Trail Boss in .38 and .357 Revolver

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Trail Boss in .38 and .357 Revolver

Post by Bridger »

Never messed with this powder before, but me and my dad are getting back into reloading and I bought a pound of TB to make up some mild practice loads. Anybody else here use it for this purpose? From reading about it, it seems relatively safe, also. Any pet loads? And, I know the link below is to the IMR website so it should be good, but do any of you guys use this method of finding a start load?

http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Trail Boss in .38 and .357 Revolver

Post by mikld »

Haven't gotten to my .38/357s with Trail Boss, yet. But I have been shooting it in my .44 Mag. Puma (easy metering, nearly fills case). I have a plate/bar on my collarbone and at times recoil will beat against the plate under a thin skin layer and I bleed all over my shirt :cry: . So, I started using Trail Boss for an easier recoiling round. Don't have a chrony, but those 265 gr Ranch Dogs do land real close to where I point 'em. Going back to my "thumper loads" now 'cause I got a nice looking lace-on leather recoil pad.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

there are good published loads for you, Trail Boss was intended for your caliber.

Other calibers without published loads can start with 70% of available space and work up.

Any load with Trail Boss is going to be a mild load. Watch for clumping in your funnel, make sure it all drops.

Are you sure you have a pound there?
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Trail Boss is my powder for CAS.
I use 4.0 gr. under either 140 or 158 gr. cast bullets and they clock within 6 fps of each other and impact almost in the same spot in my Ruger Vaquaros. :wink:

That load is almost free of fowling. After a cowboy shoot it takes just a couple minutes to clean them up spotless. :D
You can shoot softer loads but they are somewhat dirtier due to the case not obturating as well. :wink:
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sounds like a great practice powder. Accurate and low recoil.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
Bridger
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bridger »

Well, thanks for the responses, but as I said my dad is getting back into reloading with me and long story short I wound up with a pound of Unique instead of the Trailboss I thought I was gonna have. I am in school an hour and a half from home, and I wanted to make up a few rounds this weekend so I'll have something to shoot next week. I knew I wouldn't get home in time to go to the gun shop myself to buy the powder so I called and asked him to do it, and of course he said no problem. Well, when he got there, he got to looking and decided that we would be better off with Unique, as he has had quite a bit of experience with it in the past. So, right now trailboss is no longer a concern, BUT in the future I still want to try it.
"The best argument against democracy
is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

- Winston Churchill
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I like TB. Have used it in a number of calibers. Makes for great plinking and practice rounds in cases originally made for BP cartridges.