Ever buy the same gun twice?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Ever buy the same gun twice?

Post by M. M. Wright »

Many years ago I had to sell a Browning B78, (hi-wall) in 30-06 with tapered octagon barrel which I had bought new, due to financial needs. I had forgotten to take along the sling swivels that lock into flush fittings in the stock to the gun show. I got the buyers address so that I could mail them to him. Taped them to a card and sent them along, of course putting my return address on the letter. About ten years later I got a letter from him asking if I would like to buy it back. Seems he had sold it to his SIL who no longer wanted it so he had bought it back from the SIL. Price was the same as he had paid me. I drove the 3 or so hours to his place and it still wore the same Weaver K2.5X scope. I was really glad to get it back. My favorite rifle.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ever buy the same gun twice?

Post by hightime »

That's a cool story. The title here should have been, did you ever sell or loose something you wish you hadn't and had a second chance. I wish I could have one.

Owen.........come to think of it , I did get my Dad's Antique Saddle Ring '94 back. I'm ok.
Last edited by hightime on Wed May 09, 2012 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I read that story, it's a good one.

Owen
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

M.M,
Neat story. :D That is very unusual as many times we never see the buyer again unless we know them.

The only time that happened to me was when in the late seventies, I gave my Dad a like new nickel Colt Detective Spl. and he sold it back to me some 15 years later. -----------Sixgun
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Glad ya got it back 8)
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Good deal - I have a similar one pending on a Browning Auto 5 Lt 20. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, 3 times. A Browning 1886, an M-1 Garand and a 1911 clone. All three sold in the same year for financial reasons... all three purchased back over a period of 15 years. Hope to never make that mistake again. Sellin' them that is! :twisted: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
1894c

Post by 1894c »

twice...and on one occasion once more...(a Marlin 1894 in .44Mag, bought and sold it three times...gone again)... :)
Last edited by 1894c on Thu May 10, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, I own a couple that I bought when the owner needed funds, and I promised to give him first crack at them if I ever decided to sell them again.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

BlaineG wrote:Well, I own a couple that I bought when the owner needed funds, and I promised to give him first crack at them if I ever decided to sell them again.

same deal with me ---- my brother bought a Colt Lawman .357 from me when i was "short-stacked" once. Several years later, he was also short-stacked so i bought it back from him --- i guess it really belongs to both of us now since we seem to be our own self contained pawn shops
----- Doug
Dave James
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dave James »

Have bought back a Rossi 92 in 357 mag three times now, early model carbine length barrel, and had it set up as a "scout", throated out for the 200 grain cast lead stuff, enlarge the lever to almost a "glove" style and added a fold down peep, was my every where truck/trunk gun, sold it off to friends still in the LEO field, and have bought it back each time it has come up, Hope I don't do it again, dmn thing is getting costly!! :lol:
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Yes, I've done that.

Back about 1990 or so I had my Win 94AE Trapper in .45 Colt and wanted a carbine for the added couple of rounds.
Marlin came out with their 1894 in .45 Colt and I thought that would be just the ticket. I traded the 94AE and some wampum for the Marlin and soon found out the Marlin had a chamber so grossly over sized that when the firing pin hit the primer it would drive the entire cartridge, rim and all, into the chamber.
Took that back and traded it back to the dealer for my 94AE.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

I posted this here a couple of times before, but it fits so here it is again:

Lander, Wyoming in 1948-49 was a small, remote ranch town of about 2500 people where the Great Depression was just starting to end. As a nine year old boy, I would spend my 15 cents at the Saturday matinee and then go hang out at my favorite place, Spaldsbury's Saddlery and Sporting Goods. What a wonderful place it was: odors of new and old leather, new and old horse blankets, pipe smoke, original Hoppes and gun oil, occsionally a faint whiff of whiskey. Glass cabinets full of old Colts and Smith&Wessons. Racks full of Winchesters, Remingtons, Marlins, etc. More racks full of surplus Krags, Springfield bolt guns and trapdoors. Fishing gear too. Spitoons and sawdust on the floor.
One day a brand new Winchester 67 Youth appeared, price only $13.00 IIRC. I had some Christmas and birthday money squirreled away and conned Dad into spliting the cost. I didnt have to sign for it but Dad had to come down and carry it out for me.
I spent the next 3 years or so potting tin cans, stray crows and riding along behind Dad on old Poppin' Johnny, terrorizing prairie dogs. I learned to shoot with that gun.
At age 12 or 13 I got the hots for a new Remington model 512 at Spaldsburys, so I traded in the 67 on it This was in about 1952. Never looked back until much later in life.
In 1982, my Air Force career at an end, I moved back to Lander to start a new life. Every once in a while I would go to a gun show and see a Model 67 Youth and get a lump in my throat, longing for the days of my childhood and kicking my self for ever trading off my very first gun.
About 3 years ago my wife and I stopped at a yard sale put on by an older fellow here in town. He had some guns on a table and there it was, a Winchester 67 youth in very good condition. Got to chatting him up about it and asked him the history of the gun. He said he got it for his little son but the kid never took an interest in it, so it had been in the back of the closet for the last 50 years. I asked him where he got it, he said he bought it used at Spaldsburys in about 1952!! I gave him his $100.00 and ran for my truck , shaking like a leaf!
I cleaned it up and took it to the range to shoot a few cans, which I did, but it was difficult, I kept getting some smoke in my eyes.
My very first gun is back with me, and holds a place of honor in my safe. Life is good.
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

Years ago I had a 41 S&W that I sold to a friend. Within a year he traded it to my dad. Later on my dad traded it back to the guy. Finally about two years after I first sold it to the friend, I ended up buying it back from him.
dogngun
Levergunner 1.0

Post by dogngun »

About 15 years ago, I bought a used SAA in .44 magnum, made by Sauer & Shon in Germany in teh 1970's. I have had several of these-I like them a lot. I eventually sold it, saw it again a few years ago, in a different shop, with a broken ejector rod. I bought it - cheap- and installed a Ruger rod assembly. Kept it for a year or so, sold it again when I got rid of all my .44's due to tendon problems in my hands.

I have not seen one of these since, but if I find one in .357, I will buy it for sure.

mark
The GOP/teabag party - Anti American AND stupid.
Barcelona Rick
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Barcelona Rick »

My brother and I have swapped/traded/bought several firearms from each other over the years......we have also given each other several as gifts. We laugh that we are kinda like a pawn shop with each other as our only customer.....keeping them in the family makes it easier to get the one back you should have never sold.....

rick