Anybody have similar thoughts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Anybody have similar thoughts?

Post by rjohns94 »

This years hunting season is about over. For the last 35 years, hunting has been a huge part of my life. I noticed this year a distinct lack of interest, or at least a major drop in interest in hunting. I think I'm tired of hunting public land with hundreds of other hunters, ignorant of courtesy or common sense. Slobs leaving trash, shooting animals and leaving them in the woods, practicing with firearms on hunting lands etc etc. I'm considering either giving up hunting or perhaps going to other places
, maybe every other year on land where a man can stretch his legs. I visited mod71alaska and saw the wilderness in his back yard where a person could walk a week and not cross a road. I need to be able to get out and stay out, carrying my tent and sleeping stuff, food supplies and get out away from the hoards. I'm feeling suffocated and crowded, and I need to come up with a plan to get out under the stars and away from people to some extent.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Anybody have similar thoughts?

Post by Mescalero »

You are welcome in N.M brother.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Mike, you REALLY need to see and experience Alaska. Yes, the north country of NH and ME is big woods, but Alaska still is wilderness where you might not shoot a moose with a 50 inch rack because it's not big enough and fish measured in inches you use for bait! One of the best times of the year to visit is coming up...Fur Rondevezous in February.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Mike, It can be hectic anywhere where vehicles can get too people just want to sit and ride around to hunt, trucks or atv's anymore, its shanksmare or stock for me and big game hunting. As for trash and vandalism Ive found that its usually the local keystone lite boys in a area most hunters dont shoot up signs and FS campgrounds. danny
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well lets see .

I've been debating whether or not to stop whitetail hunting here around the house for four or five years now !

Of hunting this piece of ground for the last 22 years I've averaged better then 10 deer a year just on our property . This year to date has been the WORST with only three taken here so far and six days remaining .

I am thinking now of getting a crossbow and start hunting the Blackwater NWR for Sika deer and to heck with whitetails .

I think on our property here there are a number of reasons for lack of bag . The neighbors are letting more people all the time hunt their properties and for some reason they all seem to hang out right on the property line . There's four or five of them that hunt darn near everyday so i'm sure thats making th deer that pass thru my property more nocturnal then ever . Then there's also the growing coyote thing . There have been something like 6 or 8 of the GD things killed within a mile of me this season . I know last year I killed a deer during ML season and couldn't find it before dark . Went out the next morning and found what was left after dogs , bear or coyotes cleaned it up !

So then my outlook on hunting my owm property is diminishing quite a bit . I've not seen a deer on this property to shoot since the first day of gun season back in mid November .

It's looking more and more like I'm gonna hunt Maryland for Sika exclusively in all three seasons . Might even go so far as have my left shoulder fixed so i don't need to get a crossbow .

One things for sure if and when I go thru with this idea i WILL crop my accumlation back to just what I need with a few extras and any family guns .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

rjohns94 wrote:This years hunting season is about over. For the last 35 years, hunting has been a huge part of my life. I noticed this year a distinct lack of interest, or at least a major drop in interest in hunting. I think I'm tired of hunting public land with hundreds of other hunters, ignorant of courtesy or common sense. Slobs leaving trash, shooting animals and leaving them in the woods, practicing with firearms on hunting lands etc etc. I'm considering either giving up hunting or perhaps going to other places
, maybe every other year on land where a man can stretch his legs. I visited mod71alaska and saw the wilderness in his back yard where a person could walk a week and not cross a road. I need to be able to get out and stay out, carrying my tent and sleeping stuff, food supplies and get out away from the hoards. I'm feeling suffocated and crowded, and I need to come up with a plan to get out under the stars and away from people to some extent.

Go to northeast PA and hike back in a ways on the public lands . All ya gotta do is go about a mile back in and you'll be away from 97% of the hunters .
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I pretty much gave up hunting in Az before moving north a couple states. Way too many people running around in the woods, and talking to some, way too scary of attitudes and profound lack of intelligence or common sense. One year, from my place, which was several miles off any paved road, I counted over 100 shots I could hear, before noon on opening day of deer season. Once I moved north, I hear a few other shots over several months (way off in the distance when I do), and rarely bump into people. The ones I have run into haven't been goobs from the city with little woods or hunting sense like I was seeing in Az.

