Best pump shotgun

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Re: Best pump shotgun

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

getitdone1 wrote:I'm surprised that several of you like the Winchester model 1300.

I've always associated them with about the time Winchester decided to build'em cheap--around 1964.

Tell me more about this gun. I'm always open to facts. If it's lighter--I like that.

Don
My model 1300 is the deluxe XTR Upland Special Featherweight with 22" Winchoke barrel. With it's lovely grained checkered walnut stock this gun weighs in at just 6-3/8 lbs. so light for a 12 gauge and very quick on the rise, and point. My dad bought me a parkerized rifled slug barrel from Cabela's for a gift to me several years ago. This barrel with rifle sights will put 3 foster type slugs into 3 inches at 100 yards (as stated- ouch at the range, never feel it in the field). This setup with 2 barrels makes this package SO versatile, I love this gun. This gun is so smooth I can shoot it aimed fire as quick as a semi-auto.
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

I've had great luck with my Winchester shotgun.

TR

Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

I had an 870LW in 20ga. back in the 70s. For me that was the perfect shotgun! Just throw it up to your shoulder and hit what you wanted to. Unfortunately my first divorce cost me the few guns I had back then. I miss that gun yet today.
I have Mossberg 500A with a ribbed smooth bore and a slug 24" rifled barrel. I think I bought it in the 70s or 80s. Just cannot warm up to it. The fore end is too clunky and rattles so bad when carrying it in the field that it has to be heard a long way off. Also, when firing a round it seems like the fore end unlocks and slides open a few inches. That is hard for me to get used too.
So, put me down for the 870. Haven't shot the others mentioned.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
Mohillbilly
Levergunner

Post by Mohillbilly »

I got a 870 Express with a mag extention behind the front door . An M12 with 3inch chamber , and grandpaws M42 all nice guns . Which ones the best ? depends on what I'm shoot'n at , and how far I gotta carry it . Autos well I like my old Belgan Browning ( 2 3/4) and an Ithicia Mag 10 . Did I mention great unc's M37 right handy too .
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Some of the old JMB designs that came apart like the Burgess ,the mod 30,60 and earlier models

had no disconect and were strong hand forged guns!

Bob
bobbyjack
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bobbyjack »

Opps!
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Another Ithaca 37 fan here,.especially the older ones. My masochistic fetish - 16 ga, but I picked up a sleek 20 ga ca 1980s a bit ago that's a sweetheart as well. I sold a 50s 12 ga to a friend several years ago I want back, and that may happen.
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

I own a Winny 1300 and a Mossberg 500. Can't complain about either. I shot a buddies 870 and that's a dandy. I'll settle for my 500 because that's the one I bought first and use the most.
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

All three are fine shotguns. I used an issued 870 at the SO for years. When I moved to the Da's Ofice as an Invst. I felt sort of naked without a shotgun in my car and bought a Winchester 1300 Defender, which I still have. And last year I bought a model 37 Turkey Gun just because it was on sale, looked cool, and I did not have any firearms in camo(I know, I know) but it does shoot well, as did both the Remington and Winchester. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

To me the 870 is the best. The model 12 is fine for collecting, but the 870 is much easier to take apart and work on. Many of the internal parts of the Model 12 require hand fitting, not so with the 870. I've seen more Mossberg 500's with problems straight from the factory than the 870's, so I'd have to lower them on the list as well.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My first shotgun was a Mossberg 500 I got for my birthday in 1966. It was a much better gun than the Mossbergs of today. One of those I wish I still had.

FWIW Jr. just brought home a brand new 870 last week and the trigger assembly is built on a plastic frame. It's marked tactical on the side of the receiver and has the express finish. Maybe it's me but I don't think I've ever seen a gun of any kind that has plastic around the trigger that has as crisp a trigger as one mounted in metal.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Even though I sold mine a while back, I'll have to put another vote in for the Mossberg 500 (particularly the Mariner (stainless/plated) series) if for no other reason than you can buy a 50 cal Muzzleloader barrel for it. :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!