Shotgun choke vs barrel length question

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Shotgun choke vs barrel length question

Post by awp101 »

Does the length of the barrel affect how effective a choke is?

I can see where velocity might change the effectiveness and that is partly tied to barrel length, but beyond that I have no idea.

Thoughts?

Thanks! :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Hobie

Re: Shotgun choke vs barrel length question

Post by Hobie »

No. Choke is the difference/constriction of the choke part relative to the nominal bore diameter. However, HOW the shot is loaded is also important. With today's different buffers and plastic wads a number of variables have been created that throw the old rules of thumb clean out the window. One must pattern the load in which one has interest in the particular choked barrel to know how it will pattern. With jug chokes one effectively creates a new nominal bore diameter and then constricts relative to that portion of the bore.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Was always told as a rule of thumb with smokeless powders the shotgun with shot obtains it's max velocity (in a choked bore)by 20"
Like Hobie said,it is the choke that determines it's pattern and of course the load.Also each shotgun seems to pattern quite different and even different when two of the same models/barrels/chokes/ammo are used?????????? (meaning pattern each gun/don't assume)

That is why many shooters now a days(for hunting/shooting)like the balance of a 22" in a pump/semi gun and 26" in a break gun whatever choke they use. Course 18.5" for HD no matter what action.

However with slugs such as lets say a Brenneke with same gun/barrel type (20" vs 24")---??????????????????
Last edited by madman4570 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Thanks, that also matches up with what I'm reading via my friend Mr Google. :mrgreen:

I'm getting the urge to get back into skeet again but I want to use my 20" 870. I was looking at an additional barrel versus having this one threaded for chokes. It looks like I can have the threading done for around $100 but if a shorter barrel would be a hindrance from a choke standpoint (sight radius not withstanding) I'll probably go with the extra barrel.
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

I can tell you without doubt (for skeet)with a pump gun.
A 20" barrel cylinder bored and undersized to .705 (for 12 ga) is about perfect for at least myself(even the sighting is quite good)

Reason I say this is I beat a lot of guys at the club(with their expensive skeet guns :lol: )with my 20" Ithaca Deerslayer(20" non-rifled slug barrel)

I imagine a smooth bore 20" Remington 870 slug barrel will do the same???
Heck and the front sight I even like that???????

Get a gently used barrel(like that)for about $75 and leave other barrel alone! :wink:

And after skeet,you have a HD gun/or throw some Brennekes in it and kill a grizzly. :D
Great skeet/upland/big game/HD in one pkg(can't beat that)
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

The photo shows an 18.5" Remington 870P RS barrel that was converted to use removable Rem-Choke tubes. It throws shot no differently than a longer barrel using the same tubes, but other factors (balance, "sight picture," etc) make it hard for some people to use.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Ohhh, me likey! :mrgreen:

According to Briley's info HERE a skeet choke only gets me another 2.5 yds of distance, give or take. I'm not sure that's enough to make a difference in my case.

Our club also has shotgun games on certain Saturdays involving a mix of steel and clay targets. Since it's held on the 25 yd range, again I'm not real sure the justification is there.

When I was shooting skeet every weekend or so, I started with a Rem Sportsman 58 that had a modified choke IIRC. I moved to a Rem-Choked 870, bought a skeet choke and saw my scores go up. Probably as much due to the extra shooting I was doing as much as the choke itself. When I moved to a Fausti O/U my scores dropped. I think it was choked tighter and just didn't feel as good as the 870 when it came to actual range use.

With that in the back of my head, I want to stick with an 870 this time.

Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to run slugs on occasion what would be the smallest choke that would be advisable? I know the choke won't help a slug but the wrong one in the barrel sure could turn it into a shorter barrel quick, fast and in a hurry... :shock:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
retmech
Levergunner 2.0

Post by retmech »

If your 870 is a slug barrel I'm pretty sure they were imp cyl choke which is just a bit tighter than Skeet 1 and the same as Skeet 2 choke in 12 ga. I'd save my money and shoot it as it is. Buy some shells and practice, that will get you more birds than the screw choke will.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

awp101 wrote:Ohhh, me likey! :mrgreen:

According to Briley's info HERE a skeet choke only gets me another 2.5 yds of distance, give or take. I'm not sure that's enough to make a difference in my case.

Our club also has shotgun games on certain Saturdays involving a mix of steel and clay targets. Since it's held on the 25 yd range, again I'm not real sure the justification is there.

When I was shooting skeet every weekend or so, I started with a Rem Sportsman 58 that had a modified choke IIRC. I moved to a Rem-Choked 870, bought a skeet choke and saw my scores go up. Probably as much due to the extra shooting I was doing as much as the choke itself. When I moved to a Fausti O/U my scores dropped. I think it was choked tighter and just didn't feel as good as the 870 when it came to actual range use.

With that in the back of my head, I want to stick with an 870 this time.

Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to run slugs on occasion what would be the smallest choke that would be advisable? I know the choke won't help a slug but the wrong one in the barrel sure could turn it into a shorter barrel quick, fast and in a hurry... :shock:
Answer would be "all depends on the slug being used"
Big difference between say a Ribbed Foster type slug and a Sabot

I have shot a lot of Brennekes out of my Winchester M37 with a modified choke.(those ribs on the slug provide the needed give)as I also know guys who shoot them out of Full choked guns.(I tend to favor cylinder bore/Improved cylinder)for those type slugs.
The Sabots not much wriggle room----either a rifled choke/rifled barrel is about it.Otherwise I don't like the idea of that much slop having a sabot bouncing all over the inside of ones barrel.I know they are encased within a wad but still,even if it doesn't hurt the barrel the accuracy is dirt poor so whats the sense.

Bottom line----for a smooth bore barrel(shooting non-rifled slugs)I say the Improved Cylinder is the way to go.(and a nice short barrel at that)I know some rifle sights bother some people(like one shown above)but at least with the Raybar(orange)sight on the Ithaca for at least me---its fine.(also you can always change that sight option)pretty easy.

Try one of these for yourself shooting some skeet--------------

http://www.cabelas.com/sights-truglo-re ... ts-2.shtml
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

awp101 wrote:Just out of curiosity, if I wanted to run slugs on occasion what would be the smallest choke that would be advisable? I know the choke won't help a slug but the wrong one in the barrel sure could turn it into a shorter barrel quick, fast and in a hurry... :shock:
Most of the time I leave the modified tube in the RemChoke barrel because it will work well enough with with most anything in a pinch, but if I was to make a habit out of shooting slugs, I'd leave the IC tube in there. I saw a lot of Foster type slugs fired through full chokes by friends (using their dads' guns) back in the day, but the older I get the less I want to be around when it is done.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

retmech wrote:Buy some shells and practice, that will get you more birds than the screw choke will.
I'm really starting to think along those same lines, especially after reading what Briley had to say. This is a cyl choke 870 Express so it'll just "bark" a little more and the 20" tube is just as handy as the carbine length rifles I am so fond of. :mrgreen:
deafrn wrote:I saw a lot of Foster type slugs fired through full chokes by friends (using their dads' guns) back in the day, but the older I get the less I want to be around when it is done.
I hear you. My sense of adventure has never been very great and I find it diminishing rapidly as I get older/"grow up"... :lol:
-Mark Twain

Jones for that
Just ain't where it's at
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have an 870 that has a 26" Skeet barrel on it. I do almost as well with my 20" and 26" side by sides with IC and Mod chokes as I do with the Skeet barrel. I don't get the nice "dust balls" when you break right; AND, I don't get the funny looks! :P The Skeet barrel with its twin beads is a big plus as you learn just how much barrel you want to see.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!