Which would you rather have?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Which would you rather have?

Post by pharmseller »

So here's the question:

My son (11 years old) has, for his exclusive use, a Marlin Mountie made in 1955. The Marlin has a Williams peep and is in excellent condition. Butter smooth and very accurate.

I have a Browning A Bolt, also in .22, with a Leupold scope.

My son thinks he got the short end of the stick, despite his ability to shoot bread-sized rocks at up to 175 yards with the Marlin, offhand. He thinks he would do better with the scoped Browning.

As experienced shooters, which gun would you rather have? My son will be reading your responses.

Thanks,

P
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which would you rather have?

Post by jeepnik »

Scope the Mountie. That should make him happy.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Marlin/Peep - until my eyes are too old and I have to use a scope.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

For just the Gun, the Mountie. I don't care for a Bolt 22 although I have several. It almost sounds like You would rather have the Bolt or there wouldn't be a squabble. :wink: when I read "a piece of bread" I thot well who couldn't hit that but then at 175 yds I doubt I could even see it.
Perry
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Oh my gosh! The scope is just an unnecessary lump for a fellow with eyes like that. And the A-bolt doesn't even have a decent lever on it.

No contest here: the Mountie by far.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
buckeyeshooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by buckeyeshooter »

Mountie. The Marlin 39 is in my opinion the finest .22 ever made. Yes, there are some that may-- I say may, shoot smaller groups. But it handles great, looks great and has been in production a long, long time!
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

What's a Browning A Bolt and scope :?:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Clearly the combination is working for him!

If he's shooting that well, the scope and bolt
will ony be different - not necessarily an improvement.

He should also consider that not all rifles are made the
same. Even those from the same factory and year can
be different. A Mountie from that era was doubtless
made to higher standards than they are today. And it's broken
in, and it's smooth, and it shoots like a house afire. Whether or
not he realizes it, he's got a good one. Hang onto it!

-Stretch
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

for me, the Mountie.
For your son- he's going through a phase, let him shoot what he wants. :mrgreen:
But don't scope the Mountie.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Give him both. I love looking through scopes. Peeps look "CLUNKY". Like watching a movie through a key hole.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

I would most definitely go the Mountie. I have a 39A with the barrel shortened to 18" and it will put 5 shots into 0.4" all day long with my old eyes and a cheap scope. I'd love to know what it would do with a good scope in the hands of a good shooter. My local lever action rifle club has a 1959, 39A and on the odd occasion when I have shot it it has proven to be capable of shooting A grade scores with any cheap ammo you chuck into it, and that gun has had who knows how many 100,000s of rounds through it. I've never shot an A-bolt but I bet it wouldn't be any better than the Mountie in accuracy, fit and finish, or the way it feels in your hands.
If he feels he got the rough end of the pineapple why not swap, and see if he still feels the same way after giving the A-bolt a fair trial.
If the scope is the issue for him, why not scope the Mountie?
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

As an experienced shooter I prefer the Marlin that I have. My all time favorite rifle.

This is why your son should have BOTH. Because he is not yet an "experienced" shooter. By using the bolt gun he will learn the manual of arms for one of the most common rifle actions. He will learn to shoot with a scope, and that will improve his open sight shooting. And the trigger time will help cement the eye-hand muscle memory, making him a better all-round marksman. He will learn something about inherent accuracy.

If it were me, I would extract a promise that the Mountie never leaves your DNA pool, because it is that special. Bolt guns are a thousand dimes per dozen, or something like that.

Grizz
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

both! :wink: but I would grab the Mountie first!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Scopes are for old, aging, eyes and silhouette shooters. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Mountie, of course!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

The Mountie :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I'd keep the Mountie, but then, I'm older now, and have come to my senses. ;)

Give him the Browning too, but only if he agrees to pay for it. Then he can shoot what he wants.

It's about time for him to move up, anyway - AND GET A JOB to pay for his own shootin' irons ! !

With my son (now 46), it was motorcycles - when he wanted one (at age 12), I said "OK". ( I sucked him right in)
After we went to look at some, and he found one he wanted, I told him he's have to pay for his own.
He went out & got/worked 3 part-time jobs at the same time to get first a dirt bike, then later an Olds 4-4-2 (then multiple cars/bikes, etc - all on his own dime).

I've always liked what some incentive can do to someone.

Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

The Mountie is way cool. It is also shorter and lighter than the A bolt. I won't even mention the shiny finish on the A bolt. You don't need a scope if you have a peep for 22 range.
pneuby
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pneuby »

WOW! I'd certainly rather have 12-15rds on-tap than having to reload a 5rd mag over and over. Plus, the sheer joy and balance of that Mountie. The lever is the superior plinker, for sure.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

The dumbest thing I ever did as a kid was trade off my wonderful, fifties Mountie for a Remington Bolt, because, as everyone knows, bolts are more accurate :oops: :oops: :oops:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

I'd give him the browning.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

I can't even SEE 175 yards without my glasses, so I'd go with the scope, but I'd certainly let him shoot the Browning to remove the mystery. I had a Model 39, and I know I'm in the minority, but didn't care much it...
I went back to my old Marlin Glenfield bolt action for squirrels...it's now the only .22 rifle I own...It is a tack driver.

Give him the Browning and keep the Marlin yourself.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

I would keep them both for myself and let him find his own. :lol:

Honestly I would want the Mounty, my first 22 was a bolt action (Which I bought myself with money I got mugging the paper boy) I was acurate enough but did not have the fun factor of the lever 22 that my buddy Pat had(I think it was a Marlin but can't remember) I tried to talk him into trading a bunch of times but he wouldn't.(Too bad I didn't live dwon the street from Blaine) :twisted:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

The Mountie!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Marlin32
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marlin32 »

Marlin. Learned to shoot on a 39A, been using levers ever since. I own one bolt action.
I Sako Forester in 243, bought it from a guy(more like stole it, one of my better deals) when I was about 16, Dad and I both had deer permits that year, so I needed a gun, this one available. Only year I used it, the next year, bought a Marlin 357mag for deer.

Need to learn to shoot open sights as a youngster, I still would in the timber, but now my eyes, (used to puzzle me why people used scopes for deer, good grief, if you couldn't hit a deer with open sights, shouldn't be shooting guns, but alas, years later I found out why, eyes age!!!!!)
Jayhawker
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Jayhawker »

Give him the Browning and save the Mountie until he grows up. When he's mature enough, he'll appreciate the difference.
Well done is better than well said.
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

What jay hawker said
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

If your son didn't buy the rifle, then in no case can he consider that he got the short end of any stick. Not sure how far he wants to shoot a 22 lr. 175 yards seems far enough. :D For my taste, the Mountie wins hands down as does the son who has a father that has gifted him such a fine life time firearm.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
BobSki
Levergunner

Post by BobSki »

rjohns94 wrote:If your son didn't buy the rifle, then in no case can he consider that he got the short end of any stick. Not sure how far he wants to shoot a 22 lr. 175 yards seems far enough. :D For my taste, the Mountie wins hands down as does the son who has a father that has gifted him such a fine life time firearm.
Now THAT is the most honest and decent reply you could ever get. Your lad is very lucky to have a dad that gifts him a firearm of any description. If I were him, I would be grateful for being given any end of the stick. I would say shoot, enjoy and appreciate the gun your dad gave you while saving up for another that you could ADD to (not replace) your original gun.

My father is 88yrs old and in poor health. I now know that things he did for me as a youngster are precious and my attitudes at my younger age didn't show enough appreciation for it.

When your lad is in my position and close to loosing his father, he will bitterly regret not still having that first gun his dad gave him and he will bitterly regret not showing full appreciation to his dad for the things he did.

To your son I would say; Enjoy your rifle, it is a fine rifle, it is a rifle that many young men would give their right arm to own. More than anything, it is the first rifle your Dad gave you. That makes it more precious than anything you will ever buy over the counter, it makes it priceless and irreplaceable. When you no longer have your Dad (and there WILL come a time when you won't) you hopefully will still have that precious gift he gave you and a heap of great memories shooting together.

All the best to you both
Bob
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Young Man, some times We just need to Listen to our Parents and Elders even if at the time it doesn't seem very Cool or make sense. the Marlin is a Fine,Classic .22 AMERICAN MADE rifle.keep it, shoot it, and as You get older I bet You Will be glad that You have it.
L_Kilkenny
Senior Levergunner

Post by L_Kilkenny »

For the youngin: Bolt action rimfires are boring as all get out. You want something you can scope save some coin and get a 10/22.

For Pharmseller: He wants the bolt gun, trade him back quick. Then rub in his nose in it till the day you drop (hopefully many many moons from now) and then will it to someone else.

LK
Last edited by L_Kilkenny on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shooter
Senior Levergunner

Post by shooter »

I'd keep the Mountie.

With that being said, I have a similar story. When I was 14 I had to have what I thought was the biggest, baddest, perfect "all around" cartridge. I wanted a .300 Win Mag. to replace my suitable hunting rifle. I wanted a "man" gun. My dad said "ok, but it's on your dime". I paid for it, and soon found out that I would pay for it over and over again at the bench. That gun beat me to death on the bench. I soon wised up, sold it, and got something more sensible. Nothing wrong with a .300 Mag, or a .22 bolt for that matter, but sometimes kids have to learn the hard way. I think he'll get bored with that bolt action real fast. He'll eventually learn that sometimes dad really does know what's best.
‎"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen" - Samuel Adams
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

For me it's the Mountie all the way. For your son, which ever keeps him shooting.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Trade him. Keep the Mountie for yourself. He can have it when you croak. In all the "if you could keep just one" threads you'll see I listed the one as my '53 Mountie.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I would rather have the Marlin, especially if I could consistently hit a piece of bread at 175 yards. But, I think when I was his age, I would have rather had the scoped bolt action. It sounds as if he is at no disadvantage, shooting like that with the Marlin though.
NRA Life Member
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

A-Bolt with a 3 year option to trade
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31