Just some thoughts.

There's a bit of room to stretch out in,....

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Arizona has been completely Kalifornicated by Phoenix's growth. It's now the sixth largest city America and not even hard core conservative anymore as more and more liberals from all over the country flood in. Flagstaff and Tucson are flat out liberal. I wish I could recommend AZ but I can't, and that makes me sick.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, Danny, I guess since I can't walk very far, and rely on a motor vehicle to reach a hunting spot, I'd best pack up my kit and get out of the way of all the elites that only hike, or ride a horse :| :roll:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rjohns94 wrote:This years hunting season is about over. For the last 35 years, hunting has been a huge part of my life. I noticed this year a distinct lack of interest, or at least a major drop in interest in hunting. I think I'm tired of hunting public land with hundreds of other hunters, ignorant of courtesy or common sense. Slobs leaving trash, shooting animals and leaving them in the woods, practicing with firearms on hunting lands etc etc. I'm considering either giving up hunting or perhaps going to other places
All the time bro :(

I have a couple of miles where upon there is little chance of bumping into some one and thats it. I have to be sneakier than a bob cat if I don't want to see anyone but sooner or later someone will pop up!
I like going out in bad weather, I know I have the place to my self then!

At liest you guys get a quiet archery season!

How about a season of archery only for a year maybe Mike?

Best wishes our friend.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Mike,Your post could have been written by Me. I'm sick of all the tree stands and 4-wheelers and freaking FEEDERS in the woods. It's leagal and they call it hunting.........
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Around here the deer population is way down. We still have land owners/farmers who get tags to kill deer due to crop damage who simply kill them and dump them. They do not even make an effort to save the meat AND they will not allow licensed hunters on their land. Lots of parcels have been cut up by farmettes. Ideal, apparently, for bears and coyotes but not so much for deer as their habitat has been diminished and food sources removed. In one area, 14 hunters systematically hunted for 3 weeks and killed 4 deer and 3 bear. My son-in-law's family deer hunt on their 1000+ acres resulted in 14 on the pole rather than the usual 30+. So much for that.

All my hunting partners have died. That kills the mood some days...
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
damienph
Senior Levergunner

Post by damienph »

BlaineG wrote:Well, Danny, I guess since I can't walk very far, and rely on a motor vehicle to reach a hunting spot, I'd best pack up my kit and get out of the way of all the elites that only hike, or ride a horse :| :roll:
Thank you for being so understanding! :P
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Mike, I'm in taper off mode as well. I promise you that a trip to Africa will repair your outlook. I hunted kudu, oryx and others in Namibia in 2007, and hope to return to RSA this coming year. Send 86er a PM about this and he can give you some options. It's not nearly as expensive as you might think.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

I have a good friend who lives in Glen Mills, PA. I stopped by to visit him several weeks back. And every time I visit I gripe about how crowded it is up there. And tell him I don't see how he does it. And he always confides in me that he hates it. And if he were young again (he's 77), he'd pack up and head west.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Part of the hunt is finding the right spot. It is a fact that there are more whitetail deer near human populous than further from it. Even in CO where whitetails are really moving in they are within eyesight of houses in Walsenburg, Bennette and Pueblo, not out in the high country or " middle of nowhere". Could you invest in your own place, or share a private place with others? In NY I bought 82 acres in 1990. It was on the highest flat of the mountain, so there were no developments above me. Every trip I'd bring a treat for the 3 houses below me to keep in good grace with them. This gave me access to 465 acres that was otherwise secluded and posted. We shot a deer every year there, and had grouse and woodcock too. A few years ago the first bear was taken. When it got more costly for taxes I explained it to my hunting partners and they chipped in $500 a year (3 of them) to cover the tax and they'd each bring a 100 pound propane cylinder for our fuel throughout the year. Other options where I've never seen another hunter and had good success are Long Islands bow season on WMA's where you can come and go as you please and shoot a buck and a doe. Eastern Colorado near the CO City area has over the counter archery deer tags and elk tags with 3 big public land areas. The archery draw tags there for deer are easily obtained and have high success rates with low hunter interest. For a few years I saved my time and money and went on an out of State trip for a species I had not taken before. This gave quality hunts for good animals in unpressured areas, like Blacktail in CA, Roosevelt Elk in OR, Antelope in S.D. and small game like Huns in N.D., Spruce grouse in MT, etc. There are services available that will apply for tags for you for a very small fee. You'll know you can hunt every year and it will be for something different and a new adventure. There is a club near you that owns a few thousand acres surrounded by tens of thousands of acres that has big deer, not a lot but big ones, and I've seen another hunter at the parking area four times in 17 years. If interested I'll give you the info.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

