A thank you to Jeff Quinn

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

A thank you to Jeff Quinn

Post by getitdone1 »

I just finished reading Jeff's article titled: "The Grand Old 30 WCF." Really enjoyed it and how it was written.

Want to thank Jeff--whose a member of this forum--for many great articles at his web site http://www.gunblast.com I've enjoyed a lot of them.

Don
Larkbill
Levergunner 3.0

Re: A thank you to Jeff Quinn

Post by Larkbill »

Thanks, I hadn't seen that article before, I really enjoyed it.

I have a confession to make. Until about 15 years ago I couldn't imagine why anyone with any gun "knowledge" would own a .30-30. I was born in 1951 so I was an impressionable youth reading current gun mags of the '60s and listening to my Dad's benchrest shooting friend. My only other reference at the time (Dad didn't hunt, had no interest in guns) was another of Dad's friends who was one of the Marines who lived through hell on Guadalcanal and until he passed on never hunted deer with anything but a Garand. My first centerfire rifle, bought when I was 15, was a Remington 600 in 6mm Remington. I should have also bought some hearing protection to go with it, but that's another discussion. I've owned several of the "smaller/faster" cartridge guns, never even considering the .30WCF. Then I started shooting IHMSA Silhouette. They had their share of "smaller/faster" cartridges also but I went with .30-30 in my 14" Unlimited barrel for my Contender. It made a believer out of me and when I had the chance to buy a Remington 788 in .30-30 I jumped on it. Then someone offered me a 94 for $175, not perfect but a nice enough shooter. Oh yeah, this is what it's all about. My youngest son learned to deer hunt with the 788 and still prefers it to this day. I don't hunt any more, but love putting together specialty ammo for the old .30. Cast bullets from 110 to 190 gr. ,spire point varmint loads, and recently some .30 Luger and Mauser pistol bullets. Very rare to find any load that doesn't shoot well in any of my platforms, it's such an easy going cartridge. These days the only other centerfire rifle cartridges I load are .22 Hornet (for the Contender) and 6.5X55 for my 1910 Carl Gustaf Swede. That's right, I'm officially an old guy with old ways.

Post by C. Cash »

Those Quinn boys are good uns for sure.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

C. Cash wrote:Those Quinn boys are good uns for sure.
As they say, "+1"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Don,

I took the liberty of editing your post so that the title links directly to the article.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
1894c

Post by 1894c »

Larkbill -- I totally agree with you on the 30/30. My Father told me that it was the only cartridge that I needed when I hunted in the Adirondack's--so I did, I shot and reloaded my 1980's Win.94AE Trapper for allot of years.

Then when I moved out west I thought that the 30/30 would be too small and weak to be effective (would just bounce right off deer)--I was wrong. Tried a bunch of different calibers, but in the end I have gone full circle. I presently own leverguns in 30/30 and .357-Magnum, been thinking about the 35 Rem, but just thinking... :)

PS--I also had a WWII vintage Marine Uncle who only hunted with his Garand...good habits die hard;
and as far as Jeff Quinn and Gunblast is concerned, one of the best...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Great read. I like the look of that Barnes bullet he's using as well.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Definately a good read! Gun Blast is one of my favorite websites and Jeff is one of the better writers for facts that I have found. This is one of the articles that I go back to everytime I have someone tell me that I need a new hunting rifle. My Marlin 336 in 30-30 is my favorite hunting rifle hands down. I have had a few others, but this one has a permanent place in my gunsafe and heart!

My favorite part of the article is below....

"To quote my friend and fellow Shootist Mic McPherson, who by the way is a genuine, credentialed, and well-published ballistics expert: "Those who cannot cleanly dispatch their game using a .30-30 are either shooting too far, hunting inappropriate (too large) game, or are simply incompetent." I think that he summed it up rather well. "
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I had to smile at this article and also to several of you levergunners comments. I too am guilty of not appreciating the 30-30. For years I lived in Oregon and hunted elk and deer. I firmly belived that even the 30-06 was way too little cartridge to seriousely kill. If it wasn't a 405 grain 45-70, a 300 Win mag. or a .348----forget it, useless. But I did sucuumb and buy a Marlin 30-30, then another and another, plus a 94 Win in 30-30, and now I am a believer too. Must have a wheel barrow full of ammo for those, and prolly will own yet one more someday. Great article.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:Great read. I like the look of that Barnes bullet he's using as well.
Totally agree. I still need to get a 1894. They're just a beautiful rifle.
Old Law Dawg
getitdone1
Senior Levergunner

Post by getitdone1 »

I'd like to emphasize what I said with my first post about Jeff Quinn. It's not just the truth he's saying--and that's saying a lot--but it's also the nice way he has of saying it. You know for sure you're reading the writings of a bonefied gun lover and that's definitely meaningful to the gun loving reader.

I don't know Jeff at all so there's no free advertising going-on here. Simply, a good job deserves recognition.

Don
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I had not seen that article either - very nice. I've shot--and loved--the ol' thutty-thutty for 45 years.