H&R Buffalo Classic question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

H&R Buffalo Classic question

Post by awp101 »

I see these come with Lyman front and Williams rear sights but are they tapped for glass as well?

I'd probably never use a scope more than once or twice on it but the option would be nice.

You never know when you'll need to thin out one of those zombie buffalo herds... :lol:

Thanks! :D
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'm not sure but if you don't get an answer here you might go to ggraybeard's outdoor's forums and ask there. They have a whole section devoted just to Handi Rifles.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

i have the shorter h&r and it is tapped for glass and it now wears a williams rear sight. i love it.
Scoutmaster
Levergunner

Post by Scoutmaster »

Yes, the Buffalo Classic is tapped for a scope mount.
Don
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks!

I know it's not some new fangled whiz bang caliber, but do you think it'll take a hog?Image
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Scott Young
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott Young »

you have to be really close!! those old calibers just don't retain the punch in their old age. that is why they made the barrel so long. if the bullet doesn't put them down you can club it to death.

"just be careful those hogs have armor plated shields that the requires at least a 500 grain bullet to penetrate. anything less the bullets will bounce off. i have a reliable source. a guy i met in the gun store said his brother's friend's cousin who is married to his fourth aunts step daughter works with a guy who's grand father was the son of the man who designed the 45-70, said on his last hunt they shot a hogzilla and all the bullets they shot into the shields either bounced off or only penetrated a 1/4 inch from a range of about 50 yds."

"one last note. don't shoot the factory ammo. it is intended to be shot out of older 45-70s which have looser bores. the newer rifles require the +p ammo so the bullets won't get stuck in the barrel. i hand load mine so i don't ever have a problem i use 70 grains of the hottest smokeless i can find. here look at my shoulder......"

(note: these last two paragraphs are actual conversations at the new granger mtn where i live. i couldn't believe my ears that these people are serious.)
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

Scott, it sounds like they were seriously challenged.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Scott Young wrote:you have to be really close!! those old calibers just don't retain the punch in their old age. that is why they made the barrel so long. if the bullet doesn't put them down you can club it to death.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Young wrote:"just be careful those hogs have armor plated shields that the requires at least a 500 grain bullet to penetrate. anything less the bullets will bounce off. i have a reliable source. a guy i met in the gun store said his brother's friend's cousin who is married to his fourth aunts step daughter works with a guy who's grand father was the son of the man who designed the 45-70, said on his last hunt they shot a hogzilla and all the bullets they shot into the shields either bounced off or only penetrated a 1/4 inch from a range of about 50 yds."

"one last note. don't shoot the factory ammo. it is intended to be shot out of older 45-70s which have looser bores. the newer rifles require the +p ammo so the bullets won't get stuck in the barrel. i hand load mine so i don't ever have a problem i use 70 grains of the hottest smokeless i can find. here look at my shoulder......"

(note: these last two paragraphs are actual conversations at the new granger mtn where i live. i couldn't believe my ears that these people are serious.)
I believe it just based on some of the "educational lectures" I hear at shows and shops around here... :roll:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

The Buffalo Classic is set up to take a scope mount by removing the rear sight. Be prepared to dink with iron sights anyway, as for some reason H&R put a too tall front sight on them, and when you run out of elevation adjustment on that Williams, you'll still be 6" low at 100 yds!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Bis
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bis »

The BC classic is set up for a scope , at least my target model is, but you need to get mounting rail from H&R. They are not to expensive.
when your enemy is within range so are you
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

marlinman93 wrote:The Buffalo Classic is set up to take a scope mount by removing the rear sight. Be prepared to dink with iron sights anyway, as for some reason H&R put a too tall front sight on them, and when you run out of elevation adjustment on that Williams, you'll still be 6" low at 100 yds!
:?:

The one I'm looking at comes with a Lyman front and 8 inserts IIRC. Are you saying the globe is too high ot the inserts are wrong? :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

awp
He's half right. SOME have come with too tall of front sight, not all. Mine came with the correct setup as do many others. Once in a while one slips through with the wrong one on. All you need to do is contact H&R if that becomes the case.

Besides, IIRC one of those inserts is a post. All you need to do is shorten that post a hair if you want to shoot as is. Like I said, about 75% of the time they are correct, but if not H&R will send the correct one.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

handirifle wrote:Besides, IIRC one of those inserts is a post. All you need to do is shorten that post a hair if you want to shoot as is.
That's what I was thinking.

On the too tall front sight, is the globe too tall (which is why I'd have to call H&R) or the insert?

Just planning ahead. If there's a 1% chance of getting an "off" one...well, let's just say Mr Murphy stays with me so much I'm thinking of charging the daft bugger rent. :?
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Shortening the post is a poor fix. It makes the post too low inside the globe, which messes up your sight picture without the post being centered.
Yes, the globe is too high of a base.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Aha! Thanks!
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
handirifle
Senior Levergunner

Post by handirifle »

marlinman93 wrote:Shortening the post is a poor fix.
It was never suggested to be a permanate fix, just something to get him shooting. It's not a "poor" fix, just a temporary one, till he got the new sight. The "globe" is part of the whole front sight.