Man, I don't know if I'm sad for you or happy I'm not the only one. I was about as jacked up for hunting this year as I am going to a trip to the dentist. Really sad when a guy who's day's in the field used to number in the hundreds every year only makes it out a handful of times. So far I'm at 1 1/2 days coon callin, 2 days outta 5 possibles for deer hunting, 2 callin stands for fox and 2 mornings trying to spot some coyotes. That's it. A big part of it was lack of access to quality public ground. I'm on great relations with many land owners but askin permission is beginning to feel like beggin anymore. Just wish I had some good land to get lost on when ever I dang well please.

Big mistake this year going on a fall trip to Wyoming with the better half. Absolutely loved it out there and had a good sized feeling of dread pulling back into Iowa. If it wasn't for kids and roots we'd of packed up and turned right around. Still talk about it plenty but that's as far as it goes (so far).

I'm tryin to fix it. Doing less rodeo like group hunting, switching up seasons and game, tinkering with handgun hunting more and may make the switch from shotgun deer to muzzleloaders. Hunting buddies make it hard though. Been hunting with the same group of friends for decades now. Some really great guys. While they are slowing up too, they count a good day in the field by the numbers of critters on the ground while I'm finding "grand totals", full freezers, dollar signs (coon, fox and coyote hides), and all the work that goes with the kill to be more of an annoyance. Still get jacked up for the shot though, many times too jacked up it seems like.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

I can sympathize with this line of thinking. In Washington, there is a million plus acres of public land. There is game there, but there is not a lot of road access to much of it. IF a person is physically able, there are many places to have a quality hunt with little or no company. My problem is that years of working in the woods cruising timber has taken a toll on my knees. I can go uphill fine, but as soon as I turn downhill, my knees talk to me every step of the way. I have never cared to hunt in more developed areas where there is a lot of road access due to the continuous stream of road hunters. If you do get into the brush and push something out, chances are good that someone will shoot it from the road.

I was a lot more serious about hunting in earlier times when we depended on getting the meat to feed the family. My cost of hunting was low; just the price of tags, gas to travel about 20 miles to the base of the mountain and food for 4 or 5 days while I stayed in a spike camp up on the mountain. It was rare to see anyone, and I have some great memories of successful hunts up there.

I have just about reached the point now where I am going to forego hunting during the seasons and spend my time walking the woods with my favorite rifle after the seasons are over. I'll be searching for shots at deer and elk with my camera and shots at predators with my rifle. Like Hobie, I no longer have hunting partners that are still around. For me, the prospect of getting something two or three miles off the road up on some gobblers knob is intimidating, and sounds like a lot of work to do all by myself!

I realize that times are changing. There is more pressure on less area as more private land is closed to hunting and ther Forest Service lets the road infrastructure deteriorate on public land, but the animals are still out there if one has the desire and physical ability to get to where the animals are.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Last time I went hunting was was 86er back in Feb. of 2008. I think I have been to the shooting range twice since that time. I lived my dream on Maui great year around hunting and many secluded spots to fish and hunt where I wouldn't see another human being all day. Since moving to Oahu my desire has slowly dwindled. Hunting lands here are limited and over pressured, and with a high risk of vandalism to vehicles. My disability payments do not increase with inflation so each month I go deeper into the financial hole. I can't afford to fly to Maui. I will shortly have to to start selling arms just to pay the mounting bills. I'm needing yet another back surgery my 5th but the insurance and my lawyers are duking it out with no relief in sight. Life sux but I do have a roof over my head still, and haven't gone hungry yet so I count my blessings. :wink:
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

