7mm Mauser range report

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

7mm Mauser range report

Post by Mike D. »

Here 'ya go, Jason. I have been testing different powder and bullet combos trying to dial in the little 7X57 that I bought from Joe(86er) last year. It really is a sweet little 93 that seems to thrive at it's maximum SAAMI specs of 46000 CUP.

The first load was 42.7 grs IMR 4064 under Barnes 120 grn Tipped TSX bullets. All of my brass is new PPU that has had the primer pockets uniformed and run through the RCBS sizing die. Primers are Winchester Large Rifle and Magnum in the red box. MVs of this load were 2765, 2763, 2745, 2756 and 2760 FPS. All case were clean and ejected easily. Here is the subject target.

Next was the same 120 TTSX only this time pushed by 44 grs IMR 4320. Not too bad, either. Velocities by my Apha Master Chrony registered 2795, 2818, 2779, 2781, and 2786 FPS. Again, the cases slicked right out and showed no indicators of pressure issues. Group not too bad considering that my shooting glasses are not prescription.
IMG]http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y24/old86/CIMG3442.jpg[/IMG]

The third test was a bit different in two respects. First, the bullets were Hornady's Gilded Metal Expanding lead free 139 grainers with 44 grs IMR 4320 under them. The group opened up to atrocious, but in all fairness I have been told that the powder was wrong for this bullet. IMR 4350, which I have none of, is supposed to be the cat's azz for this bullet. MVs were 2800, 2785, 2792, 2798, and 2793 FPS. This is the sad target.

Lastly, I returned to the 120 TTSX with 44 grs Varget under them. MVs read 2880, 2877, 2879, 2886, and 2887 FPS. The target demonstrates the moderate accuracy of this load.

The 7X57 is, like any other rifle, a work in progress. First on the agenda will be to buy some IMR 4350. I also have a box of 145 gr Barnes TTSXs to whack away with. To be continued... :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 7mm Mauser range report

Post by JerryB »

Looks like you got a real sweet shooting rifle in the works, a fine deer gun.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Man, that range report could be used as a teaching tool for folks who think that they have a "bad gun" because it won't shoot whatever the first load they stick in it accurately. Look how different that gun shoots with a different load...!
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I just saw that the second target failed to come up so here it is. :)

Next was the same 120 TTSX only this time pushed by 44 grs IMR 4320. Not too bad, either. Velocities by my Apha Master Chrony registered 2795, 2818, 2779, 2781, and 2786 FPS. Again, the cases slicked right out and showed no indicators of pressure issues. Group not too bad considering that my shooting glasses are not prescription.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Nice work, Mike!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

86er wrote:Nice work, Mike!
ThanKs, Joe, it is sweet little rifle. Look out mule deer come fall. Blacktails better take notice come 11 August, too. :D
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

I bet it feels just great to shoot too! Doesn't hammer the snuff outta ya etc.

Great report!!

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Cliff »

They look good, did you check the throat of the barrel and find what the lead is before the rifling. I am not sure but there some comment years back a lot the these rifles were chambered for the long round nosed jacketed bullets and had long leads. The thinking was if possible have a shorter barrel lead. Don't know if it is or was true. Good luck in your search and enjoyment.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Cliff wrote:They look good, did you check the throat of the barrel and find what the lead is before the rifling. I am not sure but there some comment years back a lot the these rifles were chambered for the long round nosed jacketed bullets and had long leads. The thinking was if possible have a shorter barrel lead. Don't know if it is or was true. Good luck in your search and enjoyment.
You are correct, Cliff. The 93/95/96 Mausers in 7X57 were chambered for the early 173 grn RNFMJ bullet but shoot the lighter ones just fine.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I dont know about IMR4350 but looove H4350.

I use to use Alliant rl15 and 19 in my 6.5x55.

Good luck, it'll clover leaf soon 8)

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Mike,

You forgot a picture of the rifle!! :D

I've had a bunch of 7x57's and they've all been good shooters.

I had good luck with IMR 4198 as well as IMR 4064. I have a cast load with Unique but I can remember the bullet/charge
weight off the top of my head. Have to be VERY careful with that one.

:D :D

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Image :D
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's sharp!! :D

What did it start out as?

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

'93 Mauser of unknown origin. No military markings remaining other than serial number 21218X and a few others. Out of Africa and marked .275 Rigby on the barrel.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

My Mauser is similar and South American, shoots the 173/174 better than the light loads. Military barrel.

I've hit a silhouette at 250m with it without much problems. No animals as of yet.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

Mike that wood looks great sir......nice rifle....

rick
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Ooooo.... that is a gorgeous looking Mauser! And a beautiful quarter-sawn oak sideboard off to the side. I have a weakness for antique quarter sawn oak furniture.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mike D. wrote:Image :D
On the left side under the front scope mount, is that a gas port? If so, it's Spanish I believe.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Yes, oval gas port. It has the flat bottom two lug bolt of the 93/95.

I added an adjustable Timney trigger. MUCH more positive than the old two stage military one.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

OK, it's a Spanish 1893 that had the Model 1916 gas port added between 1917 and 1922 and was tastefully sporterized (IMO) later on. This site would be well worth perusing: http://masterton.us/Spanmauhome

I had a Model 1916 carbine for a while which started my love affair with full stocked carbines and the 7x57. Hated to let it go, but one day I plan to replace it with either the same or a South American equivalent.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

After closer inspection the serial number is actually 2I218X. The letter "I", not a 1 after the first number.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

What a gracefull classic you have 8)

Excellent read gents as ever.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mike D. wrote:After closer inspection the serial number is actually 2I218X. The letter "I", not a 1 after the first number.
That should be a 1922 production Oviedo and probably had the gas port from the get go IIRC.

Just for giggles, how long is the barrel and does it look like it was cut down?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

After a closer look, the rifle has the markings under the front scope mount but they are not entirely visible. What I can see is "Fabri...rmas. The original military barrel is 22" and crowned.
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Had pretty good luck with H4831.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Mike D. wrote:After a closer look, the rifle has the markings under the front scope mount but they are not entirely visible. What I can see is "Fabri...rmas. The original military barrel is 22" and crowned.
Fabrica de Armas Oviedo

Originally it wore a 29" barrel but at least one importer cropped them back to 22", recrowned the muzzle and remounted the front sight.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Thankfully, there is no front sight to intrude. I agree that the barrel has likely been cut and crowned. It does have a nice bore, though. :)