NRA Politics (What to do, fixes, rants, information, etc...)

Post all political posts here.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
The rules are simple...
- no advocation of violence to anyone
- no cursing

Violation of the rules will result in deletion of the topic.

Are you a voting member of the NRA and did you vote this year?

I am a voting member and I did vote.
52%
I am a voting member but did NOT vote.
15%
I am not a voting member.
15%
I am not a member of the NRA.
18%

Total votes: 61
Hobie

NRA Politics (What to do, fixes, rants, information, etc...)

Post by Hobie »

I have definite opinions about NRA politics. I'd like to discuss this in depth.

If you did vote, what was your criteria of selection? Did you know the various candidates or did you place your faith in the descriptions published by the nominating committee (and provided by the candidates)? Did you vote for a full slate of 26 or did you limit your votes to those you truly wanted to serve? Did you write-in any candidate?

If you didn't vote, why not? My wife moved my ballot, I was deployed and didn't get the ballot, or what? I'm wondering if many don't vote due to their disgust with the nominations and how they're presented.

If you're not a member, why not? Go ahead and vent. While I believe that you can't make changes if you don't work towards that end I want to hear the reasons. I know lots of people just don't have the money budgeted for membership.

For everyone... What do you want or expect the NRA to do? What is it the NRA does do that you don't like? Why?
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Doc Hudson
Member Emeritus

Re: NRA Politics

Post by Doc Hudson »

Hobie,

IIRC, I cast but five votes, one for you, one for James Winters, one for Trf Nugent, and i don't remember the other two. This is the first time in a couple of years that I've bothered voting, but I generally write in at least one or two candidates not on the official nominee list.

I findint amazing and disapointing that the NRA has fewer than 1/20 of the nations gunowners as members. I mean what is a measly 4 Million members compared to over 80 Million gunowners. When are those people going to wake up and see the light?

Sure the NRA does stuff I don't much like, makes too many compromises and such. But when it comes o the great gun control controversy, folks should realize the NRA is the 900 pound gorilla on the side of the good guys. Sure the GOA, and the CCRKBA are great organizations and do great work, in fact I am politically closer to their opinions than I am to the NRA, but politics is a numbers game, and the NRA is more than four times larger than any other pro-gun group. When the NRA talks, even the media listens, even if they don't pay heed.

If folks are mad about NRA policies, i don't blame them. But they won't change those policies by pulling a George H.W. Bush trick and resign their membership in a snit. If you want to make changes in the NRA, the place to do it is from within.

How can we, the grassroot strength of the Pro-Gun movement make changes in the NRA? I ain't that hard, treat the NRA the same way we would any other politician or political group. Flood them with letters, call them so often the office staff come to dread the sound of your voice. If you are a member they must listen. if you aren not a member, they can and ill toss your letters in the trash and can hangup on you with impunity.

I won't say the NRA is our only hope for final victory. I won't even say it is our greatest hope for victory. But I will say that it is the best we have and we will not win without the NRA.

So if you don't belong to the NRA -JOIN!

If you aer a voting member of the NRA - Write and Call often, and above all Vote Barett Parslow and James Winters for the NRA Board of Directors 2011!
Doc Hudson, OOF, IOFA, CSA, F&AM, SCV, NRA LIFE MEMBER, IDJRS #002, IDCT, King of Typoists

Amici familia ab lectio est

Image Image
UNITE!
Hobie

Re: NRA Politics

Post by Hobie »

Doc,

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I hope you'll watch the topic.

I noticed at the annual meeting that the NRA leadership (hereafter shortened to just "NRA") was seeming to position the organization as some sort of established base or conduit for the energy of the TEA party folks. An attempt to maintain relevancy? I don't know.

I voted for 5 people including myself and Jay. I think it is interesting that of 80 million gun owners (and let's face it, a bunch of them are only gun owners because they inherited a firearm) only 4 million are NRA members and of those 4-million only a percentage stay members 5 consecutive years to be eligible to vote and of the eligible voters only about 80,000 votes are cast. That's 1-thousandth of 1% of all gun owners (if I didn't screw up the math).
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hobie

Re: NRA Politics (What to do, fixes, rants, etc...)

Post by Hobie »

Somebody asked me for a roster of the NRA Board. Funny, but I can't find a complete roster on-line. I wonder why. I do have a list from my copy of the 2009 Annual Report followed by office (where applicable) and term ending date (where known). I have omitted their titles. I noted that police officers were listed in the same way that the military officers were listed and shown as retired. I believe this is to give them gravitas but I don't like it and so left off ALL titles.

Joe M. Allbaugh
William H. "Bill" Allen
Thomas P. Arvas
Scott L. Bach (2012)
William A. Bachenberg (2012)
F. E. "Buster" Bachhuber, Jr.
M. Carol Bambery
Bob Barr
Ronnie G. Barrett (2012)
Clel Baudler
David E. Bennett III
J. Kenneth Blackwell
Dan Boren
Robert K. Brown (2012)
John Burtt (2012)
David Butz
J. William Carter
Richard Childress (2010)
Patricia A. Clark
Allan D. Cors
Charles L. Cotton
David G. Coy
Larry E. Craig
John L. Cusman
William H. Dailey
James W. Dark
Joseph P. DeBergalis, Jr. (2012)
Manuel Fernandez (2012)
Joel Friedman
Sandra S. Froman
Tom Gaines (2012)
James S. Gilmore III
Marion P. Hammer
Leo A. Holt
Stephen D. Hornady (2012)
Susan Howard
Roy Innis
H. Joaquin Jackson
Curtis S. Jenkins
D. Cynthia Julien (2012)
Tom King
David A. Keene (1st Vice President) (2012)
Herbert A. Lanford, Jr. (2012)
Karl A. Malone
Carolyn Dodgen Meadows (2012)
John F. Milius (2012)
Bill Miller (2012)
Owen P. "Buzz" Mills (2012)
Cleta Mitchell
Grover G. Norquist (2012)
Oliver L. North
Johnny Nugent
Ted Nugent
Lance Olson
Timothy W. Pawol
Peter J. "Jay" Printz
Todd J. Rathner
Edie P. Fleeman Reynolds (2012)
Carl T. Rowan, Jr.
Wayne Anthony Ross (2012)
Don Saba (2012)
Robert E. Sanders
Ronald L. Schmeits (President) (2012)
Harold W. "Budd" Schroeder
Tom Selleck
John C. Sigler (2012)
Dwight D. Van Horn
Robert L. Viden, Jr. (2012)
Harold L. Volkmer
Howard J. "Walt" Walter
J. D. Williams (2012)
Dennis L. Willing
Robert J. Wos (2012)
Donald E. Young

These people were elected in 2009! No 2010 list was seen by me but of those on the ballot we do know who WASN'T elected. Those were:

Don Diabiasio (was on list for election as 76th board member but appears in roster...?)
Caroll B. Hallett
L. Kenneth Hanson III
Leo A. Holt (was on list for election as 76th board member but appears in roster...?)
Marion Townsend
Steven C. Schreiner (for whom I voted as the 76th board member)

Officers are (although they may or may not be listed above):
President, Ronald L. Schmeits
1st Vice President, David A. Keene
2nd Vice President, James W. Porter II
Executive Vice President, Wayne LaPierre
Secretary, Edward J. Land, Jr.
Treasurer, Wilson H. Phillips, Jr.
Executive Director General Operations, Kayne B. Robinson
Executive Director, Institute for Legislative Action, Christopher W. Cox

This is the most complete and up-to-date list on the internet that I know of.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Re: NRA Politics (What to do, fixes, rants, information, etc...)

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Is there anyone here who has had a particularly good or bad experience with an NRA staffer, field rep, etc?
Sincerely,

Hobie

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

I don't vote, I've drifted in and out of membership over the years, and when I was qualified to vote I didn't.

too many chiefs and
not enough indians

It may be that the entire organization is tuned to turn men off. And the tiny percentage you calculated may be the only ones who can stomach that. IOW they belong and/or participate in spite of the organization.

Grizz
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

Been a life member since I was a wee teen.
I've lost touch with a few directors I did know, they didn't impress me anyhow.
Response with other directors has been poor.
Lots of things I don't agree with.
I'm unhappy with the associate member program (organizations), it's worthless. I've suggested and oh that's great idea and there's never another response.
It's a place to be counted but otherwise I've mostly given up.
Oh and all the begathons it gets old.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Honestly,
Biggest rant I have is when a membership is within a couple of months from expiring (example: wifes/daughter)they call every blasted night and let the dial tone be recorded on the answering machine until it turns off.(no voices from them etc.)
Now the wife/daughter gets so mad they get turned off from re-uping. :roll:

I know they lose a ton of members re-uping because of this dumb trick. They need a better way!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Frankly, my main criteria was to vote AGAINST the current crop who continue to support the Vichy & his PR Appeasers ... you know, the ones who keep making sure that we are only backsliding a little more slowly - i.e. working WITH the Goob & Anties to keep the frog from jumping out of the boil...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I've been trying to update my list of the board members with links to biographical data. I've found that this is harder than it should be.

