A Terribly Sad Story From An Attic

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

A Terribly Sad Story From An Attic

Post by Sixgun »

Howdy Guys,
This is a sad story which even brings tears to a hardened Eastener like myself. I'll put the text and pictures farther down so you won't accidently see them so if you are faint of heart or have younguns peeking over yor shoulder, bug out right now. Griff, hold on to the steering wheel of the KW, and Pitchy, well, head on out to the workshop. O.S., Get to the club and snuggle up to a few indentations. Here we go guys.................

Last week this guy I work with came down to the outside warehouse I work at with a trunkload of guns. He tells me he found them in a little cubby hole in the attic of his house where he has lived for 8 years in Wilmington, Delaware. (Gads, how does not one inspect everything in his house in that length of time?)

There were 4 guns (OK, not a trunkload) They were all heavily rusted and frozen tight and welded up with rust. #1 was some junk .22 bolt gun. #2 was a hammer double of unknown make. #3 was a full sized 1898 Krag with full nickel plate with nice wood with a crisp cartouche made in 1899. and #4 was ............................I can't do this, give me some time to get some tissues. .........................................................................................................................................................................................a very seldom seen first model1899 Savage "H" carbine in .303. This has the unbanded forearm with no little schnabel at the tip. 20" light barrel with carbine buttplate without the saddle ring. Wood is some type of fruitwood, not walnut. Built in 1924

After working on these guns all this week, the .22 and the double barrel are headed for the next $100 dollar gun buy back program which are very popular here in the East. The 1899 is all apart and is soaking in penetrating oil and yes, I got the action working----it was still in the cocked position and when I pulled the trigger it went "click. :D The bore is very shootable. This may also wind up in the gun buyback program--we will see.

The Krag, due to it's full nickel plate whch was obviously done by a VFW Spanish American vet has been salvaged and is in perfect working condition. The bore is MINT, so I'm guessing the old vet coated it with cosmoline before hiding it in the little cubby hole in the attic. (Good guy--thanks buddy--thank you for your service) The gun looks like junk but is smoooooth with a tight lock-up and the rest of the things that make a great shooter.

And yep, even though the guns are rusted junk, I still saw to it my buddy at work will be well fed and be able to put on a good drunk this weekend. :D

Here's a few pics with descriptions------------------- :D Sixgun :D

The Krag and the 1899. I have the forend of the '99.---the blue under the forend looks like it came out of the factory when the gun was built in 1924.

The '99 H

The .22 and the double gun--Anybody know what the double gun is with that opening lever? All markings are gone.

Whooooopppssss! Somehow this Marlin Model 27 in 25-20 built in 1909 (serial #131) slipped in the door along with the rusted junk. :wink: (a lesson for you younguns :D )

While I'm here I figured I'd post 2 more pics from an upcoming local auction in the next several weeks. As my bud from Targetmaster has access to these guns, I accompanied him for inspection and for him to pick my little brain. This is a Winchester Hi-Wall in 32-20 with a #1 barrel, made in 1889. Whoa! Too rich for my blood

Here's a very clean and 95% Savage 1899 takedown in .22 Hi-Power. I somehow gotta figure out how to "slip" this one in the house. :D -------------Sixgun

I just shot the 1898 Krag. Only 3 shots with cast bullets at only 50 yards but it sure is an indication. :D
Last edited by Sixgun on Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Re: A Terribly Sad Story From An Attic

Post by geobru »

I ran out of Kleenex Jack!

I appreciate the pictures of the non-rust encased guns to help take some of the sting away.

Kind of makes one wonder how many guns are hidden in attics, basements or other secret cubby holes?

Looks like it wouldn't have made too much difference if your buddy had found them 8 years ago or not. They appear to have been there for a while. It is a shame. :cry: :cry:
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

I'm with geobru on this one: doesn't look like 8 years one way or the other would have made much difference. Those are showing some serious oxidation. Glad somebody got hold of them that knows what needs done, Sixgun.

And if you can't slip the 22 High-Power in the house -- maybe you should just store it with me :D
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

WOW, what a story. If that 1899 was in top shape it would have fetched a pretty price. You say the barrel is shootable?
Too bad he didn't slather em all up with cosmoline.
Unbelievable 8) 8)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

To bad bout the guns, ive seen it a few times myself
But the strangest thing is I know two guys that have cut into trees
and hit guns with a chain saw, with time & a axe they managed
to whittle them out, What kind of a story could them guns have?

ollogger
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I saw some attic guns in Phx that looked like that in 2 years, heat and humidity, not good.
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Painful to see...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

i might have to have to attend a debriefing...if ever there was a "critical incident", that's one..you might even get a touch of PTSD from viewing those photos... :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

ollogger wrote:To bad bout the guns, ive seen it a few times myself
But the strangest thing is I know two guys that have cut into trees
and hit guns with a chain saw, with time & a axe they managed
to whittle them out, What kind of a story could them guns have? ollogger
I remember seeing a display that had the lower 4+ feet of a tree cut off at the stump. There was a gun coming out of the tree at the angle that someone had leaned it against the tree years earlier. The tree had completely encased the first 12" of the barrel. The lower part of the stock had rotted away and was floating up off the ground when the guy found it. I always wondered what happened to the person that left the gun there!?! :shock:

On a similar note, one of the foresters at the office has a butt cut off a Douglas-fir tree that is about 18" in diameter and there is about 4" of the base of a deer antler sticking out the side of it. It appears that the antler got caught up in the lower branches of the tree when it was young, and as the tree grew the gun was engulfed by the new growth.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Couldn`t take it any longer and came in from the shop, was getting hungry :lol:
That`s something alright. :shock:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

That's awful!

A good friend of mine does hauling and clean outs of reposessed / abandoned properties. He brought me a very nice Luger, a Stevens garden gun, Japanese 99 and a Winchester model 75.

The Luger and Stevens were in great shape. The other two? Not so much. The Model 75 I'm going to rebarrel as it took the brunt of the water damage. The Type 99 is parts grade.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well, its good to see we all have a good sense of humor. :D I tell 'ya, the pic John deFresno and 336 BL posted had me rolling on the ground.

Hey! Big deal, We are all here for a very short time so I can't see lettin' anything bother me anymore. The guns are junk and so will mine and yours be in the future.---------------Sixgun

geobru
Levergunner 3.0

Post by geobru »

Sixgun wrote: The guns are junk and so will mine and yours be in the future.---------------Sixgun
I hope you are wrong on this one, but it all depends on the interest that our grandkids have in grandpa's old guns. We see nice guns for sale all of the time that are sold because someone values the dollars more than the family heirloom that such posessions make. When I think if the old Winchesters and Marlins that are the pride and joy of some of us on this board, it makes me cringe that someone wouldn't take care of them for the next generation.

Come to think of it, maybe a layer of cosmoline and a cubby hole in the attic isn't such a bad idea?? :?
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Hey watch out for that Krag. If it was nickel plated I'm worried it was an organization drill gun intended for show, not go. I'm not sure how or why it might not be safe (emphasis on might), I'm just concerned that it might not be, so keep safe when you first test fire it.

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

If that 99 is shootable, I would Never, Never give it in to a Gooberment Buy Up program.

Nothing wrong with "ugly & shootable".

Heck, at the very worst it could be cerakoted and still be useful.

But in no way is a safe, shootable 99 ever "Buy Up" fodder.

If you think it is, I'll send you the $100 myself.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Good thing I was parked when I read this. As soon as I saw the word "Attic" I knew where this was headed! One of my foster brothers popped his good .30-30 into his attic when his first-born was a toddler. 1929 Carbine. Pristine when he put it there back in 1969. Well... many years later when I'm feeling the "need" for another .30-30 I remember "Pop Jones" asked where he had his .30-30. And bro said "attic". Well... after he got it down and we looked at it, I got it for $25. It looked very similar to that mdl 99. Doesn't anymore!

And to add to what olyinaz said... the chroming old-time process can weaken some steels. So if you're just gonna throw it up to your shoulder and fire off a few rounds... put me in your will first! :twisted: :P
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

Somewhere in here is a lesson to be learned or to be taught concerning the proper preparation of potentially fine old arms for long term storage.

:cry:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

olyinaz wrote:Hey watch out for that Krag. If it was nickel plated I'm worried it was an organization drill gun intended for show, not go. I'm not sure how or why it might not be safe (emphasis on might), I'm just concerned that it might not be, so keep safe when you first test fire it.

Oly

Thanks Oly :D , but............its a might late for that. I shot it today (only 5 rounds) and I'm still here. I'm going to take it to the gunclub tomorrow and pound 100 out of it--all cast at 1700. The 1892's and '96's are not as strong as this 1898, but its still prudent to use a bit of smarts and don't use the 220 jacketed at 2200.

My buddy Gunny looked t it last night and he picked it right out as a drill/parade gun. This gun is no where near as bad as the other 3. Thanks!-----------Sixgun

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Boo Hoo - that was beautiful, Man!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Six, I prefer to look at the hot stuff but I have discovered that even the hot stuff of years ago if they have now turned liberal will not talk to me long. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

I once briefly stored a couple of guns in the attic.
They were laying on a board but, where ever a barrel touched the fiberglass insulation, they rusted in only a few days.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote:
olyinaz wrote:Hey watch out for that Krag. If it was nickel plated I'm worried it was an organization drill gun intended for show, not go. I'm not sure how or why it might not be safe (emphasis on might), I'm just concerned that it might not be, so keep safe when you first test fire it. Oly
Thanks Oly :D , but............its a might late for that. I shot it today (only 5 rounds) and I'm still here. I'm going to take it to the gunclub tomorrow and pound 100 out of it--all cast at 1700. The 1892's and '96's are not as strong as this 1898, but its still prudent to use a bit of smarts and don't use the 220 jacketed at 2200.

My buddy Gunny looked t it last night and he picked it right out as a drill/parade gun. This gun is no where near as bad as the other 3. Thanks!-----------Sixgun
Glad it worked out! :lol: Are you going to buff it back to all in the white (the nickel will blend in that way) and clean up the stock or just leave it as is?

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Oly,
I'm gonna leave it the way it is. Th pitting on areas of the barrel is so deep that nothing can ever make it right. Plus I got plans for this Krag.===read on...........

Picture this---A bunch of guys are bragging about how accurate their open sighted rifles are. I walk up with this nasty, nasty, nasty Krag and challenge anyone $10 shot for shot at any range out to 1,000 meters. They all laugh. After the shooting is over, I get the last laugh. Sure, optimistic on my part but today I will know for sure when I head to the gunclub for the long range test with 215 grain cast gc. Th bore is 100% bright shinny, sharp, perfect crown. It will be my "sleeper" :D ----------------Sixun

MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

Friend of mine has owned the land he lives on now for about 10-11 years.

Back when he first moved onto it, no one had lived there in 30+ years, it had been cattle pastures surrounded by another 2-3,000 acres.

Walking his property inspecting fences, etc a few months after buying the property but before building on it, he finds a Winchester 9422 leaning against a tree. Rusted externally all over lightly, so it had been there a while. Still loaded.

Somewhere, some guy set it down to take a leak and never could find it again I bet......

He cleaned up the exterior and test fired it, tossed a cheap scope on it and it's now his pest control gun. It's gotten a bobcat, 3 young coyotes and a lot of skunks.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Well boys, I shot that Krag today and had her smokin'. I used the Lyman gas check 215 grain in front of 24 gr. of 5744 for 1889 fps. At 50 meters, it stayed under an inch. At 100 meters groups were only a bit bigger, even with those nasty issue sights and my semi-old eye's. Once it heated up, it started throwing them here and there but still decent. I'm gonna relieve a bit of the wood from the upper band as Colonel Townsend Whelan suggests in an old 1960 Gun Digest. Then I'm gonna redesign the rear sight and put in my own target disk. The fun continues..............................Sixgun

olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Sixgun wrote:Well boys, I shot that Krag today and had her smokin'. I used the Lyman gas check 215 grain in front of 24 gr. of 5744 for 1889 fps. At 50 meters, it stayed under an inch. At 100 meters groups were only a bit bigger, even with those nasty issue sights and my semi-old eye's. Once it heated up, it started throwing them here and there but still decent. I'm gonna relieve a bit of the wood from the upper band as Colonel Townsend Whelan suggests in an old 1960 Gun Digest. Then I'm gonna redesign the rear sight and put in my own target disk. The fun continues..............................Sixgun
Hooah! :D

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

Johnny Wright
1894c

Post by 1894c »

beware of the man with one nasty looking krag...he probably knows how to shoot it... :)
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Ugly and shootable beats pretty and non-functioning any day of the week! Thanks for rescuing those longguns Sixgun. We need to keep every gun in service as long as possible!!!
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Ysabel Kid wrote:Ugly and shootable beats pretty and non-functioning any day of the week! Thanks for rescuing those longguns Sixgun. We need to keep every gun in service as long as possible!!!
+1
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

Attics are terrible places - you should see what they do to bamboo fly rods.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

Post by Shasta »

This thread is a very good read, and I look forward to more detailed reports of that Krag shooting cast bullets at long range. :D

SHASTA
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Shasta wrote:This thread is a very good read, and I look forward to more detailed reports of that Krag shooting cast bullets at long range. :D

SHASTA

Shasta,
After first examining the barrel on the Krag, well, I was astonished. Bright,sharp...perfect crown :D I could only wonder how the inside looked so perfect with the outside looking like the car Obama used to drive around in.

I am going to finish up on my redesign of the sight tonight and this weekend I am headed to the Ridgway Rifle Club for a silhouette match. After the match we are going to play with the 1,000 yd. buffalo. I'm gonna use that Krag with those long Lyman 311284 qat 1900. Will let the boys know how she turns out.-------Sixgun

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

You're mean.

I want to participate... :twisted:
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!