damienph wrote:
BlaineG wrote:Well, Danny, I guess since I can't walk very far, and rely on a motor vehicle to reach a hunting spot, I'd best pack up my kit and get out of the way of all the elites that only hike, or ride a horse :| :roll:
Thank you for being so understanding! :P
You're welcome :P :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I have had similar experiences the last few years. I would still like to hunt, but this year rolled over and slept in 4 out of 5 opportunities. Partly work is getting too tiring, but partly it's the slobs. Many parts of the forest have been closed for 3 years now due to a fire that is long over, and so lots of jerks come to my area. They show up late, "hunt" the area 100 yards from the trailhead, and empty all their ammo into the air about 10 am.

However, part of my lack of enthusiasm is linked to deer hunting specifically; I have to carry too much over too rough an area if I get one. And even if I don't get one, I have to carry the stuff to butcher and extra bags. I would rather hunt for smaller game, and travel light. That would let me avoid the crowded season as well.

So I'm thinking of switching to coyote and forget about deer, go out in the off-season, and have the place to myself. Nothing to carry back except a hide. No tags to buy, etc. Less exciting perhaps, but more practical.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Ji: Count your blessings friend. It is ice cold with freezing fog here this morning. I've never been to Hawaii. (And I had a double lumbar fusion 10 months ago.)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I haven't hunted in about 3 years now. We got kicked from our lease in So, TX, and the new ones are just plain too expensive. We used to pay $1800/gun for 14 hunters on 4,000 acres for year round access, seems the going rate now is $2500/gun for 8 hunters on 500 acres just for deer season. And most of the places we've found w/spots available are in 3-deer counties, whereas before we were in a 5 deer area.

Last two times I went, it was as a guest, took a management doe and a cull buck. That ain't a problem, as they're just as tasty!

I've been planning on putting in for draw hunts in TX the past couple of years, but... my timing's been off. They've not been overly crowded in the past, but they assign you an area and it becomes a real matter of luck. Last time, I didn't even see a doe. I guess if my heart was really set on it, I woudn't have missed the deadlines! :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Blaine, The problem with most MC & atv riders is they dont use their rigs to just get to a hunting spot and hunt they go into a motor cross mentality tear up the forest and spook all the game to the next drainage, the #1 rule of hunting elk is to be quite you cant sneak up on a glass of water with a atv. Elk arent always on top a mountain they are in secluded spots, look at a topo map find water feed and seclusion find elk. Some people I know that ride horses can't walk to good either but they can sit a horse to get them to the hunting areas. Iam one of them too after more than one helio crash I have to use a cane to get around one leg is buggered up but I can ride a horse all day long and I get elk most every year and its not with a horse every time either I will walk a gated road or skid trail take my time and move slow. Its not in your legs its in your head you have to want it. Good luck with your hunting. danny
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Amen..Those sorry idiots rip snorting around in those un-muffled essohbees really pee me off too...Sorry I snapped at you....I truck in on Forest Service Roads, and park. I like the secluded places where I can look down into a bowl and see pretty good.....I can walk very slowly, but, getting one out too far would be almost impossible without help. I have to find truck accessible areas. As one might expect, my success rate is nil, but, I'll be out there every year I can draw air into my lungs.... :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Feel the same way. Even had the time this year but I've been so disappointed in NW PA that I didn't go.
It's been so over hunted and poached that if you even see a deer it's rare. There's more white tail in my back yard than there is around my cabin. Of course I'm 75' within the city limits and can't do a darned thing about it!

The last trip to TX for boar was miserable, not the hunt itself but the drive. And there's danged little public land in Ohio, especially up north.

If I was going to relocate I'd go to Northern MI, lots of public land with game and "cheap" acreage. At least it used to be.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mac in Mo
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mac in Mo »

I had a great deer season here in Missouri. I am fortunate to be part owner of some hunting property, not a lot but it is better than none. I also hunt on public ground some times, it is not too bad. My middle son took his first antlered buck this year. We have a healthy whitetail population in this state. I look forward to each season. I enjoy being out there as much as anything, but we love to eat deer meat also.
Going on the annual New Years rabbit hunt in the AM. Big group of guys, some I only see a few times a year anymore. I can't wait.

Kevin
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

After 45 years of big game hunting im loseing my drive, i like to hunt deer yet, but dont have
a problem letting them walk, now have accses to a couple thousand acres, which no one else can hunt
so I have it made that way,The Mts. here have a mix of public & private & on the private it can
get over run with hunters & atvs, when I had the drive I shot some big bulls on public land
but they were in the canyons & a real pain to get out & most of the time bout a mile from the road
if there was bigger ones 2 miles from a road I never wanted to find out

ollogger
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Man, I'm really sorry to hear all the negative hunting reports.

I think I had more fun hunting this year than maybe any other year. Maybe because I spent more time in the woods this year - didn't take any time off this summer -saved it for hunting season.

I'm really blessed to have some nice private land to hunt on.

Though I agree that hunting public land is scary. I've never deer hunted in the national forest even though its literally right behind me - not because of all the claims that there are no deer - but because of the crazy people out there. Everyone complains that the forest service or coyotes or some stuff is responsible for the lack of deer - but i've overheard SOOO many people out here talking to their buddies about how many deer they poach every year. we used to have a whole herd of deer that come down from the forest to our yards - but then we started finding them dead with .22 bullet holes in them.

three years ago, some idiot in a truck shot a deer right in my neighbors front yard - bullet went through the deer and through his car window!! could have just as easily hit a person. our road turns into a forest road just past my house - and when people get out here they think its the wild west - they'll come and dump trash and brush anywhere beside the road - its crazy.

so anyways - yes, while I do still very much enjoy hunting - i do get very frustrated with all the idiots out there
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Hobie wrote: My son-in-law's family deer hunt on their 1000+ acres resulted in 14 on the pole rather than the usual 30+. So much for that.

All my hunting partners have died. That kills the mood some days...

Your son in laws family kinda have the same deal I had/have . It's kinda funny when i think I had a bad year only taking three deer on my property when the state average is less then a deer per hunter :lol:

Only hunting partner I really ever had in Virginia was my maternal grandfather . he's been dead for 4 years now and he had stopped hunting with me by the time I was 20 .
Jelf
Levergunner

Post by Jelf »

BigSky56 wrote:Elk arent always on top a mountain they are in secluded spots, look at a topo map find water feed and seclusion find elk. Some people I know that ride horses can't walk to good either but they can sit a horse to get them to the hunting areas. Iam one of them too after more than one helio crash I have to use a cane to get around one leg is buggered up but I can ride a horse all day long and I get elk most every year and its not with a horse every time either I will walk a gated road or skid trail take my time and move slow.
A lot of scouting looking for secluded spots can be done online. For example, the following link displays a high resolution topo map of the area around Pat O'Hara Peak west of Cody, WY. When we lived near Powell WY we rode our horses to summit one time and sat there watching an Elk bugle.

http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... llshade=18

Full disclosure time: I am the developer of the Gmap4 software that is showing you the map. This project is part of my way to “pay it forward”. Translation: Gmap4 is free for non-commercial use. It is popular with people that enjoy a wide range of outdoor activities.

Gmap4 is a browser app, not a native app. Gmap4 runs in most browsers on most devices from smartphones to desktops. Note that the browser does have to be online. When Gmap4 is running in the browser on a smartphone, it automatically displays phone-friendly buttons. You can also right-click the map and get some useful info.

The button in the very upper right corner lets you change map types. In addition to topos for the USA, you can also look at vector topos for all of Canada and switch to the Google Earth plugin. The Menu button give access to various features.

Anyone can make a Gmap4 link that will show a zoomed in view of anywhere. Simply use zoom/pan or Menu==>Search to make the map look the way you want it to look. Then click Menu ==> "Link to this map". The link that is displayed will produce the same map you see on your screen. These Gmap4 links can be used in forum posts, emails, blogs, websites, etc.