I think it is in the interest of the NRA to have this information available on-line but it is impossible to find. It is as if the NRA is hiding the information. With all the celebrities on the board, I would think it would be to the organization's advantage. Indeed, most advocacy groups seek out celebrities in order to publicize their views.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If anyone else wants to give me a lead on some of the NRA board members without links I'd be appreciative.
Sincerely,

Hobie

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,

I'm working on my second year in a row now and am going to try like mad to keep my membership current. So in three years I might get to vote. That is "IF" we still have any reason (guns) to vote in three years.
I'm not in the NRA for their politics. From my layman's point of view they are a group of snobby elitists that are more interested in the power and money they can put in their pockets than our guns.
My reason for being in the NRA is educational, range info, matches and that sort of thing.
As a political action group they flat out STINK. The couple two or three real people who would fight for the common mans guns are more than hamstrung by the elitists in control.
Like I said, hopefully in three years I'll be able to vote.

As for the NRA's web site, I find it impossible to navigate. Most of the info I get from it comes from sombody else sending me the links. I've never been able to find them myself.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe,

I've had the same problems with the NRA sites (all of them). I don't know who does their pages but it is hard as heck to find some things (such as the important Board membership list). The easiest thing to find is the enrollment page. *sigh*

As to the NRA being ineffective... Well, I've said before that they've been a pain here in the state of VA for VA stuff but I do think that they've been effective on a national level and the Brady bunch actually does see them as effective. I just wish they wouldn't be quite so quick to compromise.
Sincerely,

Hobie

brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I've paid dues and been an annual member for 25 years at least. Earlier this spring, well after I had turned 65, I upgraded to Life, and they did credit me for 5 years paid ahead, which I thought was ok.

I have never been against high salaries, if the employee does superb work, and gets things done better than others. LaPierre, being the big chief, should be a lot better known in this world than he is, as I see it. For his salary, why can't we see our fearless leader more on TV?, being interviewed, being sought out because of the message he and NRA have? Why isn't the work he does every week----of a magnitude that it would attract some of those 80 million gun owners?that we might just have 8 or 10 million new members in our ranks, that would have finally sought us out and wanted to join ? I simply don't see anything much at all that the NRA leadersip does well, except ask it's members for more money every month or so. That's probably not true at all, but when I look out in the world to see NRA saving the 2nd Ammendment and guns, I don't usually see much. The magazines are good, the editorials and news stories are beneficial, but members are about all that get them, the message is not getting to the unconverted. In my opinion, there is probably a very smart guy someplace in these United States that could really put the NRA on the map big time, picking up 10 million new members, and be happy with 1/4 of LaPierres salary.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

I am a Benefactor Life Member and I didn't vote. I don't know and I have have never heard of most of the candidates on the ballot.

Before I quit voting and lost interest in NRA politics, I called the Membership Office at NRA Headquarters and asked if there were any information available concerning the numbers of NRA Life Members, and added that I was curious how many are Benefactor, Patron, Endowment, or Regular Life Members.

The woman told me that she didn't have that information, and wasn't sure if anyone kept track of such things.

... In the MEMBERSHIP OFFICE... :? :shock:

The plain fact is that there is zero transparency in organizational operations or politics and the NRA doesn't give a tiny pink g_d-dammn about it's membership or what they think, unless there is a buck to be made from applying such an interest.

I reckon that most gun-owners see that as plain, and about 4 million of us at some point support a vain hope that we can "make a difference."

:(
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

I don't know how long you have to be a member to get a ballot, all I know is I didn't get one. And there may be a glitch now, I pay through my range membership and they somehow 'forgot' to pay my dues this year so I expired. They've paid it now and I'm legal again, but that might affect my voting ability.

For now it's just something to look forward to, but when I get there I'm not going to know who to vote for any more than I would now.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

If you vote for the protest write-in candidate I'd bet you'd know who you were voting for. If we got 300 votes for one of these guys he'd be reported. As it is no write-in with less than 200 votes gets reported.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I'm wondering how they are going to spin their quest to get an NRA - Only exemption to the latest DemSoc attack on Free Speech... (effectively shutting off/down all other more Pro RKBA groups...)
URGENT ALERT: NRA cuts deals to limit free speech
Three prominent Washington D.C. websites are reporting what many capitol insiders warned of: the National Rifle Association has made a deal with the devil (i.e. anti-gun Democrats Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid) to limit the free speech of Americans in exchange for their carved-out exemption.

While some pro-gun rights advocates may think free speech does not matter or that nothing another gun advocacy group does should ever be questioned, the National Association for Gun Rights and I take a very different view.

Without the right to free speech, we are defenseless in the battle to save our Second Amendment rights.

Let me be clear: restricting our First Amendment rights is the first step to stripping us of our Second Amendment rights, and should be resisted at every turn.

We don’t care who you are or what an organization may have done in the past – we only care about whether your actions will promote or harm our rights.

And frankly, this craven deal by the NRA will damage our gun rights and our free speech rights. After you read up on the facts, I ask you to give the NRA an earful by calling 1-800-672-3888 and insist they renounce the deal with Pelosi and Reid. Believe me, it is not too late if you will get involved.

http://www.redstate.com/erick/2010/06/1 ... democrats/
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38500.html
http://www.campaignfreedom.org/newsroom ... l-with-nra

Though at first objecting to the DISCLOSE Act, which would radically limit the free speech of organizations and thus, gun owners, the NRA has now agreed to an exemption for their organization (and other mammoth, mostly liberal, organizations like AARP and probably Moveon.org) in exchange for support of the Democrats’ bill.

This legislation would place draconian limitations on the ability of organizations to voice their opinions on politicians, and by extension, their legislation. The chilling effect on free speech would be difficult to overstate.

Along with their tacit endorsement of Senator Harry Reid, the NRA is signaling that they trust the Democrats will spare the Second Amendment from further assaults.

But that’s a strategy of appeasement, and to put it bluntly, it’s insane. It just delays the inevitable.

Winston Churchill addressed this strategy when he said “An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last.”

Background:
This is not the only time the NRA has cut a deal to harm gun owners and gun rights in the glare of an anti-gun media frenzy.

Just a three years ago, the NRA joined with arch gun-hater Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-NY) to pass H.R. 2640, the Veteran’s Disarmament Act. When gun control advocates saw the Virginia Tech shootings as an opportunity to pass gun control, the NRA immediately signed the documents of surrender and actively lobbied Congress to pass legislation that will disarm tens of thousands of Americans, including veterans.

Why did they do that? Frankly, they were more concerned with what the media and Washington power-bosses were saying than their loyal-to-a-fault members.

Similarly in 2004 when, desperate to pass the Firearms Manufacturers’ Lawsuits Protection bill, the NRA dangled a re-authorization of the Clinton Assault Weapons ban in front of hungry politicians. The deal was going to be that if anti-gun politicians voted for the Lawsuit Protection bill, the NRA would not oppose re-authorization of the sun-setting Clinton Gun Ban.

Thankfully, a coalition of groups led by the National Association for Gun Rights joined together to kill that deal by exposing it to the light of honest gun owners across this nation... just like we are doing now. In that fight, after a few weeks of excuses and covering their tracks, the NRA backed off of the deal, the Lawsuit Protection Bill still passed and the Clinton Gun Ban ended.

What can you do?
Tell the NRA you’ve had enough, and urge them to kill the DISCLOSE Act, not cut a deal to pass it. Call them at 1-800-672-3888 today, as it may be too late tomorrow.
Tuesday, June 15, 2010

We alerted you last week to the very dangerous DISCLOSE Act (HR 5175), where liberal House Democrats are trying to gag their political opponents.

Well, there have been some late-breaking developments in the fight to kill this bill, but you're not going to believe what's happening. This is what Politico.com reported yesterday:

House Democrats have offered to exempt the National Rifle Association from a sweeping campaign-finance bill, removing a major obstacle in the push to roll back the Supreme Court's Citizens United ruling.
The NRA had objected to some of the strict financial disclosure provisions that Democrats have proposed for corporations and politically active nonprofits and that had kept moderate, pro-gun Democrats from backing the legislation.
But if the NRA signs off on the deal, the bill could come to the House floor as early as this week. The NRA said it would not comment until specific legislative language is revealed.
An NRA official also noted that the group would not be supporting the bill but would not actively oppose it if the deal with the Democratic leadership holds up.

more at www.gunowners.org
Why am I not suprised? :evil:
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Really,
They are getting to be some real idiots in this org.
Now,since my wifes reup is coming this month,they call every day at 5-6 pm after she already talked to them.
If you dont pickup they let the answering machine go through its whole routine then hang up.
Last time(yesterday)I picked up the phone while eating dinner and someone with a strong Mexican accent asked for her.
After chewing him out I said if we get just one more call "just one" from any of you idiots in the next month.
You will lose me/my wife/my daughter as members for good!
I finally asked him what time he eats dinner---he asked why,I said so I can rudely start calling him while he is eating dinner wiith his family.Where do they get these morons?
Would I quit the NRA------?? probably not---but the girls sure might!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04221.html

Note that Cleta Mitchell is an NRA board member...
Sincerely,

Hobie

jmortimer
Levergunner

Post by jmortimer »

I did not renew this year. First, and it was so wrong, the NRA cut a deal on the Dislose Act. NRA Board Member Cleata Mitchell was right on. If there is no First Amendment then there will be no Second Amendment. The end came for me when they endorsed approximately 56 democrat incumbants for the House in 11-2010 election. If the NRA got its way we would still have speaker pelosi. South Dakota is exhibit A - NRA endorsed Sandlin ("B-" GAO rating) over Uber Gun Babe and real deal Noem (GOA "A" rating) in the "At Large" race. Thank God Noem won and South Dakota did the right thing. I'll stick with GOA and since I live in Kalifornia its sister organization Gun Owners of California. As far as I'm concerned the NRA is a sell-out. I hate RINOs more than liberals as at least the liberal is being consistent in hating guns. If there were only Conservatives and Libertarians in Congress we would be better off. With Justice Kennedy (pray that he lives at least until 1-2013) we are one vote away from the end of the RKBA so voting for democrats/liberals will get a fifth vote on the SCOTUS to join kagan, ginsberg, soto-mayor and bryer as opposed to the fantastic four Roberts, Thomas, Scalia, and Alito. GOA and GOC for me.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

The NRA strives not to simply be an extension of the GOP. This is the smartest move they can make politically. For the most part their endorsement protocol is very consistent. They look first at the actual voting record of the individual, then at their answers to the questionaires they send. They endorse the higher-scored candidate regardless of party. If the candidates are close, they endorse the encumbant.

Now, we all know that elected a single Democrat to national office simply builds an anti-gun/anti-2nd Amendment majority. They speak to this in many written columns, but never in terms of actual party affiliations. This allows them to continue to attract some small support from Democrat politicians in very pro-gun locales and states. It also helps immensely at the state and local level, where many of the battles for our rights actually are fought, albeit with less national attention. Think of the victories with concealed carry laws and "castle doctrine" laws. These were all won at the state level with broad bipartisan support.

If the NRA allows themselves to become a wholly-owned affiliate of the GOP they will lose power. Think black America. The Dem's know that no matter what fool they run, 90%+ of blacks will vote for him or her if he or she has a (D) after their name - no matter what. So, the end result is that the GOP, for the most part, ignores that part of the electorate and the Dem's take them for granted. We can all see the end result.

I'm not 100% happy with everything the NRA does, and I am a member of several other pro-gun groups as well. We all should be. However, make no mistake - the NRA is the most feared and has the most clout of any grass-roots political organization in the country - in almost any area. Without them we would have lost our Second Amendment liberties long ago.

Welcome to the forum!
jmortimer
Levergunner

Post by jmortimer »

I finally had enough with RINOs and compromise and the "can't we all just get along" garbage. Elections have consequences and with the SCOTUS at a razor thin 5-4 on the RKBA I say no more "well it's better than nothing." soto-mayor upheld the D.C. gun ban on the Appellate court and is now on SCOTUS thanks to the democrats and same with the other three nit-wits who are now in love with international law as precedent. I'm in the minority on this one. But even if I'm the only one who thinks the NRA should back Conservatives and Libertarians only, so be it.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Looks like it has been a few months since any posting on this topic, but what I'm feeling seems to fit here. Last week the letter from NRA-ILA arrived that I get every January. This is the one I like: no glossy paper and whining letter, just a little slip asking for your donation. So every January for some time now I've been sending them $100 to keep up the good fight.

Now a couple of years ago they had this great deal on life memberships where I could sign up kids or grandkids for ... was it $300 or $350? Anyway, first it was limited to one, and I signed up my most active grandkid (he's been teaching hunter's ed to youngsters for several years now and I thought was the one most likely). Some time later NRA opened up opportunity to add some more on this life-membership bargain. I was going to add 4 more grandkids, but the first grandson was complaining to me about the tremendous volume of "pleas for more donations" he was receiving, and I had to agree with him that it was overwhelming. So I thought I couldn't subject more grandkids to that junk-mail blast, and so didn't add any more memberships.

Got to wondering just how heavy the mail volume had become, so this last year, instead of tossing these missives I stashed them in a bin. Just took out the "stash" from 2010 when the January NRA-ILA letter arrived. 37 "pleas for donation" last year, not counting the January letter and any "gunowner polls" that I would have filled out and sent in, which also have pleas for money attached. Wow! these fellows are crying "wolf" slightly more often than every 10 days! Now if NRA can put out such a mailing for a mere $2 per piece (I have no real idea what it costs, but know it can't be cheap), then they are using 3/4 of my $100 annual donation just to ask for more donations. Ouch! That's ridiculous!

But NRA is the 800 lb. gorilla we have on the side of the good guys, and so I want to support them. And I feel guilty that I am not active politically, although I have been a life member for close to 40 years (man, I'm just not a go-to-meeting, proselytizing type guy: just not in my DNA, even if I wish I could take on some of this for the good of the coming crop of grandkids...) .

So I look at this 37 count of slick mail pleas and know that this is just some PR outfit maximizing their own income. I'd bet the net income for NRA-ILA would be maximized by 2, or maybe 3 annual mailings. And if they could assure us that the January request would be it for the year except in case of true emergency, that one would surely garner them a lot better net than the way they are doing it now.

So what do you do at this point? Guess I'll send 'em the $100 again, even though they may only be using $25 for anything useful. But this sure does upset this old fanny burp...

And Hobie, I'm with you on the "let's get just a few good names and vote for just them for the board". But you know, with 75 board members the Washington crew really has no effective oversight. A board of 5 would be vastly more effective in bringing input from the grassroots back to Washington. 75 is perfect for creating impermeable smoke screen.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
williamranks
Levergunner 3.0

Post by williamranks »

I dropped out of the NRA quite a while ago.
In my opinion, and it's only my opinion. I don't want any PMs about my parentage or mental health.
Sorry about that, I used to post occasionally at MarlinOwners Asylum.

The NRA has gotten too big. Somebody over there discovered that the percentage of the membership that are diehard supporters and will do what the NRA tells them to do is marketable for collecting licensing fees and corporate or political donations.
Official Gold Dealer? NRA mortgages and real estate and prescription plans? Official Visa?
They've even come out for Scott Walker in Wisconson and if a quarter of what I read is true he's gonna end up in jail.

Bill

Corporations, governments, religions, clubs, anything that has gotten too big or been around too long share one thing in common with cesspools.
Without a good shakeup what floats to the top isn't cream.
Bill Ranks
I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Robert A. Heinlein
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

earlmck wrote:But you know, with 75 board members the Washington crew really has no effective oversight. A board of 5 would be vastly more effective in bringing input from the grassroots back to Washington. 75 is perfect for creating impermeable smoke screen.
That is absolutely true.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

williamranks wrote:I dropped out of the NRA quite a while ago.
In my opinion, and it's only my opinion. I don't want any PMs about my parentage or mental health.
Sorry about that, I used to post occasionally at MarlinOwners Asylum.

The NRA has gotten too big. Somebody over there discovered that the percentage of the membership that are diehard supporters and will do what the NRA tells them to do is marketable for collecting licensing fees and corporate or political donations.
Official Gold Dealer? NRA mortgages and real estate and prescription plans? Official Visa?
They've even come out for Scott Walker in Wisconson and if a quarter of what I read is true he's gonna end up in jail.

Bill

Corporations, governments, religions, clubs, anything that has gotten too big or been around too long share one thing in common with cesspools.
Without a good shakeup what floats to the top isn't cream.
I fail to see how fund raising efforts are a negative. AND we have plenty of little gun clubs that get nowhere on the national level. E.g. my club has 300 members, who in DC cares about 300 old men? It is in size/numbers that there is strength.

As to Scott Walker, I've heard of nothing that he's done illegal but I have to wonder as to why you include him here? The NRA chooses their endorsements solely on the pro-gun stance of the candidate.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Idahoser

Post by Idahoser »

Hobie wrote:...The NRA chooses their endorsements solely on the pro-gun stance of the candidate.
I can not forgive them for Harry Reid. THere was simply no sense to that, it was wrong and everybody knows it.

They haven't really lost anything far as I can tell, and that's a dam shame, there should be an accounting over something that stupid.

They do not protect gun rights, they feed them away slowly.

I don't want them to go away and I have not resigned, I want them taken over and the losers thrown out and them to become what the want people to think they already are.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:...
As to Scott Walker, I've heard of nothing that he's done illegal but I have to wonder as to why you include him here? The NRA chooses their endorsements solely on the pro-gun stance of the candidate.
Except in the case of Mitt, and there they are simply endorsing yet another East Coast Insider that is not a (D).
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Idahoser wrote:
Hobie wrote:...The NRA chooses their endorsements solely on the pro-gun stance of the candidate.
I can not forgive them for Harry Reid. THere was simply no sense to that, it was wrong and everybody knows it.

They haven't really lost anything far as I can tell, and that's a dam shame, there should be an accounting over something that stupid.

They do not protect gun rights, they feed them away slowly.

I don't want them to go away and I have not resigned, I want them taken over and the losers thrown out and them to become what the want people to think they already are.
I didn't like it either and pointed it out to the leadership in a letter (but I doubt anybody read it). Still, it proves that party isn't the deciding factor here.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Except in the case of Mitt, and there they are simply endorsing yet another East Coast Insider that is not a (D).
What other candidate is there to endorse? Obama? Of the two which would you prefer? I don't think there is a choice. Failure to vote is to accede to the status quo and socialism is what I've opposed all my life. One must vote for Romney or voting will be a moot point next election. I'm beginning to feel that I'll be in a cell right next to the Nuge if Obama is re-elected.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Hobie wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:
What other candidate is there to endorse? Obama? Of the two which would you prefer? I don't think there is a choice. Failure to vote is to accede to the status quo and socialism is what I've opposed all my life. One must vote for Romney or voting will be a moot point next election. I'm beginning to feel that I'll be in a cell right next to the Nuge if Obama is re-elected.
It was more their LACK of endorsement of any of the other candidates earlier on that irks me. They wait until they see which way the wind blows then go with it. NRA support early on could have made heap big difference to one of the other candidates, then we wouldn't be saddled with Mr. Anti-Assault-Rifle. Not voting may not be an option, but there were a lot more options available to the NRA months ago.

