Winchester 1895 .405 WCF ready for Africa

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Winchester 1895 .405 WCF ready for Africa

Post by crs »

I am finally through tweaking the Woodleigh 400 grain .411 bullet load combinations and am ready for practice shooting at Cape Buffalo targets before leaving for RSA May 27!

Yesterday afternoon at the Krodle Kountry Range, Joe and Ricky helped me chronograph and accuracy test what were to be the last two load combinations whose only difference was standard and large Federal Match rifle primers. Serendiptity! The mag primer load is in-the- zone in velocity and accuracy.

The last four mag primer rounds were recorded at ERROR (bullet path too low between screens), 2068, 2069, and 2068 fps with the chrony 10 feet from the muzzle. With or without correction, this is just over the 450/400 velocities claimed by Hornady( http://www.hornady.com/store/450-400-Ni ... 00-gr-DGS/ ) for their factory loads. With correction from screens to muzzle, it is equal to the reference loads(corrected to 2076) from the Wolfe Load data site.

These loads are also accurate; with the front bead covering the 8" bull at 100 yards, they are all in the black. So with no physical sight adjustments, the 400 grain sight picture of bead-on-target and the 300 grain picture of 6 o'clock (factory and handloads print an inch above top of bead at 100 yards) allow me to use either load as appropriate without physically adjusting the sights. More serendipity.

I then fired two series three fast shots from a tripod at 50 yards and they were all in the eight inch black bull. Now I can just go shooting with this load and practice, practice, practice, to be ready to pop a buffalo in RSA. :D
Last edited by crs on Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
Don McDowell

Re: Winchester 1895 .405 WCF ready for Africa

Post by Don McDowell »

Have fun.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Good hunting.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

About time to get that baby out there again.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope you have a great time. Are you hunting with Chris Troskie? Don't forget to call at least one credit card company and tell them you will be there so that they can unlock the card and you can purchase items if you need to. I am sure that 86er has let you know what you will need and won't need. I can recommend a good camera and good binoculars. Watch out for the sickle bush since it has thorns that can stab through your shoe easily. A Leatherman tool of something like it would be a good idea to carry for thorn removal.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks Piller for the tips. I am hunting with Chris Troskie, but we may not be based at his ranch.
The thorns there are much like in south Texas and one my first hunt in RSA, I wore bird hunting pants with the cordura thorn protection. I will be wearing similar thorn resistant long pants this trip and some tough soled hiking shoes that I have already worn in. Similarly, I will likely take the same binocs and camera as before. Good idea on the leatherman tool and it should fit nicely on my ammo belt.
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Thanks for the good luck wishes guys. And Old Savage, you are correct, it has been too long since the .405 killed game.
1894c

Post by 1894c »

that sounds like a ton of fun...old winchester...ancient cartridge...africa...very nice...can't wait to see the "after-action" report... :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Charles,

Good luck on the hunt. Sounds like you have the rifle dialed in. Take lots of pictures for us back home.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Those are impressive velocities with the Woodleigh 400! Should be more than enough for Mr. Mbogo.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Since we will be hunting in the N.E. section of South Africa the cape buffalo is known as Nyati. My old 450/400 3" DR shot the same .411/400 grain Woodleigh soft and solid at 2025 fps and it readily took buffalo, elephant, hippo and other animals over the years. CRS is getting a tad more velocity with the same bullet, so the animals are in trouble, no doubt.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Good Luck!
I am sending some early prayers up.
I know that round kills stuff,but when standing against a huge Cape Buff staring you down(that .405 just seems a little light) :lol: (for me)

Good Luck and stay on the good side of your PH having your back! :wink: and prayers sent for good shot placement whenever that time comes!
Practicing some sprints might not hurt either so you can out run him if needed :lol:
God Bless

ps----------How in heck are you getting that heavy of a bullet(400gr) going almost 2100fps out of a 405 Win.
Even today's loading that I am seeing only show that cartridge firing a 300gr at around 2200fps
Could see a 45-70 but a .405 Win. Would think that pressure to achieve that type velocity would be too much for a 1895 ?
Think you would have to seat the bullet excessively outward(for required case capacity)and might run bullet into the lands because of limited free bore?
Could see possibly a Ruger#1 taking that loading with that case/round(but even then)?
seasidehunter
Levergunner

Post by seasidehunter »

Good luck on the hunt - are you only after the Buff or anything else too?

expect to see pictures.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Griff wrote:Charles,

Good luck on the hunt. Sounds like you have the rifle dialed in. Take lots of pictures for us back home.
I second that motion.
Old Law Dawg
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

"Practicing some sprints might not hurt either so you can out run him if needed
God Bless"
GETTING THE BODY IN SHAPE MAY BE MORE WORK THAN WORKING UP THE RIGHT AMMO. :(

ps----------How in heck are you getting that heavy of a bullet(400gr) going almost 2100fps out of a 405 Win.
Even today's loading that I am seeing only show that cartridge firing a 300gr at around 2200fps
Could see a 45-70 but a .405 Win. Would think that pressure to achieve that type velocity would be too much for a 1895 ?
Think you would have to seat the bullet excessively outward(for required case capacity)and might run bullet into the lands because of limited free bore?"

OTHERS HAD DONE IT AND DOCUMENTED THEIR RESULTS, SO AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH, I WAS ABLE TO REPEAT THEIR SUCCESSES.
WRT THE WOODLEIGH BULLET LENGTH, THE 1895 .405 CHAMBER WAS EXTENDED JUST ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE CARTRIDGE CRIMPED ON THE CANNELURE. SEE BULLETS AND DUMMY LOADS BELOW- W SOFT, W SOLID, H DGS:

Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Charles

Did you do the "JudgeG" mods to get the longer OAL or are you making a new cannelure to crimp in? What is your OAL that will work in the bottom of the mag?
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

crs wrote:"Practicing some sprints might not hurt either so you can out run him if needed
God Bless"
GETTING THE BODY IN SHAPE MAY BE MORE WORK THAN WORKING UP THE RIGHT AMMO. :(

Think you would have to seat the bullet excessively outward(for required case capacity)and might run bullet into the lands because of limited free bore?"

OTHERS HAD DONE IT AND DOCUMENTED THEIR RESULTS, SO AFTER A LOT OF RESEARCH, I WAS ABLE TO REPEAT THEIR SUCCESSES.
WRT THE WOODLEIGH BULLET LENGTH, THE 1895 .405 CHAMBER WAS EXTENDED JUST ENOUGH TO CLEAR THE CARTRIDGE CRIMPED ON THE CANNELURE. SEE BULLETS AND DUMMY LOADS BELOW- W SOFT, W SOLID, H DGS:

A .405 Win shooting 400gr WOODLEIGHS at almost 2100fps (I am beyond impressed) (boy,I want one now) :mrgreen:

Absolutely super cool and that is what I consider surely reasonable for the big buff you are going to get.
How much cooler than taking one with a great old Winchester 1895 levergun in .405 Win.
I cannot wait to hear about this hunt(with a lot of pics)please!
You da man! :mrgreen:
Can just see that beautiful head mount now(with that fine gun resting on top the horns!)
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Leverluver,
The Judge G mod to chamber; crimp on the Woodleigh cannelure. No mods to the magazine.
I plan to load a 300 grain NF CPS or FPS first and then three Woodleighs on top of that.
If 1500 grains of bullets will not kill my buffalo, then the PH better jump in while I reload. :shock:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

have a lot of fun...and take a ton of pictures.....and good luck!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Well you have a great time. :D
crs wrote:Leverluver,
The Judge G mod to chamber; crimp on the Woodleigh cannelure. No mods to the magazine.
I plan to load a 300 grain NF CPS or FPS first and then three Woodleighs on top of that.
If 1500 grains of bullets will not kill my buffalo, then the PH better jump in while I reload. :shock:
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Leaving tomorrow for RSA to meet 4 other hunters and hunt for a while. Since I want to get away from work and relax some, no laptop and the Droid will be off until I return to JFK.
I hope to use one (or more if needed) of my 400 grain Woodies on a Cape Buffalo next week and if so, will have something to report upon return. :D
alnitak
Senior Levergunner

Post by alnitak »

Good luck in your hunt! Be safe! Sounds like you are loaded for... whatever!
"From birth 'til death...we travel between the eternities." -- Print Ritter in Broken Trail