The Gmap4 homepage has a FAQ, examples, quick start info (in the Help file) and more to quickly get you up to speed.

Gmap4 default map: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php

Gmap4 homepage: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.html
2ndovc wrote:If I was going to relocate I'd go to Northern MI, lots of public land with game and "cheap" acreage. At least it used to be.
It still is cheap compared to almost anywhere. One of my brothers and I just sold 80 acres out of 250 that we own. It went for $1,250/ac and has lots of 'edge' between habitat types. Heck, we even threw in an easement in order to access state-owned land along the local river. Here is a map centered on the piece we sold:
http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.p ... llshade=18

Joseph, the Gmap4 guy
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

I was feeling the same way this year, just really hard to roll out of Bed. Then I drew a Mule deer tag and went out on a three day hunt with three guys from work. I had never hunted with any of them. We had a blast. It was about 0 F with the winchill and the guy I paired up with a hard changing bush pusher. I bundled up and started walking.

I tagged a young Whitetail Buck, passed on a heard of Bachelor Mule Bucks but walked a young fellow in who shot his first deer. The host had his son inlaw in for just one day and since the host was crippled with gout he said, Sam take him up that tree line and get him a good one". We slid up there about a 1/4 mile and I helped him pick out the biggest.

I had two more four day sections off, but never got back up there to get a Mulie.

The whole three days revitalized me, and I ran into the guy who organized the hunt a couple days ago, i could not stop thanking him.

My plan is next year follow Danny's advice and get further away from town, no matter how long it takes me.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

DBW wrote: I have a good friend who lives in Glen Mills, PA. I stopped by to visit him several weeks back.
About a half mile down the road from me. I remember when it was real rural but the yuppies moved in. I can still shoot around the house, but nothing big.

If you want to see crowded, cruise on into Philly----but carry a gun. :D

Mike, It is what it is. I can live with it as long as there's no low lifes in the area. The money is here.

I just pretend I'm living in the mountains by shutting off about 99.9999% of all people, then go outside and let loose with a few rounds every now and then. That keeps nearby people from trying to be my friend.

As for hunting, well............I remember back in the seventies I went on a moose hunt in Canada. We flew into a camp and then I paddled a canoe another 3 miles and went ashore. I thought to myself, "I bet I'm the first person ever to set foot here". I looked down at my feet and there was a Labatts Blue beer can.

Can't get away from people
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Removed
Last edited by cshold on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

deer hunting success is down all over the country according to Dr Grant Woods,
one of the leading deer biologist in the country...mostly due to the lack of
consistant rain in most areas.....and EHD...Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease
heres a link....mostly a midwest problem...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epizootic_ ... ic_Disease

and watch this
http://www.growingdeer.tv/archive/categ ... gy/disease

This has got to be the worst year of hunting i have ever seen..
Absolutely no deer movement on our public land...which is hunted hard...
but if your willing to walk a ways...noone would bother you...

Even when I leased private property just a few years ago...I noticed a steady
decrease in deer movement and activity during the day...

However..the last couple of years I have noticed the turkey population
has grown quite a bit around here anyway...Cant wait for march to roll around!

But thats not going to stop me from deer hunting..

But there is one other reason the deer hunting sucks the last few years...
yes...... wait for it....

Our idiot in chief...and a the economy...
A lot of people are poaching just to put food on the table...
This was a huge problem around our hunt club...a extremely rural area
with a lot of low income people... Same problem happened during the depression...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

BigSky56 wrote: ... it' shanksmare ...
It has been decades since I heard anyone use that term. Up until now, I thought it was only a local term where I grew up. Sure is good to hear 'shanksmare' again!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Oly, I echo your comments about our Arizona hunting (as well as some of the OP's malaise). Heck, I remember going out on one of my first hunts with my dad here in '66 when the high desert mountains near Payson were so lined with orange hats you could literally see them lined up ridge-to-ridge without glassing. Whatever poor deer were in those valleys didn't stand a chance. More than a little scary with all those weekend warriors, which frankly we technically were probably two of, and itchy trigger fingers. 1966! A sign of bad times to come. Over these past few decades, I'm not so sure it's mostly the "liberals" as it is the masses of "none of aboves" that have moved in...folks with no convictions about hunting (or guns)--or anything for that matter except their four wheel Hondas--either way. I've found they're the ones out spoiling the desert and mountains. A culture of "apathetic narcissists" I guess you might call them.

