Vetran 1911 owners

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Vetran 1911 owners

Post by horsesoldier03 »

All that you mentioned are excellent choices. I have the Springfield MILSPEC, it is nice but 42 oz is alot of weight on the belt. My BIL has a nice KIMBER CARRY PRO, it shoots like a dream and will outshoot my Springfield all day long. Not sure if you currently Conceal Carry or ever intend to, but if that is an option, GO LITE, and get the KIMBER.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

This is my Colt Gold Cup Custom from the Factory.....ambi-safety, flat main spring, stippled trigger guard......shoots one hole....but those Ellison sights remove skin if you rack it the wrong way.....if I carry a .45 its one of my Sigs.....or for nostalgia its the Union Switch and Signal!

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I'm a bit late to respond, but i will second (or 3rd, 4th - etc) the motion on an RIA --- i have a Commander sized model (itsz a steel frame, so its a heavy little spud)

It shoots adequately and has been super reliable for 3 years for me --- probably 2.5k through it without a hiccup --- except when i went too long without cleanings and let the thing get filthy -- then the slide started getting sticky . But a couple of drops of oil and it kept right on rolling for the rest of the range session.

It works better than a Springfield Mil-Spec i have, but the sights are tiny GI style. If you can get one outfitted with upgraded sights, it would be a pretty nice "starter 1911"
I would like to have a safe full of Nighthawk's and Ed Brown products, but until then, my RIA and Springfield both do nicely :D
----- Doug
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Sarge wrote:Those MilSpecs are generally good guns and the package constitutes the classic 'minimalist' approach to the working 1911.
+1...totally go with the SA Milspec...great option... :)

off-topic somewhat: for me i have and use a Glock 30SF...best 45 i have ever shot and owned...never enjoyed the 1911 platform, like looking at them (deeply appreciate the history)...but way to many parts and the take down isn't as user-friendly as my Glock... :)
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I don't currently own a 1911 but I have had Colts and Kimbers. I don't think you'll get more bang for your buck than with a Kimber.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

I have owned 3 Kimbers, and still own a 3 inch Tactical Ultra II, it's a fine shooting gun, but I don't like the firing pin safety, and since I know of at least 3 different guns (owned by friends of mine) that developed bent firing pins in different models with the II desination, I took the parts out of my slide and replaced the firing pin with a series 70/80 Colt type.

I also had a Kimber Custom Carry Pro, this gun did not have the firing pin safety, and I probably should have kept it, but I didn't really like the rounded butt, I guess I am just too used to the arched mainspring and short trigger on most of my other guns, and since a friend at work wanted it, I sold it to him. It was and continues to be a good reliable gun.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Hungarian
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hungarian »

Personally I think the best bang for the buck is the Dan Wesson Heritage 1911. It is a series 70 built 1911. Mine had a better trigger on it then my les baer, and the fit and finish is the same. Price is only $1150 when you can find them. They employ I believe only 16 workers in New York and don't produce a ton of pistols. The DW pistol is like a colt and will retain its value. Guys who know their 1911's have only had good things to say about them. Just my 2cents.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

This is my STI. Not pretty but very functional. Concealable, 7+1 capacity, has a spring that lasts 15,000 round or so (some 1911's recommend replacing the spring every 2000 rounds). Series 70 system, no 80 firing pin block. I have shot 1650 rounds to break in and convince myself of its reliability. It has a FTF on round 89 with a non-factory magazine, then another at 209 with a different non-factory magazine (actually a brand new out of the package Wilson Combat). Since then it has run flawlessly with CCI Gold Dot 230gr (350), Winchester SXT 230 gr (100), Winchester 100 Pack Hardball 230 grain (1000), and 200 reloads of Berry Plated 230 grain over a Lee Dipper 5 of W231. The two hiccups were with the Winchester bulk 100 pack cartridges. Since I have over 1400 rounds without a single malfunction using the STI mag, Wilson Combat and a Mec-gar I am comfortable it is broken in and reliable. It is ridiculously accurate too especially for a shorty. This model is a tad pricey but comes with a ton of features considered "custom" on some brands including Heinie night sights. The spring is still like new. Factory CCI Gold Dot achieve 800 fps from the muzzle and work as they should when they hit ballistic gel. I like the company because they are employee owned and American made. Responsiveness to questions was great and I was assured any service needs are handled promptly and taken seriously.
Gold Dots at 7 yards into ballistic media
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

Here is my current 1911's if I am sucessful in uploading the picture, second from left is my Wilson Combat, which is my slickest and smoothest, and most expensive.

The silverish top middle gun is an old series 70, I more or less assembled, back in the 1980's for competition. It has a custom top end (slide) with a Barstow barrel, the lower was a satin nickel series 70 frame, with of course a beavertail, ambi safety, and sharp checkered stainless mainspring housing. It's still a fine shooting gun, second only to my Wilson, and as you can see, I shot it so much that most of the finish is wore off of the frame.

The Lower right is my little 3" Kimber, Lightweight model.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Lastmohecken on Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

These are my Springfields, both Lightweight models with a few mods. I like the little 4 inch gun for concealed carry, and even the 5 inch is a joy to carry compared to my steel framed guns.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member, Patron
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

This gun started out a new reproduction Colt series 70, but I took the slide off and added my Wilson 22 conversion slide and barrel. The only other mods have been ambi safety, and Wilson wood grips. I am just leaving this gun as my dedicated .22 1911. Which means I have an extra slide in the safe.

Believe me if you enjoy shooting 1911's then you just have to get a .22 conversion, because it's so much fun and good practice. And mine shoots so good it's pretty much as accurate and on target as I could hope for.
NRA Life Member, Patron
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

86er wrote:I am a fan of STI. Custom at production price and an employee owned company w outstanding customer support.
I don't have an STI (Kimber here), but everything I've read supports the above statement. STI would be my "inexpensive" recommendation.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail