Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag Maximum

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag Maximum

Post by Dave James »

Getting ready to pick one of these beast up DW model 40 with the 8" barrel and heavy sleve, any one have favorite loads? Or links to where any ammo may be hiding??? AM ordering brass and dies as we speak, but Remington stopped production a few years ago.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Re: Dan Wesson 357 Super Mag Maximum

Post by harry »

Dave James wrote:Getting ready to pick one of these beast up DW model 40 with the 8" barrel and heavy sleve, any one have favorite loads? Or links to where any ammo may be hiding??? AM ordering brass and dies as we speak, but Remington stopped production a few years ago.
I thought the DW was called the 360 DW, and the other was the 357 Maximum?

Yep the DW is the 360 unless it has been bored or such.
http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotDanWesson360Revolver.htm
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Plain old 357 mag dies work fine with the Max. Heavier bullets, 180 and up worked better with the one I had years ago (wish I had kept it). I used 5744 in mine, but had shot 4227 and others liked 680
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Correct me if my memory is off. The 357 Super Mag was Developed by Elgin Gates for silhouette, Dan Wesson chambered for the sillywet shooters. It was/is same as 357 Max. Ruger and Remington renamed it to 357 MAX for the "new" lengthened Blackhawk frame. Don't know hen the 360DW came out, but was made split difference between the 357 Max and the 357 Mag.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

3leggedturtle wrote:Correct me if my memory is off. The 357 Super Mag was Developed by Elgin Gates for silhouette, Dan Wesson chambered for the sillywet shooters. It was/is same as 357 Max. Ruger and Remington renamed it to 357 MAX for the "new" lengthened Blackhawk frame. Don't know hen the 360DW came out, but was made split difference between the 357 Max and the 357 Mag.
I think you're correct!

FWIW I have a Max (Contender, 21") and it is a great cartridge, in a rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings
Have a DW 357 SM sitting in my storage. Mine is the 8" slotted model. The barrels and "Shrouds" are interchangable. Barrels with in the same caliber. Shrouds are somewhat interchangable between the large frame revolvers. Such as my 41 Mag has
worn a 44 mag shroud with a scope attachment from time to time. The 44 mag has had a 41 mag 8" shroud on it. My 375 Supermag has had several 41 or 44 mag shrouds attached. Sometimes there is a roll pin (guide alignment ) that must be shifted about on the revolver face below the barrel.
I have found modt powders from 2400 to 1680 work well with haevy bullets. Below 170 grains does not work well for me. For great load info head over to the Dan Wesson site. Good people with alot of DW savy.
Mike in ILL.
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Thanks for the replies,, will look at the DW forum
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I had one of the DW stainless 8" slotted shroud 357 MAX revolvers a few years back . And I must say it IS one of those I regret selling over the years !

I used to load the Hornady 180 XTP in mine .

Wish I had killed a deer with it before I sent it down the road .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Peter M. Eick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Peter M. Eick »

Mine is an 8" non-slotted. Excellent shooter.

I use exclusively 4227 in mine and lately it has been with 180 and 200 grn lead bulles. Check your manual but somewhere in the range of 20 grns is a good start.
38-55 & 38/44 What a combination!
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

IIRC, Gates would take two 357 mag cases, cut the base end of one of them and weld it to the other case to make a 357 super mag case, for his experiments
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)