Browning BLR 30-06

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Browning BLR 30-06

Post by Boomer45 »

Good evening Gents,

I was looking thru the gun safe the other day and am paring down the longguns of several different calibers into a few that I shoot all the time. I have a Winchester Model 70 Laredo, Heavy Barrel in 7MM Rem Mag that I am considering selling and replacing with a Lever action in 30-06. Looked at a Browning BLR but don't know much about them Would appreciate your thoughts.

Boomer
Any Time, Any Place
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

BLR is a solid, accurate gun.

I would not get the 30-06 because the long-action BLRs have a REALLLY LONNNGGG lever throw.

Get the .308 or .358 Win.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I second what Tycer said. Get the short action in .308 or .358 because they just make up into a much handier combination, and there isn't a nickels worth of difference between the .30-06 and the .308 unless you are are going to shoot over 200gr. bullets in it.

Also, while the newer BLR Lightweights are probably fine guns, many including myself prefer the older steel frammed BLRs in the short action. They feel totally different. However, one thing I personally always end up doing is shorten the stock about an inch and replace the recoil pads on the BLRs. Then you end up with a very sweet handling rifle, no heavier and not much longer then a Marlin 336, but in .308 Winchester.[img][img]http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii11 ... G_0249.jpg[/img][/img]
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

The 06 BLR does have a long throw, and starting over I might do somthing different, but I bought mine for a long range lever gun and would never part with it.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Boomer45 »

Thanks for the replys so far. I am interested in the 30-06 BLR because I have 2 other 06 rifles. I'm trying to get rid of my odd caliber stuff and keep my long gun loading down to 223, 30-30, 30-06, 300 Savage, 45-70. Pistols have been pared down to 9mm, 38/357, 45 Colt. With prices going up on reloading components I am trying to apply the KISS principle. Anyway, I looked at a Browning BLR and liked the fact that I could mount a scope. I would difinitly like the older steel model if I could find one. I haven't looked at a Winchester 1895 yet but if I understand correctly, there are no provisions for scope mounting.

Boomer
Any Time, Any Place
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I'd always wanted a BLR, and got a hell of a deal on a lightweight in .30-06. It was darn accurate and smooth, but just felt wrong.The short action feels better, but I believe I'll stick to Winchesters.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Fungus Sam
Shootist

Post by Fungus Sam »

Boomer, I've got to weigh in here. I've got 30-06's in both the BLR and the Browning M1895. I hunt both guns, and this past year seem to reach for one or the other every time. I've never noticied the long throw, maybe since mine is a pistol grip model. The straight grip models are more handsome, but I ended up with a PG, so that's what I use. I think it is all in what you practice. I kill deer with it regularly and took plains game in Africa last year. My M1895 has a scout scope mounted forward of the receiver that works fine. I killed a hog with it down in Texas in Feb and meet Tycer and some other nice fellows. I shoot all kinds of calibers, but the 30-06 really does it all. Tom
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I've been a member of this board for a couple of years now, and it never ceases to amaze me just how many people prefer the older "steel framed" guns when there is no advantage to them at all. As I've already established in previous posts, the "alloy framed" BLR's have locking lug cut-outs built into the barrel itself, and the receiver "might as well be built out of paper mache as it only has to be strong enough to support a receiver sight etc". That quote is a paraphrase from Mic McPherson himself, who modified the crapola out of my alloy framed BLR. Mine is a "short action" in 358 Winchester. but even those who were previously disposed to think that BLR's don't balance well, like our own Old Savage, have agreed with me that the alloy framed guns do indeed balance very, very well. If you don't believe me, go down to your local gun shop and handle one for yourself! The action of a BLR can be a little "clunky", but they are probably the strongest action on the market (being a front locking design) and are also one of the most accurate leverguns available, if not THE most accurate one available.

-Tutt
Rhys.94.375
Levergunner

Post by Rhys.94.375 »

does it come out in 325wsm over there? that would be my pick
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I agree with what Cowboy Tutt had to say, but would like to add the fact if you think you need or want the power of a 30-06 you can avoid the long action by getting a .300 WSM. Never heard any reports on these, but its plenty of gun. Someone said the long actions just don't "FEEL" right, and thats exactly the way I would put it also. Love my .308, I don't need the extended reach of any bigger caliber here in the dense woods of Wisconsin, but if I did, I would take a hard look at the 300 wsm.
Boomer45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Boomer45 »

Okay, so I am finding that used BLR's around these parts are about non existant. Stopped at one of my favorite gunshops on the way into town today and they had 2 Winchester 1895s in 30-06 which looked and felt nice but had no provisions for scope mounting. They also had a straight stock BLR. Felt okay but I liked the feel of the pistol grip one better. As far as price goes, Cabelas' has everyone beat by as much as $200. I would like to stay with 30-06 but may go to 308. Forgot that I had dies for that caliber

Before I forget, To Lastmohecken, thanks for posting that great picture. You look pretty happy :P

Boomer
Any Time, Any Place
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

CowboyTutt wrote:I've been a member of this board for a couple of years now, and it never ceases to amaze me just how many people prefer the older "steel framed" guns when there is no advantage to them at all. As I've already established in previous posts, the "alloy framed" BLR's have locking lug cut-outs built into the barrel itself, and the receiver "might as well be built out of paper mache as it only has to be strong enough to support a receiver sight etc". That quote is a paraphrase from Mic McPherson himself, who modified the crapola out of my alloy framed BLR. Mine is a "short action" in 358 Winchester. but even those who were previously disposed to think that BLR's don't balance well, like our own Old Savage, have agreed with me that the alloy framed guns do indeed balance very, very well. If you don't believe me, go down to your local gun shop and handle one for yourself! The action of a BLR can be a little "clunky", but they are probably the strongest action on the market (being a front locking design) and are also one of the most accurate leverguns available, if not THE most accurate one available.

-Tutt
I have been shooting BLRs for almost twenty years, and I am not going to start knocking the newer ones, but better or worse, they do handle a little differently and feel different, and I perfer the feel and handling of the older models, to the newer models, plus the newer models are a little deeper and you have to reach farther for the hammer, so being used to the older guns, I prefer them. And I don't like the levers on the newer ones as well, either pistol grip or straight grip. And last but not least, I just like the blued steel recevier to the Aluminum one, as many others who have been shooting the older guns do.

But that doesn't mean that the newer lightweights are not good guns, just different.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

If it absolutely has to be .30-06, in my experience, the Browing/Win 1895 handles much better. I have never seen, nor expect to see, any provision to mount a scope on a '95, but with a Williams receiver sight and a little practice large game is in serious danger out WELL beyond 200 yards.
TCB in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by TCB in TN »

BLR is a solid, accurate gun.

I would not get the 30-06 because the long-action BLRs have a REALLLY LONNNGGG lever throw.

Get the .308 or .358 Win.
I have had a .270 BLR (the exact same action as the 30-06) and currently have one in .308. I would agree with the above statement. I liked my .270 but didn't love it. I LOVE my .308 BLR. I got it used for a good price and in spite of several offers from buddies who have tried to buy it, unless I can get NEW gun money from it (so I can replace it) I wont part with it.
3t-
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3t- »

blackhawk44,

here you go, probably expensive but would be very nice :D http://www.z-hat.com/
regards

3T
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Lastmohecken, I've been reading some of your other posts, and you have good taste in older Harley Davidson's and older fine rifles. I think you hit the nail on the head that the various BLR's feel different, but one is not necessarily better than the other. You're different than most who have posted on this subject in the past, who seem to think that the older steel receiver models are stronger (when they aren't). Again, you have more experience with both rifles than I do, but compared to the other carbines I own, my new BLR is the most handy.

They do also come in 325 Win Short Mag and 300 Win Mag (or maybe short mag?) last I looked. A very powerful, and handy short action carbine.

-Tutt
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

CowboyTutt wrote:Lastmohecken, I've been reading some of your other posts, and you have good taste in older Harley Davidson's and older fine rifles. I think you hit the nail on the head that the various BLR's feel different, but one is not necessarily better than the other. You're different than most who have posted on this subject in the past, who seem to think that the older steel receiver models are stronger (when they aren't). Again, you have more experience with both rifles than I do, but compared to the other carbines I own, my new BLR is the most handy.

They do also come in 325 Win Short Mag and 300 Win Mag (or maybe short mag?) last I looked. A very powerful, and handy short action carbine.

-Tutt
Yes, the BLRs are handy, and the new ones come in some very interesting calibers. I would probably give one of the new ones a try, if I didn't already own so many nice leveracitons.
edsguns
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edsguns »

CowboyTutt wrote:I've been a member of this board for a couple of years now, and it never ceases to amaze me just how many people prefer the older "steel framed" guns when there is no advantage to them at all. As I've already established in previous posts, the "alloy framed" BLR's have locking lug cut-outs built into the barrel itself, and the receiver "might as well be built out of paper mache as it only has to be strong enough to support a receiver sight etc". That quote is a paraphrase from Mic McPherson himself, who modified the crapola out of my alloy framed BLR. Mine is a "short action" in 358 Winchester. but even those who were previously disposed to think that BLR's don't balance well, like our own Old Savage, have agreed with me that the alloy framed guns do indeed balance very, very well. If you don't believe me, go down to your local gun shop and handle one for yourself! The action of a BLR can be a little "clunky", but they are probably the strongest action on the market (being a front locking design) and are also one of the most accurate leverguns available, if not THE most accurate one available.

-Tutt
Well, all I've got to say is that I've owned more than a couple of each type, and I'll state unequivically that the steel framed S/A does have a "special" feel about it. I'd never say one is stronger than the other, or even one is "better" than the other. But, unless you have experience with a 20" steel barreled receiver BLR in addition to today's lightweight model, frankly you might not understand. I own today, 3 BLRs, one of which is a .325WSM and a rifle I enjoy carrying very much. But, in this case "steel rules" in my book. period.
We are responsible for leaving the same legacy of freedom and rights given to us for our children and grandchildren.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Every time I looked at my BLR, I saw "Made in China" stamped on the barrel, and it just disgusted me. Made me feel dirty.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Travis Morgan wrote:Every time I looked at my BLR, I saw "Made in China" stamped on the barrel, and it just disgusted me. Made me feel dirty.
They're not made in China, they are made in Japan, and I must admit that bothered me, many years ago when I got my first BLR. I didn't like seeing that made in japan on the barrel, but after a while, I figured out that the Myroko Japanese guns are some of the best guns made anywhere in the world. And I now own many Jap guns, because they are about the best of the breed, bar none, at least some of older models, before Winchester let the Lawyers ruin everthing.

My Current Jap guns, cover everthing I need to do with a long gun, not that I don't own plenty of American guns also.

Jap guns I own:

Browning BLR .308 win
Browning BLR .308 win
Browning BLR .22-250
Browning 92 44mag
Browning 86 SRC 45/70
Browning B78 45/70
Browning BL22
Browning 95 30-06
Browning A5 12ga mag

Winchester model 23 side by side 12ga pistol grip
Winchester model 23 side by side straight grip
and you can still buy these used Winchester 23s for $2000, to $3500 at gunshows, gunbroker, etc and fit and finish, and usability is still better then anything you can buy new, anywhere in the world for less then $4,000 dollars, except for a Browning Citori, wops! that one is made in Japan too.

I own and use all of the above, because they are better then anything made in America in the last 40yrs and fit and finish is better then many of the origninals made by Winchester, although I do love the pre-64 stuff.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I try to not buy from any country we've bombed.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I try to not buy from any country we've bombed.
Travis, first off, I have to say, I laughed very hard at your quote! :lol:

However, I have to say that my friend Lastmohecken has it right. I sent my '06 Shot Show BLR in SS 358 Win to Mic McPherson to have him slick up the action. Mic doesn't work on BLR's, but he did mine out of friendship. The first attempt involved some polishing of parts and a reduced hammer spring that led to misfires. It turns out that every BLR that Mic has worked on since then has a problem with a light hammer strike despite the heavy factory hammer springs. Our solution was to NP3 plate the bolt and some other parts. This worked well, but much to Mic's consternation, the parts no longer fit after the plating! Mic has plated hundreds of guns in this stuff to reduce friction, but this was the first gun that had tolerances so tight that the gun would no longer fit and operate! He spent MANY HOURS handfitting the parts after that. He was not happy! The trigger he made, despite the "floating" trigger assembly, is one of the best ones in my safe, if not THE best one. It breaks at about 2 1/2 lbs and is very crisp.

My point is, if you can find another rifle so tightly fitted that even the thickness of plating renders it too tight to function, I would love to know what it is.

I'm not saying I want to fill my gunsafe with Jap guns, but they do make a remarkable firearm.

-Tutt
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Speaking of what is written on the barrel - mine says .243 Only - But, I just use .243 Winchester. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Tutt,

I never said they weren't high quality, because they really are. I was impressed with that aspect. Very tight tolerances, very smooth action.

They ARE unwieldy as hell, though, in the long action model. They balance about like holding a coffee table up by one leg.

If anyone has one of the old curved grip, American made models in a short action, though, I AM taking donations.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

Sorry Travis but I just can't remember which American made BLR's you're referring to. The only one's that I know of were the TRW's which were handmade, tool room (basically experimental) models. I can't remember the total number but I believe it was only 2 or 3 dozen, which were all recalled for safety issues from soft metals. Full production began with Belgian's (all straight grip models) and only lasted for 2 to 3 years. Since that time, all BLR's (straight and curved) have been Japanese production.

If there were any other American production that I am unaware of, please fill me in.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

I'd have a hard time turning down a curved grip Belgian model. I'm big on buying American, though.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Travis Morgan wrote:I'd have a hard time turning down a curved grip Belgian model. I'm big on buying American, though.
To the best of my memory, they never made a curved gripped Belgian model. They were all straight grip, and had the curved/rounded magazine, instead of the later more flat based magazine, which is more or less the same magazine used today in the Lightweights.

While I do prefer a Belgian model Browning A5 shotgun to a Japanese A5, mostly on cosmetics, the magazine on the Japanese BLRs after they switched to the flat bottom design is an improvement on reliability, over the Belgian model with the rounded magazine. I have learned this the hard way, after owning several BLR's, although the Belgian guns were finely made, and I even like the feel of them better, the magazine gave marginal reliability, espacally in .358 Win. due to the fatter neck and the way the bullets were held in the mag by the sheetmetal lips.

I believe in buying American too, as long as they make what I want, the way I want it. But I am not going to reward any manufacture, with my dollars if they don't make it like I like it, foreign or domestic. But I must admit, I refused to buy a knife one time, at AG Russels, even though it was pretty much what I wanted in a knife, because it said "made in Japan", in very large letters on the blade. I mean they used the whole side of the blade to display where it was made. It was just too much for me, to handle, and I passed on it.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

blr

Post by blackhawk44 »

"While I do prefer a Belgian model Browning A5 shotgun to a Japanese A5, mostly on cosmetics, the magazine on the Japanese BLRs after they switched to the flat bottom design is an improvement on reliability, over the Belgian model with the rounded magazine."

Last, this is just for your knowledge, but the Japanese built way more BLR's with the potbelly magazine than the Belgians. Belgian's ran from late 1969 to late '72. Jap production ran from '72 until '81 and the flush mag, hence BLR'81. My Jap 308 is from '72. Take care.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I was handling a 7mm-08 BLR the other day and thought it was pretty neat but did have a long lever throw. I think it WOULD benefit from a stock shortening. One thing for certain the stock is cut for users of scope sights.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Re: blr

Post by Lastmohecken »

blackhawk44 wrote:"While I do prefer a Belgian model Browning A5 shotgun to a Japanese A5, mostly on cosmetics, the magazine on the Japanese BLRs after they switched to the flat bottom design is an improvement on reliability, over the Belgian model with the rounded magazine."

Last, this is just for your knowledge, but the Japanese built way more BLR's with the potbelly magazine than the Belgians. Belgian's ran from late 1969 to late '72. Jap production ran from '72 until '81 and the flush mag, hence BLR'81. My Jap 308 is from '72. Take care.
Yes, I believe that is correct. I probably should have metioned that in my post. My brother in law has one of the Japanese BLR's with the potbelly Mag, in .308 Win. It's a fine shooting gun, and works pretty good. Between he and I, we own a half dozen BLR's. I used to own a .358 potbellied Mag BLR. Actually, I think mine was Japanese, but can't be sure now, as it might have been a Belgium model.

I did have reliability problems with this gun, and never could get it completely cured, and traced it to the fatter neck of the .358, and the feed lips of the mag. Then I examiimed my Brother in Law's 308 and noticed the potential for problems, but it always seems to work ok, and he swears by it. However, I did notice a tendency for the shells to jump out of mag pretty eaisly, where they were much more secure on the later magazines of the BLR81's, so I have stayed with the BLR 81's for my own use, ever since.