The only reason we are forced into this conundrum is that the DC Powers that Be (which includes the NRA) have a side game going on that doesn't include Gunowners or the Constitution. They want to keep their little club intact and the likes of Caine, Bachman, Perry or Paul (among others) would have impeded that.

FWIW, but still on topic, my wife made an interesting observation last night... Have you noticed that it's almost always the unelected Frenchman on the cover of the Rifleman and not the elected President of the NRA? The Pres only rates Pg.14.

I guess Unelected EVP is more important than Elected Pres...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Unless I know someone personally that endorses someone or something I don't pay much attention to an endorsement.
The political lobby side of the NRA has done more good than most care to admit to or even know about. The most important side of the NRA gets very little recognition or acknowledgement, and that's the side is the shooting side, the very foundation of the NRA. Without their sponsorship of the dozens and dozens of shooting sports we wouldn't have near the opportunity to freely use firearms, nor the types of available firearms we have.
I find it sad that most folks completely overlook the main purpose of the NRA , and spend all their time grousing about what they do or don't like about the lobby side.

Anybody know when the GOA bptr championships, or their levergun silloutte national championships, or when is their 4-H shooting sports program kicking off? Ever heard of a friends of the GOA banquet, or seen a public shooting range built with GOA or NAGR funds?
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don McDowell wrote:Unless I know someone personally that endorses someone or something I don't pay much attention to an endorsement.
The political lobby side of the NRA has done more good than most care to admit to or even know about. The most important side of the NRA gets very little recognition or acknowledgement, and that's the side is the shooting side, the very foundation of the NRA. Without their sponsorship of the dozens and dozens of shooting sports we wouldn't have near the opportunity to freely use firearms, nor the types of available firearms we have.
I find it sad that most folks completely overlook the main purpose of the NRA , and spend all their time grousing about what they do or don't like about the lobby side.

Anybody know when the GOA bptr championships, or their levergun silloutte national championships, or when is their 4-H shooting sports program kicking off? Ever heard of a friends of the GOA banquet, or seen a public shooting range built with GOA or NAGR funds?
Good points Don.

Sometimes the critics of the NRA remind me of one aunt I had who would constantly snipe at another aunt because that aunt had failed to bring a cake to a family dinner, one time, 40 years earlier. If I had taken the same attitude with my soldiers, i.e. hating them because they had "failed" at one time or another, I could never have had a viable squad or platoon. We have tools. WE need to USE them.
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Thanks Hobie. You make a good point when referring to your company squads and platoons.
Sometimes I think we all forget to look at the forest because the trees are blocking the view.
Mahukaawenui
Levergunner

Re: NRA Politics (What to do, fixes, rants, information, etc

Post by Mahukaawenui »

More like this kid will help

http://youtu.be/ZDjp66NdiNY

Theres so many young folks that dont understand the reason for the 2nd Amendment these days. Sad

I do think the NRA is overall much needed especially today. Their pressure on the buffoons in DC is much needed.
However I do remember in 08 they gave Harry Reid an A rating << ouch
NRA Life Member
SCI Life Member
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I have my ballot in front of me and am looking at who to vote for. It's due April 6.
Todd Rathner I know for over 20 years. He has been instrumental in getting Constitutional Carry in Arizona.
R.Lee Ermy is a big name, I think he would be good.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I voted for R. Lee as well as Tom Selleck. A couple/few big names that cherish gun rights really helps our cause...
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

(sorry for the repeat posts above, please delete two of the 3
One of my pet peeves is Wayne Lapierre annual salary of $750,000. He's been at it to long. I think that is a huge waste of precious membership dollars that could be better spent.
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Centennial »

I'd like to take advantage of the knowledge on this forum in filling out my ballot. I do not know all of the people on it, (who could). I've read elsewhere that it takes away from your vote to vote for all 25, confusing info out there.

Any recommendations of candidates that will not compromise our Rights away?

So far I have Todd Rathner, R.Lee Ermey, Tom Selleck.
thanks in advance.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

I don't know most of those on the roster; that is, I don't really know most of them, let alone know them well enough to decide how effective or ineffective they would be.

I don't go to NRA functions, parties, or other get-togethers, so unless I have seen a few making really strong stances like the late great Charlton Heston, the transparently patriotic Tom Selleck, or Hornady, Nugent, or Col. North - all out there with their patriotism and veracity - I can't really know their true agenda. So for the most part, I leave it to the inner circle to make the right choices. I don't think that is such a bad idea, do you?

it's not worth agonizing for hours over the complete list to get to know (somewhat superficially) the others through Google and their published articles or statements. Too many other irons in the fire. I think these reasons fly for most members who do not vote.

Then as for maybe one or more on the list who I would NOT vote for, there may be a few. I saw Ronnie Barrett, the .50 caliber rifle guy, in the list.

