Hobie and you Other Virginians?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Hobie and you Other Virginians?

Post by Griff »

How're y'all faring after last nite's storm?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Hobie and you Other Virginians?

Post by olyinaz »

Well I'm concerned too and I hope all is well, but there's no need to call Hobie a virgin! Shoot, I think he's got grand kids!!

:D

Oly

(Seriously, I hope all is well.)
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I dunno what it did in Hobieville (Staunton) but I live about 60-70 miles from him and the winds howled thru here last night in the 10-11 PM time frame . Got calls from a couple friends asking if we had power which we do . Seems alot folks in Orange and Madison County are without power . Around 10 PM my power went off 3 times but never more then a couple minutes at a time . And after maybe 10:20 we had power again with no more problems !

We never lost Directv except when we lost power , typically with a thunderstorm around here the satellite reception sucks . Not last night however .
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Just now able to access the internet. Was in the Berkshires since Wednesday and didn't get home until Sat. night at 8:30 or so. Had to drive around the block and move some traffic cones to get to the house. The house is fine, the shed is fine, 4 or 5 of the trees (can't remember the count) are topped and the tops landed in the backyard. Will have video. One big limb hit the wife's car. Really upset her. Otherwise mostly just a mess. No power. No idea when we'll get power. Hotter n' heck. Wife TRIED to sleep in the truck. Of course there are no generators or hotel rooms to be had. One has to go at least 2 hours away for a hotel room, further for generators. The trees and generator (and hook up to house) were on "the list". BUT, the house is fine and we're fine. We have water and gas (meaning hot water for showers). Life is good. I'm typing this at "work" in Verona, VA. Wife is finally sleeping in the AC.

I hope all the rest of you are ok.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

What a mess, glad everyone is ok.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

I got full power back at 10:10 last night, northern Frederick County. We had limited power, well below 110 though even that was off a couple of times. No air or hot water, refrigerator and freezer wouldn't run. Incandescent bulbs were brown, interestingly the CFL bulbs were at (or nearly so) full brightness. I could run the computer and I have a avacado colored Western Electric wall phone from the 70s in the cellar so we had a phone. Fortunatly the storm took the temperature down to 68 so we slept well but I was outside Sunday when the temp was back up working on cars all day and I did miss the AC when I wanted to take a break. It looks like at least a full day's work cleaning up the downed limbs and burning them. The Liberty station which is the only civilization for miles runs on a generator so we could get gas for our generator but they were sold out of almost everything to eat. Altogether it was just an inconvenient time for us, we have had worse here on the mountain.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Still without power. Now Kindling it... Hard to type or approve new members. Cut and stacked all the limbs in the drive and parking area. Have to do yard next.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Was without power for 48 hours, one of about 2.5M Virginians (of approximately 5.2M over several states). Lost about half the food in the freezer since ice was difficult to find (cooked up what meat we could, but other prepacked items didn't fare so well). Everyone slept in the basement to combat the heat. Power was restored last night about 8pm, but officials are saying it could take up to a week for everyone to get power back.
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

So relieved to hear of your close scrape with the weather. What a blessing your house and health were ok.

Barb and I watched the footage of the wildfires. How sad to see someone's home reduced to absolutely nothing but ashes!

We are praying for you guys.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Glad everyone is OK!!

I may need to get the generator off my "list" and done...the more I think about it...

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

It is one of the first next things I hope to do. Insurance...
Sincerely,

Hobie

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:? Hobie is a Virgin? :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

I live down in the back side of Chesapeake, we had straight line winds clocked at 94mph , looks like a hurricane came through, kept power but lost trees and what not
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

BlaineG wrote::? Hobie is a Virgin? :?

When I got seperated from my first wife I used that as a line in the bars around our town !

I'd tell the other girls I knew that we seperated because I wouldn't give it up !

You wouldn't believe how many times that line worked :lol:

It wasn't until i realized I'd used that line more then twice on a couple girls and they still shall we say went along :shock:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I got power back at 4:12 PM today. I'm happy to have the dehumidifier running in the basement and the wife is happy to have the AC....
Sincerely,

Hobie

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

We've been sittin' pretty, here in Southern New England - just some fast-moving, "pop-up", thunder/lightning/rainstorms - power never as much as flickered.

It seems everybody & their brother's been shooting off skyrockets & other fireworks as soon as the rain passes & the sun sets, enough to make my dog nervous - and he's even used to gunfire, since I've always taken him to the range with me since he was a 3 month old pup.

I been praying you folks in the Mid-Atlantic states, and under the firestorms out West, will pull through with life & limb, if not whollly untouched.

It's been good to see you check in............. 8)

J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

We lost power friday night at 11.30, power came back on at 8.30 pm tonight.

12 years ago when we bought this property in Eastern VA, the man from Dominion power came out to talk about running power to the home sight, the very first words out of his mouth were "you are going to need a generator" boy was he right.

It seems like every time it blows a little we loose power, to many tree's.

Right at 63 days total we have had to use the generator in the past 12 years. Two 11 day stretches, it get's old.

After Isabelle I seen one 12 mile stretch of power line where not a single whole power pole was left standing.

I had a place in S AZ for fourty years and lost power once for 30 min. .

Have fun-- J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

thanks for the "video", in allot of ways you were lucky, although that's easy for me to say...just glad you and your wife are ok... :)