And I thought all RIA made were 1911s

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

And I thought all RIA made were 1911s

Post by Panzercat »

Apparently they make shotguns too.
Supposedly this is a hi shatndards clone, to which I know nothing beyond the hearsay that it was a great shotgun. Apparently this one is pretty darn good from reports and i actually like the geometery better than a mossberg. I could pick up a brushed nickle one to go with my lever for only $210. Might just do that.

Anybody have any experience with these or their hi standards cousins?

Last edited by Panzercat on Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...Proud owner of the 11.43×23mm automatic using depleted Thorium rounds.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Re: And I though all RIA made were 1911s

Post by Streetstar »

If they are as good as the 1911's, that would certainly be a good budget HD shotgun!

I like mag capacity myself -- does anybody know if the Hi-Standards had/have a mag extension tube available?
----- Doug
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Re: And I thought all RIA made were 1911s

Post by edwardyoung »

Armscor also makes a copy of a Detective Special. Kind of rough, but serviceable. Never had one come back. Several people who bought one, bought 1 or 2 more.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =304192654
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Doesn't look like extenders are available. Not the end of the world, I guess, but the options are going to be a tad more limited, I guess.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

That Colt-ish revolver they are bringing in leaves FAR, far too much to be desired, IMHO. I'm surprised anyone would buy a 2nd. Their 1911's seem to be very serviceable...with many saying you need only to change the springs. I've not handled the shotguns at all.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I would guess, like the RIA 1911, the shotguns are copies of another design (Mossberg, Savage, etc.) and accessories will fit easily...

I think I would buy one of the 2" .38s as a "project" gun; clean-up trigger and improve functioning.
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Panzercat wrote:Doesn't look like extenders are available. Not the end of the world, I guess, but the options are going to be a tad more limited, I guess.

I looked at one of these on GB -- it says capacity is 5+1 with 2 3/4 shells -----
I guess we'd have some big---big problems if we couldnt solve them with 6 rounds + sidearm :oops: :oops: :oops:

I always wanted one of the chrome plated Winchester Defenders long ago --- I like a seamless extended mag like the Defenders had.

Guess Mossberg is still making a chrome plated (coated, polished - whatever the treatment is) marine oriented gun, but that RIA sure has a nice street price

I had to look up some High Standards-- your right, looks like a pretty good clone
----- Doug
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Panzer, since you have one of the Mossbergs with a brushed nickel finish, --- i have to ask, do you think its possible for that finish to be buffed up a bit with some flitz if a guy really wanted his gun to have a shiny finish ?
----- Doug
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

I used to have a High Standard flight king. It had a mag cut off lever on left side of receiver. It was a well made gun and gave me no problems.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Rock Island MAKES something? I thought they imported all their guns.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
mohavesam
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mohavesam »

RIA is an importer licensed in Pahrump, NV.
They contract all their firearms from Arms Corporation of the Philippines (Armscor) Armscor, which is a manufacturing facility in Marikina, Philippines since 1952.
ARMSCOR 's licensed distribution site/office in the USA is API in Nevada.
http://www.armscor.com.ph/products.htm
I'm positive God created the universe... I'm just not convinced He had any choice in the matter.
-A. Einstein
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

Panzercat wrote:Doesn't look like extenders are available. Not the end of the world, I guess, but the options are going to be a tad more limited, I guess.
The Armscor M30R8 and M30SAS appear to have the long magazine, if that suits you.
http://www.armscor.com.ph/shotgun.htm
Panzercat
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Panzercat »

Streetstar wrote:Panzer, since you have one of the Mossbergs with a brushed nickel finish, --- i have to ask, do you think its possible for that finish to be buffed up a bit with some flitz if a guy really wanted his gun to have a shiny finish ?
I'm no expert but it doesn't look like it can. I'm betting it'd ruin the marinecoat finish if you tried to buff it, but its tough to tell.

Sadly most of the people talking about it online haven't handled or shot it and any youtube vids are pretty amateurish. While the M30 tubes may work, none of them appear to be in nickle. Again, no huge deal.