Anybody ever mess with a Winchester/Browning 52?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Anybody ever mess with a Winchester/Browning 52?

Post by Bridger »

For some reason, even though I have never actually held one, these little guns intrigue me, and one of them is certainly on my one day list. I think the browning ones are the most handsome .22 rifles around. Anyway, like I asked in the topic, anybody have any experience with them?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
92&94
Senior Levergunner

Re: Anybody ever mess with a Winchester/Browning 52?

Post by 92&94 »

I've handled a couple in gun stores, mostly older bench rest (ie heavy) models. I was looking around for one of the sporters, either original or a Browning repro, but decided they were too much for my budget. I ended up with a 1950's Brno model 1 and I'm very happy with it, especially for less than half the $$$.

If I were dead set on a 52 sporter - the light ones - I would probably keep looking for a recent one, a Browning or Winchester remake, as they are much cheaper than the original Winchesters. Those heavy barrel, heavy stock bench guns turn up often enough, but the original sporters are pretty rare. I don't know if the repros were made by Mirkou or not, but it wouldn't surprise me at all - they do a good job by all accounts.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

I have one of the Browning sporters. It is an extremely well-made rifle that shoots way better than I can! I bought it with the intention of trying NRA Smallbore Silhouette shooting, but haven't done it yet. I like a very light trigger for my silhouette guns, and the rules require a minimum two pound trigger pull. These rifles have a trigger that is adjustable for pull and overtravel. The previous owner, a gunsmith now deceased, had the trigger set at two pounds one ounce. It is perfect, but the problem I have with it is that if the bolt is worked briskly the firing pin will not stay cocked, but lowers when the bolt is lowered. This does not fire the chambered round, but I must then lift the bolt and lower it slowly to re-cock it. If the bolt is worked slowly, everything is fine. I tried to cure the problem by readjusting the trigger, but it still does it. Guess I'll have to take it to a gunsmith for evaluation, but for now, I know it has this problem and I can safely operate it.
I sure wish I could get used to shooting with a scope. I've shot my iron-sighted leverguns and muzzleloaders for so many years that a scope is very difficult for me to hold steady. I'm thinking about putting iron sights on this little 52.

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Molasses
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Molasses »

I've had close to half a dozen Winchester 52 target rifles, as well as a couple of kinda-sorta knockoffs of the 52D that H&R called the Model 5200. Still have a nice fast lock medium weight barrelled 52 made in '32, IIRC.

I've also seen a number of original 52 Sporters and have handled a couple. Looked over the "repro" ones when they came on the market. Wanted one from the start, but it was only a couple of years ago that I did something about it and bought one of the Browning-marked ones. It shoots quite well, although not quite as well as its older cousin and it's nice to look at. Too nice; as I don't want to take it to the woods and get that pretty stock scuffed up. I've since found an old Remington 513-S and a Kimber Hunter (and those two will even share magzines) in just-poor enough cosmetic shape to take hunting.
Molasses
SASS #925 Life
NRA Life