A picture

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
92&94
Senior Levergunner

A picture

Post by 92&94 »

The new Rossi 92 44 magnum and my older Winchester 94 32 special.

Got to the range yesterday and shot the 44. I don't have the shooting high problem, so that is good. Elevation is right on at 50 yards on the lowest notch, 200 yards on the 3 notch. Wind was a real problem, nice gusty west wind, trying to shoot to the north. I don't think I'll need to drift the sights at all though.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A picture

Post by Mescalero »

Where did you get the cedar?
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Mescalero wrote:Where did you get the cedar?
Stuff's like weeds up here :D Those are from limbing we've done around the house.

Lucky for me the stove in my shop is small so I like burning those little rounds that everyone leaves as trash when they've cut up the big trunk. Some of the stuff guys sell here won't even fit in my stove. If I ever run out of my own to burn I can just follow one of the local wood cutters around and pick up his leavings :D

I burn some pinon too since the stove will burn nice and hot and doesn't seem to pitch up the chimney too bad. Lots of dead pinons around after last summer.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

NICE!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Been wanting a .32 Special for years! Cool photo!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Nice!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

I have never shot a .44 mag rifle. What is the recoil like?
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

octagon wrote:I have never shot a .44 mag rifle. What is the recoil like?
Not bad at all, nothing like any of my milsurps, which are mostly bolt guns.

Been a long time since I shot either an M1 carbine or SKS, but I would say its about like the SKS, maybe a little more kick than that.
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

Thanks
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

octagon wrote:I have never shot a .44 mag rifle. What is the recoil like?
Considerably higher than the recoil from a 357mag rifle. Compare the recoil energy from these Chuck Hawks Recoil Charts:

Cartridge (Wb@MV) . . . . . Rifle Weight . . Recoil energy . . Recoil velocity
.357 Mag. (158grn at 1650) . . . 7.0lbs . . . . . . 4.7lbs . . . . . . . 6.6fps
.44 Mag. (240grn at 1760) . . . . 7.5lbs . . . . . 11.2lbs . . . . . . . 9.8fps

That's double the recoil for the 44mag over the 357mag and let me tell you, in a light (5.0lb) carbine with a metal buttplate, the difference between them is very, very noticeable. I was really surprised at the difference between my hot 357mag loads in my carbine and Federal 240grn 44mag ammo in my friend's Rossi 44mag carbine. I can shoot both my 357mag Rossis all day long (hundreds of rounds) with no discomfort at all. But I start to notice it after a couple of rounds of 44mag and my shoulder will be sore after a couple of mags worth.

And the curved buttplate on 92&94's rifle can be downright painful on the first shot with a full power load. I'm not recoil sensitive as I think that full power 30-06 loads in our Model 70 are my upper limit for comfortable shooting but the light carbines seem to recoil a lot for the load. However, YMMV.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very nice rifles. I've only shot the moderate/light stuff in our 44 rifles. We just shot a large hog with a 44 special load 10.5 gr. 2400 and a 265 grain cast Ranch Dog bullet. Think Cowboy action power level. Recoil is so light it's almost unnoticable. Complete penetration and killed him dead. So, for most of our shooting, I wonder why we would have to use a max velocity jacketed or a hot loaded/heavy combination in our 44's.....especially in rifle form?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice photo and yep I gleen fire wood as you do too 8)

Keep up the good work 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I like your picture, 92&94. Very nice backdrop -- I just stuffed my woodstove with a load of the same wood. What you southwesterners call "cedar" is "juniper" up in this country. Slightly different species here (western juniper, where yours is probably Utah juniper) but burns mighty fine just the same.

I'll bet the octagon barrel on your 92 leaves it just a bit muzzle heavy for nice holding and maybe tames the "kick" a bit over the light carbine version. Real purty :mrgreen: !
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Very, very nice! Pretty colors on that top one....To me, the .44 mag with stiff loads kicks more than the 30wcf, but, not painfully so.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Sweet
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

earlmck wrote:I like your picture, 92&94. Very nice backdrop -- I just stuffed my woodstove with a load of the same wood. What you southwesterners call "cedar" is "juniper" up in this country. Slightly different species here (western juniper, where yours is probably Utah juniper) but burns mighty fine just the same.

I'll bet the octagon barrel on your 92 leaves it just a bit muzzle heavy for nice holding and maybe tames the "kick" a bit over the light carbine version. Real purty :mrgreen: !
Yessir, I believe that big barrel helps a lot.

We do call the junipers cedars, I don't know the variety though Utah sounds right. The sure do wear out chains fast, whatever you call them :mrgreen:

The one we call juniper rather than cedar are alligator junipers. About 5% are alligator juniper, I don't cut those if I can avoid it, seeing as they are a bit unusual here I like seeing them around. Over in SE Arizona most of the junipers are those.

Needles are a little more blue, wood is real red like eastern cedar, and the bark looks like alligator skin.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Actually we call that wood " shaggy bark cedar " and yes, it plays havoc on chains you can actually see sparks as you cut it.
It is alleged the tree picks up sand from the sandy soil it grows in as it grows.
DBW
Senior Levergunner

Post by DBW »

92&94 wrote:
Mescalero wrote:Where did you get the cedar?
Stuff's like weeds up here :D Those are from limbing we've done around the house.

Lucky for me the stove in my shop is small so I like burning those little rounds that everyone leaves as trash when they've cut up the big trunk. Some of the stuff guys sell here won't even fit in my stove. If I ever run out of my own to burn I can just follow one of the local wood cutters around and pick up his leavings :D

I burn some pinon too since the stove will burn nice and hot and doesn't seem to pitch up the chimney too bad. Lots of dead pinons around after last summer.
I recall a cool, fall evening many, many years ago and walking with my first wife down the sidewalks of Las Vegas, NM and smelling the pinion wafting in the air. Very pleasing aroma. The smell of woodsmoke is about the only thing I like about cool/cold/freezing weather.

Nice firearms.
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Post by 92&94 »

Mescalero wrote:Actually we call that wood " shaggy bark cedar " and yes, it plays havoc on chains you can actually see sparks as you cut it. It is alleged the tree picks up sand from the sandy soil it grows in as it grows.
Right you are, I stand corrected :lol:

I always figured it was the wind blowing sand into all the nooks in the bark, and how darn dense the stuff is. Could be either though, fella doesn't care much how the chain got so dull when he's got to touch it up every 10 minutes :mrgreen:
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Does burn good though :lol:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

92&94 wrote:I always figured it was the wind blowing sand into all the nooks in the bark, and how darn dense the stuff is. Could be either though, fella doesn't care much how the chain got so dull when he's got to touch it up every 10 minutes :mrgreen:
Yes, it's the wind blowing the sand into the bark over many years that gets your chain. These Oregon trees (they are all members of genus Juniperus, whatever you call them) do the same thing: I do contract tree cutting and have worn a chain completely out in 3 days cutting on sandy soil, where a chain will last 2 weeks cutting trees that grow on clay soils. So if you need to cut firewood it will pay you to look around and find the least sandy soil you can if that is an option.

And if you should happen to want to load your 44 up where you can feel it kick a little, I use a 300 grain cast bullet in front of 25 grains of WW296 in my Ruger revolver. I think a load similar to that would push on the shoulder enough you wouldn't mistake it for a 30 carbine load.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry