Kahr 9X19 compact- update

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Kahr 9X19 compact- update

Post by pwl44m »

Need a little help here on price. I was at one of My Gun Stores Friday and He shows Me a Kahr 9mm Compact with a nice flap holster.
The story goes that a Woman brought it in and said Her Husband has Alzheimers and doesn't want it around. My Guy says He would like to get $350 and I said for this piece of junk ! Not knowing anything about Kahr that is what I thought. So I was at another shop and He says Kahrs are high dollar. Hmmm, time to rethink this one. I don't have the model # don't even know how many they made. I guess I am looking for a shot in the dark as far as what a value might be on this. Wish I could give You more but My interest wasn't very high when I looked at it. :arrow: I will go back tomorrow to see it again.
Perry
Last edited by pwl44m on Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kahr 9X19 compact

Post by vancelw »

pwl44m wrote:Need a little help here on price. I was at one of My Gun Stores Friday and He shows Me a Kahr 9mm Compact with a nice flap holster.
The story goes that a Woman brought it in and said Her Husband has Alzheimers and doesn't want it around. My Guy says He would like to get $350 and I said for this piece of junk ! Not knowing anything about Kahr that is what I thought. So I was at another shop and He says Kahrs are high dollar. Hmmm, time to rethink this one. I don't have the model # don't even know how many they made. I guess I am looking for a shot in the dark as far as what a value might be on this. Wish I could give You more but My interest wasn't very high when I looked at it. :arrow: I will go back tomorrow to see it again.
Perry
Need to know what model it is for a true value.

A CM9 lists for $529 (more or less) and can be bought for $400
A PM9 is about 170 more on both high and low prices.

used ones usually have a higher price than I can find new ones for. I love my CM9. It's worth every penny I gave for it. I'd buy one for 350 in a heartbeat unless it was a rust bucket or beat to hades.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thx Van, I will get more info tomorrow. I just didn't have much interest so didn't pay much attention to it. It definitly isn't a rust bucket or beat up and looks pretty good. I didn't even notice if it had 1 or 2 mags. I will go look at it again tomorrow and have some more info.
Thx- Perry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

The trigger is a little mushy on them, but their action is very glock-like. Mine is surprisingly controllable and accurate. Recoil is not as bad as I expected from a compact 9mm. Of course, after shooting my S&W Airlite in .357, anything else is better.
All the safeties are passive, so it's "point and shoot" just like a glock or a revolver.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Kahrs can have issues. If it's a CW9 or CM9, honestly, i'd skip it and buy an S&W M&P Shield.

I've had a CW9 and even having shot a lot of Kahrs, they can still be finicky.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

MrMurphy wrote:Kahrs can have issues. If it's a CW9 or CM9, honestly, i'd skip it and buy an S&W M&P Shield.

I've had a CW9 and even having shot a lot of Kahrs, they can still be finicky.
The Shields are still hard to find around here. I haven't seen a street price on one, yet. If they are anything like their siblings (Like my M&P40 or M&P45) then they ought to be great guns.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

It is a PM9, comes with new looking flap holster and an extra mag with finger extension. Looks like it might hold 1 more round. Gun, Holster and Mags look new. The Woman said She didn't know if Her Husband even fired it, of course that is hard to tell. She wants $350, don't know if that is negotiable. Gotta find out how She wants to handle the transfer. If it goes Private Party I will have to renew My HSC (Handgun Safety Certificate) $30. Waiting to hear.
Perry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Kahr 9X19 compact- update

Post by vancelw »

If it's a PM9 you better jump on it before someone else does. Hardly ever see one of those for sale used and if you do they are over $500. You can always get your money back on it if you decide you don't like it.

The PM9 and CM9 are the same size. PM has polygonal rifling like a Glock and different machining on the slide. Two mags come with a PM and only one with a CM. Extra mags are 24 to 30 bucks.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Of course, after shooting my S&W Airlite in .357, anything else is better.
I guess maybe!

-Stretch
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

My wife's PM9 has just over 2200 rounds through it without a hiccup. Once we called about my PM40 and mentioned that she had the PM9. Kahr sent her a new set of mag followers, a new recoil spring and a new slide stop spring at no charge. That same call got me the new mag release that I needed, also at no charge. I've had nothing but great service from Kahr. My PM40 went 4400 rounds without a single problem and suddenly quick locking back on an empty mag. A new mag release fixed that. That price is a good deal on a CW9 and a smokin' deal on a PM9!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Sighthunter has a CW9 and the only problem it ever had was an ammo problem, and Kahr fixed the pistol. It has never failed with anything other than the Houston Cartridge Company rounds. It is accurate and reliable. Maybe Sighthunter just got a good one, or maybe someone else just had a bad one. For something that suffered a cartridge case rupture in a polymer frame, that Kahr did not come out too badly. Strangely enough, my Ruger P85 had the same ammunition rupture, and all that happened to it was that it got dirty. The P85 is built strong enough for anything. but the Kahr did not harm me in any way when the brass ruptured.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
guido4198
Senior Levergunner

Post by guido4198 »

My daily carry is a CM9. I bet my life on it. That said... Kahr's aren't for everyone. They're a "Shooter's pistol". If someone asks me for a handgun recommendation and I know they are the type who want to buy a gun and a box of shells...load it up and keep it in a drawer...I don't suggest a Kahr. The kahrtalk forum is a good place to begin researching them if you're interested. When I bought my CM9, the Shield hadn't been brought to market. It may be an excellent alternative. Point is...."Single-Stack" 9mm offerings have been getting more attention. When I was updating my concealed carry piece...I looked at the Glock26. A buddy gave me his for a week-end. I disliked it so much, I didn't even take it to the range to try. I chose the Kahr as a compromise. It's enough without being too much and therefore...I'm inclined to have it ON ME much, much more often. THAT'S a critical test when evaluating a handgun for daily carry. I'd buy that Kahr pistol for 350.00 in a HEARTBEAT.
If you don't like it....It will never coast you anything to own.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

For that price, it's a deal.

Just remember Kahrs need (by their own statement) 150-200 round break-in.

The finger extension mag is a full-size mag, holds seven if it's the one it came with.

Kahr says to reload only from slide lock, which can get real interesting, and not to slingshot the slide.

One reason why mine went away. Even with both thumbs sometimes I couldn't drop the slide, and I had some misfeeds slingshotting.

Don't need to fight my own gun. Went to an LCR for a while, and I'll be getting a Shield when I can find one, handled one in .40 yesterday.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thanks Guys, I was out of town all day today. I will go tomorrow to see if I can procure it. It sure is a tiny little thing compared to My 1911s.
Perry
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

stretch wrote:
I guess maybe!

-Stretch
Ufff Da...I'd recoil at the idea of shooting that, though, someone might get a kick out of it.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BlaineG wrote:
stretch wrote:
I guess maybe!

-Stretch
Ufff Da...I'd recoil at the idea of shooting that, though, someone might get a kick out of it.
By the third shot, fun has ceased to happen. The 4th and 5th are brutal. But for what it's designed for, it's great.

I have a Glock 26 and love it. It shoots better than my 19. But it's not very concealable with the double stack. Glock requires a 300 round break-in, so the 200 Kahr recommends is not unreasonable. But, if someone does desire to buy one and a box of shells, shoot one mag full, and put it in a drawer. . . Not good. That Kahr CM9 fits in a front or back pocket. I'm still looking fo the perfect holster for it.
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

Back in the good old days of the 70's and 80s, it was always stated that any semi auto handgun needs 200 rds through it to be trusted as a weapon for serious self defense. I still believe that to be good advice. Although, on the other side, I had a Glock 26(bought it NIB) that never jammed once from the very first shot. I fired a total of about 500 rds through it before selling it to a buddy. You just never know so be safe and shoot 'em as much as possible to be sure about reliability.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

That's a steal of a deal for a clean PM9. :twisted:
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Never seen a 'requirement' for Glocks to have any breakin of any sort per the manual. Never seen one need one either.

Glocks will get the occasional hiccup, but most will run 2-5,000 rounds without an issue due to the gun and not even blink. Chuck Taylor's got one which is supposed to have, since 1985, run over 375,000 rounds through it without any issues traceable to the gun with nothing changed but the springs.

I'd generally run 100 rounds of the chosen carry load through a gun before trusting it. At minimum, 30 of them. That counts for wheelguns too.
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Well it will be Mine in a couple weeks. My HSC (handgun safety certificate) expired in June so I had to pay $25 to take the test and get another. Good for 5 more years. I will go in Thurs. to start the paper work then 10 days after that. All total it will cost Me $410. I see them on GB from $299 to $700 but I didn't check any closed auctions.
Perry
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Pm9s are in my experience a great ccw firearm. You got a great price for a great handgun. I too had to get over the stigma I had on the firearms. They proved me wrong. Congrats. Blessings
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot