loosen it. I use RemOil on mine.

Best of luck with yours.

PS: I'd wait to take it apart till I found out how it shoots. The only down side to M 92's is they are a Chinese puzzle to take apart and reconstruct. Use a Bore Snake to clean the barrel. Pulling the bolt is a royal PITA.

Just a friendly warning. By comparison, a Marlin is a piece of cake. Just one screw.
JP_TX
444 Marlin
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've killed a half dozen deer with mine... also stainless, though I had mine bead-blasted to reduce the shine. I also had Steve slick it up from the get-go

Ditto on getting Steve's DVD for your own learning though.

Nice intermediate range hillbilly battle rifle too....
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

2000 fps is why i settled on the 357 lever and the 125 round pproven record as a stopper. can top load in emergency conditions to keep firing if need be is why i choose it over the marlin (well cost as well). great plinker,hunter,sd weapon and companion to my ruger 357 gp100 whats not to like.

near ultimate ITSHTF and Nice intermediate range hillbilly battle rifle too.....my thoughts exactly.

Oh yeah....the 1971 marlin 39d 22lr 20 inch barrel that came in today one screw take down NICE!!! i wish all rifles broke down like that....Its like it is the predecessor to the 10/22 break down. this tuesday both go out to the range.
can't wait.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

well two range sessions down and haven't slicked up yet via Steve's CD. i haven't had the time as of yet. I can say this and the marlin 39d are loads of fun to shot and way more accurate than i ever thought they would be. I do see where i am going to want to put a lyman globe on the front of both and find a rear peep that will allow for quick yardage adjustment.

i find shooting these so much more fun than any semi auto i have owned. light , easy to bring up on target, etc.

i couldn't be happier with my decision to go back to these and revolvers.

big perma grin!!!!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

hmmm!!! pic upload doesn't seem to be working.

is there a majic trick?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

silverback57 wrote:I can say this and the marlin 39d are loads of fun to shot and way more accurate than i ever thought they would be.
Hard to beat that duo for levergun-fun.

My rimfire leverguns are all Ruger 96's, since I like the "10/22" box magazine they use for the 22 LR ones, and the similar ones for 17 HMR and 22 WMR and 44 Mag. Still, ANY levergun means fun-at-the-range, and IS a greate bad times setup.

My favorite "newbie" firearm to introduce non-gun folks to the FUN of shooting is a levergun rimfire - my integrally-suppressed Ruger 96. The complete lack of recoil and noise, plus the easy-to-hit-with open holosight, means they WILL hit the target, and they will NOT be startled by the noise or recoil, so after a few dozen shots they want MORE... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

ok am i missing something? when i do the attachment thing i browse for the pic off my computer then press add a file right? then the pop up window shows the upload process. mine just keeps running and running am my pics are paired down . any suggestions.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Guys,
Looking for a Rossi .357 with a bad barrel for a project; if you know of such a thing' let me know.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

silverback57 wrote:ok am i missing something? when i do the attachment thing i browse for the pic off my computer then press add a file right? then the pop up window shows the upload process. mine just keeps running and running am my pics are paired down . any suggestions.
If your pics are "jpg" format and under 999 pixels by 999 pixels, it is supposed to go ok.

I suppose the ubiquitous 'cookie' thing could be an issue...???
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

ok pic size is ok but what should i do about the cookie thing. i forget how and where. i also have norton security could that be it?
Ranch Dog
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ranch Dog »

They are a great rifle and I've been enjoying my R92 357 Mag, it is the 20" blued SRC Scout. I've killed a doe with it and about 8 or 9 hogs so far.

The only bullet I've shot is my TLC359-175-RF, sized at .357" and pushed with 16.1-grains of Lil' Gun for 1800 FPS. I also have the same rifle with a Skinner peep sight but I just have hardly shot it. I prefer the scout setup for life out here on the rancho.
silverback57
Levergunner 1.0

Post by silverback57 »

nice!!! i had to opt for the stainless model its the only ones they had in the 20 inch barrrel. i still have to figure out how to upload my pics.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

silverback57 wrote: i still have to figure out how to upload my pics.
Photo Posting Tutorial. Now, the pics there have a different look from Photobucket currently, but the tags you'll use are still the same.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

RD - thanks for the pictures and report.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...