VERY TIMID MOUNTAIN GOATS

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

VERY TIMID MOUNTAIN GOATS

Post by OJ »

My wife, Bonnie, is a native -she grew up in Cripple Creek, Colorado, and her high school holds a reunion every year. Some friends ask if the gambling ruined the town but her answer is clearly it saved a dying community and now, mining has returned. End result is there are good hotels and restaurants with reasonable prices than ever - good turnout.

On the way home, we were lucky enough to spot these very timid and rarely seen mountain goats by the roadside -

They are so timid and their color blends in with the terrain - many drove by without seeing them - but it is such a pleasure to watch them move so gracefully and surely over the rocks - thought this pic should be shared - even though they aren't lever guns - :mrgreen:
Last edited by OJ on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hobie

Re: VERY TIMID MOUNTAIN GOATS

Post by Hobie »

Thanks! Glad you had a good time.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

goats? maybe sheep?

glad you had a good time , any road. :mrgreen:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

pokey wrote:goats? maybe sheep?

glad you had a good time , any road. :mrgreen:
Technically, I think you may be correct - they probably are of the sheep family - out here, though, we think of sheep as those magnificant Bighorns and these little timid guys as goats - they are fun to watch and - they blend in with the mountain around them so much most people don't even see them even when they are within a hundred feet of the road - while we were taking their pictures, there must have been 40 or 50 cars zip past - thinking of the gambling in CC, I guess - and missing one of the beauties of our mountains.

Noun 1. bighorn sheep - wild sheep of mountainous regions of western North America having massive curled horns
Ovis canadensis, Rocky Mountain bighorn, Rocky Mountain sheep, bighorn, cimarron
genus Ovis, Ovis - sheep
mountain sheep - any wild sheep inhabiting mountainous regions
Last edited by OJ on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Bighorn sheep ! Those appear to be ewes =though the littlest one could be a ram-in which case he would be expected to develop massive curled horns. Ovis canadensis--bighorn

Neat animals. Mountain goats typically are whiter in color, have short dark horns and show a beard on their chinny chin chins. :D
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Batman1939 wrote:Bighorn sheep ! Those appear to be ewes =though the littlest one could be a ram-in which case he would be expected to develop massive curled horns. Ovis canadensis--bighorn

Neat animals. Mountain goats typically are whiter in color, have short dark horns and show a beard on their chinny chin chins. :D
Well - no - these are as large as this breed gets - they tend to hang out in this area around Cripple Creek and I've followed them for years - though we don't see them every year -look closely and you will see the males with little short pointed horns - they are significantly smaller breed than the Bighorns - which are usually a more white color.

Before my parts (knees) started "wearing out" after I retired, my weekly motorcycle ride was to Cripple Creek - visited with old friends - parents of Bonnie's best friend - the mayor when gambling came in - no longer with us -

People talk about the golden years but, at my age of 86 (next month) it's my opinion that yellow stuff isn't gold - it's rust -

:wink:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

My sister lived in the Springs area some years ago so we had an oportunity to visit Cripple Creek. Fun time for everyone. Gold Camp Road is a real pleasure too. I met and made friends with a man there who was panning and he invited me to pan with him for a day. Great time.
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Yes, it is amazing what people just do not see as they go through life :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Borregos wrote:Yes, it is amazing what people just do not see as they speed past life :D :D
There, fixed that for ya... and never image how much fully it would be if they just slowed down and observed a bit more!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

OJ wrote:
Batman1939 wrote:Bighorn sheep ! Those appear to be ewes =though the littlest one could be a ram-in which case he would be expected to develop massive curled horns. Ovis canadensis--bighorn

Well - no - these are as large as this breed gets - they tend to hang out in this area around Cripple Creek and I've followed them for years - though we don't see them every year -look closely and you will see the males with little short pointed horns - they are significantly smaller breed than the Bighorns - which are usually a more white color.

