Difference between pre 64 and post 64 forearm cap?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Difference between pre 64 and post 64 forearm cap?

Post by BenT »

I'm trying to put together an octagon barrel post 64 rifle. I picked up a forearm end cap at a gun show and it didn't fit ,seemed to small. I ordered a post 64 after market forearm cap from numrich and it is identical to the one I already have. I've been looking at pictures and it seems the post 64 endcap is bigger than the pre 64. So any one have any insight on the differences between the two? Thanks
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yes, the pre-64 forend cap is slimmer and trimmer. It is held in place by a tenon in a dovetail in the underside of the barrel and two screws, one from either side. The post-64, ala Commemorative, forend cap is not as svelte, and is held in place by a thru screw. You can see the difference @ Numrich's site Post-64 Forend Caps.

If you want the earlier style with the tenon, the tenon is available from VTI Parts. under the '73 rifle. It is strictly for the octagon barrel, but will fit.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

That is the one that I ordered. If there is one long screw that goes from one side to the other. Shoudn't one side of the cap be threaded ? Also what kind of a hanger is on the barrel to secure it?

I have the endcap with the tenon. But my forearm wood is for the post 64. It just seemed like a lot extra wood to get rid of for the pre 64 cap to fit.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BenT wrote:That is the one that I ordered. If there is one long screw that goes from one side to the other. Shoudn't one side of the cap be threaded ? Also what kind of a hanger is on the barrel to secure it?
I have the endcap with the tenon. But my forearm wood is for the post 64. It just seemed like a lot extra wood to get rid of for the pre 64 cap to fit.
In the below picture, the tenon is part #225

One end of the "Commemorative" styled Winchester cap is threaded. It's been so long since I had mine apart, I don't recall exactly how it is attached to the barrel. But, the pre-64 style uses a tenon in a dovetail on the underside of the barrel as shown above (well, actually you can't see the dovetail. In addition; the ring, p/n: 275 with pin, p/n: 281 shown above also help hold the magazine in position.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Thanks Griff, There is a gunshow in town this weekend and I'll be looking for a post 64 to compare to. I have only $20 into the pre 64 cap and tenon . So I'll probably stick with that. The post 64 forearm I got will need some wood taken off to get it down to the right size to fit the end cap . Hopefully I'll see what I need to see at the gunshow to make it look correct.