Wild West Guns Trigger

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Wild West Guns Trigger

Post by Wes »

I was given a WWG trigger for a Marlin 1895. The rifle most in need of it is a 336 in 35 Rem. I'm sure it'll work, but thought I'd ask to be sure. Has anyone here put them in by themselves. I'm not totally unhandy, but not a gunsmith either. Are they hard to put in? Would you recommend having someone more qualified than a turd kickin cowboy do it? Thanks.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Piece of cake Wes. Just use hollow ground (gunsmith) screwdrivers so as not to bugger the heads. You will need a small punch (about 1/16") to get the trigger pin out as well. Other than that, just pay attention to how it comes apart. If you run into trouble, just come back here for help. :wink:
iowa45
Levergunner

Post by iowa45 »

I put one in my 1894 and it was really easy. If you can disassemble your rifle, you can install it.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

azoil +1, I did both my 1895's no problem.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Thanks guys, just needed a little encouragement. I hope it helps this rifle, got about a 6lb pull. Shoots good though it's tough to really bear down and shoot good with that kind of trigger.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

I have, I think, three of them in rifles. Best bolt on improvement you can make IMO.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I'm glad this was brought up, you guys convinced me. I'm going to get one for my new 1984c. It really needs one.
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Alright azoil, I tore into this project and I'm having a hard time getting the hammer screw to line up. The action won't close when I get past this point either. It's almost like the follower wont' move, but I'm not sure. The hammer won't thread back in all the way and I don't want to strip the threads or cross thread it. Something just isn't right. Do you have to get the bottom tang/trigger group all the way out when you install this? Is there something there that could cause this? Help please, anyone.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Wes,

Are you still taking it apart? I am a tad confused by this question:
Do you have to get the bottom tang/trigger group all the way out when you install this?
Because yes, you will need to remove the lower plate in order to do the swap.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Refer to the following drawing:
http://www.gunuts.com/images/40.jpg

1. With the rifle still assembled, open the action and then remove the finger lever screw (#38 ).

2. Remove the finger lever. (#34)

3. Remove the breech bolt. (#3)

4. Remove the ejector. (#25)

5. Remove the Trigger guard plate support screw (#18 “upper tang screwâ€
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

What did I miss guys? :?
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Already had the trigger installed. Now the follower won't work right when I go to close the bolt. Run the lever forward and it only goes a little ways, the follower won't go down.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Do you mean the cartridge carrier? #22 in the picture?

It should normally be in the raised position as the breech bolt is moving forward. So that shouldn't be preventing the breech bolt from moving forward.
Do you have the finger lever installed with the screw installed?
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

If it were in my hands I would start going backwards in the process until you find what is hanging up.

Anyone else ever run into this issue? :?
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Wes,

You didn't remove the carrier did you?
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

No, I just followed the steps outlined. Actually had an old book on the 336 that I've had. The cartridge carrier does stay up, I see that now. I'm gonna run through it again. I'll get back with you. Thanks for your troubles.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

No problem, keep us posted.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Please explain in simple one or two silabel words to this humble (???) mixed blood European-American (mostly Lithuanian Polish ) what the big deal is about this Wild West trigger.

What makes it the hot gizmo right now?

Thank You

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Joe,

For me, the shortest description is this, "Tighter Groups".

The trigger is lighter, crisper, and gets rid of the "trigger flop".
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Its just a trigger with a spring in it to take up the slop some folks take issue with from Marlin triggers. It must be polished better than the factory part I think to give the lower pull people say it does.
I like tinkering myself too much to spend the bucks for one so far. But I may end up with one some day. Just to see what the fuss is about.
So far a few minutes with a fine diamond stone on the factory sear has worked for me just fine.

I'm not dissing the product, too many people like it for it to be a sham. I just dont need it. :wink:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

OK, I see. Being a long time fan of the Mdl 94 Wins the trigger flop is a non issue. I don't even notice it.
And 90% of the leverguns I've owned need a trigger job. So that's a given.

Thanks.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mtn Hawk
Levergunner

Post by Mtn Hawk »

The WWG trigger was a big improvement on my Marlin 336 and 1894C.

I am not mechanically gifted and wouldn't have wanted to disassemble and reassemble these rifles without this guide (lots of photos). They can be downloaded. Midway has them and probably other mail-order companies do, too.

http://www.takedownguides.com/
Wes
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wes »

Being naturally stubborn. I decided since it didn't work too well tearing apart one Marlin that I'd go ahead and tear apart the 444 and try it. Put trigger in and had it back together in 10 minutes. Trigger works great. Nice clean 2 1/2lb trigger.
Things I noticed right away, when taking the bottom tang off the 336 it seemed like everything wanted to spring apart a little. None of the screw holes wanted to line back up.
With the 444 everything came apart easily and the holes lined up a hell of a bunch easier. Go figure.
Now I'm going to get that 35 Rem back together. Still seems like the bolt is binding on something.
azoil
Levergunner 2.0

Post by azoil »

Hey Wes,

I noticed something after typing up all those instructions. That drawing has the instructions on it already. Doh!!

:? :oops: :lol:
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

Wes wrote:Being naturally stubborn. I decided since it didn't work too well tearing apart one Marlin that I'd go ahead and tear apart the 444 and try it. Put trigger in and had it back together in 10 minutes. Trigger works great. Nice clean 2 1/2lb trigger.
Things I noticed right away, when taking the bottom tang off the 336 it seemed like everything wanted to spring apart a little. None of the screw holes wanted to line back up.
With the 444 everything came apart easily and the holes lined up a hell of a bunch easier. Go figure.
Now I'm going to get that 35 Rem back together. Still seems like the bolt is binding on something.
Alot of times its muh easier to just start the trigger plate screws but not tighten them before trying the hammer screw. Lets things move around easier. Being slightly sprung isn't unusual.
It should be easy to find what the bolts dragging on. Might be some stuff in the ejector groove. Try sliding it back & forth without the lever or ejector.