Texas Rangers and Leverguns

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
93marshooter
Levergunner 2.0

Texas Rangers and Leverguns

Post by 93marshooter »

I just returned from a great vacation in San Antonio. Down town is the "Buckhorn Solon and Texas Rangers Museum". It is a fascinating place with lots of individual displays to various Ranger captains and rangers over 150 years plus. The preferred rifle was some Winchester rifle. Every display had some lever gun as a primary arm. Most photos of Rangers had lots of lever guns. The 1895 Winchester was very popular during its time, until a semi auto rifle came along from Remington. I think the lever action rifle was for decades the only really reliable repeating arm even after the bolt action rifle came along for military use. I don't recall single bolt gun on display. Lots of colt single action 45s, 1911 colts, shotguns, and later Rangers used S&W DPS .357 mag revolver. http://www.buckhornmuseum.com
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Re: Texas Rangers and Leverguns

Post by gamekeeper »

That's COOL 8) I'd love to visit it one day.. :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
blackhawk44
Levergunner 2.0

Post by blackhawk44 »

And NEVER pass up a chance to visit the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco.
MrMurphy
Senior Levergunner

Post by MrMurphy »

The lever was the only reliable rifle IN AMERICA.

From the 1890s on, the bolt reigned supreme everywhere else.

There's always been a fair amount of NIH syndrome with guns in the US. I'd take a Mauser over most levers for a lot of different work, but in the 1870s/1880s America, the lever did rule the roost as the only real option.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

blackhawk44 wrote:And NEVER pass up a chance to visit the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco.
x2 on that (but i had to pass it up last time i was through there as i was heading north, -- stopping for a bit would have put me in Ft Worth traffic at 530-6 -- not bueno)

--- my trip there a couple of years ago really piqued my interest in the 1895 too --- a rifle i always thought was the mud duck of Winchester's levergun lineup.
I just thought that if these early day operators saw fit to trade up to the 1895 , there must be something to it --- (still haven't scratched the itch yet , maybe this year )

----- Doug
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Streetstar wrote:
blackhawk44 wrote:And NEVER pass up a chance to visit the Texas Ranger Museum in Waco.
x2 on that (but i had to pass it up last time i was through there as i was heading north, -- stopping for a bit would have put me in Ft Worth traffic at 530-6 -- not bueno)

--- my trip there a couple of years ago really piqued my interest in the 1895 too --- a rifle i always thought was the mud duck of Winchester's levergun lineup.
I just thought that if these early day operators saw fit to trade up to the 1895 , there must be something to it --- (still haven't scratched the itch yet , maybe this year )

Primary rifle for the Arizona Rangers as well. The look of the 1895 grows on you....wish we
could get our hands on a modern American made version of it. Good to see your post Blackhawk44.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Cool trip 8)
I`ve kick around getting another 95 but haven`t yet, i had a origanal in 30-40 20 years or so ago but like a fool sold it.
The Teddy one looks pretty cool.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
toby
Levergunner

Post by toby »

Do they still give out free beer at the end of the tour of the Buckhorn saloon? 30 years ago they did, but I haven't been back since.