A good hunting experience can still can be had but you sure have to work harder at it and as others have mentioned the time, energy and heart for some of us isn't there (or easy to conjur up) anymore. The last few times I went out were an "unsuccessful" Coues (small whitetail) hunt a few years ago in the Chiricahua Mts down by the border, and same resuilts mule deer in the mountains near Prescott. I put that in quotes as I never consider any hunt entirely unsuccessful just because I don't get anything. I do miss the cameraderie, and hunting for me has been largely as much about that nd being outdoors as the quarry itself. The smell of gun leather and oil is also somehow different and more "intoxicating" (that time of year especially) in the great outdoors than in your shop at home, combined with the clean fall air in the nostrils...so it's the total experience for me. It's not for nothing my buds and I have been calling hunting "hiking with a gun" for several years now! I do admit it's a major downer if you don't even see anything including sign (which happened one year), but if you have a chance to tromp the woods with your friends, your favorite Winchester or Marlin, and tell a tall tale or two over a campfire, life could be worse!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I do not hunt deer.
I do not like deer meat.
However if I had to.
At my place in N.M. I would just step outside my house and shoot one with a handgun.
There is no problem with the deer population where I live.
Because I am not into deer hunting I do not pay much attention to these things & the N.M thing may be an anomoly.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

KirkD wrote:
BigSky56 wrote: ... it' shanksmare ...
It has been decades since I heard anyone use that term. Up until now, I thought it was only a local term where I grew up. Sure is good to hear 'shanksmare' again!
Shank's Mare is a term also used by my Grandparents when they were still alive. I use "Riding the Leather Personnell Carriers" more often. I sort of had that drilled into me back when Uncle Sam was paying me.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Kirk, shank's mare has been around along time Ive heard it in the Sierra Nevada's the Rocky's from BC clear down to southern AZ. danny
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

BigSky56 wrote:Kirk, shank's mare has been around along time Ive heard it in the Sierra Nevada's the Rocky's from BC clear down to southern AZ. danny
We use "shank's Pony alot!

Beside, after reading this you should do as i do a little more,,,,stick to small game!

N :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Lately been deer hunting later in the week, more second week, than opening day. In my part of PA., it's a circus and freakshow in one. Nodody is training the up and coming hunters :oops: :cry: Quit opening day of Trout years ago for the same reason. Need about another 9 years at work before I can escape to a paradise. Good luck on your QUEST.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Nath theres just something about elk hunting being in the woods when you get close to them hear the cows talking smelling them trying to outsmart a bull, I have been taking my grandkids next year the oldest can shoot one have to teach her the ways of hunting she's more atuned to the horse stuff as is most girls but a little behind on bushcraft and butchering. danny
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I agree, hunting time, is quiet time for me. I like to watch and observe. So that is tough to do when hunting deer. I do small game hunting by myself and deer hunting is more of a social gathering with friends and family. But at the end of deer season after the casual hunters have left the woods. That is when I really get some good still hunting in.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

One of the biggest detracktants for me to hunting over the past 5 years has been us doing the damage control thing each year for the last five . And typically it starts late july , in 2012 we started in may .

You figure 2-4 months of that and then bow season kicks in folowed by blah blah blah . So my hunting year changes from 3-4 months to 8 months . Ten years ago I'd have eaten that up , but now that I'm closer to the end then I am to the beginning my body doesn't recuperate as quickly LOL's !

Getting older F'ing SUCKS !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

tman wrote:Lately been deer hunting later in the week, more second week, than opening day. In my part of PA., it's a circus and freakshow in one.

I used to dearly love coming to northeast PA and doing the first week of deer season .

But now that all my buds up there have left the state and moved to Wyoming I see no point . The people I hunted with there were the whole reason . Lord knows at the time I could kill far more in Virginia then I could in NE PA with a single buck tag and maybe two doe tags .