10 gauge buckshot advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

10 gauge buckshot advice

Post by FLINT »

I've looked everywhere and can't find anyone who has 10 gauge buckshot in stock. Federal is the only who makes it still (except for the hevi-shot stuff)

Should I try to contact Federal and see what the deal is on it - if they are still making it, or what?

I really wanted to get some to hunt with in the piedmont later this season - the county my parents are in is rifle only if you are 10+ feet up in a stand - shotgun otherwise.

Thanks for any suggestions
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 10 gauge buckshot advice

Post by Nath »

Load some!

How bout slugs?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Try luckygunner.com

The brothers Quinn turned me on to them a while back. They had .22 mag Critical Defense when nobody else did. They are nice people to deal with.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Cheaper Than Dirt shows some in stock...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/75849
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I load my own , although it's for 2 7/8" 10 gauge .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

yeah, so I "bought" some from cheaper than dirt yesterday because they showed they had some - but then I got an email today saying that they had to cancel my order because they didn't really have any :(

I've been looking for buckshot for months and months actually.

hmmm, I'll try luckygunner - haven't heard of them. thanks

I did think about reloading for the 10 gauge, but it would be a really big investment just for to make buckshot for one gun, that i might actually shoot one or two times a year - maybe.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

luckygunner doesn't have any 10 ga ammo

worth a shot - and its good to know about that site - seems cool
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Ballistic Products, Inc. have been the go to people for shotgun stuff for me for a long time. I would think that ANY shop could order it IF the distributors have it. BUT even Ballistic Products is out of stock. I'm betting it is one of those products the companies produce only periodically trying to foresee their demand until the next scheduled run. I would suppose it is time to go 12 ga...

BTW, I was up on Trimble Mountain today and ran into a party who'd been there hunting for 3 weeks. Their "score"... 3 bears and 4 deer for a party of 14. They have been driving different sections every day as they have enough people to surround a given area and push the deer and people to "stand". So, the deer have had to move at least some but as this is national forest land, and there isn't much chow up there, I'm betting they aren't moving that many deer. I have jumped 7 grouse so far this year. That's 7 more than the previous 3 years all together! Good news.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
nastyandy
Levergunner

Post by nastyandy »

What size are you looking for I know I have some #4 buck might have oo buck
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Hobie wrote:Ballistic Products, Inc. have been the go to people for shotgun stuff for me for a long time. I would think that ANY shop could order it IF the distributors have it. BUT even Ballistic Products is out of stock. I'm betting it is one of those products the companies produce only periodically trying to foresee their demand until the next scheduled run. I would suppose it is time to go 12 ga...

BTW, I was up on Trimble Mountain today and ran into a party who'd been there hunting for 3 weeks. Their "score"... 3 bears and 4 deer for a party of 14. They have been driving different sections every day as they have enough people to surround a given area and push the deer and people to "stand". So, the deer have had to move at least some but as this is national forest land, and there isn't much chow up there, I'm betting they aren't moving that many deer. I have jumped 7 grouse so far this year. That's 7 more than the previous 3 years all together! Good news.
Thanks for the tip on ballistic products - very cool website. I'll still hang on to big 10 for turkeys at least - they still seem to be making that ammo

and yeah, I know Trimble Mtn. - near Todd/elkhorn lake - me and my dad and son fly fish on the north river below elkhorn. and I have been mountain biking on Lookout mountain which is right across from trimble and narrowback mountain which is also right there on the other side of Tillman road. I live just 15 miles north of there. and yeah, we seem to have more bears than deer - at least I see more up our road, and also yes - we do have plenty of grouse - I frequently see them up our road also.
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

nastyandy wrote:What size are you looking for I know I have some #4 buck might have oo buck
I'll PM you!
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have an idea, that has been done before, and might be a little tricky, but doable. Purchase some heavy 10ga any size lead loads, and carefully open the ends, dump out the lighter shot, and replace with 00 buck, and if you are worried about pressures, make sure that you do not put more weight back in then you took out, and you will probably want to put some buffer filler material in too, around the buck shot.

Some people might say you could raise pressures but I doubt that it would be dangerous as long as you are using a modern gun and you don't add more weight, which you shouldn't be able to anyway, because smaller shot will pack heavier. And you don't need a loader to do this, although you might end up needing to make a tool or two to open and close the end.

For deer hunting I might also opt for tying the buckshot together to keep a smaller pattern, with more shot on the deer at longer ranges.
I have actually done this by drilling holes in 50 caliber balls and tying together with fishing line, in a muzzleloading 10ga shotgun. Never killed anything with it, but I did get some very interesting patterns on the pattern board. I believe the old timers did similar stuff.
NRA Life Member, Patron
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

FLINT, another option for some 10GA Buckshot would be to go to BPI and get a 10 Gauge Roll Crimper, some over-shot cards and 8lbs of 00Buck. You could carefully cut the folds off a 3 1/2" turkey load, replace the turkey shot with the same weight of buckshot, place an overshot card on top of the buckshot and apply the Roll Crimp.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Origin ... fo/ROLL10/

P. S. I just had another idea. Why couldn't you get some new primed 3 1/2" hulls, hand weigh your powder, insert a 10ga wad, stack the 00Buck pellets in, place overshot card on top and roll crimp? The question is would a new hull need to be sized before being able to fit in the bore??
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

FLINT, Superior Shooters Supply in Superior,WI has 2 boxes of 3 1/2" 00 buck in stock. Tey have 2-3 boxes lef. Tere phone is 715-394-4982 didnt ask price Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Thanks guys - these are some good ideas - I've never thought about modifying turkey shells - might be as simple as your suggestion. I'll look into that! very cool
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

A while back I had 100 10 ga. brass shells. I think they are still available though they may be expensive. Think the one's I had were $4.00 each. Circlefly can supply the needed wads and you can load them with just a piece of dowel rod. No need to re-size if used in the same gun. This way you can load whatever you want. If your gun has ejectors you may want to disable them to save those precious empties.

Check Cabela's to see if they have the CBC brand in 10. They were much cheaper at about a quarter each.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Any old Lee loaders on e-bay?????

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

3leggedturtle wrote:FLINT, Superior Shooters Supply in Superior,WI has 2 boxes of 3 1/2" 00 buck in stock. Tey have 2-3 boxes lef. Tere phone is 715-394-4982 didnt ask price Todd
Thanks, I'll give them a call !
FLINT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by FLINT »

Nath wrote:Any old Lee loaders on e-bay?????

N.
you know what - they actually do.

I think what I'll do is follow up on the offers and tips from people with ammo right now, and then over the course of the next year, look into coming up with a simple reloading setup - with a lee loader, which seems totally doable.

Thanks all !!!

Billy