C&B Cylinder reloads - how do you tote?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

C&B Cylinder reloads - how do you tote?

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have 3 cylinders for my 1858 New Army, 2 C&B & one .45ACP Conversion.

I'd like to be able to carry the spare cylinders securely on my belt.

Will speed-loader pouches work to carry them securely?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Re: C&B Cylinder reloads - how do you tote?

Post by JohndeFresno »

OI,

From time to time I have considered having a similar setup. The revolver is inexpensive and under the radar. But those conversion cylinders are so blasted expensive. I looked at carrying them in a pocket or pouch to protect them from brush, dings, and so on. How did Clint carry them in that movie?
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

How ever you choose to carry them, do not carry the C&B cylinders capped.
Dropping a loaded and capped cylinder on a gravel or rocky surface could be dangerous. A possible six round burst! :shock:

Has anyone ever seen historical documentation of the carrying of multiple loaded cylinders?
I believe it is Hollywood BS
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

As I've mentioned, from time to time I carry a short barreled 1860 Army concealed (I knew I was born in the wrong century). I carry the spare cylinder in a pouch I picked up from Cabela's. Here's the link. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K ... l+Products

All of this probably comes from watching too many westerns. But then, I was born when westerns were high entertainment, so I guess it all works out in the end.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What 765x53 said +1. A loaded and capped cylinder is a deadly weapon and it don`t care who it shoots. In a battle speed is of the essence but for sporting purposes I would carry them uncapped and a capper on a thong around the neck and stuffed in a shirt pocket. I carry my comas that way also.
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

On the 1858s...Depending on how tight or loose the cylinder pin fit to the cylinder is, even after one firing removing the cylinder can be problematic..The Ruger BP Revolver is a different story as is the Rogers & Spencer which originally solved the cylinder pin sticking in the frame from fouling issue...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

True, the Ruger was easier to swap cylinders on, but I'm not looking fo speed as much as availability. Reloading a cylinder with cold fingers is rather annoying...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:True, the Ruger was easier to swap cylinders on, but I'm not looking fo speed as much as availability. Reloading a cylinder with cold fingers is rather annoying...
I'm pretty sure they carried more than one, rather than relying on a swift cylinder change 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

BlaineG wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:True, the Ruger was easier to swap cylinders on, but I'm not looking fo speed as much as availability. Reloading a cylinder with cold fingers is rather annoying...
I'm pretty sure they carried more than one, rather than relying on a swift cylinder change 8)
I'm poor... not well off.. Extra cylinders are cheaper than extra guns. (about 1/4 the price for C&B and 1/2 the price for centerfire...)
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

jeepnik wrote:As I've mentioned, from time to time I carry a short barreled 1860 Army concealed (I knew I was born in the wrong century). I carry the spare cylinder in a pouch I picked up from Cabela's. Here's the link. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K ... l+Products

All of this probably comes from watching too many westerns. But then, I was born when westerns were high entertainment, so I guess it all works out in the end.
Carrying an 1860 concealed is soooo cool IMO. If I spotted it I would be so wanting to shake your hand.

Any one tried patch lube all over the cyl pin? No experience myself!

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Nath wrote:[...

Carrying an 1860 concealed is soooo cool IMO. If I spotted it I would be so wanting to shake your hand.

Any one tried patch lube all over the cyl pin? No experience myself!

Nath.
Actually, yes. Greasing the Pin helps beaucoups...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

jeepnik wrote:As I've mentioned, from time to time I carry a short barreled 1860 Army concealed (I knew I was born in the wrong century). I carry the spare cylinder in a pouch I picked up from Cabela's. Here's the link. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Triple-K ... l+Products

By federal law then you are not carrying a firearm as it does not use metallic cartridges, CA law may be a different story. Arrested a felon one time after he shot at a guy with a C&B revolver charges of felon in possession of a firearm not valid.
I am impressed with the effort, do you shoot it each morning and start with a fresh load?
It is not the critic who counts
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Paladin wrote:

By federal law then you are not carrying a firearm as it does not use metallic cartridges, CA law may be a different story. Arrested a felon one time after he shot at a guy with a C&B revolver charges of felon in possession of a firearm not valid.
I am impressed with the effort, do you shoot it each morning and start with a fresh load?
Don't try that in Wyoming, felons are not allowed to have any BP gun.
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

harry wrote:
Paladin wrote:

Don't try that in Wyoming, felons are not allowed to have any BP gun.
Not exactly (though mostly) true, but...

It's one of the dumbest and contradictory laws ever... considering that WY law ALSO mandates that all Felons being released from Rawlins receive a Saddle (no horse), Rifle (no ammo), and $20 on release from prison...

But, according to FEDERAL "law" C&Bs/ML's are not "guns".

Can States "strengthen" that? To an extent, but not if it violates the 2nd Am... not if the State incorporated the Constitution.

The problem is that no one can challenge the Law - even on Constitutional grounds - without "standing"... i.e you have to be arrested, beaten, jailed and otherwise abused before you can make a Complaint... :roll:

Who wants to go through that? :evil:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

In re: What is a firearm in California? From Calif DOJ pamphlet:

Firearms
The term firearm includes rifles, shotguns, revolvers, pistols, or any other device
designed to be used as a weapon from which a projectile is expelled by the force of any
explosion or other form of combustion. The term firearm includes the frame or receiver
of any such weapon. (Penal Code § 12001.)
For the purposes of sections 12025 and 12031, the term firearm also includes any
rocket, rocket propelled projectile launcher, or similar device containing any explosive
or incendiary material whether or not the device is designed for emergency or distress
signaling purposes. (Penal Code § 12001.)
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

JohndeFresno wrote:I looked at carrying them in a pocket or pouch to protect them from brush, dings, and so on. How did Clint carry them in that movie?
Looks like belt pouches like a speed loader would be carried in:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Guys, I'm really not interested in how the movies did it, I'm interested in what works.

Unless I'm planning on camping, I really don't want to mess with reloading my C&B pistol while in the woods.

I really never expect to "need" more than 6, but sometimes stuff happens.

In that case, an extra 6 of C&B/ML could be a good thing. After that, well, that is what the ACP cylinder is for.

Still, I am simply looking for a tried & true method of carrying capped & loaded cylinders in the safest way possible. (yes, I know that dropping a capped C&B cylinder could be bad... so can dropping a 40mm grenade. Give me a break here...)

Has anyone tried putting a .44 C&B cylinder into an Uncle Mike's Speed-loader pouch?
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Paladin wrote:

No, I'm not Hicock. I've played with leaving it loaded for prolonged periods (up to about 3 months) and never had a problem. I suspect that firing the cylinder(s) off daily is likely more myth than truth. Sure if it had been exposed to alot of moisture, but SoCal is basically a desert.

John, thanks for answering the legal question. Saved me from digging it out.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

For reloading a C&B in the field, these are the ticket. http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_in ... ts_id=7713

Add your measured powder charge and plug with a Lee conical that has been lubed with liquid Allox.
No wads or grease necessary.
harry
Senior Levergunner

Post by harry »

Old Ironsights wrote:I have 3 cylinders for my 1858 New Army, 2 C&B & one .45ACP Conversion.

I'd like to be able to carry the spare cylinders securely on my belt.

Will speed-loader pouches work to carry them securely?
You are going to need pouches for a large cylinder, say 460/500 s&w or so, I have dual loader pouches for my ruger 44 that were sewn with two rows of stitches between each pouch and I had to rip the stiching out and put one row in the middle so that I could easily get the loaders out. Next thing you might want to do is take a rod and weld a washer on one end to run up through the cylinder pin hole and have it stick out, maybe up through the flap, so you have something to grab onto to pull the cylinders out of the pouches. You might give these guys a call and see if they can help:http://nevadagunleather.com/Speed-Loader-Pouch-280.htm
Trump 2024

All responses have been cleared by the law firm of "Elmer and Fudd."
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I looked at speedloader pouches and even one that carries a cylinder horizontally on a belt. But in the end, I went with the purpose made spare cylinder pouch. It's more secure than the horizontal setup, and certainly fits better than a speedloader pouch.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"