I recall that because he is so angry with how the liberals in my state have comported themselves, he won't supply rifles or parts to ANY police agencies. As a retired peace officer with a retired peace officer brother, son-in-law on the streets, and several shirttail relatives in the profession (all honest cops with no blemishes on their records), I am extremely offended about this. None of us believe in the gun control nonsense that has hijacked our state politics, but all of us believe in a well armed police force to combat the crazy radical "religious" killers and "Zombie Lives Matter" anarchism that has put the "men in blue" in increasing daily peril.

Barrett has the right to do what he wants as a business man. Likewise, I have the right not to support anything he does, or ever lend a hand to benefit anyone in his family. And I certainly don't want him representing me in the NRA.

I know that there are one or two clearly self-identified cop haters even on this board, and I accept that while still welcoming their comments and views over shared interests. But we don't need one representing us in the NRA; the country is already in enough chaos.

(Edited once for syntax - in italics)
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

JohndeFresno wrote: I don't go to NRA functions,
The NRA show that's once a year that moves around is worth the drive if it's close.
I of course like looking at all the new stuff but I spend most of my time in collectors row meeting with friends.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

I know this is an old post topic but I read a recent article that reminded me why I let my membership lapse long ago.

When the NRA originally OPPOSED the Heller case, I swore I would not send them any more money. That's right ... they couldn't remember which side they were on and they opposed the case at the time. Their original thinking was apparently that it was a threat to their racket. Eventually they turned when they realized that membership opinion was vastly against them. Now I'm sure that most of their propaganda material touts their role in making sure the case got heard. Even if you were around back then, you may not remember the truth of their position.

And I have to disagree with Doc Hudson's post on this point ... the best way to change the NRA isn't from within, it's from the wallet. Within has been long since corrupted. When I dropped my membership, I had to give up my range membership at my local club because they required NRA membership. Good luck to them when the NRA ceases to exist be it from financial implosion or from unlawful actions they may have taken and get called on.

Wayne LaPierre is corrupt and incompetent and the chickens will be coming home to roost over the next few years I expect. That original Heller position belied their true intent which was to move to benefit their internal cadre rather than the members of the organization.

The article below is, of course, biased. But even as a conservative, I read as much as I can from every side. It's the only way to remain truly informed.

NRA article in the New Yorker
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Pretty much.

I'm a Life Member, but haven't sent a dime since then. I stay a Life Member so I can vote. Other Pro Gun Orgs get any money I have to spare.

I met The Vichy at an event in the late '90s where the NRA was trying to take credit for Aaron Gottleib's work defeating a bad Initiative in Washington. They provided Gottleib ZERO support... until it became obvious that he was going to win, and THEN they jumped in.

And after what they had just done to Neil Knox and Leroy Pyle, that was the last straw for me.

AFAIC the NRA is part of the Problem... they swim and breathe in the swamp of "Canapes, Cocktails, Compromise and Pandering" CCCP.

Everything the Revolt in '78 stood for has been absorbed by DC Swamp Dwellers who saw a meal ticket.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Old Ironsights wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:05 pmI met The Vichy at an event in the late '90s ...
I had totally forgotten your name for LaPierre. That still cracks me up all these years later. Thanks.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Oops ... those chickens may be roosting even sooner than I thought.

There is a veritable wave of bad press rolling over the NRA this week ... focused in part on The Vichy's financial corruption. Though it may just turn out to be incompetence. It's unfortunate that the NRA might have once been fixable but now may face a corporate death sentence at this point if investigations by NY pan out. I know, many will say it's a partisan attack and that's entirely correct but the problem is ... there was impropriety that opened the door to this action and it may very well turn into a valid prosecution.

There was an article this week that described the evolution of organizations like the NRA ... a noble cause that morphs into a business that then morphs into a racket in the end. We are at the end of the racket phase with the NRA.

It's unfortunate that such a once great organization has strayed so far from its mission in order to enrich those at the top of the power structure.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Yeah, we've seen that 'corporate decay' in everything from the Red Cross to the various churches mooching off the government to help more illegals influx.

On the other hand, like Old Ironsights, I stay a member to vote, AND because like it or not, so far the NRA has the most 'clout' even though they don't take as strong a positions as I would like most of the time.

I figure the NRA's financial cronyism is like Trump's personal tax returns - I don't really care much about either - I just care how my gun rights are doing. So far not too bad, considering the strong current of anti-gun politics they are swimming against.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
horsesoldier2019
Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier2019 »

If they don't start fixing problems the NRA will likely not continue to survive. IMO, Wayne seems to think of himself as entitled and is definitely part of the problem.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

horsesoldier2019 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:30 pm If they don't start fixing problems the NRA will likely not continue to survive. IMO, Wayne seems to think of himself as entitled and is definitely part of the problem.
Always has, and always was.

He's a Swamp Critter.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!