Joined the ranks of the Unemployed yesterday

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Joined the ranks of the Unemployed yesterday

Post by 2ndovc »

Got laid off permanently yesterday. That was a first for me. Can't say I'm all that upset about it though, I've been trying to find a way out of there for some time.
Too much BS!
They gave me 2 1/2 months severance and can go on unemployment after that. Hoping that won't be necessary.
I was already working on a career change when this happend and have something really great in the works if everything goes right but that wasn't going to happen
until December. Darned inconvenient. I wanted to be the one to say "Good Bye".

Honestly my wife was more upset than I am. She's up for a big promotion in January so I know everything will be fine. she has a hard time with the "big picture" sometimes.

We're heading off tomorrow for a little vacation ( cheap!) to celebrate our 6th anniversery to have some fun and forget about the BS for a couple days.

Didn't want to be here but, here i am and nothing to do but make the best of it!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Joined the ranks of the Unemployed yesterday

Post by Griff »

Been there, it wasn't unexpected for me... (too big a mouth, no "yes" man here), but had hoped... For me, it was the impetus to make me go out on my own... Been invited back several times (at a raise), and under several different scenarios, but having been my own boss.... HAR!

I figure "Levergunners" tend to think for themselves, are resilient, and understand that things come and go. I have every confidence you'll land on your feet.

Welcome to the "day" crowd!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very sorry to hear you got laid off friend.
Just remember to read "all " the fine print in them severance packages.
They (the ones that just laid you off)give those(for a reason)

For an initial sum of money(up front,knowing people will not be thinking totally rationally,because of shock factor)
YOU SIGN AWAY YOUR RIGHTS(for various things)some that can be very important(many companies now a days are even asking in their severance contract for the laid off person to waive their ERISA rights etc.)Just one of the things???
Have to read every word because it might be hidden in with a bunch of other things grouped together. :idea:

Check be sure, and if even you already signed it (usually have a specified time limit after the fact to "change your mind"

Remember that when they give you that "large lump sum" (how much do you actually recieve????

People confuse (severance pkgs)thinking its to help them when its mainly to protect the a## of the ones doing the lay off deed.

JMHO-------seek legal advice(might be worth the $100 for the 30 mins

Anyhow----------------Hope it goes well/God Bless
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

madman4570 wrote:Very sorry to hear you got laid off friend.
Just remember to read "all " the fine print in them severance packages.
They (the ones that just laid you off)give those(for a reason)

For an initial sum of money(up front,knowing people will not be thinking totally rationally,because of shock factor)
YOU SIGN AWAY YOUR RIGHTS(for various things)some that can be very important(such as ERISA rights etc.)

Check be sure, and if even you already signed it (usually have a specified time limit after the fact to "change your mind"

Remember that when they give you that "large lump sum" (how much do you actually recieve????

People confuse (severance pkgs)thinking its to help them when its mainly to protect the a## of the ones doing the lay off deed.

JMHO-------seek legal advice(might be worth the $100 for the 30 mins

Anyhow----------------Hope it goes well/God Bless

All it was was a non-disclosure. No non-compete or anything like that. I'm very careful about reading stuff like that.

Really came down to butting heads with the new management. It's been time to go for some time.

jb 8)

Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Griff wrote: I figure "Levergunners" tend to think for themselves, are resilient, and understand that things come and go. I have every confidence you'll land on your feet.
Griff hit it right. I have been secretly wishing my job would go as I'm tired of the bs too. Seems like "BS" is the new corporate way.

I think I'll join the crowd, vote obama, and stick my hand out........gimme....gimmme...gimmme.

Suck the system for all of what you can get out of it. Nothings gonna change in this country until the money runs out. Stay cool brother------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

Having our employment taken away from us without our permission is a hard thing to swallow regardless of the working conditions or out future plans. It is the loss of control over our lives that makes this sting so much.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Good luck. Prayers up for your new 'phase in life' - no doubt you'll be happier without the B.S. factor.
Charles wrote:Having our employment taken away from us without our permission is a hard thing to swallow regardless of the working conditions or our future plans. It is the loss of control over our lives that makes this sting so much.
Part of it is that so many other things have become 'tied' to employment. In the old-days changing jobs just meant you went somewhere else to work, but now it messes up your health-insurance, 'retirement' accounts, and all sorts of things like that, which really should NOT have anything to do with who your employer is.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I have mixed feeling for you - Glad you're clear of the BS & have a plan, sorry you got the boot ILO visa-versa.

I can't say I know how you feel, since I never experienced a lay-off or firing over several jobs since my military discharge in 1966.

I took to heart what an old-timer (then) told me: "Find & do something that nobody else here does, and your future will be secure".
I always did as he advised, and his advice has turned out to be some of the best advice I've received.

(The other advice was: "You can't change other people - You can only change yourself, AND the way YOU think about them. Remember, YOUR pay is in THEIR pocket............" ) :mrgreen:

El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

AJMD429 wrote:Good luck. Prayers up for your new 'phase in life' - no doubt you'll be happier without the B.S. factor.
Charles wrote:Having our employment taken away from us without our permission is a hard thing to swallow regardless of the working conditions or our future plans. It is the loss of control over our lives that makes this sting so much.
Part of it is that so many other things have become 'tied' to employment. In the old-days changing jobs just meant you went somewhere else to work, but now it messes up your health-insurance, 'retirement' accounts, and all sorts of things like that, which really should NOT have anything to do with who your employer is.
Amen to that! I have been worried about leaving mostly because I was having problems with a tooth, and if I tried to get into a new insurance program they wouldn't cover it. Just as if I had a non-dental pre-existing condition.

I have my own Roth IRA for exactly that reason, it's not tied to an employer.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Jason, I am glad you are seeing this as a positive opportunity. Here's hoping that you land right where you wanted to be, and that the unemployed period is short. That said, having time off in September, October and November is about the best time of year if you hunt and or fish. Go get 'em tiger!
8)
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Good luck friend, beem going through some grief at work my self :(

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I really hope things work out for the best. 8) I was really upset, and worried when I got let go about 6 weeks ago, but, it turned out to be a blessing. No more BS, and backstabbing Alpha Hotels..I've decided for the time being to stay unemployed...I'm lucky, and I'll start drawing SS next July when I turn 62.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Sorry to hear the news, I hope everything works out for the best this winter for you and your wife.

Dave B
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the big picture it sounds like they did you a favor.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good Luck for the future, I hope things turn out as you want, meanwhile enjoy the vacation.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Chit happens. A temporary loss of a single income stream is an inconvenience and nothing more. It can and will be replaced by something bigger and better.

You are way ahead of the curve in preparing in advance to move on. Take your skill-set and experience and use it somewhere else to your benefit. Don't waste your time looking back.

This is opportunity knocking, so answer the door! Ever forward!

Good luck to you, Jason. You''l be fine.

:wink: :)
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
pshort
Levergunner 3.0

Post by pshort »

Howdy,
Don't stay on "vacation" too long, you'll find it hard to fit a job into your schedule!!!!

Paul
"Pain plants the flag of reality in the
fortress of a rebel soul"
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

praying for you good luck blessings enjoy the vacation and happy aniversary
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Like others, been there done that. It can be a bit of a shock, but you seem to be handling it well. Prayers up for good thinks in the future.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

I've experienced it a couple times, layoffs and firings!

My wife is like yours. My father drummed into me that it was always good to remember I was looking for a job when I found the last one. She worries but has learned to trust my crazy ways.

It is heart breaking for a loyal neighbour to see the working man grief you folks are suffering. It will recover, you folks are still Americans and you have a proven record of roaring back from worse.

2nd... you strike me like a guy who will turn raw manure into gold!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Thanks for the support guys!!

I've been getting calls from some of the people I worked with asking what the ?

Too much butting heads with upper management really. Can't seem to keep my mouth shut.

More than one has told the boss that you just got rid of one of the smartest people here!

Doesn't matter, tired of being in sales. Time for something different.

Some of you guys have my cell phone number. That was a company phone. I'll be emailing my new shoe phone number to you guys.

jb 8)

Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I hope and pray you will find the job you want, and the BS has stopped for now. :wink:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Jason - I'm sorry to hear that, though you have a great attitude, which will make all the difference in the world. I'm hoping it does turn out to be a great change. Prayers up for you!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

It looks like you got most of the i's crossed and the t's dotted, it just happened sooner than you planned. Enjoy the time off, keep Blondie calm and drive on...

It may not be easy or fun for a time, but it will work itself out and I have faith that you'll walk into something better.

So buck up little camper and quit yer whinin'! :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
1894c

Post by 1894c »

prayers sent...
i worked with an old guy who always hit the Men's Room before we went home--he told me that it was better to leave it at work than to take it home...more of a social comment towards corporate suits... :)