Opinions on fee for CCW Permit

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Opinions on fee for CCW Permit

Post by Bridger »

In the past, in my county the fee for a pistol permit had been $10, which i think is ridiculous considering it is a right anyway. I knew prices were going to go up; the sheriff told me so because the county got a new system which actually prints out a hard card, just like a driver's license which is actually pretty nice. So up until today I had accepted that there is a fee and that was that. However, there is now a sign on the window saying that for people 65 or older the permit is still $10. For all people younger it is $20. That big time rubbed me the wrong way. I say it is wrong to discriminate against the rest of use just because we are younger, but the sheriff was not in for me to talk to. I mean, don't get me wrong, I like our sheriff, am on a first name basis with him, and plan to continue to vote for him. But I feel that having two different prices is flat out wrong and I am not happy about it. What do yall think about this situation? Is it worth any further action?
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Opinions on fee for CCW Permit

Post by jhrosier »

Here in the Peoples Republic of Massachusetts, a pistol permit is $100 for five years, and may be restricted to "target and hunting only" (NO concealed carry) or denied for no reason at the discretion of the local Chief of police. A first time applicant also needs a state approved firearms safety course which will cost $75 to $100. Approvals and renewals can take two months or more to be processed.

Trade ya :cry:

Jack
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Count yourself lucky. Our renewal fee has gone up to $67 for 4 years. Will gladly pay that. OH was a late comer to concealed carry.

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Well, we pay a few bucks for a driver's license, too. We may not like it, but it does cost the government money to process the paper work. The solution is to pass laws that allow ccw without a permit. There are one or two states that work that way, but they still charge for a driver's license
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Bridger wrote: That big time rubbed me the wrong way. I say it is wrong to discriminate against the rest of use just because we are younger, ?

Just you keep on workin' hard, sonny, and keep payin' into the Social Security fund so us very deserving old geezers can continue livin' large. :lol: :lol: :lol:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

In a hard-core Libertarian world there'd be no 'permits' for such an obvious right, but in a world of idiots and lawyers, a permit system of some sort is an unfortunate reality. (Remember we live in a world where people are stupid enough to vote Democrat - do you really want them carrying guns...??? :wink: )

I think everyone should be checked out and unless DISqualified for a legitimate reason, issued a CCW that is good everywhere (all states, all places, or at least including schools and so on). That should be at no charge.

(Maybe the folks who are legitimately DISqualified should pay fines for wasting everyone's time doing the checking, and for being a burden on society for not protecting themselves... :wink: )
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I just re-newed, did it all by mail.
It was $45.00.
If it was $145.00 I would not have raised an eyebrow.
I will pay for a privilage.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

One pays for licenses to do just about anything from add a porch to drive to carry concealed. CHP here is $50 for 5 years or $10 per year (if you care to look at it that way). I have to pay $3 a year to keep my neutered dog. I have to pay a tax on my home every year or they will take it from me. One could lose one's home for failure to pay $1 in tax. So, do I own the house or not? Yeah, carrying concealed should be free, heck the criminals do it without paying, but it isn't.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Look at it this way, many folks @ 65 and up are retired and on a fixed income, is it right to discriminate against them on the basis of who can afford the higher fee? They may have a more pressing need for the protection of a CCW, so they don't have to be the victims of a younger, more vigorous criminal element.

I'm not there yet... but sure want the break when I get that age... don't you? I didn't find out the truck stop chain I frequent offered a senior discount for >55 until I was 59! 4 YEARS of payin' 10% more'n I shoulda! I'm gettin' even tho', whenever I'm joined by my son or friends under 55, I pick up the tab... and get the discount on EVERYONE'S meal! :P :P :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am not entirely sure that is a winning strategy.???????
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ours is for 5 years. Think it was 20$
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Five years, fifty bucks......Re Senior Discounts: By the time yer old enough to be dead, everything will be free :twisted:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

I just applied for my resident NH carry license. NH is a "shall issue" state. Unless you are disqualifed for specified criminal or mental health reasons, the town must issue your license within 14 days or there are penalties against THEM! The fee is $10 for 4 years.

All things considered, it's just about the way it should be!

NH still believes in "Live Free or Die!"
Last edited by mod71alaska on Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

mod71alaska wrote:I just applied for my resident NH carry license. NH is a "shall issue" state. Ugnless you are disqualifed for specified criminal or mental health reasonns, the town must issue your license within 14 days or there are penalties against THEM! The fee is $10 for 4 years.

All things considered, it's just about the way it should be!

NH still believes in "Live Free or Die!"
No offense, but, why is BoBo leading then?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Texas, class=$80-100.

Permit: $140.

Five years.

You're getting off easy.
Ray
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray »

Deleted.
Last edited by Ray on Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
m.A.g.a. !
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

In response to our rapidly rising crime rate here in Northern California, I recently decided to get a CCW permit. The six hour class was $125, then another $155 to the sheriff's office for fingerprinting and permit fees. Permit is good for only two years, and I can only carry guns listed on the permit, which is limited to three guns. The permit itself is just a slip of paper with my description and thumbprint on it. Not very durable!

The only real bright side to the whole experience was when I was entering the sheriff's office for my interview and verifcation of the serial numbers on my pistols, the Shasta County sheriff, Tom Bosenko, was just leaving and noticed my gun case. He inquired if I was there for a CCW permit, and I said I was. He firmly shook my hand and said "Thank you for getting a concealed weapons permit." That cheered me right up!

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Ray,
Where the $%^& do you live?
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Mescalaro, I am pretty sure we are both in Bama. I see all the points yall have raised, that is why I came here-to cool me off. My thing is, heck, I am in college and there are probably quite a bit of 65+ year olds that have more disposable money than I do. All I ask is that we be equal, no more no less. Now that I have calmed down, I think I am going to simply have a word with him next time I see him, and just explain what I think.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have not bought a gun in Az. for some years now,
but the last ones I bought, you just showed your DL and your CCW, filled out the paperwork and walked.
That alone is worth it to me.
I feel for the college guys, it is tough.
I always worked for corporations that had tuition assistance, all you had to do was maintain a decent GPA and they picked up thr tab.
That is probably another thing you will not see anymore.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

My thoughts:

First of all, see what Griff wrote.

And while you state that: " My thing is, heck, I am in college and there are probably quite a bit of 65+ year olds that have more disposable money than I do. All I ask is that we be equal, no more no less."

There is probably a great number of 30 and 40 year olds who have more money than college students and those over 65.

And as far as "equality", I recall what I always heard: "life is not easy and sure as h*ll ain't fair."
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Ahhhhhhh, nothin' personal but thats small potatos. Move on.----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Reminds me, I need to check and see when my CHL is set to renew... :roll:

:)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

revenue enhancement...tax... :(
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

Even our God given rights have a hook in them. On priniciple, I hate paying the fee and constant renewal process. If I become a criminal, revoke the liscesne, If I don't leave it alone. In this electronic age it should be easy. The "practical side of me " feels it's a small price to pay :?: :?
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

It is, accept it.
igon51
Levergunner

Post by igon51 »

Cost me $105 for the class and processing about 10 years ago...permit is lifetime (no renewal needed) or until you give them a reason to revoke it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

What state is that?
Seems like an intelligent way to deal with it.
igon51
Levergunner

Post by igon51 »

Southwestern end of New York State, Chautauqua County...each county handles the process as it sees fit. I believe in Monroe County (in which the city of Rochester sits) they have a five year renewal plan.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Please do not be offended, but I would NOT have expected such logic from New York State,
an entity that seems to get a lot of bad press.
igon51
Levergunner

Post by igon51 »

No offense taken...NY does a lot of dumb things, mostly downstate in Bloombergland which, by the way, will hopefully float off into the Atlantic in the next big storm!!
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Here in OK the OSBI gets $100 for your background check and the county gets whatever they charge for fingerprint cards($20 for 2 sets) plus some charge a processing fee.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Ray, pretty sure that redhead could get fired and you could get rich on a lawsuit for releasing your personal information to your employer without your consent. She'd also need a written consent TO contact your employer when that is not any of her business.

Might want to look into that.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Now listen-------Absolutely no disrespect on statement below(and if you want you can substitute first three words in below sentence for something else.
I will say the exact statement I would say to anyone I care about-----------------------

Just------------shut up and GLADY pay it------and pick your fights at something less important----like a shirt supposed to be on sale at Walmart.

Not trying to be a smart a##-------but that dog(ain't worth hunting)

Behave(keep Sheriiff liking ya)-------------keep CCW :wink:
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

In KS, the class cost me $75 and the permit was $150. I guess it boils down to what you value that aspect of your families safety as.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

madman4570 wrote:Now listen-------Absolutely no disrespect on statement below(and if you want you can substitute first three words in below sentence for something else.
I will say the exact statement I would say to anyone I care about-----------------------

Just------------shut up and GLADY pay it------and pick your fights at something less important----like a shirt supposed to be on sale at Walmart.

Not trying to be a smart a##-------but that dog(ain't worth hunting)

Behave(keep Sheriiff liking ya)-------------keep CCW :wink:

To clear up any possible confusion-----when I say (pick less important fights)there are many fights extremely important(worth the fight)but you have to understand this one($10)deal on this extremely important issue(OF JUST KEEPING YOUR CCW)and the POSSIBLE (bad)issues you might get in return by doing so---------this ain't one.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

My thoughts/actions:

I (like many here) did my time (in US military service), and ergo my CCW cost = $0 - since the right dates back to 1776.

I take seriously the "concealed" part of CCW, and NOBODY ever sees/knows I'm heeled until my (or a loved one's) life is endangered.

IMHO, if/when that happens, ALL other considerations are secondary.

YMMV, of course - This is, after all, America.

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I am not sure what to read into that Pete, but taking into consideration where you live; that complicate things for you.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Oh, I dunno Mescelaro - I've only needed/drawn SD once (in NC), in mid-1966. (no shot fired)

NP then, or since - so (so far) any "complications" seem to be in the minds of the few others (all friends) that find out I CCW.

When I CCW, I'm polite (an armed society IS a polite society), and am never on the prod or "sensitive"/"touchy".

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

For the most part I forget it's there, because it always is; but I never really forget.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

Cost in South Carolina is $50 for four years.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Yes, it's not fair, as senior usually have tens of thousands socked away, paid off homes, etc. I noticed my Dad's Social Security check was only about $300 less per month than what I get for working full time, and it took me decades to get it up to that!

However a senior discount is a time-honored thing. I often get the senior coffee at McDonald's if the girl likes me. One optical place I worked gave a senior discount, and 95% of the clientele qualified for it since the doctor's specialty was cataract surgery.

I could see it as a marketing tool, for example, a restaurant that wanted to attract seniors. But not as a government gift, that's just a way of shifting the burden to the younger. But, like I said, it's a time-honored thing.

By the way, I can only DREAM of getting a CCW, in Los Angeles County, only Robert Blake has one. But I did have to pay $25 and take a test to BUY A HANDGUN.

That's right; in order to buy a handgun here, you have to have a Handgun Safety Card, which costs $25.00.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BAGTIC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by BAGTIC »

Many people under 65 are unemployed or trying to raise a family. By the time you are 65 you should have that out of the way.

Are drivers licenses, auto registration, sales taxes, property taxes, etc. lower for seniors?

I suspect it is because seniors are more likely to vote than younger people especially if you pay/bribe them.