Boise Id. Cabelas to close Elmer Kieth Display??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Les Staley
Levergunner 3.0

Boise Id. Cabelas to close Elmer Kieth Display??

Post by Les Staley »

Had a chance to visit the Elmer Keith Exhibit in the Cabelas in Boise Idaho.. Loved it!! Was put in a few years back.. organized by John Taffin and Elmer's son, I believe.. Now I've heard that it is not makeing any money, and the manager of the store is thinking about yanking it out.. While I was there, only noticed one or two other fellows there, both grey hair types like myself.. most of the kids don't even know who Elmer Keith was.. guess it's the way of things.. Les
This is plagiarized from someone else, but I love it!

I was born a gun owner.
It wasn't a choice.
I didn't become one later in life.
I was born this way.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Boise Id. Cabelas to close Elmer Kieth Display??

Post by C. Cash »

That would be a shame! This is separate from the Elmer Keith museum?
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I think it IS the Elmer Keith Museum and is in the Cabelas there.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Not making any money? Do they charge to look at it? How can they tell if anything asthetically in their stores is the source of a gun or equipment sale? Sounds like a manager that just wants more retail space, and looking for an excuse.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
yooper2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by yooper2 »

I've always wanted to get out West and if I did that display would be one of my stops. It would be a real shame if they closed it. My understanding is that the Elmer Kieth Museum was dead in the water until the Cabelas Store opened up out there. It could be awful tough to fund/find a place for the museum if Cabelas booted it.

Eric
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

What a LOAD of stuff. and it might get Me in trouble Here, but the fact remains that Elmer had more to do with real shooting/rifles/revolvers/hunting than any one gun writer in the last 90 years. Cabelas should build a store for Him. Elmer Keith is what the shooting/hunting sports are all about. and if You need to go to school on Shotguns read "Shotguns by Keith". End of Rant.
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

A couple of years back the family had to close and sell off most of the stuff in the Roy Rogers and Dale Evans museum. The new generation had no idea who they were and nobody came any more.

Cabelas has just so any square feet in the store, and each on has to earn it's keep. Darn shame, but that is the way of things. We lesser types will be forgotten by all but a very few when we have passed away. Time marches on!
willygene
Levergunner 2.0

Post by willygene »

they will probably make a shrine for some ar or other useless black gun that all the kids love these day's what a shame.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"Cabelas has just so any square feet in the store, and each on has to earn it's keep. Darn shame, but that is the way of things."
--Charles

BINGO!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
pdentrem
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdentrem »

I was thinking that it might be a good idea to forward this discussion to the president of cabelles if we can find the address for said person. Might be the stick that pokes the bees nest!
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

John Taffin posted on another forum(I can't recall which one) that they want to use the space for a deli.

It was on Gary Reeder's site.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

edwardyoung wrote:John Taffin posted on another forum(I can't recall which one) that they want to use the space for a deli.

It was on Gary Reeder's site.
Great! That's what I always think of when I think guns. Where's the closest deli! ;)
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Dawg
Levergunner

Post by Dawg »

This is not isolated by any stretch. Cabelas in Hoffman Estates Illinois, had a full second floor and it had an absolutely amazing display of African game mounts in beautiful diaramas, and they closed off the entire floor and consolidated all the retail space onto one floor. Why? Because other than guns and ammo sales, the rest of their sales have been lackluster, if not downright abysmal. The closure of the space was to lower the amount of $$$ taxation by the county, which is based on the active square footage of the business.

Folks that have good jobs are not being impacted by the failing economy, and the lies being portrayed on mainstream media about the "Recovery" are enough to satisfy the folks that still have good jobs. The 25% or so that are unemployed in this country can ill afford to go to Cabelas to purchase what is for them "Luxury" items these days. So corporate is looking to squeeze as much potential profit from what space they have to pay the overhead.

Gents, dont be lulled by the falsehoods and smoke and mirrors being utilized by Washington these days. We are in no recovery, and I think it will get worse before it really starts to get better.

Sad to see that the Elmer Keith museum has to be sacrificed. I hope it doesn't happen. I learned to shoot pistols at long ranges because of Elmer.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Dawg: well said about the economy!
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

It is a neat display but I can't imagine there is enough room to put a deli in that space. If they are worried about paying the bills I have a few suggestions:

1. Get rid of about 80% of the clothing in the store. The remaining 20% is actually stuff that would be used for hunting, fishing and camping.

2. Have some invetory of the items in the sales flyer. Selling out of 62 gr 223 ammo 2 hours after it goes on sale means someone was a sleep at the wheel.

3. Hire some knowledgeable people. Sales guy was befuddled at the difference between m855 mil spec ammo and 55 gr varmit ammo he said they were selling for the same price.

I hate to say it but I was much more impressed with Cabelas before they opened a store in Boise.

Chris