Before my parts (knees) started "wearing out" after I retired, my weekly motorcycle ride was to Cripple Creek - visited with old friends - parents of Bonnie's best friend - the mayor when gambling came in - no longer with us -

:wink:
People talk about the golden years but, at my age of 86 (next month) it's my opinion that yellow stuff isn't gold - it's rust -

Sorry to learn about your bad knees; I've got a bit of the same problem, though I'm just a youngster of 73.

I'm really quite certain that your "goats" are bighorn sheep, but don't want to disrespect my elders. If you are correct, then you've discovered a species new to science. Congratulations !!

I hope I'm still able to get out and about to watch wildlife when I'm 86. Good for you. :)
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

[b]"Despite its name, the mountain goat is actually a member of the antelope family. It has a long face, long black horns and a short tail. Both males and females have beard-like hair on their chins. The mountain goat sports a coat of wooly, white fur that keeps it warm at high elevations. This coat has a double layer for added warmth during winter—the overcoat molts, or falls off, during summer time".[/b]

Quote from Wikipedia -

Those in the picture are all adults and two are buck males with the straight horns - look closely - we have other pics showing small offspring but, with their color this time of year, blend in and don't show up well.

Picture from Wikipedia - "Mountain Goats"

Look closely - here's one with a "kid" -

OTOH, Bighorns tend to stay in one place over the years - I drove sight-seeing busses summers when in med school - 1947-1951 - there was a herd on Mt Evans - we eveb have a small herd in the burn area west part of CS - reported this AM to be OK - these little "goats" stay within a radius of some 10 miles from Cripple Creek - I've seen them west of CC near Highway #1.

I've been a "native" Colorado resident since I came to Colorado in 1942 (at age 16) and have spent much time in mountains skiing, hiking, hunting - etc - and, while not a certified "naturalist" - am pretty well acquainted with all our wild life.

I really just meant to show some of our more rare species in Colorado for members who never get the chance to see them and didn't mean to stir up such controversy among others - who, as nearly as I can see, have never seen this species - or lived close to them - but feel they know more than natives here about them.

Trust me - these are not Bighorns - maybe more antelope than goat but - have shed winter white coat nad look gray in summer -

As to their "killing" people - I suspect it was because the people killed didn't have the skilled feet these little guys do and people trying to get closer to those goats lost their footing and fell - these little guys have never shown any aggressive tendancy - in fact are frequently difficult to get close to for picture taking - leaving them alone at distance is good but, even then they tend to shy away from anything like close contact - havig a camera with a long lens is the best answer.
Last edited by OJ on Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:17 pm, edited 9 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

FWIW, Goats in the Olympic Mtns are an invasive species, and have actually killed a couple persons, forcing them off the edge...death by falling :shock: :shock:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Post by jkbrea »

I've been wanting to go to Cripple Creek for the past year. I just found out my grandfather lived and died there. He was a very well liked blacksmith in town. Neat history in Cripple Creek. Sounds like it was a wild place during it's peak mining days. Just got back from Glenwood Springs and my brother is actually going to Cripple Creek this week to check it out.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

jkbrea wrote:I've been wanting to go to Cripple Creek for the past year. I just found out my grandfather lived and died there. He was a very well liked blacksmith in town. Neat history in Cripple Creek. Sounds like it was a wild place during it's peak mining days. Just got back from Glenwood Springs and my brother is actually going to Cripple Creek this week to check it out.
Well, my wife not only grew up in CC but, she "grew up in a pool hall' (a phrase usually meaning a misspent youth) -her dad owned it - the photo on the left shows her at age 5 lining up a shot - as her dad holds his head - was front page pic on local paper in about 1955. They lived upstairs in the pool hall. Wedding pic on right - 1980.

Here's a pic of Bennet (main street) avenuue with ice sculptures last winter showing storefronts have been "preserved" (spell restored). (Photobucket not responding - feminine side, I guess - will try later)
OK now -

Gold Camp Road was built on a railroad bed and was scenic but rough washboard gravel road - a threat to auto suspensions - no longer open all the way since a couple of tunnels collapsed - can still be traveled with some detours.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Your pix are Rocky Mt. Bighorn sheep... ewes and lamb .. young rams also look like that.. only after two or three are rams horns getting large enough to be noticed. Thanks for shareing... Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Les Staley wrote:Your pix are Rocky Mt. Bighorn sheep... ewes and lamb .. young rams also look like that.. only after two or three are rams horns getting large enough to be noticed. Thanks for shareing... Les

COUPLE OF GUYS AND THEIR GALS

Look closely - here's one with a "kid" -

Picture from Wikipedia - "Mountain Goats"

Noun 1. bighorn sheep - wild sheep of mountainous regions of western North America having massive curled horns
Ovis canadensis, Rocky Mountain bighorn, Rocky Mountain sheep, bighorn, cimarron
genus Ovis, Ovis - sheep
mountain sheep - any wild sheep inhabiting mountainous regions.
Last edited by OJ on Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Here's some interesting reading on the subject of North American goats and sheep especially the last section "Bighorn Sheep or Mountain Goats?: http://www.bighorn.org/biology.html
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Doc,
Thanks for sharing the pics! I don't care what ya'll call those criters. Congrats on seeing 86, I hope you live to a hundred.
Best wishes
Sam
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

Thanks for the pix.. we drive thru one area just south of Jackson hole that winters a few bighorn sheep.. very seldom do you see a mature ram with the ewes and lambs... Les
Last edited by Les Staley on Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

cute little buggers --- i see them around Pike's Peak a lot whenever i get to the Springs -- neat to see wildlife i dont see in Oklahoma --- i even like the speedgoats i see when i'm driving through NM :)
----- Doug
octagon
Senior Levergunner

Post by octagon »

OJ, thanks for the cool photos. I used to fish up that way on the Frying Pan as a young man. Would like to take the kids up there to show em some mountains.
I always look forward to your posts and opinions on this forum and have for years.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

octagon wrote:OJ, thanks for the cool photos. I used to fish up that way on the Frying Pan as a young man. Would like to take the kids up there to show em some mountains.
I always look forward to your posts and opinions on this forum and have for years.
Thanks for the kind words - we don't even have to leave home to see great wildlife critters - thanks to being in a "rustic" zone and some 22 acres of designated "open space" behind us"

Friendly - likes dog treats

We also have bear but, they go by at a trot - except for the one who trashed Bonnie's birdfeeded - me without a camera and Bonnie without a gun - :wink:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
76 Warlock
Levergunner

Post by 76 Warlock »

I have been hunting along the front range for 60 years and know every big game animal, those are young imature big horn sheep. Goats are white as shown in the picture in a previous post. Goats become very unafraid of people very quickly, if you want to see them up close go to the summit of Mt Evans people actually feed the goats out the car window. The big horns do not become very comfortable around people.

Sorry,

Clyde
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

76 Warlock wrote:I have been hunting along the front range for 60 years and know every big game animal, those are young imature big horn sheep. Goats are white as shown in the picture in a previous post. Goats become very unafraid of people very quickly, if you want to see them up close go to the summit of Mt Evans people actually feed the goats out the car window. The big horns do not become very comfortable around people.

Sorry,

Clyde
You can drive to the top of Everest now? :lol:
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

76 Warlock wrote:I have been hunting along the front range for 60 years and know every big game animal, those are young imature big horn sheep. Goats are white as shown in the picture in a previous post. Goats become very unafraid of people very quickly, if you want to see them up close go to the summit of Mt Evans people actually feed the goats out the car window. The big horns do not become very comfortable around people.

Sorry,

Clyde
I'm inclined to believe you're right and my thinking "goats" was wrong - I must confess, I've been a Colorado "native" since my folks moved from ranch lands in Sandhill Nebraska in 1942 - at age 16, I found there were other ways to make a living than as a cowboy. Except for the years I spent in WW II, Korean War, and some six years serving internship and surgery training at county hospital for Detroit, I've remained a "native".

What confused me with years of hunting, skiing, camping, and driving sight-seeing vehicles summers when in med school was I would see mature bighorns - pretty much in same areas every year, and those little gray guys between Cripple Creek and Divide and never saw any with those magnificent big horns with those little guys - or any little gray guys with the big White ones with the truly magnificent curved horns making it hard to understand they were the same breed -

Oh well - live and learn - though, as the years pass, I seem to be forgetting at a faster rate than learning - as I said - people talk about the "golden years" but, I think there's more rust than gold in the "golden years" .

:oops:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Les Staley »

OJ which hospital in Detroit did you intern at? I worked in the carpenter shop at Henry Ford Hosp in 1969-71 .. worked on hanging doors and general repair in every dept from the delivery rooms to the morgue..(that about says it all) Glad to be away from that S#^& hole of a city..out here where we can see such a variety of wildlife.. Les

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I was born this way.
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

Les Staley wrote:OJ which hospital in Detroit did you intern at? I worked in the carpenter shop at Henry Ford Hosp in 1969-71 .. worked on hanging doors and general repair in every dept from the delivery rooms to the morgue..(that about says it all) Glad to be away from that S#^& hole of a city..out here where we can see such a variety of wildlife.. Les
It was then Wayne County General Hospital on Michigan between Inkster and Wayne - no longer exists since the feds stepped in to "improve" things. We had a 500 bed acute care hospital staffed with some 38 interns an 42 residents in specialty training - a 200 bed chronic female hospital (better than nursing home but not up to acute hospital - really just "sub-acute nursing care"), a male hospital of four wards (160 beds each + about 4500 bed in "open wards - basically a county poor farm, and some 12,000 psychiatric beds in 10 buildings - all known as ELOISE - with our own post office, police force, and fire department. The volume and quality of training was one of the best in the country - but, if you weren't in the upper third of your graduating class from med school - you could forget about getting accepted there - most people don't realize what we lost when the feds "gave" us Medicare & Medicaid. We handled all trauma - gun shot & knife wounds + auto accidents west of Wyoming Avenue (Detroit city limits) and Detroit Receiving took'em east of there.

Private hospitals were grateful and didn't have to staff for the volume of patients (and no-pays - as most knife and gun wounds were) that passed through our place - plus, we could disharge patients from our acute wards to the chronic ones - private hospitals couldn't do that because they didn't have access to medium care beds - our acute wards were 30 beds in the smaller ones and 60 beds in the larger ones with two private rooms on each of three floors

I had classmates trained at Henry Ford and they liked that program - paid better also.

Trauma (gun shots and knife wounds + some auto) amounted to about 24% of our surgery and was great training for surgery - but I sure don't miss living in the Detroit area - even though the area out west where I lived was a big step up from living in Detroit city.

I really feel sorry for residents now with their duty hour restrictions that is proving inadequate even in trainees minds - we worked hard and long hours ( every day and every other night - chief residents never off call - really not as bad as it sounds - we got adequate rest & sleep - learning to rest any time of day) but that didn't hurt us - or our patients - and provided a special level of education + experience - and, as a surgoen in private practice, I worked essentially 24/7 - taking breaks occasionally - so I was prepared. Ou program in surgery had the honor of having only one "graduate" who failed to pass the American Board of Surgery to get certified the first time he was tested over more than a decade.

:mrgreen:
Last edited by OJ on Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Anybody read about the Colorado Goat Man?

Apparantly there was a bit of a stir with people seeing a "man in a goat suit" hanging out in/near a bunch of wild goats.

After a bit of investigation by thhe fishygame cops it turns out it was a guy "practicing" his bowhunt stalking technique in preparation for a Canadian Goat Hunt...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Batman1939
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Batman1939 »

Old Ironsights wrote:Anybody read about the Colorado Goat Man?

Apparantly there was a bit of a stir with people seeing a "man in a goat suit" hanging out in/near a bunch of wild goats.

After a bit of investigation by thhe fishygame cops it turns out it was a guy "practicing" his bowhunt stalking technique in preparation for a Canadian Goat Hunt...
Yes, I read about his antics, but thought it was in Utah. Game and Fish said it was a "legal" means of hunting--but I think he'd need to be wary of goat poachers !! :roll:
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I see my post on visitors in my back yard looked sexist - all males - but, we have some females also-

And, this guy didn't understand my Mastiff puppies just wanted to play - left and never came back-

We're relaxed -

And, we share -

OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER