Methods of cleaning cases w/o a tumbler

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Methods of cleaning cases w/o a tumbler

Post by sore shoulder »

I've heard of using citric acid, washing machine, etc. I've used the Lee case trimmer case holder chucked in a drill and Brillo. Anyone else have other ideas? I'm kinda resistant to anything that requires electricity as I live off the grid.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
arjunky
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Methods of cleaning cases w/o a tumbler

Post by arjunky »

Ive used brasso, some people claim it weakens the brass, but ive never noticed.

Byron
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

arjunky wrote:Ive used brasso, some people claim it weakens the brass, but ive never noticed.

Byron

+1
NRA Life Member
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

You could build yourself a bow drill/lathe that you can run with foot power and just some steel wool along with your Lee case holder. Use lamp light or candle and no grid involved.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ironwood
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ironwood »

I don't know if it was the Brasso that caused some 30-06 cases to crack at the neck and shoulder when fired. I no longer use Brasso. Of course, your results may vary.
Born in the Pineywoods of East Texas a long long time ago.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

I was going to say case spinners but that requires a drill which you probably don't use.

I say the h**l with the shinnyness and just dump 'em some hot water and dish soap, swish 'em around and let the sun dry them out.

Did you ever notice how clean and nice cases come out when they are in your pocket for a day. Just put a half dozen in each pocket and go about your chores. :D ----------------------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

How about a five gallon bucket with some walnut shell media, let it roll around in the back of your truck for a week :mrgreen:
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

I like the spring pole lathe idea but also agree with leaving them dull.
I don`t tumble mine very often, kinda like the old look.
Sore shoulder you sound like you have a place i`d like to come visit. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Research shows dirty cases are more accurate. :wink:
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

If you don't demand shiny, but would just like 'em clean -- get some of the mesh bags that the girls use to keep their pantyhose separated in the washing machine. Around here the boss finds them for me in the laundry section of the local Bi-Mart store. Put your brass in these and toss in with the wash and you should be good to go.

Here I'm assuming you're not so far off the grid that you're using the old "pound the clothes on a rock in the creek" technique. I wouldn't recommend cleaning the brass that way :D .
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Before I got my tumbler, I tried all kinds of homemade solutions...vinegar and dish washing detergent, citrus/lemon, putting them in a pillow case in the washing machine, car polish/cleaner, steel wool and drill, etc. In the long run, save yourself a lot of time and effort (including drying, oven time, etc.) and just get a vibratory cleaner. Got my Frankford Arsenal one for $57 on sale, with cleaning media. I have never looked back nor regretted the investment.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

alnitak wrote:Before I got my tumbler, I tried all kinds of homemade solutions...vinegar and dish washing detergent, citrus/lemon, putting them in a pillow case in the washing machine, car polish/cleaner, steel wool and drill, etc. In the long run, save yourself a lot of time and effort (including drying, oven time, etc.) and just get a vibratory cleaner. Got my Frankford Arsenal one for $57 on sale, with cleaning media. I have never looked back nor regretted the investment.
The OP lives off the grid, makes it kinda tough trying to run a vibratory cleaner.

I just give each case a little twist with fine steel wool, only takes 2-3 seconds per case, they come out just fine.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Rusty wrote:Research shows dirty cases are more accurate. :wink:
Yep - Case cleaning is a vanity thing, much like lipstick on a pig............ . :mrgreen:

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

" Research shows dirty cases are more accurate. :wink:"

I would like to read the results of that research! :?

There are some cases laying around up at the gun club that aught to be fabulously accurate
if that is true. :wink:
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"The OP lives off the grid, makes it kinda tough trying to run a vibratory cleaner. "

$57 vibratory cleaner would be the model that runs on 2 D battteries.
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

92&94 wrote:How about a five gallon bucket with some walnut shell media, let it roll around in the back of your truck for a week :mrgreen:
I did similar to this for around 3 years, i lived way back in the hills in a small adobe shack, my only modern convenience was spring water I piped down the canyon.

I used hot water dish soap, vinegar, salt in a 5 gal bucket with a tight lid, it was 11 miles to the nearest paved road, five of that was jeep trail across the foot hills, did my laundry the same way only used a barrel. But I secured both , the rough terrain did the work.

The detergent vinegar salt is a old Navel recipe that was one Tablespoon detergent, one tablespoon salt, i cup white vinegar and one pint water, I used this recipe with one gallon of water and it worked fine for cartridge brass. Finger prints and tarnished spots take on a pinkish hue .

Knowing what I know today I would use only hot water and dish soap first then rinse well and then do a quick hot citric acid bath and rinse . They won't be sunglasses shiny but they will be clean.

There is a good sticky on citric acid over on the cast boolits site.

Have fun--J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Hey, Frank....do they still sell Blitz Cloth at the clothing sales store?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

jnyork wrote:
alnitak wrote:Before I got my tumbler, I tried all kinds of homemade solutions...vinegar and dish washing detergent, citrus/lemon, putting them in a pillow case in the washing machine, car polish/cleaner, steel wool and drill, etc. In the long run, save yourself a lot of time and effort (including drying, oven time, etc.) and just get a vibratory cleaner. Got my Frankford Arsenal one for $57 on sale, with cleaning media. I have never looked back nor regretted the investment.
The OP lives off the grid, makes it kinda tough trying to run a vibratory cleaner.

I just give each case a little twist with fine steel wool, only takes 2-3 seconds per case, they come out just fine.
Didn't realize that...it would make using the tumbler more difficult! :lol:
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Thanks for all the replies guys. Just to clarify, I'm off the grid but I've got wind, solar and generator back up and all the modern conveniences including a welder when I need it. I just like to conserve power when I can. I've never looked into the usage on one of those tumblers so its possible the power draw is negligible.
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

sore shoulder,

If you have a running stream on the property build a paddle wheel for the stream to turn, then use it to run the tumbler. No energy needed.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

sore shoulder wrote:Thanks for all the replies guys. Just to clarify, I'm off the grid but I've got wind, solar and generator back up and all the modern conveniences including a welder when I need it. I just like to conserve power when I can. I've never looked into the usage on one of those tumblers so its possible the power draw is negligible.
I'll run the KillaWatt on one.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

Would a wind powered tumbler be feasible? Wind mill hooked to some sort of gear drive to a small drum. What about a stationary bike hooked to a tumbler? Workout and clean cases at same time.

Kevin
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

My Lyman Turbo 1200 with 50 358 Win brass and a couple of pounds of media Kill A Watt data:

121.3v
.43 power factor
107 va
47 watts
.88 amp
Kind regards,
Tycer
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

When I was a kid, we would go to my grandparents that had NO TOYS whatsoever to play with. He did have a 55 gal drum that sat in the back yard next to his shed. We used to lay the barrel on its side and would walk that thing as far as we could, eventually we could walk that barrel all over the yard without falling off once and learned to turn it.

Get you some walnut media and put in an old 55 gal barrel and if you have kids or grandkids, see if you can get them interested in a little competition!

However, if I were you I would invest in a decent power inverter that you can hook to your car or possibly a generator.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I use "Unique Case Lube" and noticed that when I wipe it off most of the dirt smoke comes off with it. Seems to be mostly lanolin. Since then I've quit shining 'em. Seems to work well on all the straight and straight taper cases anyway. I don't worry about the inside, the cases always seem to have plenty of room for powder. I use a primer hole tool to clean that for good seating.
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

I use a vibrating tub aand corn cob, but did try the vinegar, dish soap and water mix in a glass jar. with the correct ratios it did work amazingly well...quick too.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I just use my resizing die. :D
NRA Life Member, Patron
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

Somebody already beat me to the water wheel and the windmill.
If your off the grid you're probably down some dirt road somewhere, if the road has enough corrugations how about a can of brass and tumble media in the back of the Jeep next time you drive into town and back.
If you have a BBQ with a battery operated rotisserie attached, tie the can to the rotisserie. I've actually replaced the battery rotisserie motor with an electric one just so that I can mount the battery one to my reloading bench.
Last but not least,put your GSD to work on a treadmill with a tumbler attached :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Man you guys really went to town on this. :lol:

Gundownunder, no more Jeeps! I did my time in a CJ5 rag top with no heat over Colorado passes year round. I had 4 of those things at one time, down to a J2000 Gladiator full size step side pickup with a built 350 and rarely drive it.

I guess I really need to clarify some things, cause i get the feeling some of you think I'm Jed Clampett. :lol: Ok, I live very remote high in the Rockies, but i live in a modern 3000sq ft home. Power is supplied by a bank of 12 UL16HD 6v batteries that weigh 120lbs each, wired series for 24v and paralleled. Those feed a 4000 continuous watt (will surge 8000 for 60 seconds) sine wave inverter/50A charger. Charging is from 1Kw of PV, a 500W wind generator, and a 12Kw propane genset plumbed to the bulk tank. I have a big screen, dish washer, washer dryer and hi speed innernutz.

Anyway, loving some of the ideas, if only for the entertainment.

As to the bicycle idea, I am an avid cyclist and do anywhere from 80-100 miles a week in the warmer months on the hiways over the passes, but in winter the bike is parked in a stationary cycling attachment that I've been brainstorming how to turn it into a charger with varying resistance using one of the old generator motors I have laying around.

I've used the drill, but that's slow locking the shell in place and unlocking ad infinitum.

Otherwise, if it doesn't take too long to clean the cases, 47w is a pretty small draw and I'll prob just get a tumbler lol.

Thanks for all the great ideas gents and for helping me realize a tumbler is prob the most practical way to go.
11B30
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Pete44ru wrote:
Rusty wrote:Research shows dirty cases are more accurate. :wink:
Yep - Case cleaning is a vanity thing, much like lipstick on a pig............ . :mrgreen:

Keep that up and we will have to move this to the politics section.

"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

sore shoulder wrote:
I guess I really need to clarify some things, cause i get the feeling some of you think I'm Jed Clampett. :lol: Ok, I live very remote high in the Rockies, but i live in a modern 3000sq ft home. Power is supplied by a bank of 12 UL16HD 6v batteries that weigh 120lbs each, wired series for 24v and paralleled. Those feed a 4000 continuous watt (will surge 8000 for 60 seconds) sine wave inverter/50A charger. Charging is from 1Kw of PV, a 500W wind generator, and a 12Kw propane genset plumbed to the bulk tank. I have a big screen, dish washer, washer dryer and hi speed innernutz.

Heck, you aint off the grid, you ARE the grid!! :shock: :D :D :D
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I'm guessing your not interested in hearing about my cement mixer that I use for a tumbler huh!
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

fordwannabe wrote:I'm guessing your not interested in hearing about my cement mixer that I use for a tumbler huh!
On the contrary please continue lol. That's gotta be a real bulk tumbler.
11B30
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Tycer wrote:My Lyman Turbo 1200 with 50 358 Win brass and a couple of pounds of media Kill A Watt data:

121.3v
.43 power factor
107 va
47 watts
.88 amp
Btw thanks Tycer that was extremely helpful information. About how long does that take to clean the cases?
11B30
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Usually no more than an hour. If it's dark brass, still an hour. I'm just looking to clean it. I'm not too concerned with new shiney from dark. Some folks add brasso or other abrasive. I have but don't. I just want to protect my dies from scratches.
Kind regards,
Tycer
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Pitchy wrote:I like the spring pole lathe idea but also agree with leaving them dull.
I don`t tumble mine very often, kinda like the old look.
Sore shoulder you sound like you have a place i`d like to come visit. 8)
Pitchy, everyone should see the Colorado high country at least once.
11B30
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

I bought a small harbor freight cement mixer when they were on sale and then used a 10% off coupon on top of that, so it was $120 or so. I cut a piece of plywood and covered it with well pump gasket and use a piece of predrilled strapping to hold the top on to the mixer with wingnuts. I have several pounds of stainless pins and a big jug of corncob depending on how dirty the brass is. I like the stainless media and water but it just isn't as easy as throwing the brass in with Corncob and flipping the switch. I can do a bunch of brass at a time like 5000 223 at a time :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

fordwannabe wrote: I can do a bunch of brass at a time like 5000 223 at a time :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . Tom
That's exactly what I figured you were doing.:mrgreen:
11B30
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

jnyork wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
Heck, you aint off the grid, you ARE the grid!! :shock: :D :D :D
Maybe a grid of "one", but a grid, nontheless!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I've shined up a few of the old cartridges in my collection by spinning them by hand while pinching them with a moist, fine ScotchBrite. It does leave light bands of scratches, but it does clean them up enough for me. I don't shine up what I shoot.
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

gundownunder wrote: Last but not least,put your GSD to work on a treadmill with a tumbler attached :lol:
Oh I missed this! If I was going to use a dog as a draft animal I'd pick something dumber, like a Rottie. :lol:
11B30
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

While I tumble not, there was a time (and if this ever gets back to my wife, I'll know who to scalp) I used to spray them with simple green, put them in one of the above mentioned laundy bags and put them in the dishwasher. She found out about the BP pistols in the dishwasher and darned near scapled me. But darn it works, err worked very well. :wink:

Hint, time it so you can have your stuff our of the dishwasher, and a load of dishes going when she gets home. You'll get clean stuff and a few brownie points, as well.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

sore shoulder wrote:
gundownunder wrote: Last but not least,put your GSD to work on a treadmill with a tumbler attached :lol:
Oh I missed this! If I was going to use a dog as a draft animal I'd pick something dumber, like a Rottie. :lol:
No, for dumb, I'll go Dalmatian everytime.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad