Final goodbyes when we leave this earth.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Final goodbyes when we leave this earth.

Post by J Miller »

We have lost several members where we knew about it fairly quickly.
With bufboys passing I can safely guess his wife didn't know about his membership here, or didn't know how to get on the forum without him.

I'm thinking it would be nice for us to put together an "In case of my death" letter to our spouses or friends listing all the forums we want advised of our passing. URL's, forum names and passwords too.
Then perhaps a CD with a personal so long that could be copied and pasted to the forum.

It would be a lot easier for those left behind to say our good buys that way if we can't.

Just an idea.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Final goodbyes when we leave this earth.

Post by Pitchy »

Good idea Joe and have done so, left instuctions to the wife to post a note if i crash one of my contraptions and depart this world.
And i hope i went doing somethin funny so everyone gets a chuckle too :wink: :lol:
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah,
I hope people say
Well, thats mescalero!
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Personally, I could care less. The last thing on my family's mind when I buy the farm is gonna be distant friends. Besides, they will be busy fightin' over my Winchesters and Colts. ----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Sixgun wrote:Personally, I could care less. The last thing on my family's mind when I buy the farm is gonna be distant friends. Besides, they will be busy fightin' over my Winchesters and Colts. ----------Sixgun

Me too. The good guns have been distributed (my family appreciates good firearms). No obituary, immediate cremation, a memorial Mass for those who wish to attend, brunch afterwards, and then dump the ashes in the Chickahominy. And definitely NO "celebration of the life of________"
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Airdaleman,
+ 1
no bovine scatology,
let me go
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Joe, I like the idea. No big eulogies for me by anyone either, but a mechanism to let folks know the basics. I've thought of it at least in my small personal circle as my modest will isn't a "tell all" that some folks need to know. I can see a somewhat less personal version for those in the next circle outside closest friends and family.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I've told daughter not to put me in a chapel ,or have some stranger tell lies about me. Set my ashes out, throw a party with lots of good music, and everyone have several stiff drinks. A few of you are on FaceBook and will pass the word, I'd imagine.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Good idea Joe. I've got some online friends I consider important, folks I would want to know if I was gone, and yeah, unless there was a list of forums and passwords, nobody would know how to do that. Gonna make one out and put it with my will, just in case.
Certified gun nut
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Pitchy wrote:Good idea Joe and have done so, left instuctions to the wife to post a note if i crash one of my contraptions and depart this world.
And i hope i went doing somethin funny so everyone gets a chuckle too :wink: :lol:
May as well go out in style... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Regarding what "they" should do with you when you croak - some of you guys don't seem to "get it". The services or funeral or celebration (or whatever the heck THEY choose to call it) isn't for YOU. You're DEAD. It's for those left behind and dealing with the pain of your loss. Let THEM make the call as to how best to proceed because it's about THEM and THIER pain - you aint got none any more nor should you have a high 'n mighty opinion on the matter in my view because no one has a less important vote than a dead man!

It's nice of you to think about those left behind Joe. Not the easiest thing to make happen but a short note would probably guide most computer savvy people without difficulty.

Oly
Last edited by olyinaz on Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Sixgun - that is "I couldn't care less." doesn't make sense the other way, let's get the grammar straight and :D What is this crack about distant friends. :( You didn't talk that way about Mrs. Ollogger in the whole 25-35 affair and I am sure we all want to be in on the fight for the Wins and Colts. Mrs. Six will likely want to sell off that iron and hit the Bermuda beaches and Vegas and all that. SO straighten up here Bucko ! :wink: Distant friends ????

No ashes for me - I want the bones dried and wired together in a skeleton so we can compare the xrays with the osseous anomalies and various breaks and orthopedic wiring.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

I understand what you fellers are saying here, and I'm sad to see folks who I've read for years to up and leave us for the Hereafter. It is a nice thought when someone posts their passing.

But here is my thought. I am terribly private. When I volunteered in a local high school for 8 or 9 years it was on the condition that I receive no acalades. When I donate money to a sports program it is on the condition that no one knows it was me. When I leave this earth it will be the same way and I just want to fade away, no fanfare. I've been on Leverguns since almost the very beginning with Paco and Jim. Must be close to 15 years maybe? Ever time the site went down I changed my name, let my old one fade away and started my post count over. If I up'n die, I want it to be the same way as I lived, privately and just fade away.

2x22
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Old Savage wrote: No ashes for me - I want the bones dried and wired together in a skeleton so we can compare the xrays with the osseous anomalies and various breaks and orthopedic wiring.
Or even better, they could drag you out every halloween and hang you on an oscillating hook so that your bones dance up and down at the local haunted house. :lol:

Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Maybe to say goodbye to passengers departing a flight. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

DixieBoy
Senior Levergunner

Post by DixieBoy »

OS - I like oly's idea about hanging your bones at the local haunted house (hey, it was YOUR idea) on Halloween. That way you could scare the local kids every year. :lol: Good gosh, we do have some characters here, don't we ? - DixieBoy
When the People Fear Their Government There is Tyranny; When the Government Fears the People There is Liberty.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Now Dixie Boy - I was thinking of it more as science. But - :) :shock: the troops will run with an idea now won't they. :wink:

smokenrust
Levergunner 2.0

Post by smokenrust »

Ok, I read a bunch of thoughts and yup make some of them plans ahead of time.
Got a few stories for all of ya.
An old lady's obituary showed up in the paper and it gave where the funeral was to be held. Many people showed up and when they got inside the door, they were met by the old lady herself Everyone was amazed and when they came in anwould say We thought you were dead and then wondered why. She said it didn't do her no good if she died and all her friends gathered together because she wouldn't be able to talk to them. So she would say this was her funeral and when she did die, that they need not come... A short while later she passed away and the church was packed. They came even when then the old gal had told them that they need not come.
AJMD "May as well go out in style... " The local undertaker told of one funeral that an old boy that had cancer came in and paid cash for a very expensive casket and he paid for a big celebration and had the whole list made up of what he wanted done. Big lavish drunken spree with live band party ... He wasn't exactly a homebody type fellow and had a wife that was not about to divorce him either. Well he died and the wife asked the undertaker if the plans he made were binding and being she was now the heir and living spouse, she had the last words to say. She said the cheapest way of making ashes of him and he asked what urn did she want, she said she had a glass canning jar and if that would do and It would. She posted in the paper that he was deceased and that there would be no memorial or funeral. She took the ashes home and dumped them into his cigerette ash stand. Only memorial there was , was his drinking buddies down at the bar held an improptue hoist of drinks in memory of him and they had to pay for their own drinks and put their own quarters into the jukebox. End of his story.
Yup, pine box and bury me quick don't stick that nasty fluid in me...
(discloser) Not a gunsmith, just a tinkerer at heart, it gets me into trouble, When I take it apart...
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

As to why, I just always felt it was rude to leave friends without saying good bye. I may or may not be going to a better place, but at least I can tip my hat and wave on the way out the gate when the time comes, just to let folks know they were my friends, not strangers I could give a hoot about.
Certified gun nut
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

I am lucky...I have good family, friends, and neighbors....I don't need no stinkin' forums. :lol:
Behind every sucessful rancher is a wife with a job in town.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I think it would be nice to tell those who know you from online.

However, I think it should be done individually, have your executrix log on for you and post a message. We already have a whole forum for goodbyes and tributes, let's use that.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Nice idea. I need to print out my passwords and put them in the safe. This is the only place outside of family where I care.

And I agree with the above sentiment that any services after my passing should be at the discretion of those left behind. When I'm done with this vehicle that carries my soul, y'all can treat it as you will. I don't believe I'll have any ties to it.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Here's what Joe is hoping for:

"hello... uh this is O.S.o.K's wife. He wanted me to do this - to let you know that he's gone. He said to say good by. Also, now that he's gone, what do I do with all of these guns? I want them to go to a good home so please let me know if you want them"

:lol: JUST KIDDING JOE! :lol:

And no, I'm still here! So no PM's about the guns - read carefully... :lol: :lol:

And this will never happen... my kids will be getting them all accept for what the wife needs on the homestead. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Old Savage wrote:Sixgun - that is "I couldn't care less." doesn't make sense the other way, let's get the grammar straight and :D What is this crack about distant friends. :( You didn't talk that way about Mrs. Ollogger in the whole 25-35 affair and I am sure we all want to be in on the fight for the Wins and Colts. Mrs. Six will likely want to sell off that iron and hit the Bermuda beaches and Vegas and all that. SO straighten up here Bucko ! :wink: Distant friends ????

No ashes for me - I want the bones dried and wired together in a skeleton so we can compare the xrays with the osseous anomalies and various breaks and orthopedic wiring.

O.S, You're a smart one so I must choose my words carefully.

Your right, I should have said "I could care less". :D Now that I'm on a roll, I declare that I don't give a flying F. :D

Ms. Ologger is a very special person and one of high perception and intelligence. She loves animals in a way that if the rest of us did, there would be no world problems. Animals, unlike people, don't lie and deceive. They are better than people which leaves me to the next issue, which is.......

When the average Joe dies, people (immediate family excluded) all pretend to cry and how "great he/she was", when in reality, the only thing they are concerned about is what they can get out of the deal or possibly feeling great because now they know that the immediate family of the deceased are hurting and are always asking questions like, "I wonder how they are going to pay the mortage" and the next question is, Now that he's dead, I wonder what they are going to do with his car...or guns....or tools.... :wink: The aggressive ones usually make a house call a week or two after the death to express their condolences, then they suck 'em in with sympathy and soon ask, "Can I buy Joe's guns or maybe his car"?

Not everyone feels this way but the majority of people do and that is why I think Tami-Lynn (Ms. Olloger) is one of the greatest on Earth, along with my wife, because the only thing we/they are concerned about are the welfare of animals, which by the way are dependent on people for their comfort and wellbeing.

Whatever happens to me is only going to concern my immediate family. The rest are vultures waiting for the scraps. I'm not saying you guys are vultures, I'm saying people in general are, therefore, I Could care less :D I would not be hanging around here since day 1 if I thought you guys were AH's but...........there sure are many around here, there, at work, with family members included.

Besides, if Mrs Six wants to play with the guns and pee it all away, so be it as I robbed most of 'em from their former owners. See? Vulture? Me??? :D :D :D --------------------------------------------Sixgun

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah Six - ya got me laughin' on that one - good thing I didn't have coffee.

But, as usual, you have a lot to say there. I have seen that side of it but I have seen more of people who care and want to help. My mother had a big family - lots of deaths there since they are all gone and nobody has a monopoly on the market of feelings and views there. Animals - think about that - they eat their young and the young of others. There is all kinds of behavior in nature and a lot of it is not pretty. People here - lot of involvement with the interactive group and Buffboy was a good one. I certainly want to know about him and what happened to him. I recall the shot of his wife with a big deer in the back of a pick up in her Carhartts and a Savage 99. I felt a loss in hearing about him but also enjoyed knowing more about him. Ms. Ollogger has spent a good part of her life caring for prey animals and it was a fine thing for you to sell her that 25-35. Great connection there and for all in the 25-35 club. But then it is quite obvious that you are in the heart of gold club even if the talk today is about vultures. :) Oh, I should have said irregardless - or is it regardless.
Last edited by Old Savage on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

IIRC there is (or was) a service out there that reminds & requires you to log in every month or however long you set it for and if you don't it sends out an email to designated parties to see if you are still on this side of the dirt.

If there isn't any more, I may just start such a service.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Pitchy wrote:Good idea Joe and have done so, left instuctions to the wife to post a note if i crash one of my contraptions and depart this world.

:lol: :lol: :D

Hey,
I told my wife this idea, she laughed and said SCREW EM! Its because of them stuff is only half done around here and also maybe I can then actually use the computer. :evil:

Ok---------------settle down/just kidding. :D
But just in case she ain't, I will say a pre-good by right now! (BUY :cry: LOVE YOU GUYS :oops: :cry: :( ) in case (I do go to the happy rifle range early) :cry: :(

Joe, actually a good idea though!
Last edited by madman4570 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Told the wife to take a picture of my grave with arrows stuck all around it and a picture on my headstone of me flippin them off and post it. :lol:

Naw really the wife and i decided to be creamated and that we would just set the ashes up on the mantle until the other passed then the world can do what they want with them.

I think most guys here would like his friends to know that they won`t be back instead of having people worry about where they went.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cowboykell wrote:I am lucky...I have good family, friends, and neighbors....I don't need no stinkin' forums. :lol:

That may be true but I'll tell you what you do need. You need to take some math lessons because your only supposed to hit the "enter" button once when you submit your post------retart--------------Sixgun

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Use the picture of you in the galvanized bath tub with the arrows everywhere - that'll make the devil think twice.

Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

J Miller wrote:We have lost several members where we knew about it fairly quickly.
With bufboys passing I can safely guess his wife didn't know about his membership here, or didn't know how to get on the forum without him.

I'm thinking it would be nice for us to put together an "In case of my death" letter to our spouses or friends listing all the forums we want advised of our passing. URL's, forum names and passwords too.
Then perhaps a CD with a personal so long that could be copied and pasted to the forum.

It would be a lot easier for those left behind to say our good buys that way if we can't.

Just an idea.

Joe

I have thought of this several times. Its a good idea. If someone was to just stop posting no one would really have a clue what went wrong unless someone else knew and said so.
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Hey 6 gun - at least I know a restored rifle when I see it.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

OS
It's regardless
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Yes, I know just through that in for some humor - glad to see you are on board - my wife is a bit of a wordsmith and they seem now to be accommodating common mistakes but I think that has always been the case in the morphing of the language with some words meaning the opposite of what the once did.

I had the same teachers that my dad had had and they were retiring behind me and were big on usage in the 50s diagramming sentences and all. My wife is a stickler on the language and had all that too.

madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Told my wife, if I die pretty soon(please cremate me)keep ashes in a nice pretty little container.

Keep it in her bathroom and everyday take a little(me) and mix it in with her Victoria Secrets over all body lotion.

If we age a lot more before I go then we will see how she ages (might change my plan) :oops: :D
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The language is constantly in state of evolution and the outcome is uncertain.
A lot of the old rules are falling into disuse, however pop culture bastardazation of the language should not be suffered gladly.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

You know your head is screwed on crooked enough to keep a man sane! I'll miss you but I'll chuckle!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Not a bad idea. But... as far as implementing it? We'll see.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

cowboykell wrote:Hey 6 gun - at least I know a restored rifle when I see it.

To quote Mitt Romney, 'ya got 10g's that my 1873 ain't a 100% original gun. Put up or shut up. :D :D ---------Sixgun

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

As far as my earthly remains, I've told the wife to take them somewhere out in the AZ desert and burry them on top of a hill / mountain somewhere that you can look in every direction and not see a single soul.
That's probably illegal, but screw 'em.

I've been here since this forum was formed. Invited in actually, although I forget by who. I feel that I owe it to the members of the forum to at least say good bye. That way Mescalero won't be pulling up an old thread and saying hey, where you been ........ just teasing Mescalero.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
cowboykell
Levergunner 2.0

Post by cowboykell »

Easiest 10 g's I would ever make....what is neat about the gun business is the occasional dummy that has more money than brains. Nice double post....how do you say it..... "retart"
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Hey there! There's something wrong with the system! I never double post. If it makes you feel any better, maybe thats what happened to your post. :D

Beings that I ain't seen the 10 g's yet, I'll put it down to 5 g's---if there's that much money in N.D. :D -----------Sisxgun

Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Gasp: mortally wounded ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
:lol:
thats what I get for looking for an old post
go back far enoughand you get to see what Blaine's old handle was :shock: :o :lol:
stew71
Senior Levergunner

Post by stew71 »

I'm going die in my 80's shot dead by a jealous 30-something husband who came home early.

With the help of Viagra, that's the plan anyways. :wink:
Some people just need a sympathetic pat on the head.....with a hammer. Repeatedly.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

J Miller wrote:As far as my earthly remains, I've told the wife to take them somewhere out in the AZ desert and burry them on top of a hill / mountain somewhere that you can look in every direction and not see a single soul.

I've been here since this forum was formed. Invited in actually, although I forget by who. I feel that I owe it to the members of the forum to at least say good bye. That way Mescalero won't be pulling up an old thread and saying hey, where you been ........ just teasing Mescalero.

Joe
You better move your butt to AZ someday :wink: You're gonna be mad if you die in that hell-state Ill.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

J Miller wrote:As far as my earthly remains, I've told the wife to take them somewhere out in the AZ desert and burry them on top of a hill / mountain somewhere that you can look in every direction and not see a single soul.

Joe
Joe you need to slim down a little, I can just see the little woman dragging your carcass miles across the desert in the 120 degree heat and then up the side of a mountain.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

El Chivo wrote:

Joe
Joe you need to slim down a little, I can just see the little woman dragging your carcass miles across the desert in the 120 degree heat and then up the side of a mountain.
I'll bet no one's ever seen that many ashes in one spot before :P :P

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

BlaineG wrote:

Joe
You better move your butt to AZ someday :wink: You're gonna be mad if you die in that hell-state Ill.
Blaine,
You sure got that right!!
El Chivo wrote:

Joe
BlaineG wrote:
El Chivo wrote:

Joe
I'll bet no one's ever seen that many ashes in one spot before :P :P
That's what wheel barrels and 5 gallon cat litter buckets are for :twisted:

Joe
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Joe,
I have a spot, you can look 75 miles across nothing, big valley; just like you would like.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I already told my fiancee to set a match to me and then divide the ashes in thirds !

I want one third on the piece of property I'm sitting at in Virginia as I type this , one third to be dropped somewhere on the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge in Dorchester County Maryland and the final third to be dumped on a spot of her choosing in the Philippines !
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !