Winchester 71 Receiver Sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ghostdncr
Levergunner

Winchester 71 Receiver Sights

Post by ghostdncr »

Receiver sights in general are not a subject I've dedicated a lot of study to, but had had several rifles equipped with them. Namely, a mid-50's Model 70 and an early post-64 model 94, but I've never fallen into the collector/researcher mode. Anyway, now I find myself looking for one of these sights to mount on a late-model Winchester 71. Thanks to several "improvements" by previous owners, this rifle has little in the way of collector value and is slotted to serve as my heavy lever gun from here on out. With that in mind, I'm in the market for a solid receiver sight that can hold up over the long haul. Any suggestions? Photos or part numbers will be much appreciated.

Perhaps the simplest option would be ordering a new Williams FP-71 for about $75 and although made of anodized aluminum, would probably work just fine:

Still, there's much to be said for one of the earlier blued steel receiver sights so commonly seen on these rifles. I've heard it said that the Model 71 was the last rifle designed (okay, modified from an existing design) and built by tool and die makers, a trade I pursued for over twenty years. In my opinion, the aluminum sight is a result of the race for quicker/lighter/easier and offers little statement to the gunmaker's art, as seen throughout the Model 71. I don't even know what these sights are. Versions of the Lyman 66, perhaps?

OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Winchester 71 Receiver Sights

Post by OldWin »

Ghosrdncr,

I know how you feel as I've been a machinist/tool grinder for 25 years. I'm not sure about the sight in the top picture but the bottom one is a 56 Lyman. I have that sight on my own 71 and several other rifles. I like them very much. They are a quality unit and somehow just look right on an old Winchester.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

OldWin wrote:Ghosrdncr,

I know how you feel as I've been a machinist/tool grinder for 25 years. I'm not sure about the sight in the top picture but the bottom one is a 56 Lyman. I have that sight on my own 71 and several other rifles. I like them very much. They are a quality unit and somehow just look right on an old Winchester.

Junk is junk and always will be junk. Aluminum sights fall into the "junk" category. "Old Win." has it right.....put on a Lyman 56 or 48 in the "old steel---- click adjustable" variation on that 71. :D Williams sights "will work" but I want a definitive repeatable click adjustable sight that will go exactly back to the spot I want it to....not guesswork with some stupid white lines. Just like some people in this country...they may "work" sometimes but not in the long haul with relialibility.

Common sense is common sense and always will be common sense. The reason aluminum sights are popular is that most guys are too cheap to by quality steel sights so the manufacturers started making them in aluminum.

Putting aluminum sights on a Model 71 is like putting Walmart tires on a Ferrari.

Search the net as there's plenty of good old sights for sale. Ken Bean of York, Pa. has plenty of these for sale.----------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Burris Fastfire II on a Turnbull mount/base.

Also, XS Sights makes a top-mount peep sight for the 71/86 that sits atop the rear of the receiver sidewalls, straddling the bolt.

Of course, each receiver wall top will need one 6-48 hole D/T'd for the sight, and due to the higher line-of-sight a taller front sight will be needed to achieve zero - but it's a "good 'nuf" excuse to switch out the front sight for another type that may be more to your liking.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
jhrosier
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jhrosier »

The middle photo is a Redfield #102.
They are not click adjustable but are a good solid sight for a hunting rifle.

Jack
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Haha! Sixgun has such a great way with words!!
Thank you Jack for the model of the Redfield. Did'nt Redfield also have a bigger one that was click adjust? I've seen one model they made that was just beautiful.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

For a hunting rifle that does not require sight adjustments for windage and elevation in the field the Redfield 102 in the middle pic can not be beaten. I hunt them down and have them on my leverguns. Once sighted in and the screws cinched down with Locktite, that sight almost become a part of the receiver and will be there, no matter what. The sight is solid steel. The good things is they sell for much less than the click ajustable reciver sights. Good stuff.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I've bought several of those Redfields and put them on old leverguns and believe me they are a class act. They get my recommendation.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The bottom sight is a Lyman 56. They average $150-$250 depending on condition. A Lyman 66A was the improved version of that sight.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

I really like the look of the Lyman 56 and 66 sights on the Model 71.
One thing to keep in mind is that the Lyman 66A sight is the proper width for the narrower receiver of the Winchester Model 1984 rifle, the wider receiver of the Winchester Model 71 or 1886 rifle requires the Lyman 66MA if you want the older steel sight, or the 66WB if you can settle for the newer alluminum sight.
Here is a photo of a Model 71 rifle with a Lyman 66a mounted on it. I placed a Lyman 66MA in front of the 66A for the photo to show the widths.
66A-66MA.JPG
Good luck with your decision. :)

Dave B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ghostdncr
Levergunner

Post by ghostdncr »

Thanks for all the responses, guys. Lots of great insight, here. While the micrometer adjustment feature seen on some of these sights, a visit to the ballistics tables leaves me wondering if it's something I need. As I read it, a standard .348 load with a 200 grain bullet that's zeroed to hit point of aim at 200 yards will strike 3-3 1/2" high at 100 yards and around 13" low at 300. I can easily adjust my point of aim to compensate for bullet drop within these ranges, so a fixed version like the Redfield especially appealing. Some of the Lyman sights I've seen have only screws for adjustments, instead of the "thimbles" seen on the third photo in my original post. In fact, Dave B's helpful pic shows a pair of Lymans with this feature. Does the 56 have these thimbles and the 66 have screw adjustments, or were both models available in both configurations?
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

Ghostdncr,

Yes the 56 has the thimbles and the 66 has screws but they are basically coin slots. The 66 is more common when searching for a steel sight. Its more a matter of taste as to what you prefer. The 66 is more compact and to me looks just right on a 94. I do prefer the 56 on a bigger framed rifle such as the 71. It seems to blend well. YMMV.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Both the 56 and 66 Lymans have removable drums for adjustments. All the 56's I've bought had the thumb screws, and I've replaced them all with the coin slotted knobs from the 66's (available from Lyman) I'd heard stories from Keith and others about the thumb adjustable knobs rubbing on scabbards etc and changing adjustment. It's happened to me a couple times as well. It's an easy swap. The coin slotted knobs are easy to adjust with a cartridge rim if need be. I believe Lyman calls the thumb adjustable knobs "target knobs" and the coin adjustable ones "hunting knobs". If nothing else, at least change the windage one out, its the one least likely to be needed to be changed in the field, and the one that doesnt lock down in the 56 (elevation locks with the thumb knob on the side). I've had the elevation lock knob come loose several times when using them in scabbards.

Whatever their perceived weak points (such as the knobs in scabbards), I like the 56's quite a lot. I have them on most of my guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?