One point sling / Saddle Ring backfit to a 70s M94

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jshinal
Levergunner

One point sling / Saddle Ring backfit to a 70s M94

Post by jshinal »

After recently buying my first W1894, I've fitted Williams peep sights to it, and will go out this weekend with my brother to get the gun sighted in (and fix one issue, it's far too clean :wink: ).

But looking at the excellent one-point sling systems our soldiers are using with their M4s, I wonder about fitting the same to this little rifle.

1. Has anyone tried to use a modern 1-point sling with a saddle ring ?
2. Has anyone back-fitted a saddle ring to a non-saddle ring '94 ?
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: One point sling / Saddle Ring backfit to a 70s M94

Post by JerryB »

We used to have a man here that made sling like that. Some have put saddle rings on and bought the sling. Looks like it works good. I believe Junior is on Cast Bullets forum now.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
jshinal
Levergunner

Post by jshinal »

Well, now. It seems Mr. Doughty has that worked out mighty well. I had in mind the cross-chest carry I've seen our active duty infantry wearing, but I suppose I'll email him and see if it's adaptable to that. It's certainly a terrific price, and I've seen the ring and studs are pretty inexpensive from Wisners.

Thanks guys - nice to see so many of us are practical fellas who think along the same lines.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I've done it with a 20" .357 Rossi 92, but it does bounce around quite a bit. Maybe the 'military' carry mode would work better.

There IS a 'sling-ring' adapter that goes on any section of scope rail (thin enough to fit under a scope). I've experimented with a short section of scope-rail on a Marlin 1894 in the front two scope-rail holes, and that adapter. Midway sells them and I think Mag-Pul is the maker.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

I use Junior's sling. It works really well when still hunting deer. When standing and watching I keep my hand on the forend and let the sling support the weight of the gun, so it helps with supporting the weight but still in a ready state. Very seldom do I just let it hang on my side.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I have one of Junior's slings and a couple of the "tactical" shock-cord types too. Both work well, but I actually prefer the shock cord type because the shock cord lets you carry the gun higher but still allows you to raise it into the shoulder.

I got mine from Sportmans Guide for about $18 ea.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Like BenT , I use one of Juniors slings while deer hunting . I like it , as stated above it helps carry some of the weight of the rifle . Also , if I need both hands to grab a snack , check the map and compass , or see a tree that really " needs watering " , I don't have to worry about finding a place to lean the rifle . I know a few folks that missed a rare opportunity for an Adirondack buck because their rifle was leaning against a tree a few feet away.
Phil
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

If you're going to use it in that fashion (that's actually more what they were designed for, not hanging off a saddle), I'd suggest getting the old style stud rather than the new ones. The new versions are a much smaller stud size, and I believe were mainly intended to be decorative. I understand that guys have been using the newer ones, but if it were me, I'd rather have the 1/4" size stud than the about 1/8" size of the new ones if I was hanging my gun off of it.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

When Junior first came up with his sling I bought one of his first for my 94AE Ranger Compact 357 magnum, perfect setup for this little trapper allowing carry at side with quick access, and also a quick detach without having to remove sling from the shoulder.

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I also saw a guy at a gunshow carrying a saddle-ring carbine without a sling, using some sort of 'J-hook' on his belt - I think it may have been some sort of hardware-store type tool-holder, but it was basically just a sort of 'J' shaped piece of metal on a nylon or leather backing which slipped around the belt - forget which. Didn't look homemade. I don't know if he used it afield or just happened to take advantage of it so he could carry other stuff. Always thought I might try that myself.

Such a 'J' hook device is also the way my son carries his binoculars when he goes to 3-D bow shoots - just a round keyring on a very short binocular strap maybe 3" long on each side, and the keyring fits over some 'J' thing he has on his belt. The binoculars are instantly available, not bouncing on the chest all the time, and not in the way while shooting.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
rhead
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rhead »

I like it because it allows you to go from tha slung rifle to ready to fire without changing the shape of your silloutte.

Also it makes fo a steady hold with a Rossi Ranch Hand by extenting your arms until the sling is tight.
The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.