Which semi auto carbine would you buy?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Which semi auto carbine would you buy?

Post by rjohns94 »

I love the M-4 version of the AR family of rifles. However, am thinking that the gas piston system is a define step up for reliability and function. I also like the SCAR platforms. fN makes them and I saw a bushmaster version today. So what I would like to know is your opinions of the gas piston operated AR platforms and SCAR platforms?
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Which semi auto carbine would you buy?

Post by 2ndovc »

I have a Colt Sporter Lightweight that I bought in '93 and have run a few thousand rounds through it without a single malfunction. Only cleaned the gas tube twice. I almost sold it after the first time I shot it, 6" groups at best. Did a little research and switched from 55 gr bullets to 62 gr and heavier. Much better. @ 2" at 100 yds. With a light 16" bbl.
Love that thing.

I also have an SA SOCOM 16, the first version W/O the rail. This one extends my engagement range far beyond my AR and is wicked accurate.

I'd like to pick up one of the FN's, I fired one that a friend owns but there's others higher up the list.

My thinking is if the AR's and M 14s are working in those sand pits over seas then they should work in just about anything we could run into here..

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I have a Daewoo AR 100,
it is 3 times the gun my CAR 15 is.
Ask Buffalo Boy, he had one and sold it; been kicking himself ever since.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

It's a toss up between a Winchester 1907 or the 1910. :)
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Kel-tec folder in 223 or 9mm.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I believe that everybody should have an AR type rifle in 5.56. Exactly what you have that takes M16 magazines in 5.56 is a matter of personal opinion and not really important. However, I think it is important that you get one now.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I'm not really sold on the piston driven AR. The gas impingement models (standard AR) are more accurate and very reliable.

Buy a standard AR of your choice and a good quality AKM as a back up. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

The Daewoo has an AK gas system.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well, you know, since you are one of my chief enablers here, all I have to say is...

Get them all!!! :wink:
ving-thorr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ving-thorr »

I have a buddy who swears by the robinson armament XCR. I'm partial to a plane jane ar-15 of M-4 dimensions though myself. I'm waiting for the dust to settle on the whole piston driven AR thing. Gas impingement has always worked just fine for me. I have another buddy with a sig 556, go ahead and cross that one of your list, balances like a M249 SAW, and shoots as accurately as your average Mini-14. Seems like he's always replacing broken parts too.
The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the defense of my life; Whom shall I dread?
Psalms 27:1
kaschi
Levergunner 3.0

Post by kaschi »

I'd go with an AK in 7.62x39 if the choice were limited to one rifle. They're reliable, simple and ammo and magazines are cheap/abundant. With about 50 million examples in the world, the design has really proven itself. If you are not limited to one carbine, get an AR too. Mags for it are also plentiful as is ammo. Whatever you buy, get spare parts, extra mags and lots of ammo.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Well, the traditional AR platform has been going strong for decades before the piston systems came along --- i think the SCAR and ACR (Magpul Massoud ) are the next "logical" progression rather than the 50 year old AR platform for our nation's longer term military needs,

but for guys like most of us on this board? -- ( people who like quality firearms and don't mind cleaning them occasionally) -- the traditional AR is still pretty nice for its intended use. It will be carried in harm's way for a long time until the assimilation of a new platform is complete.

Judging from some of the trick stuff you seem to come across though, i would expect no less if you were getting a small bore "battle rifle" ---
Colt makes 'em best for rack grade carbines -- their 6920 and 6940 are solid products, -- but if ya want something a little more aesthetically pleasing, LaRue and Noveske make very sweet traditional AR's with varmint rifle accuracy.
But, if you like cresting the wave, -- an ACR or a SCAR may be what ya want -- but reportedly, the accuracy potential is not there yet --- (reportedly 2" groups off a bench -- battle rifle accuracy, basically --better than most AK's outside of a Valmet, but not up to what some of the old tech AR's are capable of ) --
----- Doug
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

I have a carbine with gas impingement, by DPMS. It has the A1 style carrying handle. No problems with it, and I have a little thing to add a scope mount while still having iron sights for backup. I need to get a simple, but good, scope for it. I am planning on how to save up for an extra upper and the parts to convert it to 6.8 SPC or 7.62x39.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Hobie wrote:I believe that everybody should have an AR type rifle in 5.56. Exactly what you have that takes M16 magazines in 5.56 is a matter of personal opinion and not really important. However, I think it is important that you get one now.
+1 and they need at least one.....and maybe a spare! :)

i have an sp-1 car15 that dates to about 1975, and two from the late 80s/early 90s

and well, errr, a few more......never had a problem though i certainly wouldn't mind one of the new types. the little carbines for me is the go to gun if i had to defend myself tonight.

i do like the CAR configuration 308 as well, and the one i have is amazing. but the little lightweight carbine is like an extension of my arm.
cable
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I've never had a problem with the original gas system or have I personally ever known anyone that had problems with it as it was first designed.

The biggest problem I have seen in rifles that use the step barrels is their tendency to become less accurate as the barrel heats up. As I understand the only reason for the step is that it serves as a place to mount a grenade launcher. If I'm not going to mount the launcher I don't need a way to mount one and I don't need the handicap that comes with it. As far as I'm concerned as long as you stay away from that step barrel, everything else is OK.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Hey Mike another one to check out if you're looking for something very small and light is the FN PS 90. I put a bunc of mags through one a couple summers ago. Talk about a litte evil demon. Points very naturally (for me) and those little rounds really tear the snot out of stuff.
Those 50 round mags are something else, though we're only allowed to have 30 rounders here in OH.

This one has been on my short list for awhile the only reason I haven't bought one is the whole commitment to another cartridge and stack of spare mags.

That's what I really love about the ARs and AKs. Magazines are everywhere and cheap.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Mike - I have 7 LWRC piston carbines in the safe. We used them for 2 years and they have fired 3500 rounds each. They have 3 position switches and they shoot fast and get hot! Not one of them was ever cleaned, just wiped off. One of them had short feeding with a light bolt close and another failed to lock open one time. They all got a cleaning and 200 more rounds each without a failure. I am not an AR guy - I like them but don't know a lot about the differences as I just don't have that much interest. However, I must say the LWRC's have worked better than expected and from various feedback I have gotten they are as good as any and better than most brands others have told me personal experiences about. On features and price alone I would have looked at Ruger and Sig Sauer, but LWRC got a contract. With that in mind, I have a S&W M&P 15 standard that cost just over $500. I've put 1000 rounds through it (it has a 2 postition switch). It is under moa accurate at 100 yds and hasnt hiccupped. I cleaned this one once at 250 rounds. It is due for another one. Obviously, this is a g-i system not a piston. Works good but gets dirtier. Good luck picking!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
veeman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by veeman »

My only semi auto is an M1 Garand. Next one will likely be a M1 Carbine.
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

My thoughts lie along the lines of an AK type, possibly using the 5.56 NATO even though the old 7.62X39 has more umph out to 300 yards or so.

The direct gas impingement is a negative to me (not specifically for me, but in general use by those around me), in that it requires quite a bit more maintenance and is the single biggest factor of the AR's not being a good shoot and throw under the log type gun.

That being said, the newer versions using the HK416 short stroke gas piston design on the AR's turns that all around.

The only reason I can see using the 5.56 cartridge though, is for availability in a S*TF social scenerio and if domestic. The old 7.62 is just as readily available commercially right now and cheaper. My last inventory count showed enough of tins of both to burn out barrels so parts availabilty might have something to do with the decision.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Rusty wrote:The biggest problem I have seen in rifles that use the step barrels is their tendency to become less accurate as the barrel heats up. As I understand the only reason for the step is that it serves as a place to mount a grenade launcher.
Yep. When I bought a "Colt Target Sporter" (no evil bayonet lug), I took off the handguards, and the barrel was the hourglass-shaped one that is inaccurate, but allows grenade launcher mounting... :roll: I ordered an accurate replacement barrel, and my non-gun-owning friends at work were shocked when it came in the mail, labeled "Bushmaster barrel, heavy machine-gun type"; as if the anti-gun nuts don't have enough to get freaked out about - the terminology we use is strange...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Well, Y'all know which way I went with Erma.

No Gas system and 7.62 NATO: (PTR 91-GI/HK 91 Para) with collapsing stock.

Yes, she's heavier, but I can take a knee and ring a 12" gong @ 300m all day with just the irons... and 600m with glass is not too far of a stretch.

Plus, with no gas system I'm not stressed about shooting corrosive (or BP for that matter....)

Mags are about $1/ea. I bought 8 mags, 4 dual mag pouches, an HK G3 cleaning kit, and a MOLLE vest for the pouches all for less than $30.

It eats any .308 ammo you may happen to find without needing to adjust anything, from MilSpec to Federal Low Recoil soft point, so it is also a totally viable hunting gun too (5 rnd mags are available)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Hobie wrote:I believe that everybody should have an AR type rifle in 5.56. Exactly what you have that takes M16 magazines in 5.56 is a matter of personal opinion and not really important. However, I think it is important that you get one now.
Yepper, Praise the Lord and pass the ammo :wink:
Like my Bushy M4
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Mike,
Dude I know how you are! (you want quality and probably like me(or I was)want overkill.
You want something built like a tank and does everything but fix you dinner :lol:
Lets put it this way(don't see you buying a Craftsman chainsaw but I do a Pro Stihl saw.

Mike----One thing as I age is I am starting to view tradeoffs a lot more.
What I mean is (what am I really going to be doing with this gun??)

I was always overkill on stuff.
I got Colt AR's (I mean the Match Comp ARs)--ya they are nice guns.
I got AK47's----yep they are nice,have some good things/bad things
I got SKS's----Not bad for just in case gotta grab something
I got a Ruger Mini too----its ok
I have to say----Each person requires different things.
I have found that after all these guns/models/cost etc.
Isn't it funny the gun I have found that kicks all my others in the a## is a inexpensive kel-Tec
Why?????/
Well,the SU16-C is built like a tank(it's barrel is at least as heavy as a Ruger Mini-14)its accurate
The gun has an extremely overkill AR15 bolt(heavier than my comp Colts)
The gun has the operating design of the AK47(it will shoot a shoe if you can stuff it in it)
It has Everything I want NOW in a gun(cause I am carrying one EVERYDAY(2-3hrs)not sitting home at my old place just guessing???
The gun has the use of the polymers where they need to be and the steel where it needs to be.(people use to laugh about Glock too)

It's light (in the 4LB range) Where in the HE## can you get a gun with all this in the 4LB range :lol:
It folds right now and unfolds right now.(fit it in a 2foot bag)and shoot it WHILE FOLDED out of that 2 foot bag.
Yes, Its shoots FOLDED.
It more accurate than my Ruger/AK47/SKS and not really that much behind my Colts(about 7 tenths of an inch behind)
If it shoots 10,000 rds (which I have absolutely no doubt)I will take that trade off for all its other attributes.

For me-------carrying a 4lb accurate/foldable/tough AR/AK hybrid is far my best choice(price is not even factored in)

Hate to say it----but Kel-Tec is thinking out of the box and coming up with stuff that others have not had a dream about.
But that is just my thought process.
All I know is I have changed(a ton) in what I view as what I need)
and a 4LB AR/AK hybrid shooting 53gr ballistic tips at 3200+fps(works well)
Good luck!
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Thanks for the info on the Kel-tec, I always wondered about that one.
Might be in the future for me.
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

My AR crazy buddy used to recommend sticking with ABC ARs: Armalite, Bushmaster and Colt. 10-15 years ago he added D to the list with DPMS. Recently he built a 6.8SPC using mainly Stag components IIRC and has had no issues.

I only had one "failure" with my issued M4. I volunteered to do the ammo burn off after an FTX (can't bring any back or we won't get as much for the next exercise :roll: ) which came to about 800 rounds of blanks. Doing mag dumps as fast as possible on burst led to feed issues for the last few mags but as dirty as blanks are, I didn't see it as a problem.

I've assembled a couple of civilian ARs (5.56 and 9mm) that were cantankerous but the problems were mag related (5.56) and a poor conversion (9mm that took STEn mags).

I'm to the point that I want to get back into the AR and one thing I'm looking at is a piston conversion kit. The complete kit is around $300 but even buying/building a DI and converting it would be cheaper than buying a built piston driven weapon. At least it was when I started pricing things out a while back. The upside (IMO) is if I didn't like the piston system I could convert it back to DI and sell the kit.

Moving past the AR series, the options are wide open depending on your budget. In the sub-$500 range are the 7.62 AKs and the 5.45 AKs (my preference). The 5.56 AKs will run a little (?) more and don't have the same surplus mag availability as the 7.62/5.45 series (at least they didn't when I was looking several years ago). An AK (especially the 7.62) is never going to be as inherently accurate as an AR. The Soviet standard for accuracy with the 7.62 AK was a 6" group at 100m. Understand and accept that and you'll be a lot happier than someone expecting it to be a bug hole, varmint class shooter.

If you want to stick with the 5.56, the Daewoos are good (spare parts are drying up from what I have heard over the past 10 years though), the FNC is an option (fragile firing pins are the weak link) as is the Galil from Century (my second place pick if an AR is not wanted). Then there's the Valmet which is an AK/AR hybrid but SPENDY! :shock:

Moving to .308 my preference is the FAL and then the HK/CETME. I have yet to fire an M1A so I can't comment.

The SCAR, etc are just too rich for my blood. I simply can not understand where the major improvement is to justify the stupefying (IMO) price.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Yeah, thats why I have spare parts, the gas piston operating rod being the main concern, but I have an extra.
edwardyoung
Levergunner 2.0

Post by edwardyoung »

I have an Armalite AR180-B. Any opinions on these? I traded a CZ-97B for it that I had $300 in. I didn't know anything about them, except that it was made by Armalite and took AR mags. I didn't figure I could go wrong. Jeff Quinn liked the one he reviewed. That was good enough for me. Thanks
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Thanks guys. Lots of great info here. Here is what I chose: the LMT CQBPS16. Basically an M4 variant, with gas piston system. This rifle even came with a torque wrench to tighten bolts after disassembly I liked the barrel (not the hour glas version) but a straight heavy 16" barrel. The upper is monolithic quad rail so nothing to rattle. The stock is collapsable and has a very comfortable shape for check weld. Came with an extra 5 mags. I mounted my surefire scout light on the right rail with rail guards installed on left, right, lower rails. On top is an EOTech sight with pop up front and rear sights made by Yankee hill. Of the 7 AR platforms I have owned, this one feels the best of all of them. 200 rounds down range, out of the box with no FTF. Accuracy is top notch. Needless to say I'm very pleased. I will be looking for some ground hogs this spring with this one. :wink: :D
Last edited by rjohns94 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Grats Mike, pics?
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Pitchy, I will get them posted. Took some but have to get them transferred
Mike Johnson,

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Pitchy wrote:Grats Mike, pics?
rjohns94 wrote:Pitchy, I will get them posted. Took some but have to get them transferred
7 minutes is enough time. Where are the pics? :mrgreen:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
rodeo kid
Levergunner 3.0

Post by rodeo kid »

I agree with Hobie, everyone should have an AR and 4 30 rd mags. As he said get it now! And I also feel you should get an AK-47 or AK-74, just in case your AR ever stops, the AK won't. And they cost a lot less. God Bless.
Member : NRA
Oklahoma Rifle Assoc.
NPPAS

TRUISM: if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. So, my advice is: Buy more guns!
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Sounds like a great gun and will suit your needs Mike!
Congrats! :wink:
Meeteetse
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Meeteetse »

I go against the grain on this one. There is nothing wrong with the AR type rifles but they are not of my generation. I grew up in the M1/M14 era and I still like them. Are there hundreds of add-on parts and accessories available for them. NO, but I don't own them because of what they need. I own my guns because of what they can do for me. Accordingly I own a M1A Springfield Scout (.308) and two Ruger Mini-14 (.223) and they are just fine. They all operate in the same basic way and they all shoot very well. The mags are more expensive but I have been doing this for a while and have all I need. Each month I gather more ammo and I practice. What could be better than that?
All it takes for tyranny to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

Previous member of Mr. Kelly's forum.
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

I have had as many as 8 AR-15....SP-1, H-Bars, Bushmaster, Beowolf 50, Colt Sporter 7.62 all DI but my favorite AR type is the SIG 556 Classic....I don't need rails etc and it shoots great......Folding stock, flat top and no buffer ping every time I touch off......for AKs the Henderson Defense 5.45, and 7.62 are great shooters....I have 2 Polish underfolders that BOTH had to go back to Century as neither worked, but do now but the most rugged is the Tantel and the AKs are much easier to keep clean esp with corrosive 5.45 ammo
The 762x39 is a more potent round, but the 5.56 is here to stay....love it or hate it....I still feel we (USA) need to field a better round as past and current experience in Afganistan shows the problems with the 5.56

Bulgarian AK-74

Tantel and Romanian AK-47
mike@nds
Levergunner

Post by mike@nds »

kevin in nh wrote:I have had as many as 8 AR-15....SP-1, H-Bars, Bushmaster, Beowolf 50, Colt Sporter 7.62 all DI but my favorite AR type is the SIG 556 Classic....I don't need rails etc and it shoots great......Folding stock, flat top and no buffer ping every time I touch off......for AKs the Henderson Defense 5.45, and 7.62 are great shooters....I have 2 Polish underfolders that BOTH had to go back to Century as neither worked, but do now but the most rugged is the Tantel and the AKs are much easier to keep clean esp with corrosive 5.45 ammo
The 762x39 is a more potent round, but the 5.56 is here to stay....love it or hate it....I still feel we (USA) need to field a better round as past and current experience in Afganistan shows the problems with the 5.56

Bulgarian AK-74

Nice rifles, are you running my receivers? :D

As far as AR's go:

lots of lube !!!

and good mags will take care of any reliabity issues.
COSteve
Advanced Levergunner

Post by COSteve »

Deleted
Last edited by COSteve on Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
Retired and Living the Good Life
No Matter Where You Go, There You Are
deafrn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by deafrn »

I don't care for semi auto long arms, but understand the reason why everyone should have at least one that will be relatively easy to feed and fix. So-o-o...

Daniel Defense M4v3. The best general-purpose AR I have had to date.
deafrn

"I wasn't ignoring you, I just couldn't hear you. Okay, NOW I'm ignoring you."
kevin in nh
Levergunner 1.0

Post by kevin in nh »

mike@nds wrote:
kevin in nh wrote:I have had as many as 8 AR-15....SP-1, H-Bars, Bushmaster, Beowolf 50, Colt Sporter 7.62 all DI but my favorite AR type is the SIG 556 Classic....I don't need rails etc and it shoots great......Folding stock, flat top and no buffer ping every time I touch off......for AKs the Henderson Defense 5.45, and 7.62 are great shooters....I have 2 Polish underfolders that BOTH had to go back to Century as neither worked, but do now but the most rugged is the Tantel and the AKs are much easier to keep clean esp with corrosive 5.45 ammo

Bulgarian AK-74

Nice rifles, are you running my receivers? :D

As far as AR's go:

lots of lube !!!

and good mags will take care of any reliabity issues.
The ones you see all have NDS.....the 2 polish underfolders have Global.....they came back with Global but both work fine......but NDS are to me the best and work like a watch.....no hick-ups with these rifles
jcw
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jcw »

Mescalero wrote:I have a Daewoo AR 100,
it is 3 times the gun my CAR 15 is.
Ask Buffalo Boy, he had one and sold it; been kicking himself ever since.
Had the AR 100 and traded it for a Garand. Should have never used it for trading material.
Chris83716
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Chris83716 »

M4's made by Windham Weaponry are on sale next week at Cabelas. Windham is run by the former owner and employees of Bushmaster that stayed in Maine. They looked good enough for me to buy one.

Chris
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

jcw,
I guess only those who have had one really know what they are.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

LMT is a very solid choice. Great stuff
----- Doug
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

2ndovc wrote:Only cleaned the gas tube twice.
Cleaning the gas tube isn't even a user maintenance requirement. It's an armorers job if it gets that bad. If it won't become plugged with thousands of rounds of blanks through a barrel completely sealed by a blank adapter that forces all the dirty blank gases through the tube, it won't plug up period. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

sore shoulder wrote:
Cleaning the gas tube isn't even a user maintenance requirement. It's an armorers job if it gets that bad. If it won't become plugged with thousands of rounds of blanks through a barrel completely sealed by a blank adapter that forces all the dirty blank gases through the tube, it won't plug up period. :lol:
What WILL plug up a gas tube is a constant/regular diet of .22 LR RNL through a conversion bolt.

Lead & wax & carbon ... bleah.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I make it a point to shoot some standard .223 after using the .22LR conversion unit in mine. The idea is that this will blow out the gas tube.... I don't know if it does or not, but so far so good :)

Oh, and congrats Mike on your purchase!! Nice rig.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

I've never been able to really get into the AR-15 platform, or the
223 round. I'm not a varmint humter, where I could see the 223
as a viable round. I can't use it to hunt deer, so it would be strictly
a recreational shooter. I do have some access to inexpensive or
free 223 brass, but it's not tempting enough to go out and buy
an expensive rifle for!! LOL!

I'd get another SKS. The 7.62 X 39 round is plentiful and cheap, although
whether or not it's cheaper than 223 right now is questionable. It is more
powerful, though. The AR-15 has a higher practical rate of fire, and you can put
LOTS more (expensive!) gadgets on it, but I can buy at least 2 or 3 decent
SKS rifles for the price of one good AR-15.

You pays your money and takes your chances.

-Stretch
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Old Ironsights wrote:
sore shoulder wrote:
What WILL plug up a gas tube is a constant/regular diet of .22 LR RNL through a conversion bolt.

Lead & wax & carbon ... bleah.
And of course there is always the exception to the rule. However the exception doesn't negate the rule. :lol:

I suppose I shouldn't have said "...nothing will." :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
preventec47
Levergunner 2.0

Post by preventec47 »

I bought 3000 rounds of 7.62 x 54 ammo real cheap and
got a cheap 91/30 to shoot them but I would like a semi auto
to shoot them. I have heard there are some miilitary semi autos that shoot them Anyone know what they are ?

Otherwise I like the Saiga for semi auto for .308 cuz it is
cheap. Or I could get it in 762x38 ammo version.

Of course if I have to shoot puny bullets I would get the
Keltec.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

preventec47 wrote:I bought 3000 rounds of 7.62 x 54 ammo real cheap and
got a cheap 91/30 to shoot them but I would like a semi auto
to shoot them. I have heard there are some miilitary semi autos that shoot them Anyone know what they are ?...
None are cheap.

There are the SVD clones and the PSL clones, but they are near unobtanium.

There is a new gun out from MOVP of Russia called the VEPR that runs for about $950 (JGsales) but I think it uses proprietary 5rd mags and not the 10+ rd SVD/PSL mags...
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!