Anyone with a Rossi 92 44mag and Williams FP peep sight

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Anyone with a Rossi 92 44mag and Williams FP peep sight

Post by Roland »

Could you be so kind as to tell me what front sight height has worked best for you? Or does the standard sight work? Been trying to search the archives but I have not found anything for this particular combo... Interested in the Marble 1/16 front sight with gold bead for this rifle.

I want to replace my front anyway because it is crooked and off center. I don't remember it being crooked until just now, only off-center (but it shoots straight like that), could I have banged it into something, but wouldn't it break rather than bend? The bend actually moves the post into the center line...
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Re: Anyone with a Rossi 92 44mag and Williams FP peep sight

Post by Old Ironsights »

I had to put a taller sight on my .357. Bought it from Skinner Sights. Don't remember the + height though. Might be different for the .44 too...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

I drifted the front steel sight off and braised a brass bead on top with an oxy/acetelene torch.. shows up quite nicely (brass bead)and added to the height..(did'nt measure it) and is lots tougher than a little machined bead inserted in a tiny hole that will be missing just when you need it most.. My Rossi 44 mag is Stainless but the front sight is blued steel..worked just fine..HTH Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'll check, but I think my .44 Mag was the one I just drilled fore-to-aft with a fine bit, and filed a couple 'light window' notches in the top, and put in a green fiber-optic. No height change. http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =1&t=21648

On ones where I've changed height, all I've done was measure the existing one, and go 'up' to the next highest or one after that (most of the sights are available in I think 1/8" increments in height). I came to that conclusion after shooting groups with the Williams FP I'd already installed on the gun, 'centered' as far as elevation, and seeing about how how too-high the groups were. It's just ratios, so at 25 yards you're at 900 inches. Say the sight radius is 18 inches for example. Whatever amount you want to move the impact at 900 inches, you'll have to move one of the sights 18/900ths of that or 1/50th. So if you're shooting 8" high, you'll need a front sight 8/50ths or 16/100ths or 0.16" taller.

I like the 1/16" gold bead sights too. Good choice. 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

I just installed a .570" high front sight w/brass bead on my Puma .44 Mag., original was .500". Paid about $13.00 for it at Brownell's. The Williams sight I installed was bottomed out and the gun still shot about 3" high @ 30 yds. I haven't had a chance to resight it in yet...

I haven't figgered out how much the extra .070" will raise the POI, 'cause I don't know the formula/math stuff, so I'll jst shoot it :mrgreen:
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

mikld wrote:I haven't figgered out how much the extra .070" will raise the POI, 'cause I don't know the formula/math stuff, so I'll jst shoot it :mrgreen:
That's cheating. . . you can't just shoot it - that's having too much FUN...! :lol:

30 yards is 1080 inches, so say you have a 21-22" sight radius; that's about 1/50th the 1080 inches to the target, so your 0.07" will have fifty times that 'movement' out at 30 yards, or about 3.5".
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

.570" sounds very high, I measured mine though and I think its around .470" from bottom of the dovetail to it's top, the bit that sticks out of the barrel seems to be around .375" high or thereabouts. I am not sure what the proper way to measure these are. As it is currently my gun hits where I point it with the buckhorn sights, so if I need a slight taller one, maybe .500" is good?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

With most sights, you do indeed measure from the bottom of the dovetail to the top of the sight/bead. Don't fret too much about a few hundredths of an inch - sights are relatively cheap, so buy a couple that 'bracket' the change you think you'll need. The other one may sit in your parts-drawer for years, or you may use it in a couple months, but it won't bankrupt you either way... :wink:

Roland
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Roland »

Indeed, 25 for three heights at brownells (with discount), not bad.