Global warming?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Global warming?

Post by hightime »

Up here in the Northcountry we had moose , Lynx, and now we're getting turkeys and sand hill cranes. I saw ten of those cranes today and a dozen turkeys. The moose are disappearing. I hope the crane season will come. Teddy said they're good.

Owen
tomtex
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Global warming?

Post by tomtex »

I think this the start of Global Cooling, with a new Ice Age coming?
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Hightime, went to cabin on the 7th of this month and the snow was up to my knees, couldnt get up the driveway. We are by Big Falls. I can remember a couple times in the 1970's. During the November deer season it was in the 50's and 60's with no snow. Turkeys are welcome, just hope the possums and feral hogs dont make it up there.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Funny you should say that. I saw a possum as far up as Moose Lake last fall. Dead of course. They can't cross a road.

Owen
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Funny that you're talking about Sand Hill cranes. They're protected down here in Florida. You can be jailed for looking sideways at one, let alone shooting it. And believe me, many times I've wanted to pop one. They are all over my neighborhood and take their sweet time crossing the road. They are also loud as he** in the mornings ... particularly outside of my bedroom window.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

we are within 3" of all time record snow fall here. roofs collapsing on buildings. ice age? well, maybe, sure doesnt seem to be warming. zero last night, and we have several weeks of winter left. should easily get lot more snow and set all time snow fall record.
cable
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

We usually get hammered with snow(ordered 20 tons of anti-slip)for driveway and have the Yamaha 700 Grizz ready with snowplow.
This year-------------------Total================5"

Tomorrow will be 80 degrees :lol: :shock:
Today,lab was laying in the creek(only 75 degrees)

Right now at 9:30PM (68 and balmy)

Bears are out!
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

There is no question that global warming is happening.

It's been under way since the last ice age...

There is no good evidence that man's activities have had any effect.

A volcanic erruption spews way more toxic stuff into the atmosphere than we could do even if we tried. Meteor strikes.... air bursts..., etc. We are puny by comparisson.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

very true. and honestly we can all handle warming a lot better than an ice age!
cable
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

In the entire history and prehistory of mankind, it has been COLD that has darn near wiped us out several times. Warm times have always been when we've thrived. I say, bring it on, whatever the cause is! Nothing on Earth is constant but change, anyway. Nothing.
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

I heard it was deep in AK. But not so much in the lower 48. We just got our winter two weeks ago, and now it's gone. I put 450 miles on my sled in two weeks.

Owen
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

Sorry, but I just gotta....

It's been deep all over, with Washington, DC deepest of all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :P
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

Good to here. I wish I could have gone that far to ride sled. I've been to Idaho, MT, WY and all points between there and MN and It was half the snow or less. Northern MN was Brown 'til just a few weeks ago. Melted and now it's brown again. We had only one day when the temp was twenty below. Weird.
Anyway , when I was a kid, we never heard on wild turkeys.

Owen
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Here in the Pacific NortheWet, it's been the Pacific North Frozen this year....more cold, frosty, and snowy days than I can remember since 85 when I got here....A buddy sez that warming can do that: The ice caps melt, make more cold water that changes the weather. Whatever. I know man has nothing to do with it. The whole carbon footprint/AlGore deal is just a political/social upheaval to garner $$$ and power.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

just remind them that it takes a steam methane reformer burning oil and cracking methane at 1400oF to make hydrogen (plus a half-molar equivalent of CO2 - 60 times the mass of hydrogen produced) for their hydrogen-powered BMW, so that the carbon footprint of their hydrogen-powered BMW is six-times that of your gasoline p/u.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

bulldog1935 wrote:just remind them that it takes a steam methane reformer burning oil and cracking methane at 1400oF to make hydrogen (plus a half-molar equivalent of CO2 - 60 times the mass of hydrogen produced) for their hydrogen-powered BMW, so that the carbon footprint of their hydrogen-powered BMW is six-times that of your gasoline p/u.
And don't forget all the industrial drama to make the batteries, and the fuel it will take to make the electric to charge them up, which is mostly coal these days :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Idiots!!
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

hightime wrote:Funny you should say that. I saw a possum as far up as Moose Lake last fall. Dead of course. They can't cross a road.

Owen
Why did the chicken cross the road? to prove to the possum it could be done....
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

O.S.O.K. wrote:There is no question that global warming is happening.

It's been under way since the last ice age...

There is no good evidence that man's activities have had any effect.

A volcanic erruption spews way more toxic stuff into the atmosphere than we could do even if we tried. Meteor strikes.... air bursts..., etc. We are puny by comparisson.
So what you are trying to say is: we are really insignificant :P Guess I'll just go back to reloading and shooting when I get home; instead of Taking my Prius for a drive to help keep the air cleaner and save gasoline :roll: Hightime, how far you from the Hermantown bait and gunshop? Todd
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
bdhold

Post by bdhold »

hey, macro-climatologists are every bit as useful as cosmologists.
(though I still think Monty Python was way ahead of Carl Sagan on the meaning of life)

Companies can dump them grants to upgrade their green profile and offset corporate taxes.

The other new green industry is disposal of lead-acid batteries...
hightime
Senior Levergunner

Post by hightime »

You must be talking about Fisherman's Corner. I live 10 miles east of there. They are great. Prices are always less than Gander Mt. , also in Hermantown.

Owen
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Last year and the year before we had a lot of snow and ice in the Dallas area. This year was almost free of winter. We are getting a lot of rain lately.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Funny that you're talking about Sand Hill cranes. They're protected down here in Florida. You can be jailed for looking sideways at one, let alone shooting it. And believe me, many times I've wanted to pop one. They are all over my neighborhood and take their sweet time crossing the road. They are also loud as he** in the mornings ... particularly outside of my bedroom window.
We had 25 pairs of sandhill cranes roosting in my old hunt club....talk about loud!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS